First recording ever purchased

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Re: First recording ever purchased

All right, mine is going to be the most embarrassing.  But I was 5 years old at the time.  I had just been given my first allowance and my mother or father asked what I was going to do with it.  I wanted to buy a record, of course.  That pattern would be a life-long hobby.

The first record was:  Does anyone remember Millie Small?  Yup, I bought "My Boy Lollipop," not having any idea what that meant.  All the grown-ups thought it was hilarious, though.

In my defense, my second record was "I Fought the Law" by The Bobby Fuller Four.  And that, my friends, is still a cool record.

The first album I bought (must have gotten a raise in allowance) was "Rubber Soul."

I managed to keep all my LPs, but as soon as I shipped off to college, my mother threw away all my 45s.  That was not a happy Christmas when I came home.  I had hundreds of original issue 45s in their original sleeves and I kept them in pristine condition.  All those Beatles (" The Beatles on Apple"), "Hey Jude" when it was first released - Mine was a misprint worth thousands today I'm sure.  It had "Hey Jude" on the green side but the sliced side had no information.  I remember thinking "Is there no song on the b-side?" and then discovering "Revolution."  Hundreds of 45s, Led Zep, Herman's Hermits, Janis Joplin, you know, top 40 in the 60s had SO MUCH cool music and I loved it all.  Me and Mom had a problem for a while after that.

Oh, and back to Beatles 45s, I had "Love Me Do b/w PS I Love You" and "She Loves You b/w I'll Get You" from their original releases pre-Ed Sullivan.  One was on Tollie Records (bright yellow as I recall) and the other was on Swan, Freddy "Boom-Boom" Cannon's label!  "She Loves You" was on Swan.  I also had  Introducing the Beatles on the 4 Seasons' label, VJ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Schmangell, I'll forgive you for "My Boy Lollipop" since you righted the ship with "I Fought the Law" and "Rubber Soul."  Now that is one hell of a first album. 

It's a sad tale what our respective mothers (and so many others) did to our various collections.  In my case, she gave away my 45's, my LP's, my baseball cards (including the complete 1956 Topps set) and my DC comics which included several first editions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

In Response to Re: First recording ever purchased:
    [QUOTE]Schmangell, I'll forgive you for "My Boy Lollipop" since you righted the ship with "I Fought the Law" and "Rubber Soul."  Now that is one hell of a first album.  It's a sad tale what our respective mothers (and so many others) did to our various collections.  In my case, she gave away my 45's, my LP's, my baseball cards (including the complete 1956 Topps set) and my DC comics which included several first editions.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]
    Sacrilege!  I gorgot about my baseball cards, still smelling like gum.  I didn't have a huge collection but I had saved my favorites - I know I had Mantle, Malzone, Yaz rookie card, etc.  I wasn't as upset because I thought at the time that they were, you know, just baseball cards, 5 cents a pack.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: First recording ever purchased : I did!  But then you had to buy X number per year after that at full price and most of the choices in the monthly catalog were crap.  So, sub-question:  how many broke the terms of the contract and had Columbia send a couple of feeble threatening letters before they gave up and went away?
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]Are you an agent provocateur? Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Schmangell, I'll forgive you for "My Boy Lollipop" since you righted the ship with "I Fought the Law" and "Rubber Soul."  Now that is one hell of a first album.  It's a sad tale what our respective mothers (and so many others) did to our various collections.  In my case, she gave away my 45's, my LP's, my baseball cards (including the complete 1956 Topps set) and my DC comics which included several first editions.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]
     So You're referring to the Bobby Fuller Four version of I Fought The Law, I take it?

Sections
Shortcuts