For Dad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

For Dad

This is a tough one for me to post. It's hard for me to come up with just the right words to express how I feel about my Dad, who passed away a little over a week ago. I chose a song that I think epitomizes his spirit. He always kept on pushing and working to achieve his dreams. No obstacles ever stopped him from pushing on. Not a serious childhood illness, not a financially challenging childhood, not the perils of WWII, not the academic challenges of college, not even the final challenge of Parkinson's disease which eventually imprisoned both his mind and body. For me, his death finally gave him his freedom from the shackles that his body and mind had become. I was sad to say goodbye, but happy to know he is now at peace and I am proud of the life he lived. I will always miss his sympathetic ear and his kind and gentle ways. He lived for his family and he died at home in their loving care.

Dad, this song is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvM0bDj3pOk 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: For Dad

DD - I am sorry or your loss. I have not been here for about 10 days as I had to rush to Florida as my favorite Uncle started taking his final journey and my Aunt needed me. He passed away on May 1st. Perhaps the two have met already.

Great song.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I wish you peace, DD, and offer you my sincere sympathy.  You're lucky you had a wonderful father to look up to.   

Here's a song that was on my mind, that seems to fit your father's attitude about life.  A cover version of this song is on a new-ish CD that I was listening to yesterday.  I'll post the original and the cover for you.   Peace.

Be Thankful for What You've Got - (original - Wm de Vaughn)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Aw, dd, I'm so sorry for your loss  {{hug}}.

I've been listening to this song a lot lately, and it's about weathering grief -- or at least that's what it says to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEN9hmpWFDE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Knowing that there is nothing more difficult than losing a parent....

I will remember you, will you remember me?
    Don't let your life pass you by,
    Weep not for the memories
    Remember the good times that we had?
    I let them slip away from us when things got bad.
    How clearly I first saw you smilin' in the sun
    Want to feel your warmth upon me
    I want to be the one

I will remember you, will you remember me?
    Don't let your life pass you by
    Weep not for the memories

I'm so tired but I can't sleep
    Standin' on the edge of something much to deep
    It's funny how we feel so much but we cannot say a word
    We are screaming inside, but we can't be heard

I'm so afraid to love you
    But more afraid to lose
    Clinging to a past that doesn't let me choose
    Once there was a darkness
    Deep and endless night
    You gave me everything you had, oh you gave me life

........my sympathies

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

DD, so sorry to hear about your Dad. He sounded like a truly admirable man.  I lost my mom 15 months ago, and I know how very hard it is to lose a parent. My condolences go out to you and your family.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

DD,I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.My deepest sympathy to you and your loved ones.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Thanks my cyber-friends for your kind words and songs. I just wanted to add another little bit about my Dad that is kind of music related. One day I had my Aretha Franklin cd collection out and my Dad walked by and looked at the picture of a young Aretha on the cover. He stopped and said "Who's the babe?" But just so you don't get the wrong impression from that remark, my Dad was a perfect gentleman who truly treasured and appreciated women for the beauty and tenderness they bring into the world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry for your loss David.

I worked with my dad for 10 years from 1976 to 1986.

We lost him in August of 1986. My mother has been gone since 1970.

I have many great memories. Some funny , some not.

I can remember my father , upon seeing the Beatles play on the Ed Suliivan Show, comment to me that he hoped I would never wear my hair long like the Beatles did ( this was like, 1963!). He never commented much ( he was kind of a quiet guy) about the Punk movement ...I can only imagine what he thought of safety pins, mohawks and orange or pink hair!
    My dad need not worry, I like short hair and have no desire for tattoos, piercings or cutting my hair in a mohawk style.

I have enjoyed Rock music since I got hooked on it back in the 60's....but , I never wanted to copy my musical favorites. I only want to look like me....why mess with perfection anyway Laughing. Thanks dad, for making me realize that I can like John Lennon or Ringo without having to look like them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Very sorry too hear DD.. all the best

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Thanks for you for the kind words and your personal memories, Zill. I have really been lucky to have had my parents around for so long. In the seventies, I let my hair get a bit long but my Dad didn't care. I inherited his bald trait so when you've got it, let it grow! Even Dad let his sideburns get a bit long in the seventies.