For the Lady Gaga dissenters...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Re: For the Lady Gaga dissenters...

I think her schtick has caused people to underrate her, but I thought that before seeing this video.

She is one of the hardest working performers in the the business, and she really puts her money and time where her mouth is, in terms of charitable donations.  So I have to give her kudos for that.

And she and Tony do great justice to The Lady Is a Tramp, for sure, Greg.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think she gives a honest effort.  It's her music and the "act" is what she wants it to be.  She's not packaged like some other pop artists. 

It's ironic that some people can't see beyond the schtik to appreciate her ability when many pop artists only have the schtik.  If you see beyond the schtik of most pop artists, there's nothing there.  With gaga, it's the opposite.

She's not that different from Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: For the Lady Gaga dissenters...:
    [QUOTE] She's not that different from Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

And this is exactly what the issue is.

Talented as she may be, she has stolen so much from so many. She's part Madonna, part Bowie, part Dale Bozzio and part Annie Lennox, and she even stole the leather outfits that Rob Halford used to wear.

I prefer singers like Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon and Tracy Chapman who survive on their talent alone without the dumb circus antics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I agree, Greg.  I don't own any of her music, and I always thought she was all image, but then relatively recently I realized that she writes most of her own stuff.  I am pretty sure you can't say that about Madonna.  And she plays instruments, again you can't say that about Madonna.

YOu can talk about copying the outfits and/or the outrageousness from others, but that's been going on a long long time.  FOr wild outfits you can look to classic country western acts -- one viewing of HeeHaw and you won't think sequins were invented by Gary Glitter.

:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Have no opinion one way or another. She performs music which I do not like. She can have all the talent in the world and it will not be pleasing to my tastes as a listener. I have no one specific thing I dislike. Referring Zilla's list, I am not a fan of Joni Mitchell either. Nothing against her talent, just dislike the music. I find it boring.

I want guitars and then more guitars on top of it. I want big drums and bass and a bombastic singer with a big ego. Now I am happy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

For me she has lost all credibility due to the crazy outfits (the meat dress among many others)  I  am not a big fan of the style of music to which I believe she falls into, yet I feel I can appreciate a good voice. Christina  Aguilera   has a voice which is impressive, but I just don't care for the pop music which she makes.  It's no big deal though, both of them seem to be doing just fine without me being on board.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Have no opinion one way or another. She performs music which I do not like. She can have all the talent in the world and it will not be pleasing to my tastes as a listener. I have no one specific thing I dislike. Referring Zilla's list, I am not a fan of Joni Mitchell either. Nothing against her talent, just dislike the music. I find it boring. I want guitars and then more guitars on top of it. I want big drums and bass and a bombastic singer with a big ego. Now I am happy.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I feel like I'm in good companyy with the two J-birds.  :)  

Nothing against her; I just don't think about her is more like it.  She's off my radar.  Not the type of music I listen to, and never was. Does nothing for me,  Judging from the 8 million views on youtube, she doesn't need me.  :)  She's welcome to go her way, TTFN, and all that.  And I'll go mine. 

But you know what?  If there's a singer I don't "get" it's Tony Bennett.  Man, his voice is ???   I once asked my Mum what the deal was with him, and you know what?  She said she never liked him either.   The only old crooner I like is Frank Sinatra.   Now that cat could sing.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: For the Lady Gaga dissenters... : I feel like I'm in good companyy with the two J-birds.  :)   Nothing against her; I just don't think about her is more like it.  She's off my radar.  Not the type of music I listen to, and never was. Does nothing for me,  Judging from the 8 million views on youtube, she doesn't need me.  :)   She's welcome to go her way, TTFN, and all that.  And I'll go mine.  But you know what?  If there's a singer I don't "get" it's Tony Bennett.  Man, his voice is ???   I once asked my Mum what the deal was with him, and you know what?  She said she never liked him either.   The only old crooner I like is Frank Sinatra.   Now that cat could sing.   
    Posted by yogafriend

"For my money, Tony Bennett is the best singer in the business. He excites me when I watch him. He moves me. He's the singer who gets across what the composer has in mind, and probably a little more." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorT_gsXzXI&feature=related

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

count me out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

see, the thing about gaga is that you're right about her being classically trained, a good songwriter, etc...

...but she dumbs everything down for her audience, which is something that i don't like.  she has such rabid fans that they would follow her whatever she did.   anything she put out would be played incessantly on multiple types of radio stations. 

with most likely a few exceptions, EVERY SONG of hers has that thump thump bass on every down beat.  1...2...3...4...etc, until the end of the song.  her chord progressions are so, so repetitive.  i have experienced a lot of her music, and while i respect her ability and whatnot, i can't stand the music she makes.  that grayson chance kid did a way better version of paparazzi than she ever did.

you wanna show balls?  lets see her do unplugged.  that will show the real musicianship, the real intricacies.  before she dumbed it down for the tweens.  hell, even t-pain plays solo on a piano without auto-tune at his shows. 

you want to hear a real songwriter turned solo artist?  listen to bruno mars.  that guy's got a killer voice, doesn't dumb it down, switches up styles, and writes ballads that could put gaga to shame and still writes songs for other artists.  plus, he wrote F--- You for Cee-Lo. :)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ballad is a pretty restricting term, being as they are generally a narrative.  i think over the years people sort of associate an epic song (usually on piano) with lovelorn lyrics or aspirational lyrics as a ballad.

for the broader sense, i literally just heard this on the radio and even if it's not a ballad by definition, it's about as heartfelt as they and melodic as they come.  i love the way he rides the hi-hat when the beat drops.

Bruno Mars - It Will Rain

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Just a second
    It's my favorite song they're gonna play
    And I cannot text you with a drink in my hand, eh?
    You should've made some plans with me
    You knew that I was free
    And now you won't stop calling me
    I'm kinda busy

Gaga may have a great voice.  And she may be classically trained on the piano.   And, quite frankly, I could give a rat's derriere about her crazy hair or wild outfits.   It is this sample of lyrics from her song, "Telephone" that really make me not like her at all.   The first time I heard this song I thought, "seriously?  You wrote a whole song about not answering your phone because you're too busy partying at a dance club.  Don't stop there - next write a song about how you are thrilled you can DVR your fave show so you don't miss it when you are out at a dance club."  

According to Gaga herself, "the lyrics portray herself preferring the dance floor instead of answering her lover's phone call and noted that the telephone addressed in the lyrics of the song is, in reality, a person telling her to continue working harder."   Sometimes, when an artist tells you that, you go back and listen to the song again and say, "I can totally see it!!" ...but I can't seem to do that with this song...or any of her songs. She might as well tell us that it's her protest to starving children in Africa or her plea for Animal Rights.

I would like the song much better if she had said "Yeah, it's just a stupid song meant for fun."  

Not every song has to have a deeper meaning attached to it.   Sometimes songs can just be stupid fun. 

I simply don't like her music because I find her lyrics dull and banal.  Felt the same way about Madonna...though I will say this: you could at least get out of Madonna's songs what she put into them. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Bruno Mars - It Will Rain
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

You approve Bruno Mars?    :D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For the Lady Gaga dissenters... : You approve Bruno Mars?    :D
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

he's as good as it gets these days in terms of vocal/instrumental/songwriting/producing talent.  he's one of the songwriters 'thesmeezingtons'.  they're sort of the newer, more normal 'the neptunes' (and pharrell was the breakout of that...even though he had been around prior, i believe...and chad hugo is just as important as well).

actually, both of them combine to make N.E.R.D. (Noone Ever Really Dies), a rock/hip hop group with a very eclectic resume, and i probably should have included them in the diverse bands thread.

as for Bruno, yes, i approve. :D

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Well, as I said before, I am not a fan of her music.  And I agree that the music itself (from what little I've heard of it) is repetitive.  But I think you can find silly or trivial songs in a lot of songwriters' collections without those ditties defining their whole output. 

Her song Born This Way has pretty much become the anthem of the It Gets Better campaign and has struck a huge chord with not only gay teens but lots of bullied and/or different kids.  I'm not one of her fans and I'm not even her target audience, but I've seen a lot of kids get almost weepy with appreciation for how Born This Way has touched them and helped them weather tough times.  And great or at least meaningful songs do connect with people viscerally like that.

I also give Gaga extra kudos, because I have heard that she has privately connected with a number of teens in crisis, so she walks her talk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I concur with what jesseyeric says....

...but I still like Joni Mitchell better than Cheap Trick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Well, as I said before, I am not a fan of her music.  And I agree that the music itself (from what little I've heard of it) is repetitive.  But I think you can find silly or trivial songs in a lot of songwriters' collections without those ditties defining their whole output.  Her song Born This Way has pretty much become the anthem of the It Gets Better campaign and has struck a huge chord with not only gay teens but lots of bullied and/or different kids.  I'm not one of her fans and I'm not even her target audience, but I've seen a lot of kids get almost weepy with appreciation for how Born This Way has touched them and helped them weather tough times.  And great or at least meaningful songs do connect with people viscerally like that. I also give Gaga extra kudos, because I have heard that she has privately connected with a number of teens in crisis, so she walks her talk.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

My teenage daughter has come to like Lady Gaga and she says one of the reasons is that Gaga really likes and respects her fans.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For the Lady Gaga dissenters... : My teenage daughter has come to like Lady Gaga and she says one of the reasons is that Gaga really likes and respects her fans.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

My daughter's friend is a Gaga fan and has said this as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For the Lady Gaga dissenters... : My daughter's friend is a Gaga fan and has said this as well.
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

Aw, Yoshi, I didn't get back here in time to bring up your Madonna comment ... (It didn't get past me, heh -- and you know, it's not like I luv her)  :D

Youthful ideals are nice.  Humility and respect go a long way.  But some day, GaGa might evolve into another Bono, and we all know how that goes down.  :D

Peace / out. 

Sections
Shortcuts