Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done).

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done).

Tricked you this time, you had to open the thread to find out which LP.

Crosby & Nash/ Wind on the Water from 1975.

11 great songs from David Crosby and Graham Nash, proving that it was nice to have Stephen Stills around, but they could make a great LP without him.

Carry Me
    Mama Lion
    Bittersweet
    Take the Money and Run
    Naked in the Rain
    Love Work Out
    Low Down Payment
    Cowboy of Dreams
    Homeward through the Haze
    Fieldworker
    To the Last Whale (A. Critical Mass/B.Wind on the Water)

One of those overlooked gems, that deserves a better fate than being shoved in the back of that closet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done).

This may seem a bit shocking but I am not even familiar with this album. I guess it is time to go to the classic album shop on City Island.

See Zil - I can always count on you to slap me in the face sometimes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done).

You see, the big identity crisis that Crosby and Nash suffer from is that most of the real popular C,S,N and C,S,N,Y songs were penned by Stills and Young. (example- Suite Judy Blue Eyes -Stills , Ohio - Young).

So even though many of the outstanding album tracks are written by Crosby and/or Nash (examples- Almost Cut My Hair-Crosby , Pre-Road Downs-Nash), they didn't really have a great radio presence with their years as a duo.

Nash's "Teach Your Children" is probably his best known song. And the one that gets the most air play.

I guess you had to be a really hardcore C,S,N,Y fan to get into listening to the Crosby & Nash albums. A lot of the studio musicians that play on this, and all of their LP's are the studio guys that played on the LP's by Jackson Browne, Don Henley,Linda Ronstadt, Warren Zevon and that whole California connection that were churning out great LP's back in the mid 70's on into the 80's. Craig Doerge(guitars?), David Lindley( violin) and Russ Kunkel (drums) were some of the names that I recall from memory.

There were many studio musicians that made appearances on numerous LP's back in those days. Some of these guys went on to form Toto and a group of great studio guys in the U.K. went on to form The Rumour (Graham Parker's band and they recorded also 3 solo LP's).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I've always thought one of the forgotten, or underrated, albums from the classic rock era was Blind Faith's self-titled and only release. "Can't Find My Way Home," "Presence of the Lord" and "Had to Cry Today" are fantastic tunes, and "Well All Right" is one of the great covers ever.

Speaking of covers ... the album cover is a bit disturbing, but the music is awesome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done).:
    [QUOTE]I've always thought one of the forgotten, or underrated, albums from the classic rock era was Blind Faith's self-titled and only release. "Can't Find My Way Home," "Presence of the Lord" and "Had to Cry Today" are fantastic tunes, and "Well All Right" is one of the great covers ever. Speaking of covers ... the album cover is a bit disturbing, but the music is awesome.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Not forgotten by me.

I consider it a real classic. Sort of a mini- marriage of Cream and Traffic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done).:
    [QUOTE]A lot of the studio musicians that play on this, and all of their LP's are the studio guys that played on the LP's by Jackson Browne, Don Henley,Linda Ronstadt, Warren Zevon and that whole California connection that were churning out great LP's back in the mid 70's on into the 80's. Craig Doerge(guitars?), David Lindley( violin) and Russ Kunkel (drums) were some of the names that I recall from memory. There were many studio musicians that made appearances on numerous LP's back in those days.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Jerry Garcia also -- played pedal steel guitar for Teach Your Children. Nash also penned "Our House", which is probably as famous as Teach...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

"Lee Shore," penned by Crosby,  an absolutely brilliant song

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I "inherited" an old album by Jefferson Airplane a while back.   A bit before my time, but very, very interesting. 

They seem really dated in some songs, but others are classics.  Do any of you think they are forgotten unjustifiably?   It looks like they were on top during the Woodstock era where there are still loads of bands that you hear all the time, but Jefferson Airplane seems to have been pushed into the back of the closet.

Are they a forgotten gem or do they belong in the back of the closet?  And perhaps I'm off the mark, and they are not forgotten, I'm not sure. 

Any opinions? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yoga

I think the Airplane smudged their own legacy with Starship. Although many bands have changed group members at different times, none of them so radically altered their music. The only other one I can think of is Genesis and at least with them, Phil did manage to write some very good tracks amongst some of the slosh that he wrote. Deep Purple and King Crimson have changed members more times than I can remember, but the music itself never lost its integrity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I "inherited" an old album by Jefferson Airplane a while back.   A bit before my time, but very, very interesting.  They seem really dated in some songs, but others are classics.  Do any of you think they are forgotten unjustifiably?   It looks like they were on top during the Woodstock era where there are still loads of bands that you hear all the time, but Jefferson Airplane seems to have been pushed into the back of the closet. Are they a forgotten gem or do they belong in the back of the closet?  And perhaps I'm off the mark, and they are not forgotten, I'm not sure.  Any opinions? 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I happen to be one of those peculiar people who doesn't find fault with Jefferson Starship.

First of all, the Airplane. This was THE hippie band of all time (forget Grateful Dead , close cousins of the Airplane, they were an awesome live band with mainly a cult following, but they couldn't match the Airplane over the short life of the Airplane...however not to slight them they are indeed legendary). The Jefferson Airplane was the embodiment of psychedlic , hippie , late 60's , drug induced ,Woodstock era heavyweight bands. When the hippie era passed the Starship embarked on a new journey (no pun intended in reference to another SF band) as a Pop /prog rock band. The Starship name and science fiction references are the brain child of group leader Paul Kantner , like myself , a sci-fi nut. Also a major element of the group was lost when guitarist Kaukonen and bass palyer Cassidy left to from a blues group, Hot Tuna ( a group that was to be named "Hot Sh*t, but their record labeled nixed it).

The transformation was necessary to the group's survival as they simply could not continue as a Psych- Hippie band in the mid 70's as the era had gone by.

Sadly songs like "We Built this City" have brought much dismay among classic 60's rock fans who loved the old Airplane as this song was very radio- friendly and popish , made out of the need for a top 40 hit , no doubt....and frankly, I think it succeeded in that area, but left the fans of "the old group" kind of angry thinking it was the band selling out.

The thing you have to remember about the later Starship is that it is almost an entirely different group form the original Starship , a group that stiil had the "bite" of Grace Slick penned tunes like "Fast Buck Freddie" which would have worked with the old Airplane era group.

There is an LP by Jefferson Starship which I like very much named 'Freedom at Point Zero" , the LP features a great rocker "Jane" which is one of the best rock songs of the late 70's. Also the LP 'Earth' has the return of Marty Balin from his solo career and is loaded with terrific songs.
    One of the elements of the early Starship that was fascinating was that Pete Sears was a real good keyboard player and Johnny Barbata was a very good drummer. Whether you like the songs or not, the music is well played by some very good muscians.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Definite thumbs up for the early "Jefferson Starship" in comparison to the later "Starship".  For me the key difference was Marty Balin's vocals, which I find quite soulful, and that character seemed to rub off on Grace.  The later vocalist, I think it was Mickey Thomas, was pretty much soul-less, and unfortunately that character also rubbed off on Grace.  The problem with "We Built This City" was (for me) not so much selling out as going through the motions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Forgotten albums of the classic rock era #? (I lost track of how many I've done). : I happen to be one of those peculiar people who doesn't find fault with Jefferson Starship. First of all, the Airplane. This was THE hippie band of all time (forget Grateful Dead , close cousins of the Airplane, they were an awesome live band with mainly a cult following, but they couldn't match the Airplane over the short life of the Airplane...however not to slight them they are indeed legendary). The Jefferson Airplane was the embodiment of psychedlic , hippie , late 60's , drug induced ,Woodstock era heavyweight bands. When the hippie era passed the Starship embarked on a new journey (no pun intended in reference to another SF band) as a Pop /prog rock band. The Starship name and science fiction references are the brain child of group leader Paul Kantner , like myself , a sci-fi nut. Also a major element of the group was lost when guitarist Kaukonen and bass palyer Cassidy left to from a blues group, Hot Tuna ( a group that was to be named "Hot Sh*t, but their record labeled nixed it). The transformation was necessary to the group's survival as they simply could not continue as a Psych- Hippie band in the mid 70's as the era had gone by. Sadly songs like "We Built this City" have brought much dismay among classic 60's rock fans who loved the old Airplane as this song was very radio- friendly and popish , made out of the need for a top 40 hit , no doubt....and frankly, I think it succeeded in that area, but left the fans of "the old group" kind of angry thinking it was the band selling out. The thing you have to remember about the later Starship is that it is almost an entirely different group form the original Starship , a group that stiil had the "bite" of Grace Slick penned tunes like "Fast Buck Freddie" which would have worked with the old Airplane era group. There is an LP by Jefferson Starship which I like very much named 'Freedom at Point Zero" , the LP features a great rocker "Jane" which is one of the best rock songs of the late 70's.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zilla,
    Okay, this explains quite a bit.  No (previous) connection for me that the morphed band from Airplane to Starship was responsible for "We Built This City" ... what a disconnect!  Now I can understand the double whammy of "hate / dislike" for that song from two standpoints (band selling out, and just plain horrible song for some of us)

But your explanation really says a lot for what happened, and why they lost credibility.  Maybe unfair to continue to see them as "Airplane" when they were a completely different band.  But that's water under the bridge. 

For me ... I have actually worked as a historian (not music history, that's an interest, certainly!), so I'm naturally curious and drawn to history of all kinds and putting things into context; that's why I think psychedelic music is so interesting, too.  Tells so much about the backdrop of when it was written and popularized.  Thanks for the history lesson, great job. 
    Oh, and Jane is an awesome song. 

Hey, jesseyeric and gerbs, great input, too, thanks, love it!!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Just listen to "coming Back To Me" off of surrealistic pillow and then somebody to love from the live album "bless it's pointed little head" and you can see the range of this group.  They ruled the sixties but imploded due to the abundance of talent in both songwriting and their ability to play their instruments (jorma and jack). (Everyone wanted to go a separate direction.) And they could write some of the best lyrics ever ("The summer had inhaled
    And held its breath too long The winter looked the same,As if it had never gone,And through an open window,Where no curtain hung,I saw you, I saw you,
    Coming back to me.")
    Heavy drug use and a changing political climate also played a part in their demise
    but I find that I am stopping on them while I rove my I-POD a lot of the time

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Just to name a few

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I've always thought one of the forgotten, or underrated, albums from the classic rock era was Blind Faith's self-titled and only release. "Can't Find My Way Home," "Presence of the Lord" and "Had to Cry Today" are fantastic tunes, and "Well All Right" is one of the great covers ever. Speaking of covers ... the album cover is a bit disturbing, but the music is awesome.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Agree. It's a great album. Makes you wonder what they could have done if the band didn't implode so soon. At least Cream was able to put out a few great albums in such a short period.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I just went on a long car ride, for work, and scrolled to this on the I-pod,  I had forgotten just how good this lp was.  Jackie Wilson Said, Listen to the lion, Independence day, and the title track.

Sections
Shortcuts