Forgotten heroes of early rock'n'roll- Surf guitar instrumental groups.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Forgotten heroes of early rock'n'roll- Surf guitar instrumental groups.

Before there was Clapton, Hendrix , Page , Blackmore, Van Halen, etc. there was Hank Marvin, Duane Eddy, Dick Dale and a whole bunch of super cool guys making the electric guitar sound loaded with reverb called "Surf Guitar."

Now, usually when people say the word "surf" everyone thinks "Beach Boys"...but I'm not talking about this mellow love story junk that made the Beach Boys darlings of the A.M. radio back in the 60's. I am talking about electric guitar sounds that were played fast and furious with LOTS of reverb.

Songs like 'Miserlou' , 'Apache', 'Ghost Riders In The Sky', 'Peter Gunn Theme', 'Wipe Out', 'Pipeline', 'Surfin' Bird' and 'The Savage' by artists like Duane Eddy, The Shadows, Dick Dale and his Deltones, The Ventures, The Challengers,The Surfaris, The Astronauts, The Trashmen, etc.

These bands, very popular around the early 60's influenced a whole legion of young kids some of who would be the rock stars of the late 60's and into the 70's. Including Jimi Hendrix who would take what Dick Dale started and improve upon it to the extreme, until the influence was almost not detectable.

But, when people talk about the "Classic" periods of Rock, this era ( short-lived as it was) is seldom discussed. The down side to the "British Invasion" followed closely by the Motown Sound and then the "Psychedlic era" is that a whole lot of great guitar driven , upbeat, heavy duty rock music is just a minor memory to most who were alive or a footnote in books to those who weren't.

So pull out your old Ventures records and get out your old 45 of 'Wipe Out' ( everybody who had a record player had this 45!), it's time to give these guys the credit they deserve....these are the forgotten greats of rock'n'roll!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Forgotten heroes of early rock'n'roll- Surf guitar instrumental groups.

I wore this record out as a kid...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Shadows were pretty damm cool...

...and a direct influence on one of my idols, Neil Young.

Link Wray's "Rumble" still gives me chills....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have always loved The Ventures and I think Apache is one of the great guitar songs.  Ghost Riders in the Sky is also a fantastic song.

I didn't know of Link Wray's Rumble until I saw the movie It Might Get Loud.  Jimmy Page paid tribute to it.  They showed a clip of it and Jimmy had this huge grin on his face while he was describing it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I've always been a big fan of the mid-sixties guitar sound... which was a very close relative of the surf sound

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

This is a great mellow surf album
    The Endless Summer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I sort of rediscovered this music back in the 90's. I was up in New Hampshire for the Nascar race and my friends had place we could stay overnight to avoid the Sunday traffic. We went to a tiny ( real small !) pizza joint in some small town near Loudon. They had a live band consisting of guitar (male), bass (female)  and drums (male). The girl sat out while the two guys played a ridiculously great version of Wipe Out.

I was just floored by how well these two guys rocked out. It was better than the race ...and it was free!

Also , while watching a documentary on the History of Rock on PBS in the 90's , I realized how much of an influence the groups mentioned in the O.P. had on future bands. I started seeking out anything and everything I could find. Sundazed Records was big into these reissues and I own quite alot of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I foam at the mouth over Surf instrumentals. Like Zilla, I didn't really get into them until many years after my youth. This wasn't music I was exposed to growing up, but discovered later in my adult years.

Dick Dale is truly the king of the surf guitar. Love the Ventures too. I have a bunch of Surf compilations on CD and like much genre music I'm into, I'm more into the "hits" than any one particular group. I have a bunch of CD's by the Del-Fi label, which put out al lot of Surf and Drag instrumentals. They also were the label that signed Ritchie Valens and released his huge single "Donna/La Bamba.

One of my favorite songs is "Sunset Beach" by the Sentinals. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXbUbyIxi0