Frank Turner (the "way he tends to be")

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Frank Turner (the "way he tends to be")

Frank Turner has a background in "hardcore punk" as a member of the band Million Dead (2001-2005).   He's been a solo act ever since, and here it is 2013, and I find myself, oddly enough, in "like" with Turner.  

You may know Frank Turner from his major hits, and in fact, may have been turned off by his hits such as "Recovery" and "I Still Believe"; he's also done a bang-up job on some covers such as "Build Me Up Buttercup" (although I know some of you would not think it bests the original by a long shot); he owns it in his rendition, and it's darn good.  He even dared to cover Queen's, "Somebody to Love" and again, he does it justice.  

He's alternative rock, but it's edgy folk rock, and I've grown fond of hearing his English accent belt out the lyrics of his songs.  I actually *like* his hit "Recovery" because the lyrics are "just right" and Turner delivers them with some pop sincerity.  

I'm considering getting his newest album, Tape Deck Heart.  It has a great theme (Classic break-up album) that follows the demise of a relationship.    "The Way I Tend to Be" is getting massive airplay lately, and it's got Turner's signature style all over it.  

The songs tell stories.   They're catchy.   They have an odd folk-punk feel to them, if that makes any sense.    Another case of an artist that has grown on me (and a lesson, once again, in "never say never").  :)

Thoughts, anyone?   NOTE: I will return to post a few links later.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Frank Turner (the

I've heard several of his songs, including the hits, which are ubiquitous.

Can't say they do anything for me.

Actually, to me they throw back a little to Pulp, Blur and 'Parklife'-ish anglophilia, which isn't a bad thing really, but now it just seems a little less inspired.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

He's ok live, especially when plugged in. I liked his stuff with Million Dead. His new acoustic stuff does not really appeal to me. Too gloomy, sappy, happy etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, well then ... good thing I only said I "liked" him, and nothing more.    It's not as awful as liking fun is it?   Only kidding.   Just found myself (oddly) getting into a few of the newer songs and wondered if there was anything further to explore.   Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

He's ok live, especially when plugged in. I liked his stuff with Million Dead. His new acoustic stuff does not really appeal to me. Too gloomy, sappy, happy etc.

I would think he's pretty good live.   

Sappy is not a good thing.  Did you buy the newest album, or are you talking about some singles you've heard?   Either way, I appreciate your  "warning label."   

Just trying to branch out a bit; it seems I am on a musical treadmill at times; I think my taste if fairly eclectic, but I, like many people, have my "pets", and there's always room to grow.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Sappy is not a good thing.  Did you buy the newest album, or are you talking about some singles you've heard?   Either way, I appreciate your  "warning label."   

Just trying to branch out a bit; it seems I am on a musical treadmill at times; I think my taste if fairly eclectic, but I, like many people, have my "pets", and there's always room to grow.   

Go for it, if you like him. I have not bought his latest, but do have England Keep my Bones., which is I think is his best album. There are some really good songs on that album, Eulogy, and  I am dissapeard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Go for it, if you like him. I have not bought his latest, but do have England Keep my Bones., which is I think is his best album. There are some really good songs on that album, Eulogy, and  I am dissapeard.

Okay, I'll see.  :)  (this is minor compared to some of the major expenses I have looming).   We share the same taste in music often (and at times, with "out-of-the-way" artists),  your "take" is always helpful to me.    Thanks.   :)

Sections
Shortcuts