Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios

Two free concert tickets are coming your way.    One you will refuse.   One you will take.

You refuse the first free ticket.   The band / solo artist is an act you refuse to see, don't want to see and dislike to such a degree, you turn down the opportunity of a free ticket.  You don't even want to be seen at this concert! 
    Who are you refusing to see free of charge?   NOTE: the default might be Gaga, Bieber, etc., but please dig a little deeper.  :)

The second ticket you decide to take and attend the concert.   The band / solo artist is an act you would not pay one thin dime to see, but with the offer of a free ticket, you take advantage of the ticket.  You're not having second thoughts about attending the concert, but the main reason you're going is because you copped a free ticket. 
    Who are you going to see with the free ticket?

If you want to annotate your response, that would be great.   If not, just provide the name of the act. 

Thoughts anyone? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios

Free Tix and still would not go ..... RUSH

"Anything ever written, played, hummed, whistled or thought of by the group Rush.  I firmly believe that if we pumped their "music" into Afghanistan our problems in that conflict would be over, although casualties on our side would be unacceptable.  Finger nails on a chalkboard sound better.  A choice between Rush and an Engelbert Humperdinck festival I would rather hear "Quando, Quando, Quando" for days than one note of Tom Sawyer.  I would rather have painful rectal surgery than hear 2 seconds of "Twilight Zone".  I would prefer a root canal where they used paper clips in lieu of whatever it is that they use, than listen to the opening notes of"limelight".  I have  replaced the word rush with hurry up in my vocabulary.  I don't even like typing the word rush on my computer.  I have to stop this raving and run my Norton anti-viral software and remove all remnants of their presence on my hard drive.  And in case you did not get the point, I don't really care for Rush."*

*I posted this some months ago and my feelings towards RUSH have not changed in that time

The EAGLES

I would check them out, providing it cost me nothing except my time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

1) Goo Goo Dolls - hard to measure just how much I despise them.

2) John Mayer - I like a handful of songs, otherwise just kinda meh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

1.) nickelback. gahhhhhhh. how i loathe thee. for way too many reasons.

2.) the decemberists. i hear they put on a good show but i'm just not as moved by their music as others. perhaps i need to experience it in the flesh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

1. Sheryl Crow -  This should be self-explanatory (at least I hope so).

2. Aerosmith  - Free ticket?  Okay.  Otherwise, they will never get my $$. 

Note: I'm realizing via my own question that there are many bands I'd refuse to see, even with a free ticket.  I should have asked you for a list.   mmmmmm. 
    :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

In Response to Re: Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios:
    [QUOTE]Free Tix and still would not go ..... RUSH "Anything ever written, played, hummed, whistled or thought of by the group Rush.  I firmly believe that if we pumped their "music" into Afghanistan our problems in that conflict would be over, although casualties on our side would be unacceptable.  Finger nails on a chalkboard sound better.  A choice between Rush and an Engelbert Humperdinck festival I would rather hear " Quando, Quando, Quando " for days than one note of Tom Sawyer.  I would rather have painful rectal surgery than hear 2 seconds of "Twilight Zone".  I would prefer a root canal where they used paper clips in lieu of whatever it is that they use, than listen to the opening notes of"limelight".  I have  replaced the word rush with hurry up in my vocabulary.  I don't even like typing the word rush on my computer.  I have to stop this raving and run my Norton anti-viral software and remove all remnants of their presence on my hard drive.  And in case you did not get the point, I don't really care for Rush."* *I posted this some months ago and my feelings towards RUSH have not changed in that time The EAGLES I would check them out, providing it cost me nothing except my time.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Wow....lot of Rush hatred here.  Few would argue that they lack talent, but I bet you would.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

1. Kid Rock - bad music, worse politics, would not risk putting one red-neck cent in his pocket in case he gets a cut of parking/concessions etc.  Also would want to avoid the spectacle of running out of the arena, hands over ears and screaming when he starts in with the ripped off Zevon lick.

2. Usher - really not my style, but I have a feeling it might be entertaining nonetheless.  Was going to put Gaga here with similar rationale, but I could see someday being willing to pay since I have in fact paid for both Madonna and Cher (but really more because of my partner's likes).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Refuse to see...or, refuse to be seen at...?

Bit of a difference there, methinks....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios : Wow....lot of Rush hatred here.  Few would argue that they lack talent, but I bet you would.
    Posted by ThinkSnow99[/QUOTE]

"For years I have heard that Rush are great musicians.  This may be true but my argument is that Darth Vader was first a great Jedi warrior, one of the best, with unlimited promise.  But he chose to use his powers for the dark side and  for evil.  Much like rush"*

*I posted this some months ago as a retort to someone who told me that RUSH are very talented musicians

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]1. Kid Rock - bad music, worse politics, would not risk putting one red-neck cent in his pocket in case he gets a cut of parking/concessions etc.  Also would want to avoid the spectacle of running out of the arena, hands over ears and screaming when he starts in with the ripped off Zevon lick. 2. Usher - really not my style, but I have a feeling it might be entertaining nonetheless.  Was going to put Gaga here with similar rationale, but I could see someday being willing to pay since I have in fact paid for both Madonna and Cher (but really more because of my partner's likes).
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]
    gerbs,
    Madonna and Cher are worth the price of admission, IMHO. 
    Gaga ... not so much.  Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

To refuse to see a concert vs. refuse to be seen at a concert? 

Ahhh, well. :)

In the way I posed the query, I put "in fact, you don't want to be seen at this concert" for emphasis, just hyperbole. 

How would the responses have varied, I wonder, if there were two separate questions.   I don't want to see concert "X", but that doesn't mean I have a problem with being seen there?   mmmmm.  Or is this just going to get us no where and I can try to come up with "Give Me Convenience" Part 3 for another discussion?   Give me some time. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios : "For years I have heard that Rush are great musicians.  This may be true but my argument is that Darth Vader was first a great Jedi warrior, one of the best, with unlimited promise.  But he chose to use his powers for the dark side and  for evil.  Much like rush"* *I posted this some months ago as a retort to someone who told me that RUSH are very talented musicians

You've confirmed my long-held suspicion that certain groups - and Rush may top this list - are strictly love 'em or hate 'em with little-to-no gray area.

Best as I can tell, most of this hatred flows around Geddy Lee's singing voice (his speaking voice is normal as can be), but I am willing to hear alternate theories.

I smell a doctoral dissertation in there somewhere...will someone at MIT get on this one please, stat...???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios : "For years I have heard that Rush are great musicians.  This may be true but my argument is that Darth Vader was first a great Jedi warrior, one of the best, with unlimited promise.  But he chose to use his powers for the dark side and  for evil.  Much like rush"* *I posted this some months ago as a retort to someone who told me that RUSH are very talented musicians

Fair enough.  I'm not a huge fan either, but I like the drums in their music.

As for the topic....put me down for Marilyn Manson.  Can't stand the music, can't stand the person, can't understand his fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

FYI ... my Rush rant comes from the fact that a few years ago I was offered 2 free tickets to see RUSH , I chose not to be seen at and not to go to their "show"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]FYI ... my Rush rant comes from the fact that a few years ago I was offered 2 free tickets to see RUSH , I chose not to be seen at and not to go to their "show"
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]You "lived" the question.  Why didn't you say so in the first place? 
    Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]FYI ... my Rush rant comes from the fact that a few years ago I was offered 2 free tickets to see RUSH , I chose not to be seen at and not to go to their "show"

It's Geddy's voice, isn't it...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Free concert ticket decisions -- two scenarios : It's Geddy's voice, isn't it...?
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

yeah they really are phenomenal musically, not many three piece bands can put out that much/quality of sound.

as for his voice, sometimes i can get into it, other times absolutely not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

His voice ..... definitely his voice.  I can't hear anything else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Funny...because I've had a couple of people mention the same thing re: The Decemberists and that weird pseudo-english accent that Colin Meloy uses.

Ditto My Morning Jacket/Jim James and even Radiohead/Thom Yorke.  (Personally, I think they both have great tonality/inflection while the former has a lot of soul....)

Maybe a thread topic for another day...I'm going to get my Hemispheres on....

:P

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]His voice ..... definitely his voice.  I can't hear anything else.

Understood.

Perhaps then I could suggest an instrumental...La Villa Strangiato or YYZ...?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yyz!!!!!!!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Scenario1: would not see regardless  Aerosmith
    Scenario2: would go only if a free ticket Neil Young

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpongeBob50. Show SpongeBob50's posts

Scenario 1:Jimmy Buffet - once was enough for me, thank you.
    Scenario 2: Assuming he was still alive of course, Michael Jackson

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Scenario 1.  I will second phsmith on Nickelback.  I literally wouldn't go see them if you paid me.

Scenario 2.  There are a few that fit in that category.  One real-life example I had a few years ago was seeing Motley Crue.  Free tickets was the only thing that got me there.  The same would go for bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard,  Van Halen. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You would need a lot of strong nylon cord to drag me anywhere near a U2 concert. This is not merely because I don't much care for sermonizing with my music, but also because I used to date a girl who played Rattle and Hum incessantly (on video, no less) during out relationship, and just because . . .  you know . . .  it's enough already, Bono. As far as I'm concerned, a ticket to a U2 show is a very expensive bookmark.

The other part of the question is much easier. There are any number of bands I would not consider paying money to see, but would happily enjoy for free if the opportunity presented itself . . .  and given the way the thread has gone to this point, I think Rush is a good example of one of those bands.