Furthur / Bob Weir's stage fall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Furthur / Bob Weir's stage fall

Reportedly, Bob Weir took a bad fall in a recent performance with his band, Furthur, a Grateful Dead offshoot band, founded by two original GD band mates,  Weir and Phil Lesh.

Weir fell at a performance at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY, on April 25th.   Following his assisted exit from the stage, and after a short pause, the band returned to the stage without Weir. Bassist Phil Lesh told the crowd that Weir had suffered from a strained shoulder earlier in the day and would not be able to finish the concert with them. The band played on, with a mixed response from the audience.  

Two days later on April 27th, Weir performed with the band in Atlantic City, with his usual vitality.  

However, Weir's shoulder issues have not vanished, and his condition is forcing the band to pull out of an upcoming music festival gig in May.  The band was scheduled to perform at the Bottle Rock Festival in Napa Valley, CA, this being its inaugural year.  The band seemed to be a distinct addition to the lineup (many of the headliners are significant bands, but they are festival standards at this point, as we have discussed); it's certain many fans will be very disappointed with this news.   But there it is.  

Just reporting a bit of GD-related news, since it seems that the Dead's music is inviting, magnetic summertime music. 

Has anyone seen Furthur perform?   Have any interest in them? (or has that ship sailed?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Furthur / Bob Weir's stage fall

Bob Weir is now something like 65 years old....which is not terribly old. However, recent pictures of him make him look at least 75.

Perhaps he used too much LDS , back in the sixties ( Star Trek humour from the movie Star Trek IV...in case you didn't know). Maybe it's time for these aging rockers to play from a stool , B.B.King style....especially if they abused their bodies way back when. And you just know most of them did just that....especially the Psychedlic SF bands.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Bob Weir is now something like 65 years old....which is not terribly old. However, recent pictures of him make him look at least 75.

Perhaps he used too much LDS , back in the sixties ( Star Trek humour from the movie Star Trek IV...in case you didn't know). Maybe it's time for these aging rockers to play from a stool , B.B.King style....especially if they abused their bodies way back when. And you just know most of them did just that....especially the Psychedlic SF bands.

Drugs take their toll, but at least he's still alive, which is more than we can say for many other rockers who have met untimely deaths.  

RE: Star Trek ... you're right, I'm not a Trekkie.   LDS?   That's Star Trek humor?   hahaha.  Okay. Wink

I did see "Galaxy Quest" however, and thought it was a great flick.   I laughed, of course (although I didn't get all the "inside" jokes)  ... but all I can remember was that there were times I couldn't hear the lines in the movie because the audience (filled with Trekkies, of course) were howling, louder than at any comedy I'd ever seen in my life.   People were rolling in the aisles  --  in complete hysterics.   True fun.  You've seen it, I'm sure.  

RE: your news / media thread.   For me, the most searing, brilliant satire is "Being There" -- the book by Jerzy Kosinski -- starring Peter Sellers in the film.   You must have seen it.   Totally skewers the media, the misguided following of celebrity, addiction to TV and passivity, etc.    Could not be more spot on.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

I didn't hear about this.  He must have fallen and hurt it to the point it's uncomfortabel with the shoulder strap.  I am still waiting for the Bobby Weir "short shorts" shorts line to come out. lol

He's proud of those nuthuggers. haha

I had to delete the pic to respond -- laughing too hard.   SEXY.  He dressed like that?  Really?    

They didn't have any details about the fall in the article I read.   I mostly noticed it because it was the announcement that Furthur had dropped out of the festival in Napa Valley in May.  

[QUOTE] 

Yeah, all the offshoot incarnations are very good, IMO. Furthur just includes all the remaining and alive members, while Weir's Ratdog and Lesh's Phil and Friends are their own personal Dead projects, which are both very good, IMO.

Weir surrounds himseilf with top notch musicians, as does Lesh, so the shows are more about how those musicians play off one another behind the Dead tunes and covers.

Phil's thing is to bring in a guest singer as the feature for each tour, play some of that person's tunes, mixed in with the Dead tunes. 

I rememebr when they first started to try to figure out how to do it, they were touring as the Dead with people like Warren Haynes (not the best fit, IMO) and then Joan Osbourne (pretty good, I thought), but then they decides to do separate projects for the guest singer concept (which only Phil really adopted).

I haven't seen Ratdog in about 5 years, same with Phil and Friends, mainly because Bob and Phil have been trotting out Furthur instead.

As a side note, if you want a live Dead experience, check out Dark Star. They're a cover band, based out of Chicago, but seriously, if you're younger and want a fun experience, they bring the goods and it's only like $25 as opposed to $75 for a Furthur show. Literally each player does a nice job channeling the sounds of each original Dead member (for the most part).

In fact, the lead player and singer, the guy who channeled Jerry Garcia in Dark Star (John Kaledcik), was hired for Furthur.  It's no joke. No one will ever replace the heart and soul of Garcia, but it's not offensive at all, IMO. 

His replacement in Dark Star, is a chubby guy who kind of looks like Garcia a bit (more like Dave Schools from WSP), and is also very good, IMO.

Hope that helps break it down.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks.   I'd have nothing against seeing a Dead tribute band; I didn't know Dark Star was a tribute band.   The best tribute bands, as you said, are good $$ deals, you hear the music played the way the band would have, and you have fun.   Nothing wrong with that.  

It looks like they are trying to keep Further alive for the time being, just based on the article, and they're having great success with it, even after all these years.   I find it hard to believe that the fans still come out, but apparently they do.   It's incredible.

I had to laugh in the "Playlist" thread at the comment that if you put on an old Grateful Dead bootleg / concert, 3-hours on the road will go by in no time flat.   Hahahaha.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Weir wasn't that big of a drug taker as compared to some others in the band.  Who knows how a shoulder injury or maybe him tripping on something on stage, tied to his shoulder giving out with cords, etc, all around is all about, but I don't really think it's drug related.

Just saying.

I don't think it was a current drug-related fall, either.   They give no details, just say he fell / collapsed and hurt his shoulder.   Seems to have been down-played, if anything.   

Also states that he'll be back on the road in June, and on tour in July:

"The statement adds that the 65-year-old Weir plans to hit the road in late June for solo shows.

Weir formed Furthur with fellow Grateful Dead member Phil Lesh. Furthur's summer tour kicks off July 11 in Brooklyn, N.Y."

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ok, I just watched the clip on You Tube. It almost looked like he had a stroke, heart attack or a bout of vertigo. Or, it's drug related. 

Did he sustain the shoulder injury from that kind of a fall, or had he already injured.

Then again, maybe he collapsed due to Lesh's painful droaning vocal on Unbroken Chain? hehe

Also, what is with the chair? They had that thing right out there pretty quick mirroring CLark Griswold getting Aunt Edna propped up on top of the family truckster.

They should have just sent em off the hospital.  The funny part is the fans clapping, twice. Once when he got up and once when they propped him up in the chair.

Odd.

You watched the video -- good job.  I'll check it out when I have a minute later.

He had hurt his shoulder prior to the concert.   The fall sounds unrelated.   Why they didn't take him to the hospital is anyone's guess, but they should have.   I hope he doesn't get back on the road too soon for his own good.

Sounds like the actual cause of the fall is being kept hush-hush.  

Funny coincidence, but I happened to see that Dark Star is playing at the House of Blues on May 30th.    There are a couple of NH tour dates, too, while they are in this neck of the woods.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Concur with most sentiments here, having seen Dead, Furthur, Phil & Friends, Ratdog, Weir/Wasserman, The Other Ones, et al. shows all multiple times...

...as well as several cover bands, the best of which I admit is Dark Star Orchestra - whose shows I highly recommend to those who may want a taste of the musical experience.  The lower price is a plus, and given that they play classic GD setlists nearly song-for-song on any random night, it's also a fun way to explore the vast back catalog.

I don't believe Bob will ever stop performing while he lives.  At heart, he is a rocker and always will be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

For the Greatful Dead fan.....

The Grateful Dead has announced a 14-disc box set featuring five complete shows from May 1977.

While some consider the group’s May 8, 1977 well-circuated concert recording from Cornell University’s Barton Hall to be one of the best, few have had the opportunity to appreciate the shows that followed on the Spring 1977 tour because there weren’t many good tape recordings in circulation.

The new box set, out June 11th, contains concert audio from St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11), Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17).

May 1977 will be limited to 15,000 individually number copies and, besides the 14-discs, comes with individual liner notes, an in-depth essay about the group’s return after hiatus by Grateful Dead historian Steve Silberman, artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, and period photos.

Also out on June 11th are digital versions of the 111 audio tracks via FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads.

Fans can preview seven of the tracks. RollingStone.com has two songs – “Uncle John’s Band” from the St. Louis Arena and “Sugar Magnolia” from the University of Alabama’s Coliseum. The other five songs, “Wharf Rat” (5/11/77), “Mississippi Half-Step” (5/12/77), “Jack-A-Roe” (5/13/77) “Dancing In The Street” (5/15/77) and “Terrapin Station” (5/17/77), are available for preview on Dead.net.

See the complete track listing and order your box set at Dead.net.

David Lemieux, audiovisual archivist for the Grateful Dead, talks the May 1977 box set in the below video.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts