Fussing Over 1991

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Fussing Over 1991

Taking Sides: Which albums from 1991 should we really be fussing over?

From the Washington Post -- This is the column where I saw the news clip on PJ20.  
    Thought you'd also be interested in the rest of the commentary on 1991.  20 years now, since many other great albums were released.   Here are a few takes on a some unusual, lesser known releases of that era.   
    Discs overlooked or acclaimed?  Thoughts, anyone?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 1991-ophilia continues on Friday when PBS airs “PJ20,” Cameron Crowe’s fawning documentary about Pearl Jam’s two decades of existence. (Stay tuned for a review in tomorrow’s Post). And while Pearl Jam’s debut album, “Ten,” is just one of many classic 1991 albums that have been celebrated this year — “Achtung Baby,” “Nevermind,” “Blood Sugar Sex Magik” — plenty of albums released that year have gone overlooked. For this week’s Taking sides post, Click Track’s contributors shine their lights on three unheralded discs that turn 20 this year.

Chris Richards: I wish I was reading more anniversary keystrokes about the KLF’s 1991 album “The White Room.” Before Lady Gaga was being shuttled into the Grammys in an alien pod, the KLF were firing machine gun blanks at awards shows (at the 1992 BRIT Awards) . Before activists were occupying Wall Street, the KLF were protesting capitalism by setting huge piles of cash on fire (the duo burned one-million pounds in 1994). Before Rick Rubin got behind Johnny Cash and Jack White teamed up with Loretta Lynn, the KLF recorded a house music crossover hit with Tammy Wynette. (She stood by the JAMs on “Justified and Ancient,” the second best song on “The White Room” after “3 a.m. Eternal”). And before young America decided to make 2011 the year that EDM broke, the KLF were mixing art, politics and electronic dance music with a fearlessness that still feels another twenty years ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEOESuiYcA

Allison Stewart: I'd have to go with the tremendousness that wasSoundgarden’s “Badmotorfinger.” It gets overlooked because, unlike Pearl Jam’s “Ten,” it wasn’t an explosive breakthrough disc, just the latest in a line of solid Soundgarden discs. What's even more remarkable about 1991 is how many GOOD albums there were: Screaming Trees, Hole, Matthew Sweet, the Pixies, Throwing Muses. All near-classic, solid stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0tBQeul_7s

David Malitz: It did get the deluxe reissue treatment earlier this year but Material Issue’s “International Pop Overthrow” remains very overlooked. It sounds like it came from a completely different era than the Seattle superstars that released albums later in that year — the last gasp of “college rock” before the big “alt-rock” takeover. Less angst, more longing — the first three songs all feature a woman’s name in the title (“Valerie Loves Me,” “Diane,” “Renee Remains the Same”). And “Valerie Loves Me” was always one of the best songs to randomly hear on WHFS back in the day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi5S5G6rbsA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Fussing Over 1991

Agreed with Ms. Stewart above...all good choices, esp. Screaming Trees - a big, unheralded influence on 90s rock - and the related Temple Of The Dog.

Here's a few more I really like:

Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese

Massive Attack - Blue Lines (incredible)

Blues Traveler - Travelers & Thieves

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (essential)

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (essential)

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque (hear: "What You Do To Me")

P.S.  If you liked Blood Sugar..., you should REALLY check out Infectious Grooves' The Plague That Makes Your Body Move (also 1991) for some real funky metallic awesomeness....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - VH
    Hollywood Vampires - LA Guns
    Slow, Deep and Hard - Type O Negative
    Use Your Illusions 1 & 2 -GnR

Just to name a few

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Tom Petty- Into The Great Wide Open
    Jethro Tull- Catfish Rising
    The Pop Will Eat Itself-Cure For Sanity
    U2 - Achtung Baby!
    Warren Zevon-Mr. Bad Example
    Nirvana-Nevermind
    The Cult-Ceremony
    Pixies-Trompe le Monde
    Ozzy Osbourne-No More Tears
    The Smithereens-Blow Up
    Rush -Roll the Bones
    Psychedelic Furs-World Outside

(sorry, I listed the title first ,group last from this point forward).

Slinky -The Milltown Brothers
    Hey Stoopid-Alice Cooper
    Mighty Like A Rose-Elvis Costello
    God Fodder-Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Ordinary Average Guy-Joe Walsh
    Cereal Killers-Too Much Joy
    Green Mind- Dinosaur Jr.
    Different World-Uriah Heep
    Int'l Pop Overthrow- MaterialIssue
    Doubt -Jesus Jones

That's my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Massive Attack has been around 20 years?   Amazing.
    And Material Issue, which I'd never heard before seeing the article, seem worth checking out, too.  Great pop/alt sound.  So much great music from the 90's.   Nice lists and honorable mentions.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Fussing Over 1991:
    Massive Attack has been around 20 years?   Amazing. And Material Issue, which I'd never heard before seeing the article, seem worth checking out, too.  Great pop/alt sound.  So much great music from the 90's.   Nice lists and honorable mentions.  
    Posted by yogafriend

I know, huh?  Makes me feel just a little old...

And then I realize that I'm going to see the Pixies at the end of the month - 20 years after Trompe Le Monde came out.  Unreal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Fussing Over 1991 : I know, huh?  Makes me feel just a little old... And then I realize that I'm going to see the Pixies at the end of the month - 20 years after  Trompe Le Monde came out.  Unreal.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Why did 1971 seem like a really, really, really long time ago in 1991, but 1991 does not seem like a very long time ago in 2011.

A paradox of time, no doubt...when is 20 years not 20 years?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Fussing Over 1991 : I know, huh?  Makes me feel just a little old... And then I realize that I'm going to see the Pixies at the end of the month - 20 years after  Trompe Le Monde came out.  Unreal.
    Posted by MattyScornD
    The thing about the Pixies is that they had mystique because of their untimely breakup -- many people who were coming of age in the 80's could only experience their recordings, with no new music to look forward to ... then BAM.  They reunited.    Don't forget to dig up the concert thread and give us a review of the concert.   Hope it meets expectations.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Fussing Over 1991 : Why did 1971 seem like a really, really, really long time ago in 1991, but 1991 does not seem like a very long time ago in 2011. A paradox of time, no doubt...when is 20 years not 20 years?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    This might not be what you want to hear, but doesn't time go more slowly when you're young(er) and seem to "speed up" as you age?   No, that can't be right. :D

I don't think of myself as "stuck" in the 90's, but I (still) love lots of 90's music and I'm aware that I'm discovering many bands that took hold in that decade.   Many are still going strong.   Our discussions have brought more dimension to the music of the nineties lately, too  -- much more full-bodied and laudatory.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Where are my posts going? Last night I mentioned "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains and today it is gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU&ob=av2e

This is the song of 1991

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Where are my posts going? Last night I mentioned "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains and today it is gone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU&ob=av2e This is the song of 1991
    Posted by jesseyeric

That's because you posted it on the 1980's thread, buddy.  Are you and Carnie smoking the same stuff?  Send me some.Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Fussing Over 1991 : The thing about the Pixies is that they had mystique because of their untimely breakup -- many people who were coming of age in the 80's could only experience their recordings, with no new music to look forward to ... then BAM.  They reunited.    Don't forget to dig up the concert thread and give us a review of the concert.   Hope it meets expectations.  
    Posted by yogafriend

Been there, saw that.  And yes, I was just old enough to see Pixies a couple of times before they broke up...(then again recently)

...which is why, when I heard Nirvana for the first time, it was, "Hey, wait a sec..."

Sections
Shortcuts