G N' R... and now there is one (original member, that is)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

G N' R... and now there is one (original member, that is)

Following the Pink Floyd discussions, everything will be somewhat lackluster, but can you muster a little enthusiasm to address GNR?   

"Appetite for Destruction" continues its reign as the best-selling debut album of all-time in the United States and world-wide.  This of course doesn't mean it's the best album of all time, and it doesn't mean there aren't other debut albums that are in the same peer group, but no one can reasonably dispute or dismiss what that album delivered in its day (and beyond).   You're all better versed that I am in the era from which "Appetite" and the band rose to fame  -- as they say, timing is everything, and the arrival of the band and the album had the benefit of perfect timing.  

Aside from this propitious debut, what do you think of GNR over time?

In the present incarnation,  Axl Rose is the only original member still standing in the band's lineup.   Is this even GNR (to you) any longer?   If not, when did you drop them from your radar?  

As you know, they will soon be inducted ... oh, forget it. :)

Thoughts, anyone? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: GNR... and now there is one (original member, that is)

I think they are a real good band. But, really they are extremely over-rated.

Had they not been popular in the 80's when this type rock was in a dormant phase they would have been lost among the thousands of guitar-oriented bands of the 70's. I consider them to be somewhat of a clone of a clone. Aerosmith was a cheap Stones clone, and G'N'R was a slightly better clone of Aerosmith.

I am not saying these bands were identical, but just that the two latter day bands were heavily influenced by the masters , Mick , Keith and the boys. You don't have these two bands without the Stones. And, personally the masters, even in their older years did it better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

another band that did nothing for me ever... Never liked them. Never liked Rose and that voice. Never liked Slash's dumb hair and hat (although he is supposed ot be a great guitarist) another group that I woouldnt give the light of day too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ditto - WDYWN

To add to Zilla's point - yes, GnR is a band which was heavily influenced by Aerosmith who in turn had been influenced by the Stones/Yardbirds who in turn had been influenced by The Blues.

That being said, although they came out in the mid 80's where hard guitar rock was the main stay of MTV and Rock radio, Guns was slightly different in their appeal. They were as mean and nasty as the Thrash scene that was also emerging at the time, but kept their Blues influences. They worte some beautiful ballads, but did not succumb to the formula that Poison, Warrant, Bon Jovi and others had follwed to the exact note. Guns had a different thought process and that had to do with the diversity of its original line-up. Remember, Guns is an offhsoot of Hollywood Roses and LA Guns. Izzy, Slash, Duff and Axl were coming from 4 different places. Just listen to the music that they recorded once this line-up had disbanded.

Use Your Illusions, both albums are amazing & should be considered as two separate entities.

In my opinion, Guns along with Def Leppard, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax & Motley Crue are the five most important hard rock bands to come out of this decade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not much traction, but no two responses alike from a random sample.  Somewhat polarized.  

Worth getting hold of "Appetite" at this point in time?   After reviewing the metal thread, there were quite a few people who had that album as a favorite or top pick, FWIW.   The album seems to have made the cut, if not the band (or at least the legacy band).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: GNR... and now there is one (original member, that is):
    [QUOTE]No. To me, Guns n' Roses does not exist. It ceased to exist when Axl's belligerent egomaniac/paranoid streak flared up in the early 90s, forced band members to sign over property rights to various G n' R works before going on stage at various shows, and then drove everyone away with his awfulness. 

Beyond that, he's not even a singer to me any more. Chinese Democracy must have taken 10,000 takes per song, because Axl simply cannot sing live anymore. Hell, in my opinion, his live singing devolved into scratchy squaking around 90-91. You simply cannot smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish, drug like Keith Richards, spend your concerts sprinting hundreds of feet between lyrics....     ...and sing well. 
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Wish you would be more direct.  It's very difficult to get a read on how you feel.
    :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Not much traction, but no two respones alike from a random sample.  Somewhat polarized.   Worth getting hold of "Appetite" at this point in time?   After reviewing the metal thread, there were quite a few people who had that album as a favorite or top pick, FWIW.   The album seems to have made the cut, if not the band (or at least the legacy band).
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

GnR's catalogue starting with Appetite all the way through to both Illusions is worth having. I am one of the rare one who enhoyed the Spagetti Incident. I liked their versions of Black Leather, Hair of the Dog and several others. But obviously it is not a must have.

I do disagree with the notion that Axl cannot sing live anymore. Now I have not seen the latest GnR live, but all reports I have read have stated that he was in good voice.

I am not the biggest fan of C.D.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I always felt they came on the scene too late, their style of music had peaked and was on a quick decline. Had they come out 5, 6, 7 years earlier I feel they would of had greater success. If they could have hedged off the in-fighting.

But damm that first record was GREAT...Tough to follow that up in general, tougher with the changing music scene happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I always felt they came on the scene too late, their style of music had peaked and was on a quick decline. Had they come out 5, 6, 7 years earlier I feel they would of had greater success. If they could have hedged off the in-fighting. But damm that first record was GREAT...Tough to follow that up in general, tougher with the changing music scene happening.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think they came out at the perfect time. They were the first nail in the coffin for the hair bands; not grunge. They were not anywhere near as slick as Poison, Bon Jovi, etc. As for the infighting, as mentioned earlier, Axl was a complete and total A.H.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The first time I heard GNR was in the Clint Eastwood movie "The Dead Pool" around 1988.One of the characters was supposed to be making a music video and the song he did was "Welcome to the Jungle".I found out later,the band also appeared in the movie as extras in a funeral scene.I went out and got Appetite soon afterwards.Killer,killer album,there isn't a song I still don't like on it.
      Lies was a decent album.I used to love her was my favorite track off it.
     I always thought it was kind of strange that they debuted both of the "Use your illusion" albums on the same day.I can't remember any other rock band  who has done that.It was around this time that I thought they'd be the next generation "Super group",like I considered the Beatles,Who,Zepplin or Stones to be.I was soon proven wrong.
      The Spaghetti Incident really didn't do it for me.Although I think they did a decent job with the "Hair of the dog" cover.
      I recently watched a GNR performance (with Axl only) on TV that wasn't bad,but it lacked the rawness and driving sound of the original group.
      If I had a choice,I'd go to a Slash concert before I'd go see the new GNR  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]The first time I heard GNR was in the Clint Eastwood movie "The Dead Pool" around 1988.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Did you not own a radio or tv in 1987?  haha

Not trying to be a wise guy, but you couldn't do anything or go anywhere in 1987 and not have heard or seen any GnR material around.   Same thing with Hysteria by Def Leppard.  That was huge, huge stuff that spring/summer that just carried in for pretty much 2 years.

If you weren't even a music fan, at some point, somehow you would have walked by a tv in the mall or heard someone's car stereo with this stuff coming out of it.

Anyway, not trying to be pick on you, but I've never even heard of that Eastwood movie, so it's funny that is where you heard one of the biggest singles of the 1980s for the first time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: GNR... and now there is one (original member, that is) : Actually, I think they came out at the perfect time. They were the first nail in the coffin for the hair bands; not grunge. They were not anywhere near as slick as Poison, Bon Jovi, etc. As for the infighting, as mentioned earlier, Axl was a complete and total A.H.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I was a yoing whippersnapper in 1987 and even I could see the difference between a Poison type pop/metal band and what GnR was doing. It was finally  a band that had some balls and had realy good musicians in it.  For that hard rock/metal genre, it was AC/DC and no one else for years. Years.

Clearly a pillar band in rock history, no doubt.  

Slash, to this day, still has killer tone and is one of the more gifted lead players around, even if Izzy was very underrated with what their sound was.  Even his Velvet Revolver and solo work shows he still has it.  Never overplays, tone, great feel/not rehearsed, etc.

Axl was the classic frontman, but that band died in 1992.  Too bad because they had a great thing going. Don't do drugs, kids.

I liked their more mid tempo material better vs the really fast stuff.  Still not a fan of metal in general whatsoever due to the tempos, but GnR pretty much carried the torch of the hard rock genre into the 1990s. 

3 songs in particular I always loved and still do:  Patience, Sweet Child O'Mine (just a masterpiece song arrangement and lyrics) and Yesterdays. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Never liked Slash's dumb hair and hat ( although he is supposed ot be a great guitarist) ---------------------------------- Oh he's beyond great, mate.  He's scary good, and a true student of the art.  To wit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HydDMhbgBYA Thats a Les Paul not a Strat man.  When you get picked to induct Jimi, you might be pretty good.  Thats pretty good. Of course, Steve Winwood is no slouch, and check out Mitch Mitchel's soft double stroke roll at the very end.  Thats SaWeet, and a btch.  Jimi didn't pick him to keep time.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Winwood is a criminally underrated guitar player. Ever since I saw that Chicago Crossroads show in 2007, I wanted to see a full show in a theater. I got that in 2010.   That dude is scary talented. Ray Charles vocals, ridiculous keyboard work and just the best pacing I've seen in a while on lead guitar.   Great tone, phrasing, etc.  So underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DYC61HzmtM

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"Not trying to be a wise guy, but you couldn't do anything or go anywhere in 1987 and not have heard or seen any GnR material around.   Same thing with Hysteria by Def Leppard.  That was huge, huge stuff that spring/summer that just carried in for pretty much 2 years."

I had probably heard them before the movie,but didn't pay attention.I was more into older Rock and Blues at that time in my life.I was also being stubborn and resisting the change in music that MTV was bringing and was hanging on to the music and bands of my youth.
       By the way,"The Dead Pool" was the fifth and last sequel of the Dirty Harry movies.If you're a fan of Inspector Callahan,you'll probably like this movie.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

For your reading pleasure:

Slash: "Axl Rose Hates My Guts"  

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] Of course, from what I gather they were all jerks to each other in various respects. Just seems to me that Axl's the biggest.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Never paid much attention to him, but he definitely seems to be one of the biggest jerk faces to grab headlines.  Seems the RnRHoF induction was another way to get a headline or two -- check this out for more um, clarification:

"I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf," Rose wrote. "Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of 'Guns N' Roses'."

Boo Hoo.  :D

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE] I always thought it was kind of strange that they debuted both of the "Use your illusion" albums on the same day.I can't remember any other rock band  who has done that.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Actually, Bruce Springsteen would release Lucky Town and The Human Touch on the same day about a year later (I think), although I don't remember those recordings doing very much (at least not by Springsteen's lofty standards).

As for  Guns & Roses . . .  I think if you need somebody to push a piano into a swimming pool, Axl is your man.

Beyond that, I have no qualms about their induction into that mythical hall of fame in Cleveland, nor does it surprise me that Axl is having yet another of his "Look at Me!" moments. I was originally subjected to GnR by some girl I was dating in west Los Angeles way back in those halcyon '80s days. As I recall, I forgot about them just about the same time I forgot about her.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: G N' R... and now there is one (original member, that is)

The ongoing saga ...yeesh ... really, it seems I can't resist reading these articles knowing that there will be another round of vitriol directed at Axl Rose (in the article and possibly more from the forum, too)  :)

This is probably the ultimate closure for this thread, but I thought this interview was superb. 
    Also, what do you think about Adler's comments on John Mellencamp and Steven Tyler and the superlatives he gave them (coolest person and greatest / most wonderful he'd ever met, respectively)?    His comments on being inducted into the RnR HoF seem sincere as to what a great honor it is, and what a sign of disrespect he felt it was for AR to be a no show.  Anyhow.   

Here you go:

Steven Adler on Axl Rose: 'I'm done with him'

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just don't care about Axl anymore. Just to go onstage and tour as GnR shows his lack of respect for his own earlier work. be a man, release music under your own name and see what happens. As for the HoF - who cares. Until Deep Purple. King Crimson and E.L.P are in, I will not pay attention. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No problem, WDYWN.

Can anyone comment on ...

Has there ever been another band that has this contentious history to its name?  G N R seems to take the absolute prize, but I don't know.  Total ugliness. 

And yeah, JE, it does show a lack of respect -- total egomaniac.