General catch-all music discussion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: General catch-all music discussion

Talking about more-or-less guilty pleasures...

I found my copy of Stereo MCs' Connected the other day and listened to it twice (wife and cat were noticeably concerned).

I really don't know what possessed me at the time to be drawn to it, but it's pretty damm infectious.  Even now, it's such a delicious oddity, caught in a musical worm hole between the competing visons of its era: grunge, gangsta rap, unplugged, and general alt-ernization.

But what a great album: huge beats, snide english rapping, sweet samples (hear: PSB on "Playing With Fire"), and a certain fudge-it-all attitude that's hard not to break into a grin.  I had only a couple of MCs singles - including a later hit, the groove-nugget "Deep Down & Dirty" - in my digital library, but the whole LP is worth re-visiting, IMO.

So it happens that Way Back When, my brother and I won front-row tix at Newbury Comics to see them (with Jesus Jones :o ) in Boston.  The entire audience was literally pogo-ing in unison - a hyper-spectacle.  Never seen anything quite like it.

Funny how varied those memories are that make our musical recollections so truly memorable....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Id have to disagree i think metallica ruined whiskey in a jar, Bob seagers version is much better.

[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Turn the Page.  Metallica did a re-make of that song too.  Bob Seger didn't do Whiskey in the Jar.   It was done by Thin Lizzy. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes your right my bad. Either way i just dont hear the feeling in both those songs from metallica
    that i do from the origional artists.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, I got yogafriend posting on the weekend...I knew this thread was a good idea. :-) 

Hahahah.   You're right.  :)  I'm out a good part of the weekend, or I am doing something very worthwhile (sarcasm on) at home.  I generally only read news online on the weekend, or try to stay offline as a rule.   Yesterday, I needed to distract myself to avoid the urge to spend money.  Lo and behold, it worked.  A MIRACLE took place.  hahah.   This thread helped to distract me, thereby stopping an expense from hitting my credit card --all the more amusing considering what you do for a living, Hfx.  :D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: metallica cover songs...

The Garage Days Re-revisited EP is where it's at. 

Diamond Head, Budgie, Killing Joke, Misfits, Holocaust...it's like a 101 class in pre-thrash metal. 

Still one of my favorite Metallica releases.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've often thought of picking up Metallica's Garage Inc. album, but it's pricey.  When I saw that the covers included BOC, Thin Lizzy and Queen, I thought 'God bless 'em.'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to think we had something to do with that. Of course, Jon Lord did just die. There is online voting here:  http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/ Rush and Deep Purple are in the lead 

Of course the forum influenced the nominations.  DUH.  ;-)

Thanks for the link, too.  The list of noms is pretty good.   Donna Summer died this past year as well, and now she's finally nominated; getting in will be posthumous, which would be sweet, but it would have been sweeter if she'd been alive to feel it and experience it.   Either way, I hope she makes the cut.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So yogafriend, does Cake fall into the category of 'nerd rock'?  Is Weezer in the same category?  Or is it insane to be even talking about 'nerd rock' as a musical category?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

As long as this is a catch-all thread:

I heard the (in)famous Billy Squier song, "Rock me Tonite", on the radio recently, and was laughing out of control.  To think the video was unknown to me until recently ... man, still so hard to believe Squier could have ever been influenced to do that video.   

Also, I had a stellar listening experience on the radio over the weekend, while driving.   Just hit it right, I guess.   When I wasn't listening to the radio, I listened to the Jayhawks compilation disc, which for me is excellent driving music; helps keep evil thoughts and potential road rage at bay while on the road.   

I read a review of a new biography of Mick Jagger last week.  Did any of you see it?  It's over 600 pages, and it's supposed to be the best one written to date (there are now 3 or perhaps 4?).   Might be a good holiday gift to ask for, if you're interested and want to hold off for a few months.  

OH -- Rodriguez was on "60 Minutes" last night.   Did any of you see the segment?  It was fantastic.    This man, the "Sugar Man" story, all of it  -- could not be sweeter, more amazing, and more poignant.   Truly, one of the greatest-breaking music news stories of the year.   

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There are two bands I missed out on completely that I now have to check out.  Husker Du and the Pixies.  What's cool is that, based on what I've heard about them, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to like a lot of their stuff.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]

I have a WHOLE lotta stuff that was made before I was born.

[/QUOTE]

Me too, and not just a few years either :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

So yogafriend, does Cake fall into the category of 'nerd rock'?  Is Weezer in the same category?  Or is it insane to be even talking about 'nerd rock' as a musical category? 

I'm not the expert re: musical genres (understatement), but Cake to me has just been a great alt band, but not in the nerd category.    But I am not that well-versed in Cake's music -- Zilla could possibly speak to this.  :)

Weezer = nerds.   

Nerd rock is a good theme for a thread, actually, but I think more in terms of musicians who are nerds, moreso than assigning 'nerd rock' as a category of the actual music.

Offhand, I'd say many prog rockers are nerds, and prog rock is nerd-infused.  After many of the threads we've had on the forum, this is how they now strike me, FWIW.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

I have a WHOLE lotta stuff that was made before I was born.  Me too, and not just a few years either :) 

Medieval music, I take it?    And other classical varieties?   Yes, I'd say it's safe to assume a great deal of it was composed before you were born, unless you're holding out on us about your identity.   :D

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This thread is all over the place.

I'll try to address some of the subjects:

I know almost nothing about Cake, except Drake's coffee cakes...these are awsome!

Deep Purple and Rush...hooray, but I still don't give a damn who goes in the Rn'R Hall of Fame.

I resent being called "old" based only on my musical taste. Sure, we here would much rather discuss the great era of classic rock, but many of us are in touch with some ( maybe not all) more recent bands.....I love Gov't Mule and Bowling For Soup....does this make me sound "old?"

I work with a younger guy who plays guitar in a Heavy Metal band and he raves about Dave Grohl all the time.

Congratultions to HFSoxnut for getting multiple replies to a post. Lately it's been spotty here and I think the new format has messed up alot of our regulars.

Happy Columbus Day! We owe our life and freedom to an Italian who thought he was in India but he wasn't even close. But still , if not for Columbus we would have nothing to celebrate on a Monday in October. We'd be stuck with one bogus special day in late October with kids begging for candy door to door and houses lit up and decorated with zombies , witches and pumpkins....not even a holiday that your postman or garbage man can spend at home with his family....or fishing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

My "edit post" tab doesn't seem to be working.

I knew it was too good to be true.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank N Stein. Show Frank N Stein's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You get an 'Edit Post' tab?  Even a broken one is more than I see.  I get 'reply',  'new', and 'report abuse'.  And I don't think that report abuse link does much, because I've certainly used it in an attempt to eradicate our pest.

But back to my own personal lost years.   I pretty much lost touch around the time of Seattle Grunge.   Saw the movie 'Singles',  liked that Screaming Trees tune that was in it.  Beyond that, wasn't my cup of tea because I was completely mystified by the notion that Nirvana was doing something new.   It was a bunch of been-there, done-that as far as I was concerned.

I still don't get Nirvana,  but it caused me to miss Pearl Jam at their peak.  It's only been the past couple of years that I've gotten into them.  And Grohl, I had written off, until I started listening to his own work.  

[/QUOTE]

I swear it was there earlier today. Now the "edit post" tab is gone again.

I hope I didn't break it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Frank N Stein's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You get an 'Edit Post' tab?  Even a broken one is more than I see.  I get 'reply',  'new', and 'report abuse'.  And I don't think that report abuse link does much, because I've certainly used it in an attempt to eradicate our pest.

But back to my own personal lost years.   I pretty much lost touch around the time of Seattle Grunge.   Saw the movie 'Singles',  liked that Screaming Trees tune that was in it.  Beyond that, wasn't my cup of tea because I was completely mystified by the notion that Nirvana was doing something new.   It was a bunch of been-there, done-that as far as I was concerned.

I still don't get Nirvana,  but it caused me to miss Pearl Jam at their peak.  It's only been the past couple of years that I've gotten into them.  And Grohl, I had written off, until I started listening to his own work.  

[/QUOTE]

I swear it was there earlier today. Now the "edit post" tab is gone again.

I hope I didn't break it.

[/QUOTE]

You have to post a reply , then you will see the "edit post" on your posts only. But even though mine appeared clicking on it was futile.

I tried it just now on my earlier reply and it's working now. Sorry if I created panic.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I listen to many Blues artists from before I was born also.

Thank goodness for digital technology, so little of this stuff was around before CD remastering. Even the Yardbirds records of the early 60's were scratchy and horrible sounding before digital.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This thread is all over the place.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I had in mind, big guy.  A free-for-all.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A comment from Matty copied from another thread:

Speaking of Canadian bands...

I happened across a mix of The Watchmen recently that appears to be from the late 90s, and I've been really enjoying it. Pleasant, unobtrusive, unassuming rock...good stuff...almost like a less goofy, harder, more interesting version of BNL.

I know The Watchmen a bit.  Unfortunately it's only what I've heard on the radio and that isn't much.  They have a song called Stereo that gets a fair amount of airplay but that's about the only song still in circulation.  It looks like the last album they put out was Slomotion which was a double CD.  I heard a couple of tracks off that album and they had more of a techno sound to them, but they were good.  When I looked this up I was horrified to find out this album came out in 2001...didn't seem like that long ago.

I tend to think of bands like this as blue-collar bands, and there have been a bunch of them in Canada.  Red Rider, 54-40, Pursuit of Happiness, Headstones and the like.  Really good bands who write good, smart songs...and kind of unassuming as you say.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'll touch on some of the subjects being discussed.

Dave Grohl doesn't get enough credit for his music IMO.

Rodriguez - Very cool.I'd go see him in a New York minute.

Not a big fan of Metal,but I'll listen to some of the earlier stuff.

Yes,I'm so old my Social Security number is 4.

Since this is a "Catch-all"thread,I have a trivia question.I imagine most of you probably know the answer to.

Q;What popular singer,who later joined a famous band,made their debut on television on the Ed Sullivan Show the same night the Beatles made their debut.

For extra bonus points,What was the mystery singer performing on Ed Sulllivan?