General catch-all music discussion

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: General catch-all music discussion

OK I know everbody's been waiting for this: the Top 10 Albums Of All Time, as selected by the listeners of Q104 radio:

10. Beatles - White Album

9. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

8. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

7. Nirvana - Nevermind

6. Eagles - Hotel California

5. GNR - Appetite for Destruction

4. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

3. Pink Floyd - The Wall

2. Led Zeppelin - IV

1. (LOL) AC/DC - Back in Black

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are two bands I missed out on completely that I now have to check out.  Husker Du and the Pixies.  What's cool is that, based on what I've heard about them, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to like a lot of their stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Far and away two of my favorites ever.. Both pretty influential.. I heard Bowie say something to the affect of the Pixies being his favorite band ever. Ditto Kurt Cobain

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, the Pixies are a local (UMass Amherst) band, too.   Got their first recording at the legendary Fort Apache in Boston.   Heck, their original fans are from the Boston area; what more is there to say?  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just released today: The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Deluxe Box Set

Includes:

DVD and Blu-Ray of the movie

60 page booklet Soft back book containing an introductory essay by Paul McCartney, notes on the film's development, numerous previously unseen and rare photos and memorabilia.

Reproduction of the 1967 UK double vinyl 6 track EP

Many special bonus features

Amazingly, the price on Amazon.com is $95 but on Amazon.ca it is $70.

Paul's greedy little fingerprints are all over this LOL

I have actually seen the movie and it is remarkably foolish and pointless.  However, it is the Beatles, right?  There is a psychedelic video of the band doing I Am the Walrus that is worth seeing.

I have to hand it the Beatles for never fessing up on the 'Paul Is Dead'  stuff.  In Magical Mystery Tour there is a sequence in a ballroom with the lads dressed up in white tuxedoes.  Three of the four have red carnations in their lapels, but Paul has a black one.   Just a coincidence, I suppose.  Yeah right! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's a link to an article to read about John Lennon's letters that shows John had bitterness towards George Martin as well as Paul:

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/john-lennon-letters-reveal-bitterness-toward-george-martin-192300104.html

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

Personally I'd put both their first album and Get Your Wings over Toys, and in that order

[/QUOTE]

Same here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ear Worm Alert: local band Air Traffic Controller's "Hurry, Hurry".

(fans of TMBG may approve)

Good song, but I can't shake it for the life of me....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bellhorn_'s comment:

Foo Fighters is a terrible name for a band. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

In sharp contrast, your uninventive tagline is a perfect fit for your tourrettes-like fits of inane d*uchbaggery....  

Agreed............

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

Personally I'd put both their first album and Get Your Wings over Toys, and in that order

[/QUOTE]

Definitely Get Your Wings. Can't escape the greatness of Rocks either.

As for that top 10 list - I don't think so.

Revolver and Sgt. Pepper are 1 & 2 all-time on my list.

Zep III > Zep IV

The Wall has no right being anywhere near this list. Wish You Were Here is a far superior album.

Nevermind; Rumors and Hotel California are not even top 50.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK I know everbody's been waiting for this: the Top 10 Albums Of All Time, as selected by the listeners of Q104 radio:

10. Beatles - White Album

9. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

8. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

7. Nirvana - Nevermind

6. Eagles - Hotel California

5. GNR - Appetite for Destruction

4. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

3. Pink Floyd - The Wall

2. Led Zeppelin - IV

1. (LOL) AC/DC - Back in Black

[/QUOTE]

My top 10 list would probably make people think I am a nut.

I have quite a few favorites that many people probably have never heard of , or never heard.

They include: Flash and the Pan- Lights In The Night, Sisters of Mercy- Vision Thing, The Cure- Disintegration, Depeche Mode- Violator, Pink Floyd- Animals, Deep Purple- In Rock, Stan Ridgway- Mosquitos, Rainbow- Bent Out Of Shape, David Bowie- Diamond Dogs....I'm almost at 10 and I haven't run out of ideas yet. I think my top 10 list includes about 150 LPs!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

No guesses on my trivia question yet?That should have been answered awhile ago,it wasn't that difficult

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I missed the question originally, sorry. But since he was in the news, unfortunately, not that long ago, I know the answer.  I'll just say that he was part of the troupe that performed something from Oliver (I think it was Oliver) and see if anyone else gets it.

I have no idea what they were singing.

[/QUOTE]

Good call Slim.I didn't think the question was that hard,but just kind of interesting.Especially if someone didn't know the answer or had forgotten about him performing on Sullivan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As long as this is a catch-all thread:

I heard the (in)famous Billy Squier song, "Rock me Tonite", on the radio recently, and was laughing out of control.  To think the video was unknown to me until recently ... man, still so hard to believe Squier could have ever been influenced to do that video.   

Also, I had a stellar listening experience on the radio over the weekend, while driving.   Just hit it right, I guess.   When I wasn't listening to the radio, I listened to the Jayhawks compilation disc, which for me is excellent driving music; helps keep evil thoughts and potential road rage at bay while on the road.   

I read a review of a new biography of Mick Jagger last week.  Did any of you see it?  It's over 600 pages, and it's supposed to be the best one written to date (there are now 3 or perhaps 4?).   Might be a good holiday gift to ask for, if you're interested and want to hold off for a few months.  

OH -- Rodriguez was on "60 Minutes" last night.   Did any of you see the segment?  It was fantastic.    This man, the "Sugar Man" story, all of it  -- could not be sweeter, more amazing, and more poignant.   Truly, one of the greatest-breaking music news stories of the year.   

[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to the new Rolling Stones song "Doom and  Gloom"

http://music.yahoo.com/news/rolling-stones-release-single-reviews-mixed-132509808--sector.html

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I agree,Doom and Gloom sounds like a "lost" Stones song,and that's a good thing.It's a refreshing change from most of their more recent albums.It sounds like they've went back to the type of blues influenced music that made them one of the world's greatest rock and roll bands. 

Here's a link to the trailer for "Crossfire Hurricane",a new rolling Stones movie:

http://www.rollingstones.com/crossfire-hurricane/

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

I agree,Doom and Gloom sounds like a "lost" Stones song,and that's a good thing.It's a refreshing change from most of their more recent albums.It sounds like they've went back to the type of blues influenced music that made them one of the world's greatest rock and roll bands. 

Good song, and agree it sounds like "vintage" Stones.   The advantage of having a voice like Jagger's is that you can't tell if his vocal chords are really shot -- or not; doesn't matter.  :D   

They seem to have two anniversaries:  the founding of the band in 1962, and the release of the first single, in 1963, so next year is their 'real' golden jubilee, depending on how you see it; at the very least, they are celebrating for an entire year.  They're not hurting.  :)

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So I've had the new ZZ Top song stuck in my head for days, and I've been going around the house singing 'Twenty-five lighters on my dresser, yessir, I've gots to get paid!'  And other family members have given me a few 'WTF?' looks.

I think I can do a pretty good Billy Gibbons growl.  I love to sing along to 'Jesus Just Left Chicago'.

'Took a jump through Mississippi, well, muddy water turned to wiii-iii-iiine...'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Just for the record, I love the Stones to death, and I always will.  They have soundtracked my life in some ways.

That said...

How can I miss them if they won't go away?  The onslaught of docudramas and tributes and milestones and glad-handing seems pervasive and a bit unnecessary and unctuous at times.

But maybe it's just me....