General catch-all music discussion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: General catch-all music discussion

No, it's not just you, Matty.

I almost started a thread re this phenom, but I didn't want to bring down the house with negativity today.  :P   Maybe tomorrow.  

I'm also tired of the clingy-style interviews that are done by interviewers that know absolutely, less than nothing about rock music.   I am the first to admit that I watch some of them, even on "60 Minutes", a program that nauseates me,  b/c of the on-staff interviewers who are pathetic and  s*ck.  

Again, this is a catch-all discussion, but I'd like to have a catch-all thread to b*tch, and see all the complaints in one thread.   So again, maybe tomorrow ...  :D

PS Speaking of 50th anniversaries,  I've never been a James Bond fan, although I've seen a few of the films, but I am absolutely loving the hoopla re: the 50th anniversary of the James Bond films, with all associated aspects, such as the music, fashion, and social backdrop. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I celebrated my 50th anniversary of being alive in 2008.

60 minutes didn't do a segment on it.

But , if they did , it would have been done in the final segment by Andy Rooney.

It would have gone something like this:

"Ever wonder why you sometimes feel inferior? Ever wonder why you are not living up to expectations?....a man in a small town in Massachusetts has the answer. He is not running for president, he is not a celebrity, in fact, he is living a normal, mostly boring life. But he could do wonderful things with your help....send him $20.00 and your name and you will receive a postcard with his answer on how to live a successful ( but relatively boring life) , you will never be bothered by excess attention, you will never wear dark glasses in public."

Then they would show the mailing address and I would get $20 bils from lots of gullible people.

As you can tell, I was a little bored this afternoon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

@ yoga... At least there is a 3-4 year gap in between Bond films - as well as a periodic reboot with a new star...

Sorry, but I'm getting a little peeved and tired of the baby boomers' death grip on some parts of the culture and their collective refusal to go gracefully into that good night.  The Stones are just one example.

Nearly 50 years ago, The Who sang, "Hope I die before I get old."  Today, they're gearing up to play an entire album which was released 35 years ago.  Sorry if I think that my ticket money might be better spent elsewhere.

Note: this also goes, in part, out to the Deadhead cadres and contingents.  Again, I love those guys, but it gets harder to forsake the younger, hungrier acts for their wizened forebears.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Speaking of James Bond at 50...the newest Bond flick, Skyfall, is coming soon.....the one thing that still hasn't changed in all the 50 years is the bad "wig" on the villan...as seen in the trailer on Javier Bardem...don't know if they still use terrible miniatures too...

I believe his charachters name is "Octoballs".....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

@ yoga... At least there is a 3-4 year gap in between Bond films - as well as a periodic reboot with a new star...

Sorry, but I'm getting a little peeved and tired of the baby boomers' death grip on some parts of the culture and their collective refusal to go gracefully into that good night.  The Stones are just one example.

Nearly 50 years ago, The Who sang, "Hope I die before I get old."  Today, they're gearing up to play an entire album which was released 35 years ago.  Sorry if I think that my ticket money might be better spent elsewhere.

Note: this also goes, in part, out to the Deadhead cadres and contingents.  Again, I love those guys, but it gets harder to forsake the younger, hungrier acts for their wizened forebears.

How can you fight the Grip when the most popular radio stations around the country play classic rock. It's what most want to hear. New music, when it is played is often intermingled with classics. Even most of the well known music critics are boomers and have their agendas. They are out of step when reviewing newer bands, often comparing them to older bands. In their opinion, the music is good, but it will never be the Dead or the Who(and your right, after 35 years, let it go).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, this may make me a simple-minded Pollyanna, but my take is that 'it's all good.'  If the Stones and Pete and Roger can still make sounds that people are willing to pay to go hear, so be it.  If you feel your ticket money is better spent elsewhere, that's perfectly understandable too.

The last 3 artists I saw live were all geezers and they all sounded great.  I hold tickets to see another geezer act and I'm expecting them to sound great as well.

But I also acknowledge that I have to open myself up to newer artists, and finding about what's new has been one of the things I've enjoyed about the forum here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Why do the Stones tour?Because they can,and make a ton of money doing it.This is from a yahoo article:

But in recent years much of their income has come from touring. Their last global tour, "A Bigger Bang," earned more than $500 million between 2005 and 2007.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/rocking-50-rolling-stones-tour-again-112658775.html

Also,they just announced 4 concerts they're doing in November and December.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

PS Speaking of 50th anniversaries,  I've never been a James Bond fan, although I've seen a few of the films, but I am absolutely loving the hoopla re: the 50th anniversary of the James Bond films, with all associated aspects, such as the music, fashion, and social backdrop

Heh. You aren't missing much.  

I loved them as a kid. If you've seen one you've seen them all.    Bad guy kills people. Bond is given gadgets and sent to exotic locale. Bond drinks martinis, has sex with hot women, gets captured by the bad guy, escapes, captures/defeats/kills/whatever bad guy.  

Oh, I know what you mean, and agree, but the fascinating aspect of a film series such as Bond, is that so many people are happy with the formula and the familiarity and fun of it make it a great escape.   Good old bad guys, good guys, sexy babes -- with predictable outcome that allows a lame plotline because it's all in good fun.   A recent interview with the most current Bond said that his body is taking a beating in filming, too, and he has the abs to show off and prove his point.  :)

Regardless, watching them over the years, fans see the same formula, sure, but they also see the progression of the use of technology in the films,  as well as all of the social changes (smoking for one).

No matter how cheesy the formula, it's hard to believe (similar to the Stones, the Beatles, the Who, etc.) we are in the midst of celebrating so many 50-year traditions / long-standing acts,  in parts of our arts and entertainment culture, in ways that were completely unexpected.    It's a cultural history turning point that I wonder (if not doubt) we'll see the likes of again -- as brand loyalty (for lack of a better way to say it) is fading fast in our society.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

If you want a different, enjoyable take on James Bond, read the original books. I did in my younger years and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am a fan of the films, but after reading the books I always wished they would make the movies truer to them. But maybe that's just me. I also wish the superhero movies were based on the old fashioned, original comic books. I would like to think there is a market for more low-key, subtle movies that stay truer to the source material. But I guess that the movies, being a visual medium, call for more spectacle. As an example of one movie that stayed very true to the spirit of the book is The Day of the Jackal. I'm talking about the first movie, not the horrendous remake. This is one example where both the book and movie did an excellent job in creating fine entertainment.

As far as the Stones, my reaction is meh. I'm not excited or upset about the neverending hype surrounding them. Obviously, they must enjoy it. They can't help the fact that so many fans idolize them. Me, I prefer the lower key performers who keep plugging away, like Graham Paker. No one thirsted more for Stones-like fame and adulation than he did, but he just wasn't meant for it. But that hasn't stopped him from soldiering on and creating quality music. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

New music, when it is played is often intermingled with classics. Even most of the well known music critics are boomers and have their agendas. They are out of step when reviewing newer bands, often comparing them to older bands. In their opinion, the music is good, but it will never be the Dead or the Who(and your right, after 35 years, let it go). 

The comparisons are getting very, very tiresome.  Let it go.  Well said.  

We have to come to terms that there is, always has been, and always will be, a generational divide in rock music.   It's different for jazz, country music, world music, classical music -- you name it -- rock music has a very different aesthetic.    

We are experiencing a "blurry line"  with bands that are accessible to fans cross-generationally, but it seems there is too much emphasis on trying to deny that "new" music, the way it is discovered, and obtained (ie: free), is vastly different from one generation of listeners to another. 

And I do not think Hfx is being simple-minded at all; you are very fair-minded, IMO, not simple-minded.  As we have discussed, in great length the "when is it time to get off of the stage" issue, with yours truly having written the thread herself.  :P    

But I want to focus my concern from another angle; give me a few minutes to start a new thread.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I think I may have mis-stated my position in my previous post - and which could be read as a contradiction to some of my earlier posts. 

I apologize for posting a knee-jerk rant without phrasing it more directly.  The topic deserves a more thoughtful (and less hypocritical) response.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Well, this may make me a simple-minded Pollyanna, but my take is that 'it's all good.'  If the Stones and Pete and Roger can still make sounds that people are willing to pay to go hear, so be it.  If you feel your ticket money is better spent elsewhere, that's perfectly understandable too.

The last 3 artists I saw live were all geezers and they all sounded great.  I hold tickets to see another geezer act and I'm expecting them to sound great as well.

But I also acknowledge that I have to open myself up to newer artists, and finding about what's new has been one of the things I've enjoyed about the forum here.

Sorry, but that post did not turn out the way I intended.

As with all things art-related, there are exceptions, and then there are exceptions that make the rules.  Eventually, I will make the point more succinctly than I have here.

Mea culpa.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The new Black Keys single 'Little Black Submarines' kicks serious azz...these guys are so freaking good it's ridiculous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

New single? New album on the way?

Those two are seriously prolific. I mean, not quite as prolific as early stones, but a new album virtually every year. Plus tours. Crazy.

New single from El Camino.  But they are prolific.  I think it's part of their retro musical personality. 

Prolific may be making a comeback.  Joe Bonamassa is also being crazy prolific.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I wonder if Yoga had seen this ridiculousness.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-california-lawsuit-yoga-lessons-public-schools/story?id=17546643#.UIqOd2_AeSo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

No, I hadn't seen it.  Thanks.  :)  

What's surprising, is that the outcry is from parents in southern California, of all places.   I'd think they'd be first in line to have yoga promoted as part of a physical fitness regimen.     You never know.  And BTW, Ashtanga yoga is extremely difficult; I do an off-shoot of it.

The truth is, now that yoga has hit the mainstream (good news to that, and also, not so good news, too), it *is* a form of wellness and fitness; most people say that they "do yoga" not that they have a 'yoga practice' ; but I've ranted about this in the past ... so I'll spare you all.  :)

Yoga is not for everyone, by any measure, but I can't help but be envious of kids who start learning about yoga at a young age, as they have expanded their knowledge of a fitness and wellness routine, even if they decide they don't like it.   One of the sweetest women in my class has her little girl taking yoga classes, and her daughter LOVES it.   This sweet woman is not a helicopter parent, and her daughter is thriving.  So there ya go.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not sure why this should be an issue. In the past, for example, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and others of that era -- they kept performing into their 60s and 70s. Chuck Berry has kept performing over the years and their fans kept going to see them. They didn't necessarily expect to get fans from younger generations, although I'm sure they got some. But there fans kept seeing them.

Musicians of every age are free to perform. If you don't want to see The Who, fine. But the fact that they are selling a ton of tickets mean there is demand. I have no interest in going to see Katy Perry or some other younger/newer/current group or performer. I have better things to spend my money on.

Most fans develop their taste when they're in there teens and 20s and that's what we like. So as we get older into our 40s and 50s, what -- we can't go to concerts any more or should be forced to go watch some 20-something we don't like

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I bought the latest copy of Mojo magazine for myself for Christmas.  Some excellent stuff on Zep's Celebration Day show including interviews with all 3.  Plus a Townshend interview, a Brian Eno article, lots of album reviews etc.  But check out the CD that came with the magazine.  This all cost me $13.50 plus tax but I have to call it a good purchase.  I also buy Classic Rock magazine sometimes and they also give you a free CD with each issue.  One of the free CD's I got was a sampler of Joe Bonamassa's best.  Some of the free CD's are nothing special but some of them are jewels.

This is the kind of marketing strategy I can really applaud and support.  Sure you're spending $15 or so but you're getting a pretty nice package in return.  The magazines are loaded with ads for albums and shows, of course, but that's cool too.  Everybody wins.  This is the kind of interaction with consumers that can really keep the music business flowing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This is totally random, but as long as this thread has surfaced ... :)

I've been laughing to myself the past week or so reading many columns by sports writers re: the Baseball HoF's current class of nominees, many of whom are from the PED era, whose reputations were marred, if not downright trashed for breaking bad.  

Some of the columnists (Peter Abraham's, for one) explained succinctly how they voted, why and for whom; could not have been more forthcoming and honest.  Note: comments and responses to the column were vicious in many, if not most, cases, as apparently there are diehard fans who are in the "no tolerance" zone as it pertains to PEDs.   I also heard a pretty good POV that stated that timing is everything from that era; if a player was already performing as a "best in class" player prior to any suspicion, that's a lot different from a player whose career and skills took off and were obviously a manufactured *result* of taking PEDs.  

Anyhow, all this to say, I contrasted this with the RnR HoF process, and the issues that accompany the nominations and inductions, and it was amusing to think about "PEDs" among rock musicians.  Heh.   If that were or had ever been an issue, the Hall would just be a museum, and wouldn't have *EVER* had an induction process.   Don't mind me, I just thought that was a funny contrast.   

There has never been much lustre on the RnR HoF, as fans have dissed it for years.  I am not sure of this, but it seems that the Baseball HoF is not as respected as it used to be, but correct me if you know, b/c that strikes me as a cryin' shame.  

Anyhow, sex, drugs and Rock and Roll.  Gotta love it.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good observation yf.  It is indeed a funny contrast.  Taking drugs that help you hit a baseball further, we don't approve.  Taking drugs that help you write deeper lyrics or play a meaner guitar solo, yes, by all means, whatever works, 'cause it's in the name of art.  Apparently Neil Young confesses in his new autobiography that he was always high when he wrote his songs.  I like to hear that and I don't even know why.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Taking drugs that help you write deeper lyrics or play a meaner guitar solo, yes, by all means, whatever works

-------------------

the thing is, it doesn't work

The music and history of the counterculture, would not only contradict and refute your statement, but you'd have to go back and change the history of our beloved country as it pertains to the 60's and 70's.  Altered states of reality were a way of life.   

This doesn't mean anyone here is endorsing anything of the kind, mind you, I just pointed out the humor in baseball players vs. musicians being inducted into their respective Halls, since both have different POVs pertaining to drugs.   BTW, the induction process for Cooperstown is completely transparent, which is more than I can say for Cleveland.  

Then again, give Donnie and Marie Osmond a call, they'd probably love to discuss this with you, Greg.  :P

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ken Kesey said he was high as a kite when he wrote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and it's one of the best novels I've ever read.   

Sections
Shortcuts