George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh?

I was ruminating on all of the losses that have occured in the world of music recently. Those thoughts led to George Harrison's album, "All Things Must Pass" -- and some of the appreciated, and perhaps, under-appreciated songs on that album.  It's hard to pick a favorite song from the album, but I'll go with "Run of the Mill" -- today, anyhow.  

Along with ATMP, please consider the richness of Harrison's solo body of work, along with the songs he wrote while the Beatles were together.  

What are some of your favorites?  What is your opinion on the freshness of "All Things Must Pass" ?   I think it's amazing how relevant it still is, 42 years down the road.   What do you think?  

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh?

It's still my favorite post-beatles album by any former beatle (including Imagine and Band On The Run)...

...and I'm not counting Traveling Wilburys as a true solo effort...

...though even if I was, All Things Must Pass would still win out.

But that's just me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh?:
    [QUOTE]It's still my favorite post-beatles album by any former beatle (including Imagine and Band On The Run )... ...and I'm not counting Traveling Wilburys as a true solo effort... ...though even if I was, All Things Must Pas s would still win out. But that's just me.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I agree, it was a stand out post Beatles album. There was enough talent in the room when they made that album to be it's own supergroup. My Sweet Lord, is a song I still turn up when it's played. The Harrison documentary on HBO of the same period was fascinating.

Wings over America will always be my fav though, because it was the first time you could hear live Beatles tracks post-breakup, along with all of McCartney's best solo work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I unfortunately missed that documentary on Harrison (by Scorcese?)...who was and is my favorite beatle...

...have to check netflix for that one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Matty,
    I didn't mention this in my OP, but I recently saw some news about the release of a music CD and DVD of Scorses's documentary on George.  The CD is available as a stand-alone product.   I also saw some news pertaining to purchasing (something?) on iTunes, dealing with the documentary, but can't remember what it was.  

If you have a birthday coming up ... you could drop some hints.  :)  Regardless, you might want to check out the CD to see if it would be worthwhile to purchase.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I agree with the group - ATMP is clearly the best post-Beatles work. But that doesn't surprise me since George was only allowed two songs per album. He must of had a million songs in his head when he recorded this.

I am a fan of Dark Horse, song and album as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's hard for me to say it was THE best post Beatles. It certainly was Harrison's best and you can make a good argument for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh?:
    [QUOTE]I was ruminating on all of the losses that have occured in the world of music recently. Those thoughts led to George Harrison's album, "All Things Must Pass" -- and some of the appreciated, and perhaps, under-appreciated songs on that album.  It's hard to pick a favorite song from the album, but I'll go with "Run of the Mill" -- today, anyhow.   Along with ATMP, please consider the richness of Harrison's solo body of work, along with the songs he wrote while the Beatles were together.   What are some of your favorites?  What is your opinion on the freshness of "All Things Must Pass" ?   I think it's amazing how relevant it still is, 42 years down the road.   What do you think?   Thoughts?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

ruminating?

My crush on you gets bigger and bigger every day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to George Harrison's solo work -- is "All Things Must Pass" still fresh? : ruminating? My crush on you gets bigger and bigger every day.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

You like the idea that I sit around meditating on dead people?  hahahhahaha.  As for your irresistableness, your NY / Bronx accent would no doubt put me over the top.  :P

RE: George's best, "Dark Horse" is one of my favorite songs, too.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I loved the "Concert For George" it's one of my favorite tributes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm late to the party, but I ditto those who say "All Things Must Pass" is the best post-Beatle album. (By a mile, in my opinion ... "Band On The Run" would be a distant second). The title track is my favorite (and my favorite George solo ever), but I also love "What Is Life," "Beware of Darkness," "Wah-Wah," "Isn't It A Pity," and his cover of "If Not For You."

George had a funny description of this album: "I didn't have many tunes on Beatles records, so doing an album like All Things Must Pass was like going to the bathroom and letting it out."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I'm late to the party, but I ditto those who say "All Things Must Pass" is the best post-Beatle album. (By a mile, in my opinion ... "Band On The Run" would be a distant second). The title track is my favorite (and my favorite George solo ever), but I also love "What Is Life," "Beware of Darkness," "Wah-Wah," "Isn't It A Pity," and his cover of "If Not For You." George had a funny description of this album: "I didn't have many tunes on Beatles records, so doing an album like All Things Must Pass was like going to the bathroom and letting it out."
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

No pun intended...

...but that's some good s**t....