George Harrison's solo work.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

George Harrison's solo work.

I noticed a great appreciation for George Harrison on the Beatles thread. I thought maybe we could expand this discussion on a separate thread of it's own.

I always thought that Harrison made the best post Beatles solo LP's. McCartney ( with or without Wings) made some good LP's and, I believe , better singles. Lennon had some great solo songs, but putting the tracks where Yoko sings often tarnishes the overall album. Ringo, made some good singles but his albums usually didn't quite cut it with me.

Harrison LP's like Cloud Nine, Extra Texture and 33 1/3 were always "under the radar", but fine LP's. The stigma that George always had to overcome was the fact that his first solo LP was just absolutely brilliant. He used many really great, talented musicians on all his efforts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: George Harrison's solo work.

Don't have time to expand but I agree with you 100%.

All Things Must Pass, IMO is a masterpeice and his work with the Traveling Wilbury's alone makes him a giant in the industry. Think about it, who wouldn't have wanted to be a fly on the wall in that recording studio with Harrison, Dylan, Orbison and Petty? Think about Jeff Lynne. He probably felt like a pitcher on the "27" Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

slight deviation here, but has anyone checked out fistful of mercy? dhani harrison, ben harper, and one more whose name is escaping me at the moment.  there was a great article on this site about their recording process, but i haven't gotten to hear anything myself...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: George Harrison's solo work.:
    [QUOTE]Don't have time to expand but I agree with you 100%. All Things Must Pass, IMO is a masterpeice and his work with the Traveling Wilbury's alone makes him a giant in the industry. Think about it, who wouldn't have wanted to be a fly on the wall in that recording studio with Harrison, Dylan, Orbison and Petty? Think about Jeff Lynne. He probably felt like a pitcher on the "27" Yankees.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I always pictured Jeff Lynne as a leftfielder/pinch hitter. He had the Bernie Carbo hairstyle before Bernie Carbo.

I wonder if Carbo ever had the "Birmingham Blues?" (song from ELO's 'Out of the Blue' double LP).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

(Fistful Of Mercy = excellent from the few songs I've heard...but then I'm a Ben Harper fan back from "Will To Live" [Joseph Arthur is the 3rd member])

Back to George: ATMP was brilliant, of course, and "Living In A Material World" was just a notch short of that.  I always felt that I knew what I was getting with George...very steady, sentimental, and a unique perspective on the world and humanity...but he talked about it through his music, not the media.

And I admit I have a strange attachment to "Crackerbox Palace"...I can't explain it for the life of me, but the video is deliriously goofy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I love Dark Horse. Simple but beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ODvpEt2ge0

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Late to the part, but I think "All Things Must Pass" is the best solo album by one of the former Beatles. A triple album with some fantastic songs, my favorite being ""What Is Life," "Isn't It a Pity" and the title track (I and II).

In all honesty, didn't really consider anything else he did to be a truly great album. But man, "All Things Must Pass" ... incredible.

(Hmm ... future topic ... Best Former Beatle Solo Albums).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

"My Sweet Lord" has universal appeal (except maybe to aetheists).  Possibly , it could survive a very long span of time, providing this world doesn't destroy itself first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]"My Sweet Lord" has universal appeal (except maybe to aetheists).  Possibly , it could survive a very long span of time, providing this world doesn't destroy itself first.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

As a devout non-believer, I beg to differ ('jesus is just alright with me', and all that...).  It was, in fact, George's sense of spirituality that kept me interested in his work lo these many years.  He thought, he felt and he expressed, but he never, ever preached....at least not to my ears.

I look to "Living In A Material World" as an underrated jewel of an LP, and songs like "Give Me Love" and "Don't Make Me Wait Too Long" are simultaneously uplifting and heart-rending.  IMO, one needn't prescribe to a specific denomination to appreciate an old soul or the wisdom they pass on....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]"My Sweet Lord" has universal appeal (except maybe to aetheists).  Possibly , it could survive a very long span of time, providing this world doesn't destroy itself first.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

I believe our planet was "seeded" by aliens. Although essentially an Atheist or Agnostic...or whatever term we use these days, I still tolerate (don't really celebrate) all the religious holidays (Xmas , Easter, etc.)for the sake of my friends and co-workers.

I still love "My Sweet Lord." It is a very inspirational work and has a good tempo.

Incidently , the "Lord" that Harrison is referring to is likely "Krishna" not Jesus, Allah or Buddah....but the beauty of it is you can substitute the saviour of your choice and ignore the "Krishna, Krishna, Hari, Hari"chant in the chorus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: George Harrison's solo work. : I believe our planet was "seeded" by aliens. Although essentially an Atheist or Agnostic...or whatever term we use these days, I still tolerate (don't really celebrate) all the religious holidays (Xmas , Easter, etc.)for the sake of my friends and co-workers. I still love "My Sweet Lord." It is a very inspirational work and has a good tempo. Incidently , the "Lord" that Harrison is referring to is likely "Krishna" not Jesus, Allah or Buddah....but the beauty of it is you can substitute the saviour of your choice and ignore the "Krishna, Krishna, Hari, Hari"chant in the chorus.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]   
    My honest impression of "My Sweet Lord" was that it was a multi-religeous song because in addition to lyrics you listed, the vocalists also sing: (H)allelujah allelujah.  If I'm not mistaken, in Judaeo-Christian scripture this litterally means: Praise Ja (Jehovah).  The biblical name for God.  Essentially we are both saying the same thing about the song having universal inspirational appeal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]Don't have time to expand but I agree with you 100%. All Things Must Pass, IMO is a masterpeice and his work with the Traveling Wilbury's alone makes him a giant in the industry. Think about it, who wouldn't have wanted to be a fly on the wall in that recording studio with Harrison, Dylan, Orbison and Petty? Think about Jeff Lynne. He probably felt like a pitcher on the "27" Yankees.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Funny that you mentioned the 27 Yankees. On Prime 9 an the MLB Network they rated the 27 Yankees pitching staff one of the top 9 of all time. They never get the credit because of Murderers Row. Hoyt, Pennock and the 2 others were superb. And I love Harrison's solo work. Lennon was my favorite but I have to give the nod to George for his work after they broke up.