Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning?

Another poster started a thread about revivals of your own music collection, and it made me think about how nice it was that I could pull out some 'old compact discs' and fire them on the car stereo and they would pretty much sound the same as they did when I first played them way back in the Nineties.

The CD has been with us almost thirty years now.  At the time it was a big step forward in some respects.  Clean digital sound in a small package that would supposedly hold up a long time.  No pops or crackles, no hiss, no tapes jamming and turning to spaghetti.  You could cram 74 minutes of sound onto one of the little suckers, enough to hold some double albums and greatest hits compilations complete with bonus tracks.

I have to confess I got hooked on the CD and its convenience.  I set out to replicate all the best of my vinyl and 8 track tape collections, and I succeeded.

Neil Young did bring me down a bit when he preached about the superiority of good old analog sound.  Damn, I thought, nothing is perfect.

Now the CD may be spinning its way out of the scene, replaced by the magical MP3 files that can give you 2,000 songs in the palm of your hand.

Personally I still prefer the CD.  It's just so much more tangible to me.  You get the cover art and the booklet and it just feels more to me like I completed a real transaction with the artist and I have earned the right to handle and play it and maybe even mistreat it a little.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning?

I refuse to change at this point in my life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning?

2,000? man, that was back in the YEAR 2000. you can put a heck of a lot more than that on these days. 80 gigs sometimes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

cds just have mp3s on them anyway...give me convenience anyday

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'd love to see some of your collections ... must be a sight to behold.  Of course, unless some of you abandoned the CD format a long time ago and have only purchased digitized music.   mmmmm.   Anyone?

Is the CD dying as a consumer product?  Sure it is, but it's still got a lot of life left to it, and it's a long way from dying.  

I love my CD collection, and I intend to keep growing it.   I don't think it's comparable to print media, either.   So many books, so little time, means I rarely go back and re-read a book at this point in my life.  I might go back to read a few passages, but frankly, I've gotten rid of lots of my books and don't get attached to them the way I used to.

Music is a different story entirely.  Countless "revivals" and the continued yearning to listen to my classic collection, never leave me.  I love picking up a stack of CDs and putting them in my car and I have a bunch that never leave my car as well.   They're driving music.   I've said this before, so I'll repeat myself.  I like being a little low-tech, hence, my continued love of the medium of radio as well.  I like going against the grain.   :)   (I love fountain pens, beautiful handwriting, real, hand-written calligraphy, and the old trades for that matter).

As for really hi-tech turntables -- I know someone who owns a Clear Audio, and it's like the perfectly designed, amazing, modern object that probably has a home at the NY MOMA at this point.   Not sure how often these people *use* it with their vinyl, or if it's just on display as a really cool object.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Unfortunately, CDs can only hold so much data.  Improved sound quality of digital music sacrifices data volume, which means the CDs won't hold as many songs and will force conscientious listeners into digital anyway. 

This is a particular problem with live recordings of certain jam bands (and jazz) in which songs regularly stretch past the 10 minute mark.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I prefer CDs for the home stereo but MP3 for everything else.

You lose a lot of the sound quality with the compressed format of the MP3.  But, unless you have nice equipment you probably can't hear the difference.

Regardless of the format (CD, MP3, etc), it's still digital.  The digital signal has to be converted to an analog signal.  If the equipment that is converting the digital signal to analog, isn't very good, then you aren't going to be able to notice the impact of the file compression.

Of course, the best format is vinyl.  But Vinyl has it's drawbacks - easily scratches, hard to store, hard to copy from vinyl to IPOD, etc.  I also like being able to listen to more that 4 songs without having to get up and flip the record.

I would consider picking up a turntable and buying nothing but vinyl if the vinyl purchase enabled me to download the same album onto an MP3 via internet.

I think the worst format is Tape.  hisssssssssssss

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Footnote:

In spite of it all, I still purchase way more whole albums (even off iTunes) than I do single songs in any given year.  I don't believe the era of the album is entirely dead, even if it is twitching a little.  The art of producing a cohesive, artistically successful album is still a challenge to be met and mastered.  A quick look at the threads re: more recent releases bears that out. 

(It's no accident Radiohead's most recent album of material, The King of Limbs clocks in at only 37 minutes and comprises only 8 tracks.  Nick Drake's Pink Moon = 28:22, while Weezer's last 3 albums are all under 35 minutes.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I still hate the idea that we left vinyl

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

My ex father in law and I just had a similar conversation last week, oddly enough. He says he hasn't purchased any new CDs for his store in a few months now - and in fact is in the process of phasing it out of his business.  With people having access to MP3s online at Amazon.com and iTunes, nobody is buying CDs anymore.  

Of course, the sample size is a small town 45 minutes from Boston, but for him, a mom-and-pop type store, the business just isn't there for CDs. 

My daughter prefers CDs.  I do, too....though I use my MP3 like I used to use my old dual tape deck (and yeah, tape is the worst format) - to record a bunch of songs for a driving mix....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the end of CDs will occur when they start selling a high quality digital version online and then a piece of equipment that can translate the digital into analog from any source.  At the very least, they should slap a USB connection on CD players, if that remains the piece of equipment used to translate digital to analog.

I realize that I can plug an ipod/MP3 directly to my pre-amp, but I would prefer something that did a little better job of converting digital to analog.  Also, I would love the ability to plug thumbnail drive into my stereo. 

By the way, my new car has a USB connection in the glove compartment that allows me to copy music to the car stereo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I have (just a guess) well over 10,000 CDs and I don't see myself parting with them soon.  They are good friends who only let me down when they fail because I allowed them to get scratched.  I started to buy them when CDs first came out (BTW if you have old CDs you should  clean them now and then, both sides, they are finding that oils from your fingers are causing deterioration over long periods of time resulting in failure of the disc)  I get all my music in CD form, even if its downloaded I'll make a CD copy.  I do this for two reasons, one I feel the need to have something real/concrete in my hand when I get a new album (Old School I guess). And second, a few years back my I-POD was stolen and at the same time my computer crashed ( with out my backing up my files) Yea it was a pretty shi++y day.  With the loss of all info on the comp along went my I-Tunes.  Fortunatly I had loaded only CDs onto the computer so when the I-POD was replaced I didn't have to re-purchese all my music, I just had to go through the exicting task of re-installing everything back.  I have since bought an external  memorey which now holds all my tunes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning?:
    [QUOTE]I have (just a guess) well over 10,000 CDs and I don't see myself parting with them soon.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Holy smoke, that is an impressive number.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

It's more like an addiction

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Funny...I also create CDs from digital downloads as backups (as well as perform backups of my music files to avoid the aforementioned loss of data from drive crashes).

Ironically or not, the advent of digital music has allowed me to make hundreds of mix CDs for myself or for sharing.  It's a bit more fun than sharing flash drives....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I been thinking of starting a make me a mix-tape forum, it has to follow a theme of sorts and last no more than 80 min (the length of a CD-R)

It seems that the I-POD w/ genius has killed the art of mixed tapes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning?:
    [QUOTE]It's more like an addiction
    Are you also addicted to keeping them organized?  By artist?  And they go all the way back to when you first started buying CDs?  Seriously?  :)
    Must take your wife hours and hours to clean them.  ha ha ha. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i love my ipod shuffle. don't get me wrong, i am a firm believer in albums as a whole, but it's almost as if it just gets me sometimes. some really weird coincidences. i narrowed my ipod to 1800 or so songs that i determined i would enjoy listening to at any given moment. it has not served me wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning? : Are you also addicted to keeping them organized?  By artist?  And they go all the way back to when you first started buying CDs?  Seriously?  :) Must take your wife hours and hours to clean them.  ha ha ha. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Autobiographical.

She's not allowed near the command central bunker where 3 weeks of food, water and a generator are stored.... just in case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give Me Convenience Part 4 - Format Wars - How Much Longer Will the Compact Disc Be Spinning? : Autobiographical. She's not allowed near the command central bunker where 3 weeks of food, water and a generator are stored.... just in case.

...alphabetical?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE] : ...alphanbetical?
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

NOPE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

wait, what? as in in order of how old you were when you got them or something?

SO LOST i hate fridays

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]wait, what? as in in order of how old you were when you got them or something? SO LOST i hate fridays
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvOnDlql5g

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I thought you would enjoy hearing how I live up to my screen name, and to up the ante as a member of the Music Forum, that I rescued my 90-minute power yoga class from having no music last night. 

My teacher's iPod, that she's been using to play music for our class for (at least) a few years, has been having a volume problem with the stereo equipment in the fitness room.  If it had not been for my Loreena McKennitt CDs, that I gladly ran out to my car to retrieve, we would not have had music for the class. 

So, do not underestimate the CD.  I admit, I was laughing to myself, remembering this thread when I offered to get the CDs out of my car.  Many people thanked me for the music after class.

It was nice to help solve a "yoga music" predicament.  :) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i find that the only compact discs i listen to are the mixes that i made when i was younger...throwbacks