Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...)

What would you consider your top 5 (or thereabouts) metal albums?  I know there's a fine line (in some cases) between hard rock and metal, but just go with your own definition.   What do you say?  

Also, what metal bands do you consider sub-par (or just downright crappy)?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...)

Top 5

Deep Purple - In Rock
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    BOC - Secret Treaties
    Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Next 5

Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Led Zeppelin - II
    Black Sabbath - Sabotage
    Scorpions - Lovedrive
    Judas Priest - British Steel

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'll get to this one tomorrow.

This is way too important a question to answer incorrectly. (Besides , I've got work to do!).

I'll likely chime in with about 8 to 10.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Tough calls, but I have to go with my instincts, inpo*:

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
    Ozzy - Blizzard Of Ozz
    Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
    Tool - Aenima

* leaving out Sabbath and Zeppelin or proto-metal like MC5 for clarity's sake

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...):
    [QUOTE]I'll get to this one tomorrow. This is way too important a question to answer incorrectly. (Besides , I've got work to do!). I'll likely chime in with about 8 to 10.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I'll look forward to seeing the 8-10 titles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And everyone, if you want to sub-genre them (progressive, classic, etc.) then do so.  It's interesting to see what you come up with.

Also, who do you think are particularly crAppy* metal bands?   I will edit my original post  -- I meant to put this question in it.    

*Thanks for the tip re: Crap.  Good to know.   :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) : I'll look forward to seeing the 8-10 titles. --------------------------------------------------------------------- And everyone, if you want to sub-genre them (progressive, classic, etc.) then do so.  It's interesting to see what you come up with. Also, who do you think are particularly cr*ppy metal bands?   I will edit my original post  -- I meant to put this question in it.    
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Particularly cr*ppy metal bands-for me that would be bands like Poison and the other Motley Crue wannabes. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Wow - tough as I still have never figured out the difference between Hard Rock and Metal. And based on Sam Dunne's 11 part documentary called Metal Evolution, Metal has been split into 23 different sub-genre's. Based on this, I will give you two separate lists.

Pure Metal

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Master's of Reality - Black Sabbath
    Ace of Spades - Motorhead
    Peace Sells.. But Who's Buying - Megadeth
    Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
    Spreading the Disease - Anthrax (Shout out for my NY boys)

Hard Rock/Heavy Metal

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin 1 - Led Zep
    Deep Purple In Rock - Deep Purple
    Masters of Reality - Black Sabbath
    Queen II - Queen
    Rocks - Aerosmith
    High and Dry - Def Leppard
    Appetite for Destruction - Guns and Roses
    Back in Black - AC/DC
    Pyromania - Def Leppard
    Highway to Hell - AC/DC

Sabbath being IMO, the first true Metal band is on both lists.

I very much dislike the genre of Nu-Metal, especially anything that uses what is called "Gutteral Vocals". Limp Bizkit is the absolute worst Metal band ever. Also, I am not a fan of Death Metal - see gutteral voacls.

Speaking of Metal - If you have not had a chance to see all the episodes of Metal Evolution, I do suggest you try and see them. It was well done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of Metal - If you have not had a chance to see all the episodes of Metal Evolution, I do suggest you try and see them. It was well done.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Good call.  I've seen most of these and enjoyed them very much.

Most of the info I had read/seen in other places, but the host gets some killer face time with the artists, and his approach to the whole thing is endearingly honest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Deep Purple- Machine Head
    AC/DC -Highway to Hell,Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap,Back in Black
    Black Sabbath-Paranoid
    Ozzy Osbourne- Diary of a Madman
    Judas Priest-Stained Class
    Motley Crue- SHOUT AT THE DEVIL (See what I did there?)
    Led Zeppelin-2,Physical Graffiti
    Metallica-Black album

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I would also like to add honorable mention to both AIC and Soundgarden.There is nothing Grunge about them. And one othe Seattle band - Queensryche.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I would also like to add honorable mention to both AIC and Soundgarden.There is nothing Grunge about them. And one othe Seattle band - Queensryche.
    Any albums in particular?

BTW, I do remember you mentioning that 12-part series on metal, and it does sound like a virtual classroom of sorts and a fun way to get knowledge of metal.  There seems to be so much stereotyping on "real" metal being that gutteral, self-parodying music you mentioned.  

As for Poison, I hardly knew who they were until Brett Michaels was in the news due to a brain hemorrhage -- and miraculous recovery (good for him, I'm sure no one wishes him any ill with regard to his health or personal life, that goes without saying).   But it is funny to see Poison reviled here -- definitely not a metal band to pursue.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) : Any albums in particular? BTW, I do remember you mentioning that 12-part series on metal, and it does sound like a virtual classroom of sorts and a fun way to get knowledge of metal.  There seems to be so much stereotyping on "real" metal being that gutteral, self-parodying music you mentioned.   As for Poison, I hardly knew who they were until Brett Michaels was in the news due to a brain hemorrhage -- and miraculous recovery (good for him, I'm sure no one wishes him any ill with regard to his health or personal life, that goes without saying).   But it is funny to see Poison reviled here -- definitely not a metal band to pursue.    

AIC - Facelift was the album, SAP, the EP,  that gave us "Man in the Box" which is just a genius piece of music, but I love Dirt. The song Rooster remains one of my favorite songs of all time.

Soundgarden - Any of their first few albums can rank up there with the best, but with Down on the Upside, they played around with a little more melody and really emphasized Cornell's amazing vocal range. And when you add in the track, Blow up The Outisde World, I was completely in awe. When I was still DJ'ing small little clubs in the Bronx back in the late 90's, I always followed Rooster with Blow Up The Outside World. And it always got a gigantic reaction from the crowd.

As for Poison, they never attempted to be more than what they were, 4 kids from PA. who just wanted to be Rock Stars and that is exactly what they became. They certainly were not a original band of any sort and their compositions were fairly middle of the road fist waving Pop Metal songs. But that is not to take away from a couple of tracks that were just off the rail good. On each of their first two albums, they released two great garage band rock songs: Talk Dirty To Me and Nothin But A Good Time. In my will, I have it clearly stated that along with Megadeth's, A Tout Le Monde which is to be played at my funeral, Nothin But A Good Time is to be etched into my grave stone. They are simple songs but filled with more testosterone than a case of steroids and more fun than any one song should be allowed to have. Their third album - Flesh and Blood had several songs that were far and away better than anything they previously did and showed their progression as a band. But by the end of this album, drugs and egos had started taking over and it all started falling apart. CC was gone by the next album.

Zak Wylde of Black Label Society and former Ozzy partner called CC DeVille the Don Rickles on steroids of Rock musicians. He actually is a very good guitar player. He is well respected amongst his peers.

When it comes to Hair Metal, sadly, the look overshadowed some excellent music and musicianship. Cinderella was by far one of the best Blues-Rock Bands to emerge in 15 years, but they were shot down in the early 90's as well because of the hair and spandex. I will never be one of those purist rock fans who blasts that whole scene. It was exactly what is was supposed to be, a representation of a decadent time where fun, excess and easy living were celebrated. When 1981 rolled around, punk was dead and I was no longer an angry youth. I had money in my pocket and the most important thing to me were the ladies. And the Hair Metal scene gave me the two things I needed and wanted most, guitar driven rock music and hot chicks in spandex mini-skirts and high heels. Long live the 80's!!!  Although I am sure there were some guys who had more integrity than me, I would still venture a guess that most guys my age back in the day would say the samething as me!!!!! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) In my will, I have it clearly stated that along with Megadeth's, A Tout Le Monde which is to be played at my funeral, Nothin But A Good Time is to be etched into my grave stone. 

You are priceless.  :)

Thanks for the excellent response.  I have other comments -- I don't have time to post them right now -- I'll be back in a little while.   

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Ah man, there's some nice catches here.  Example, Hfx's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath - duh).  The forgotten album that, virtually EVERY member considers, their BEST.  Way Cool, nice job.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Greg.  And my second-favorite Sabbath album is the next one, Sabotage, which is also overlooked.  The first two songs on Sabotage, Hole in the Sky and Symptom of the Universe, are about as good as metal gets in my opinion.  Massively heavy but full of great hooks and wonderful weirdness.

It was with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath that I thought the band really added some interesting colors to their paintbox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay, now , imagine you are a collector of something or a fan of something and have been for some 35 years and someone wants you to narrow down your favorites to 5.

It ain't gonna happen.

I worked up a list of about 25 of my favorite Heavy Metal albums and did so with many reservations ( leaving some really good ones off the list).

Now, I am not going to bore anyone with a huge list. I will simply list 10 that have to be worthy of consideration by anyone who holds Heavy Metal near and dear to their hearts, anyone who worships at the altar of Classic Metal.

And this is my list.

#1 Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath. Love Ozzy, but the boys really outdid themselves on this one, adding Dio and no doubt trying to prove they were a meaningful band even without Ozzy out front....the only split in the history of Rock music that gave us "more" , not "less"
    #2 Machine Head- Deep Purple. It contains 'Highway Star', 'Space Truckin'' 'Smoke On Water' and never lets it's foot off the pedal ( Pedal to the Metal?)
    #3 Paranoid- Black Sabbath. It is the one that got me hooked. Title song is Ozzie at his disturbed best.
    #4 Back In Black-AC/DC. Like the Heaven and Hell LP, this is a group knowing they have just lost an incredible frontman pouring heart and soul into their work...it eclipses all the early LP's even though Bon Scott will never be forgotten. If they had made this album with Scott, it would have been #1.
    #5 Van Halen- Van Halen(#1). Whether you label them Heavy Metal or not, the guitar playing of Eddie puts this one very high on any list. I consider it as the best debut album ever.
    #6 Secret Treaties- Blue Oyster Cult. I became ZILLAGOD, the first time I heard this LP, a devoted fan of BOC,around 1977-82 they could've packaged a bag of vomit with the name Blue Oyster Cult and I would've paid for it.
    #7 Blackmore's Rainbow- Rainbow. It's Ritchie Blackmore free from the confines of his mates in Deep Purple , unleashed in the East, West, North and South....Blackmore at his best. Forget that the rest of his band is pretty darn good, this is Ritchie on fire, playing with a vengeance!
    #8 Nazareth- Hair of the Dog. "Now, your messin' with..."....the song every hard rock band wanted to cover. 'Love Hurts' , the ballad of all ballads. McCafferty at his gritty best, under-rated great LP.
    #9 Ted Nugent- Ted Nugent. Ted put us in a Stranglehold on this one, took us Stormtroopin' and gave us Just What The Doctor Ordered....everyone knows Cat Scratch Fever, but this is the one Ted Nugent album you can't be without....NOT THAT YOU SHOULD BE WITHOUT ANY OF THEM!
    #10 Lovedrive- Scorpions. It was painful to decide between this and Blackout , which is really my favorite, But I consider Loverdrive to be the ultimate Scorpions Lp. Vocals near perfect, songwriting immense, guitar work unbelievable, drums and bass hard and heavy. It is a hypnotic LP that will sting with venom, and make you a believer in this band as one of the finest ever.

It really hurt to leave LPs by Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Solo Ozzy , Iron Maiden and Megadeth off this list....but I had to draw the line somewhere, my apologies to these fantastic works of greatness, I would like to just say that they are all tied for #1 and leave it at that, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of things, would it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]There is a 6 part series on Heavy Metal where this "kid", goes back to the roots and goes all the way  - thru Metal to Brit metal - to Thrash, Hair,  Arthur Brown to Metallica, Anthrax, Tool, Metadona . . . - pretty cool BTW.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

"Metal Evolution"...mentioned above.

So you're not gonna give us your fave 5, or what...?

Don't hold out on us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zilla - you are right, there are so many albums to list that picking the best is impossible. So in the end, we choose our favorites. One album I did not list is Queen's 3rd album, Sheer Heart Attack. This album jumps so many different rails that it isn't even funny. It goes from Pschy hard rock to ballad driven pop to operatic hysetria, to vaudeville to speed metal of the best kind. Stoned Cold Crazy which was released in 1974 was the beginning of Speed metal and it is acknoweldged by the big 4 of Thrash and everyone else that came after.

From the same album, I give you Tenement Funster

My new purple shoes, bin' amazing the people next door
    And my rock 'n' roll 45's, bin' enraging the folks on the lower floor

I got a way with the girls on my block
    Try my best be a real individual
    And when we go down to smokies and rock
    They line up like it's some kinda ritual

Ooh give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace
    Or, just find me an open car, I'll make the speed of light outta this place

Mmm, I like the good things in life
    But most of the best things ain't free
    Some same situation, justs cuts like a knife
    When you're young, and you're poor, and you're crazy, crazy
    Young and you're crazy
    Young and you're crazy
    Young and you're crazy

But ooh give me a good guitar and you can say that my hair's a disgrace
    Or, just find me an open car, I'll make the speed of light outta this place

A lot of you guys are my age or close to it. Tell me when you were 16, lyrics like this wouldn't cause you to just jump head first into life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrPBJHLwvu8

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This thread won't be complete until the OP lists her favorite metal albums.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]This thread won't be complete until the OP lists her favorite metal albums.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Just got back ...

Well, true confession time, fair enough.  :D

I have many singles of metal bands that I like, but insofar as knowledge of entire works -- well, that's how (and why) I come up with some of my threads -- to get the collective wisdom and input from the forum -- and I know this is a topic where you all come out of the woodwork.   Total fun while amassing recommendations.  See what I mean?  

This is one of the best discussions, in terms of assessment, I've seen in a while.  Since the Scorpions thread, I have been listening to them (now I have to get an album) but one of my favorite songs is probably one of their least hard rock, "Wind of Change" as well as "Send Me an Angel" and "No One Like You"  but what I also like, is their long-standing history and the fact they've never been huge in the USA, yet, you all were well-versed in them.  That told me something right there.  

So all this to say, I'll let you know.  I don't mind being accountable.  :D

(and yes, Greg should give a list of a few of his faves)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) : Just got back ... Well, true confession time, fair enough.  :D I have many singles of metal bands that I like, but insofar as knowledge of entire works -- well, that's how (and why) I come up with some of my threads -- to get the collective wisdom and input from the forum -- and I know this is a topic where you all come out of the woodwork.   Total fun while amassing recommendations.  See what I mean?   This is one of the best discussions, in terms of assessment, I've seen in a while.  Since the Scorpions thread, I have been listening to them (now I have to get an album) but one of my favorite songs is probably one of their least hard rock, "Wind of Change" as well as "Send Me an Angel" and "No One Like You"  but what I also like, is their long-standing history and the fact they've never been huge in the USA, yet, you all were well-versed in them.  That told me something right there.   So all this to say, I'll let you know.  I don't mind being accountable.  :D (and yes, Greg should give a list of a few of his faves)

As you learn about the Scorpions, don't forget to check out their pre 1979 music. It was a lot heavier and less radio friendly but so good. Uli Jon Roth ruled.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Okay, now , imagine you are a collector of something or a fan of something and have been for some 35 years and someone wants you to narrow down your favorites to 5. It ain't gonna happen. I worked up a list of about 25 of my favorite Heavy Metal albums and did so with many reservations ( leaving some really good ones off the list). Now, I am not going to bore anyone with a huge list. I will simply list 10 that have to be worthy of consideration by anyone who holds Heavy Metal near and dear to their hearts, anyone who worships at the altar of Classic Metal. And this is my list. #1 Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath. Love Ozzy, but the boys really outdid themselves on this one, adding Dio and no doubt trying to prove they were a meaningful band even without Ozzy out front....the only split in the history of Rock music that gave us "more" , not "less" #2 Machine Head- Deep Purple. It contains 'Highway Star', 'Space Truckin'' 'Smoke On Water' and never lets it's foot off the pedal ( Pedal to the Metal?) #3 Paranoid- Black Sabbath. It is the one that got me hooked. Title song is Ozzie at his disturbed best. #4 Back In Black-AC/DC. Like the Heaven and Hell LP, this is a group knowing they have just lost an incredible frontman pouring heart and soul into their work...it eclipses all the early LP's even though Bon Scott will never be forgotten. If they had made this album with Scott, it would have been #1. #5 Van Halen- Van Halen(#1). Whether you label them Heavy Metal or not, the guitar playing of Eddie puts this one very high on any list. I consider it as the best debut album ever. #6 Secret Treaties- Blue Oyster Cult. I became ZILLAGOD, the first time I heard this LP, a devoted fan of BOC,around 1977-82 they could've packaged a bag of vomit with the name Blue Oyster Cult and I would've paid for it. #7 Blackmore's Rainbow- Rainbow. It's Ritchie Blackmore free from the confines of his mates in Deep Purple , unleashed in the East, West, North and South....Blackmore at his best. Forget that the rest of his band is pretty darn good, this is Ritchie on fire, playing with a vengeance! #8 Nazareth- Hair of the Dog. "Now, your messin' with..."....the song every hard rock band wanted to cover. 'Love Hurts' , the ballad of all ballads. McCafferty at his gritty best, under-rated great LP. #9 Ted Nugent- Ted Nugent. Ted put us in a Stranglehold on this one, took us Stormtroopin' and gave us Just What The Doctor Ordered....everyone knows Cat Scratch Fever, but this is the one Ted Nugent album you can't be without....NOT THAT YOU SHOULD BE WITHOUT ANY OF THEM! #10 Lovedrive- Scorpions. It was painful to decide between this and Blackout , which is really my favorite, But I consider Loverdrive to be the ultimate Scorpions Lp. Vocals near perfect, songwriting immense, guitar work unbelievable, drums and bass hard and heavy. It is a hypnotic LP that will sting with venom, and make you a believer in this band as one of the finest ever. It really hurt to leave LPs by Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Solo Ozzy , Iron Maiden and Megadeth off this list....but I had to draw the line somewhere, my apologies to these fantastic works of greatness, I would like to just say that they are all tied for #1 and leave it at that, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of things, would it?
    Zilla, thank you.   Great annotated list (esp. the one about being so entranced by BOC, you would have bought a bag of vomit marketed by them ...)  -- I'll take it all into consideration, and I hope anyone else who reads this and wants to learn something, will as well.   Outstanding.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) : Zilla, thank you.   Great annotated list (esp. the one about being so entranced by BOC, you would have bought a bag of vomit marketed by them ...)  -- I'll take it all into consideration, and I hope anyone else who reads it and is trying to learn something, will as well.   Outstanding.  

I cannot tell a lie. The part about buying the bag of vomit was a bit of an exaggeration. I once read a review for a Neil Young LP and the guy reviewing it said he loved Neil's work so much Neil could package s**t in a bag and he would buy it....I stole that line and changed it up a bit.

Look, these lists are always fun, but darn near impossible to be accurate. I am sure that two days or fewer from now , I will think of a Heavy Metal album that I forgot to list which might be better than the ones I did list. But, I have no regrets about my list , I think it's pretty close to right on....I 've been listening to this stuff for a long time. Remember Mel Gibson's movie 'Road Warriors?'...there was this evil dude who called himself 'THE AYOTOLLAH OF ROCK N' ROLLA'....well that's kind of what I am, except the evil part, I'm really a kind of quiet and well behaved person, I just like screamin' guitars and heavy bass and drums!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) : I cannot tell a lie. The part about buying the bag of vomit was a bit of an exaggeration. I once read a review for a Neil Young LP and the guy reviewing it said he loved Neil's work so much Neil could package s**t in a bag and he would buy it....I stole that line and changed it up a bit. Look, these lists are always fun, but darn near impossible to be accurate. I am sure that two days or fewer from now , I will think of a Heavy Metal album that I forgot to list which might be better than the ones I did list. But, I have no regrets about my list , I think it's pretty close to right on....I 've been listening to this stuff for a long time. Remember Mel Gibson's movie 'Road Warriors?'...there was this evil dude who called himself 'THE AYOTOLLAH OF ROCK N' ROLLA'....well that's kind of what I am, except the evil part, I'm really a kind of quiet and well behaved person, I just like screamin' guitars and heavy bass and drums!

Does this mean you wear ugly masks, leather shorts and cod pieces? That is just a bit too much information Tongue out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdv5EtZQ6jg&feature=related

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Go With Metal -- Top 5 (or 6, or...) : Does this mean you wear ugly masks, leather shorts and cod pieces? That is just a bit too much information http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdv5EtZQ6jg&feature=related

That's nothing.

I present to you...the one...the only...Manowar:

And yes, I owned a couple of their tapes in my youth.  Sarcasm aside, their bassist held some kind of world speed record for "Flight Of The Bumblebee".  Decadent stuff.

Spinal Tap probably would have loved these guys.

Sections
Shortcuts