Good new rock songs you've heard on the radio (5 years old or newer)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good new rock songs you've heard on the radio (5 years old or newer)

I'll just throw out some songs I've heard on local radio recently (Q104 or Live105) that I thought were pretty good.  I'll add comments for some of them but not all, I don't think.  And no YouTube links.  You can just copy the name in YouTube and away you go. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Good new rock songs you've heard on the radio (5 years old or newer)

'By This Time Tomorrow' - Head of the Heard

This is a blues-rock tune from a Vancouver band.  The best part of the song is the vocals, which are a trade-off between a male and female singer who are well matched.  It's got a nicely textured sound.  I expected a slide guitar solo but they went with a harp solo instead.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Ghosts' - Big Wreck

Big Wreck, a band that I've written about here before, is back from the dead, and perhaps better than ever.  Their new album 'Ghosts' is getting rave reviews and this title song is fantastic.  Big Wreck is 'sort of like' Soundgarden.  Ian Thornley's voice is almost up there in the same league with Chris Cornell's IMO.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Go With Me Now' - Kongos

Just a cool song, not much more needs saying.  My daughter likes this too.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Rolling Stone' - Reuben and the Dark

Another Canadian band, from Calgary.  This song has been getting a lot of airplay on our 'modern rock' station Q105.

When I first heard it I couldn't believe they had the guts, or foolishness, 2 use the lyric 'like a rolling stone' in the chorus.  But I think they actually pull it off.  It's sort of a creepy folk-country-rock type tune, perhaps in the vein of Chris Izaak's big song-you know the one I mean. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

'I'll Cut You Down' - Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats

I'm not sure about the radio because I don't listen to much radio, but this song and the album are from just a few years ago. They are from the UK and have put out three albums over the past few years. It's a hard rock/metal song that sounds a lot like early Black Sabbtah. If you like that kind of stuff you'll like this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

'Penetrating Eye' - Thee Oh Sees

This is the single from their latest album that came out a couple of months ago. They're from San Francisco They're a good band that's been putting out quality albums for about a decade now. Their sound is sort of garage rock/psych rock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I liked it for a while, it is catchy,  but truth be told:  I am over it.  =)

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I liked it for a while, it is catchy,  but truth be told:  I am over it.  =)

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I can see it as one of those songs that wears out its welcome eventually.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Open My Eyes' - Rival Sons

I have liked Rival Sons music a lot from the first time I heard their song 'Pressure and Time'. 

There's obviously a huge Led Zep influence, but it's not a cheap imitation.  These guys are the real deal. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Burn It Down' - Linkin Park

Love this song.  Pretty gorgeous piece of techno-pop (with a little rap thrown in), if you ask me.  The guy, Bennington's, voice is so pure here...nice melody...big fat sound...clever lyrics. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Hf.  I'd love to (seriously) respond but a) "good" is subjective, b) "new" is relative, c) "rock" is limiting, d) I think the last time I willingly listened to a terrestrial radio station was around 1993, driving (ok, being driven) in a car to some wedding in middle England when the late English DJ John Peel said "This next one is from Boston, the Concussion Ensemble, it's brilliant", and e) if it's "new" to me, it's new to me.   :-)))

Seriously?  As I've written here before several times, Barrence Whitfield and the Savages' latest LP (F the CD/digi nonsense!  ;-)) is brilliant.  Overnight sensations after only 32 years.  Daddy Long Legs, from Brooklyn, will float every boat reading this.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hi Hf.  I'd love to (seriously) respond but a) "good" is subjective, b) "new" is relative, c) "rock" is limiting

[/QUOTE]

Now those are 3 of the most indisputable statements I've ever read on this forum. :-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Little Black Submarines' - Black Keys

I choose this song of theirs because...well, because, I'm a guitar freak and I love the guitar on this song.

I'm not blown away by their new single 'Fever', though I like it.  The new album is getting good reviews.  These guys are certainly one of the guiding lights of rock/blues music over the last-what?-decade, I guess. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'm quite a fan of the Cloud Nothings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIitQNXVgb8" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIitQNXVgb8" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIitQNXVgb8

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Not sure if it's rock or not, it's more of a Texas country thing, but Loose by him is a cool tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ4GMLAbUhI

Also, Everybody Knows She's Mine by Blackberry Smoke was a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpRuowkzd4

I simply don't listen to the radio much anymore. If I do, it's by accident or someone else has it on.  Clear channel has destroyed music on the radio.