Great, yet not *memorable*

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great, yet not *memorable*

You hear a new (to you, not necessarily current in terms of release date) album, you like it, you perhaps would even rate it highly per your standards.   Maybe you purchase it. 

Yet, it's not truly memorable.  You can't highly recommend it, even though you think that someone else might feel otherwise.   Still ...

Any examples?     NOTE: The likelihood of this occurrence might be greater if your previous experience with a band / artist has been fantastic.   Then, another album is recorded, and it's not as though it falls flat -- it "blends", rather than standing out.   It's not that you get tired of it -- it's just not memorable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Re: Great, yet not *memorable*

This has happened a few times with albums I've bought but never heard before.

I owned and really like The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium so I bought Frances The Mute and have listened to it a couple time and it's okay. I may listen to it again at some point, but it's just not as good as their previous album.

This also happened with Blackalicious. I really liked Nia so I bought Blazing Arrow and it's good, but not as good as Nia so I hardly ever listen to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Rich1273's comment:

This has happened a few times with albums I've bought but never heard before.

I owned and really like The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium so I bought Frances The Mute and have listened to it a couple time and it's okay. I may listen to it again at some point, but it's just not as good as their previous album.

This also happened with Blackalicious. I really liked Nia so I bought Blazing Arrow and it's good, but not as good as Nia so I hardly ever listen to it.

Yes, it's partly the "let down" factor.

What I was also driving at is the idea that this seems to be an experience that is more likely to happen with a favorite genre of music. 

An example for me is how easily I'm drawn to indie rock / dream pop, but how much of it is veers into being derivative -- so as much as I might have a 'wow' moment and think I've made a discovery, upon a few listens, I realize that as good (or even great) as I thought an album was, it's just a blender, and I'll never feel a sense of urgency to listen to it. 

I realize that many here will not have heard of this band, but Warpaint comes to mind for me.  Just don't feel their eponymous album is memorable, even though the music draws me in -- it's an empty experience. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Hi Yoga!

Did you manage to get to see BWATS on 21 June?

Re this post...isn't the question oxymoronic i.e. how can anything be "great" yet not "memorable"?  Isn't "memorable" an integral part of "great"?

x

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Hi Yoga!

Re this post...isn't the question oxymoronic i.e. how can anything be "great" yet not "memorable"?  Isn't "memorable" an integral part of "great"?

x

Sonics, dear.   I responded re: BWATS in the other thread, a day or so ago (called "Reason to bore" or some such similar title)  ... so ugh, the date flew right over my head, and was off my radar b/c I had a yoga event that day (for the Sumner Solstice).  I saw that a good time was had by all -- gorgeous day / night.  Now at least I KNOW to check them out another time, another venue.   They surface fairly regularly.   Radar on. 

RE:  Great and not memorable.  Great is a fairly generic descriptor, isn't it?   I think, at the time I created this post, I was probably disenchanted by an album that I felt was great -- yet, despite that, it just spilled into other albums that I own.  I wish I'd said what album it was (I can see I didn't!).    An album by a favorite artist, perhaps, that you do truly think is great, yet, as time passes, it does not turn out to be a keeper.   Wish I'd given the example, because here it is weeks later, and hell if I know.  :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Hi Yoga!

x

Sonics, dear.   I responded re: BWATS in the other thread, a day or so ago (called "Reason to bore" or some such similar title)  ... so ugh, the date flew right over my head, and was off my radar b/c I had a yoga event that day (for the Sumner Solstice).  I saw that a good time was had by all -- gorgeous day / night.  Now at least I KNOW to check them out another time, another venue.   They surface fairly regularly.   Radar on. 

RE:  Great and not memorable.  Great is a fairly generic descriptor, isn't it?   I think, at the time I created this post, I was probably disenchanted by an album that I felt was great -- yet, despite that, it just spilled into other albums that I own.  I wish I'd said what album it was (I can see I didn't!).    An album by a favorite artist, perhaps, that you do truly think is great, yet, as time passes, it does not turn out to be a keeper.   Wish I'd given the example, because here it is weeks later, and hell if I know.  :D

Hi Yoga!  My point - poorly expressed - was that both "great" and "memorable" are subjective.  Forget what anybody else thinks about art - who cares? - while some things might slip through the cracks (James Booker?) without being appreciated, surely if at some point I thought X band, Y author or Z film director was great but after years I've moved on/forgotten they, IMO, cannot have ever been "great".  Right?  

Sections
Shortcuts