Greatest front men and women

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Greatest front men and women

Chrissie Hynde
    Debbie Harry
    Martha Davis

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

There is no way in hell that Mick Jagger 'singularly' defined the Stones.  No way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

don't you think jagger was paired with richards re: defining the band?

out of your list, i would pick jagger, mercury, ozzy...but i would put daltry and plant up there before ozzy. jimi is amazing obviously, and his showmanship clearly ranks right up there...when i think of frontman, i immediately think of someone who is the singer only, but it's clearly not necessarily the case.

frontman used to be a different turn...a lot of bands lean towards the "anti-frontman" mentality now, i think there was a good article sometime last year on boston.com about that. see also: thom yorke...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

How about Ian Gillan?  Many tried, but few really surpassed him in that role.

Plenty of metal acts, such as:
    Ronnie James Dio
    Paul Stanley (not a huge fan, but he was the 'Starchild')
    Rob Halford
    Bruce Dickinson (brought Iron Maiden to a whole new level)
    Dave Mustaine

Also:
    Ray Davies
    Lou Reed
    Iggy Pop
    Rod Stewart
    David Byrne
    Elvis Costello
    Ian Curtis
    Robert Smith
    Matt Johnson
    Kurt Cobain
    Layne Staley
    Chris Cornell

Ladies:
    Aimee Mann
    PJ Harvey
    Tori Amos

I'm also thinking in terms of songwriting/lyrical ability....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

And a dissent on Jagger:

He virtually defined the rock n' roll frontman as we know it and proved beyond a doubt that looks aren't what makes rock n' roll sexy (though it rarely hurts), it's the attitude, the bravado, and the idea that it doesn't really matter what you're singing, as long as you really mean it, and the audience KNOWS you really mean it.  In addition, Jagger proved you don't even have to understand the lyrics to rock n' roll.  (Try singing the lyrics to "Jumping Jack Flash"...it can't be done.)

Jagger was so good, he got sexuality mvp awards from both 'teams'....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Bruce
    Prince
    Bono
    Pat Benatar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will try and limit this.

Women - a lot of great answers and I would add Joan Jett, Annie Lennox and Aretha Franklin onto the list. But if I have to name just one - it would be Tina Turner

Men - it is a long list for sure, but you all know my answer. Bowie, Plant, Daltrey, Stewart, Ozzy, etc. are all amazing and can top just about any list except for one. His name is Freddie Mercury and even to this day, I do not believe anyone can stand above him when it comes to fronting a band. Nevermind that vocally, there are only a couple of singers with his octave range; Cornell, Geoff Tate and a couple of others. But no other frontman could command an audience like Freddie could. He understood the word showmanship like no other before or after him not named Sinatra or Elvis. Freddie sang to the fan sitting in the farthest back row seat. Most have said that Queen's 15 minute performance at Live Aid was the greatest single live performance ever. And as much as I love Brian, John and Roger, the reason they say this is because of Freddie.  

I would like to add one caveat to this discussion. Although there was no frontman for the Beatles (so to speak). John Lennon was as good as anyone else on the lists. He just happened to have an equally great partner in Paul.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The group 'YES' simply is not Yes without John Anderson.

His voice is so unique in rock'n'roll , that you know the group immediatly. They have survived longer than most of the others ( 'cept, of course, the Stones...but Keith Richard took lead vocal on a number of Stones tunes...so the Stones could still be the Stones without Jagger).

Ian Anderson is the heart, soul and brain of Jethro Tull. Take him out of the group and you no longer have Jethro Tull , no voice , no flute , and no stage presence.

But you could say this about any number of lesser groups also. Try to imagine the Sex Pistols without John (Rotten) Lydon....it just doesn't work without the face, attitude and voice that defined British punk rock in the '70's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Oh yeah...I'll also add Alice Cooper.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Matty,  Jagger was a great frontman, no argument there.  But he did not 'singularly' define the Stones.  Take away Keith Richard, Charlie Watts,  Brian Jones.  Hell, take away Ian Stewart, and what's left?    Mick Jagger solo. We saw how great that went over, because if you recall he tried going solo and fell flat on his face.

Sure Jagger light it up for 2 minutes last month at that award show, but the track record of 40+ years speaks for itself. It was always a group effort, tremendous synergy all around.  Jagger could not have done any of this by himself.  And you know, if you think he's some kind of original you should check out Don Covay. Jagger borrowed much of his style directly from him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Even though he is not a rock performer I have to put in a word for B.B. King as one of the great front men of all time. I once saw him with my brother and a friend of ours, neither of whom is a blues fan. B.B. was such an engaging performer that they had a great time even though they had never listened to his music before. The man has such a great way with an audience, such a wonderful rapport, that he reaches out to everyone and puts smiles on their faces.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Excellent call on Alice. It is good to have you back big guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest front men and women:
    [QUOTE]Matty,  Jagger was a great frontman, no argument there.  But he did not 'singularly' define the Stones.  Take away Keith Richard, Charlie Watts,  Brian Jones.  Hell, take away Ian Stewart, and what's left?    Mick Jagger solo. We saw how great that went over, because if you recall he tried going solo and fell flat on his face. Sure Jagger light it up for 2 minutes last month at that award show, but the track record of 40+ years speaks for itself. It was always a group effort, tremendous synergy all around.  Jagger could not have done any of this by himself.  And you know, if you think he's some kind of original you should check out Don Covay. Jagger borrowed much of his style directly from him.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt, the Stones would not have been the Stones if not for everyone involved, and I'll grant that Mick solo left a lot to be desired (exc. Wandering Spirit), while Keith's two solo albums were above-average.  They certainly complimented each other similar to Plant/Page or Daltry/Townshend, but as big as those bands got, they never got bigger than the Rolling Stones.  And even Queen tried to continue without Freddie.

But in terms of influence and popularity, Jagger is an ICON of the 60s and of rock n' roll almost at the same level as Lennon or Dylan or Hendrix.  Even people who don't know Keith Richards by name know who Mick Jagger is - the definition of a household name.  This is regardless of the present-day incarnation of the Stones - for what that's worth.  (Almost everything in rock n' roll is 'borrowed'.)

And it's fair enough to couch that influence in the music itself - the fact that he
    wouldn't be nearly as big if the music wasn't as good. The Stones were second only to the Beatles in the vast production of popular music to ever come out of Britain.  But he still sang lead on 90% of the Stones' tracks and wrote more than a few, so he has something to do with that success.    Just like Jerry Garcia took the "Grateful Dead" moniker with him to the grave; if Jagger dies, the "Rolling Stones" dies with him.

[Personally speaking, I've seen the Stones twice, and one of those shows is still one of the best I've ever seen, not least of which was because of the performance of Jagger himself.]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Shane MacGowan - The Pogues

Peter Wolf

Kurt Cobain

Mark Knopfler

and jessey look away
    David Byrne

Patti Smith

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Women:

Debby Harry
    Chrissy Hynde
    Cournty Love (recently at least)
    Janis Joplin
    Christin Hersch
    Moi Brennan (Clannad)

Men:

Ian Curtis (Joy Division)
    Joe Strummer
    Shane MacGowan
    Peter Garret (Midnight Oil..amazing stage presence)
    Frank Black (Pixies)
    Mick Jagger
    Joey Ramone
    Lemmi
    Roger Daltry
    Morrisey (The Smiths)
    Johnny Rotten

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Jim Morrison, debatable if he sustained the band, but they tried to continue without him, after his death, and that went nowhere.

Liz Phair

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sinead O'Connor  (turn your head away, Zilla)
    Natalie Merchant

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Linda Ronstadt

Carly Simon

Carole King
    Dale Bozzio
    Siouxsie Sioux
    Ari Up (The Slits)
    Ani DiFranco
    Alanis Morrisette
    Annabella Lwin (Bow Wow Wow)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Karen O - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Shirley Manson - Garbage

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]  I would like to add one caveat to this discussion. Although there was no frontman for the Beatles (so to speak). John Lennon was as good as anyone else on the lists. He just happened to have an equally great partner in Paul.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

love them with all my heart, but they stopped playing live in what, 1965? john stood still with the guitar up by his neck...paul was more fluid and shook his head, but they weren't the "frontman" term that so many others have come to define. a great voice doesn't make a frontman anymore, IMHO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Liz Phair - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Dale Bozzio - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Shirley Manson - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Lita Ford during the 80's - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Queen never toured as Queen. They toured as Queen and Paul Rodgers. It was three musicians doing songs they loved.

Good call on Peter Wolf. And stop with that David and Patti thing.

It is still Freddie Mercury and everyone else follows him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Jeff Tweedy

Cat Power or Chan Marshall

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest front men and women : love them with all my heart, but they stopped playing live in what, 1965? john stood still with the guitar up by his neck...paul was more fluid and shook his head, but they weren't the "frontman" term that so many others have come to define. a great voice doesn't make a frontman anymore, IMHO.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I don't care when the stopped playing live.

For our last number, I'd like to ask your help. Would the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands. And the rest of you, if you'll, just rattle your jewelry.
    • Royal Variety Performance in London (4 November 1963) attended by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and Princess Margaret.

Now this is what I call taking the aduience into the palm of your hand.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest front men and women : I don't care when the stopped playing live. For our last number, I'd like to ask your help. Would the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands. And the rest of you, if you'll, just rattle your jewelry. Royal Variety Performance in London (4 November 1963) attended by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and Princess Margaret. Now this is what I call taking the aduience into the palm of your hand.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

charming, sardonic for sure...it was probably harder for them to be frontmen when they couldn't even hear themselves play, too.

i guess at that time the only signs of the frontman to come around were little richard and elvis and jerry lee lewis...and chuck berry, but i think there is a BIG difference between having a backing band and being the frontman for a band.

as always, NEVER any disrespect jessey. 

Sections
Shortcuts