Greatest Metal Song

So what songs would your list include.

For me:

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Peace Sells - Megadeth
    Master of Puppets - Metallica

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Greatest Metal Song

I've already picked Highway Star by Purple as the greatest hard rock/metal song.

My favorite Sabbath albums are Sabbath Blood Sabbath and Sabotage.  Personally I would choose Hole in the Sky and Symptom of the Universe, which are the opening two tracks on Sabotage, as their most sublime slabs of metal mayhem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here are a bunch of the quintessential ones for me.  Not worrying about which ones are metal or hard rock.  They're all plenty heavy.

Led Zep - When the Levee Breaks
    Blue Oyster Cult - ETI (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)
    Alice Cooper - School's Out
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
    Scorpions - Loving You Sunday Morning
    Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning
    Gary Moore - End of the World
    Gamma - Skin and Bone

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hfxsoxnut - Interesting choice. I would never consider Highway Star to be a metal song. An influence to metal, yes; but not metal itself.

I think the bass becomes a different animal when it comes to true Metal songs. It tends to be heavier sound with a bit more speed.

Lloyd - Sweet Child of Mine, I think would be considered more of a power ballad than a metal song. Just my opinion of course.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Rock of Ages - Def Leppard
    Photograph - Def Leppard

(not "the greatest" perhaps, but decent)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song:
    [QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut - Interesting choice. I would never consider Highway Star to be a metal song. An influence to metal, yes; but not metal itself. I think the bass becomes a different animal when it comes to true Metal songs. It tends to be heavier sound with a bit more speed. Lloyd - Sweet Child of Mine, I think would be considered more of a power ballad than a metal song. Just my opinion of course.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

We've debated this quite a bit on other threads and I don't think there's a clear answer.  The line between 'hard rock' and 'heavy metal' can be pretty blurry.  I've always considered Purple to be one of the masters of heavy music.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A (first draft) Top 5:

Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden
    Suicide Solution - Ozzy
    Sanitarium - Metallica
    Angel Of Death - Slayer
    Sober - Tool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Red House by Hendrix is one of the heaviest tunes I listen to.  Not sure I get some of these choices, especially Def Leppard, which is very high on my list of lamest. bands. evah. 

But then again Metal dominates that particular list, since it's the lamest sub-category in all of rock and roll. A little mindless fun is always welcome, but after your balls drop and you start shaving Metal just doesn't cut it anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Red House by Hendrix is one of the heaviest tunes I listen to.  Not sure I get some of these choices, especially Def Leppard, which is very high on my list of lamest. bands. evah.  But then again Metal dominates that particular list, since it's the lamest sub-category in all of rock and roll. A little mindless fun is always welcome, but after your balls drop and you start shaving Metal just doesn't cut it anymore.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Gee, Slim, why don't you tell us how you really feel about this??  Laughing
    Not denying DL is ultimately a bit lame, but even lame bands can have a few decent songs. 

Try a little tenderness.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Purple Haze" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]Try a little tenderness.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

You first, say something nice about David Byrne!  Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song : You first, say something nice about David Byrne! 

Okay, now I get it.  Laughing
    Not gonna happen, Slim.  But nice try. 
    You have made my day, however!  Seriously!  Wink 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

That's okay, I don't think I could've upheld my end either!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Red House by Hendrix is one of the heaviest tunes I listen to.  Not sure I get some of these choices, especially Def Leppard, which is very high on my list of lamest. bands. evah.  But then again Metal dominates that particular list, since it's the lamest sub-category in all of rock and roll. A little mindless fun is always welcome, but after your balls drop and you start shaving Metal just doesn't cut it anymore.

Gotta love Hendrix.

But given that Hendrix (among others) basically invented heavy metal guitar, it's a bit hard to square with the rest of your post.  I'm no def leppard fanatic, per se, but they are more or less descendants of the british invasion.

I mean no offense, but heavy metal riffs are literally everywhere in popular music.  Few modern rock bands can avoid using them.  And heavy metal of all kinds is still beloved by tens of millions - especially in europe, russia, etc.

Or maybe it's a certain type of metal that rubs you the wrong way...??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

It's definitely a certain type of metal.  I guess I haven't listened to enough Def Leppard to form a knowledgable opinion,  but I never let trifles like that get in the way on the Internets!  I have of course heard the two tunes mentioned, and don't consider them metal at all.  But Cat out of the bag on where I was going with that.

I love the Scorpians, probably my favorite band in the genre.  (Zepplin created it, as far as I'm concerned, but also transcend it, so don't count).   And then there are the Ozzies, the Hair Metal,  the Speed.  Crap, all of it.  It doesn't even rate as guilty pleasure to my ears.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Metal, like many genres of music, has certain stylistic cliches. If you don't like them, you are bound not to like many practitioners of the genre. I love the blues, but many may find its cliches boring and repetitive. I am only a slight fan of metal, there are no performers I can say I like. Just not my style. So the closest I come to enjoying metal is Hendrix, Yardbirds, and maybe a few other early influences of the genre. I do enjoy a scattering of metal songs but not any performers in particular.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]It's definitely a certain type of metal.  I guess I haven't listened to enough Def Leppard to form a knowledgable opinion,  but I never let trifles like that get in the way on the Internets!  I have of course heard the two tunes mentioned, and don't consider them metal at all.  But Cat out of the bag on where I was going with that. I love the Scorpians, probably my favorite band in the genre.  (Zepplin created it, as far as I'm concerned, but also transcend it, so don't count).   And then there are the Ozzies, the Hair Metal,  the Speed.  Crap, all of it.  It doesn't even rate as guilty pleasure to my ears.

Fair enough...I was just curious.

Incidentally, I don't even consider def leppard to be metal.  Hard rock or pop-metal, maybe...but Scorpions...definitely metal.

I consider certain 90s bands like Soundgarden, AIC, Tool, RATM, etc. to be more "metal", but that's just me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Rock of Ages - Def Leppard Photograph - Def Leppard (not "the greatest" perhaps, but decent)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Although I wouldn't consider it Metal, I do consider Photograph to be one of the more important Rock songs of the 80's. Definitely top 5. It also happens to be my favorite.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song : You first, say something nice about David Byrne! 

I can say something nice about David Byrne.

Ooops - sorry - no I can't.

Def Lep didn't become lame until Steve Clark died. 

Def Lep is the band who basically helped kill New Wave and Post-Punk on MTV. And Photograph was the bullet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song : Fair enough...I was just curious. Incidentally, I don't even consider def leppard to be metal.  Hard rock or pop-metal, maybe...but Scorpions...definitely metal. I consider certain 90s bands like Soundgarden, AIC, Tool, RATM, etc. to be more "metal", but that's just me.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack i cant believe i missed this thread, my work got audited so i couldn't go online. earlier soundgarden treads a fine line with metal and grunge. cornell's vocals are phenomal. tool is definitely metal at times. moreso with its time signitures than its tone. rage i dunno. definitely not the def though Undecided

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

AIC and Soundgarden are Metal. Grunge was a fashion style more than anything else. In fact, many genre's are based more on fashion than actual music.

NY Dolls - David Bowie - Sweet

All glam in 1973 and their music was as different as A, B, C.

Metal is a musical genre. Hard Rock maintained its blues influences; just listen to Zep, Purple and Aerosmith. There is nothing bluesy about true Metal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

I would go with Guns n' Roses _ Welcome to the Jungle

Others,
    ACDC Back IN Black.
    Black Sabbath Iron Man.

Def Leppard I always liked Bringing on the Heartache

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]AIC and Soundgarden are Metal. Grunge was a fashion style more than anything else. In fact, many genre's are based more on fashion than actual music. NY Dolls - David Bowie - Sweet All glam in 1973 and their music was as different as A, B, C. Metal is a musical genre. Hard Rock maintained its blues influences; just listen to Zep, Purple and Aerosmith. There is nothing bluesy about true Metal.

OK jessey I have to put you on the spot here.  Are you saying that no songs of Zep, Purple and Aerosmith are heavy metal?  What about AC/DC and Guns N Roses?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here is the Wikipedia entry on 'traditional heavy metal'.  This covers the contrasting viewpoints pretty well. 

Traditional heavy metal, also known as classic metal or simply heavy metal, is the seminal genre of heavy metal music before the genre "evolved and splintered into many different styles and subgenres."

Basically, the short, original, and proper term for this genre is "heavy metal", but as Michka Assayas notes in his dictionary of rock, the term "heavy metal" may sometimes be used in different senses. As a matter of fact, while the term can refer to the seminal style, it also can be used as a large umbrella term for any subgenres deriving from it. Hence the term "traditional heavy metal" or classic heavy metal may be employed to avoid confusions with the larger sense. In order to avoid the potential ambiguity, others like Sharpe Young may use the term "heavy metal" exclusively to refer to original genre and use the term "metal" instead to refer to the global genre including subgenres. Similarly Paul Du Noyer also uses the term heavy metal to refer to the original style exclusively.

Assayas's Rock Dictionary points out another ambiguity of the term "heavy metal" and notes that in certain context, some may consider it as synonymous to hard-rock (most particularly in the USA) when others consider it as a distinct genre from it. The former view is supported by authors including Ian Christe and Robert Walser while the latter view is defended by authors including Garry Sharpe Young and Paul Dunoyer's encyclopaedia of Music. In this regard, Sharpe Young considers therefore Black Sabbath as the first true heavy metal band.

The different use of the heavy metal term may not have the same meaning according to the context and the authors. In this regard, while some authors like Ian Christe have regarded hard rock bands like AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple as heavy metal in the original sense, others may reject this label for these bands for example Garry Sharpe Young in his Metal guide, who denies such bands to be heavy metal considering "they refused to extract themselves from the blues."

Sharpe Young, Rob Halford, as well as Sam Dunn rather trace back the origin of this genre to Black Sabbath exclusively, characterized by the dropping of the blues roots. Rob Halford notes: "Black Sabbath absolutely invented heavy metal. I've read a lot of essays and such like about tracing it all back further and further. It's as though these writers want to claim the source, a bit like Dr. Livingstone and the source of the Nile. But as a purist metal musician, I can tell you- it's Black Sabbath."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song : Although I wouldn't consider it Metal, I do consider Photograph to be one of the more important Rock songs of the 80's. Definitely top 5. It also happens to be my favorite.
    Thank you, jessey.  Smile

Before I posted, I did check to see if Def was considered "metal" ; they are considered pop metal.  Now I see by all the dissenting opinions, Def cannot be called metal --- despite the fact that pop metal is a form of metal ... even if it is the least "metallic" (see below taken from all-music website quoted)

"The least metallic variation of heavy metal, pop-metal became the most popular form of hard rock during the '80s. Some pop-metal bands emphasized metal's most important building block -- the guitar riff -- more than others, but pop-metal's main attraction were the huge, catchy hooks that owed a great deal to the fist-pumping choruses of arena rock."

I'm not a big fan of Def, so I'm just looking for further clarification. 

I took the bait from Slim (nice going, I was howling over that one), but then everyone else seemed to pick up on it.  So what's the deal with pop metal?    Just doesn't count?