Greatest Metal Song

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Greatest Metal Song

Hfxsoxnut

As to your question. First Guns - yes, they wrote several songs that can be classified as Metal, but in general,, they followed along the lines of what Aerosmith brought to the scene in the early 70's. The same holds true for Zep.

Good old fashioned blues driven Hard Rock. It is just a progession of the scene:

Yardbirds - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Led Zeppelin - Aerosmith - Van Halen - Def Leppard - Guns and Roses - LA Guns - Skid Row

A lot of bands who can only be classified as "Metal" wrote some of the most touching music I ever heard (Megadeth - A Tout le Monde).
    But in general, IMO, I think Metal follows along a different path:

Deep Purple - Black Sabbath - Motorhead - Iron Maiden - Judas Priest - Metallica - Megadeth - Anthrax - Pantera - Slayer

Of course you also have the side roads which were taken:

Hair/Glam Metal: NY Dolls - Motley Crue - Ratt - Poison - Faster Pussycat - Bon Jovi - Warrant

Progressive Metal: Queen - Rush - Queensryche

And we won't get into all the other sub-genre's in metal (Death, etc)

The family tree of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is very incestuous, there is no question. But for me, true metal follows the path that Purple opened the door to and Sabbath built the highway on.

As for AC/DC - they are in a different category altogether. They have basically made a 40 year career writing music just for their fans. They give you toe-tapping, ear raking, blues oriented, mind numbing ditties which we all crave. As Angus once said, his songs are not written from the head or the heart. They are written from an area a bit lower. Let's call AC/DC - Sex Metal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzb. Show mezzb's posts

This is easy - Ratt: "Round and Round"

But if we're going with heavier stuff, Metallica: "Creeping Death"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

metal has taken on a life of its own these days...specifically with the breakout of all the different -cores...my favorite being mathcore. totally BA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song:
    [QUOTE]Hfxsoxnut As to your question. First Guns - yes, they wrote several songs that can be classified as Metal, but in general,, they followed along the lines of what Aerosmith brought to the scene in the early 70's. The same holds true for Zep. Good old fashioned blues driven Hard Rock. It is just a progession of the scene: Yardbirds - Jimi Hendrix Experience - Led Zeppelin - Aerosmith - Van Halen - Def Leppard - Guns and Roses - LA GUns - Skid Row A lot of bands who can only be classified as "Metal" wrote some of the most touching music I ever heard (Megadeth - A Tout le Monde). But in general, IMO, I think Metal follows along a different path: Deep Purple - Black Sabbath - Motorhead - Iron Maiden - Judas Priest - Metallica - Megadeth - Anthrax - Pantera - Slayer Of course you also have the side rodes which were taken: Hair/Glam Metal: NY Dolls - Motley Crue - Ratt - Poison - Faster Pussycat - Bon Jovi - Warrant Progressive Metal: Queen - Rush - Queensryche And we won't get into all the other sub-genre's in metal (Death, etc) The family tree of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is very incestuous, there is no question. But for me, true metal follows the path that Purple opened the door to and Sabbath built the highway on. As for AC/DC - they are in a different category altogether. They have basically made a 40 year career writing music just for their fans. They give you toe-tapping, ear raking, blues oriented, mind numbing ditties which we all crave. As Angus once said, his songs are not written from the head or the heart. They are written from an area a bit lower. Let's call AC/DC - Sex Metal.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Good points, all...it's healthy and cathartic to clear the air on these questions, don't you think?

And I believe the operative term you refer to at the end is C**k R**k  (no offence, yoga).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song : Good points, all...it's healthy and cathartic to clear the air on these questions, don't you think? And I believe the operative term you refer to at the end is C**k R**k  (no offence, yoga).
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

C__k R__k - absolutely. I tend to stay away from that term, but it is absolutely true.

Whitesnake definitely took it all to a new level, especially with their 80's video's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Metal Song : C__k R__k - absolutely. I tend to stay away from that term, but it is absolutely true. Whitesnake definitely took it all to a new level, especially with their 80's video's.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Personally, I square blame at the 80's-era, makeup-free KISS.

To this day, I have no idea what that was all about....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i have been thinking it over, and i really don't think soundgarden is metal. heavy, yes. but heavy does not have to go hand in hand with metal. grunge was not just a fashion statement. cornell's wail may set them apart from bands such as collective soul or alice in chains, or even stp. but a few killer heavy riffs does not make a metal band. the drumming gives it away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I disagree ph. The whole thing with music is that it has always been done before. A style is rehashed with maybe a slight twist to it.

The music that came out of Seattle was heavy and dark. You can hear the connection of the music to Appettite by Guns. Nirvana had a bit more of a pop sound to it. Cobain's vocals were nothing special, especially as compared to Cornell or Staley/Cantrell. And the drumming was definitely in line with what most of the great Metal drummers could do behind their kits.

As for the make-up free KISS, the interesting part is that they were probably better musically than ever before. Kulick and Singer could play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah, i guess how variations on the metal genre have evolved over the years into seemingly countless subgenres (each darker and heavier than the last) has impacted how i view the term as a whole. but you have to admit that a grunge band has an unmistakable quality about its music that is (with a few exceptions) static throughout, and it's not just the clothes they wear while playing it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkkk. Show dkkk's posts

creeping death matallica
    symphony of destruction megadeath
    welcome to jungle gnr

not sure if true metal but shake me cinderella

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Cinderella - this band could have lasted if mgmt didn't force the glam on them. They along with held true to the Hard Rock Blues influences of the 70's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This thread is better than sex ed.   I'm going to have to go back and give metal more of a chance.  And to think I thought Def Leppard was all the metal I ever needed. 

Smile 

And no offense taken!  If you're going to talk about RnR, you have to use the right language.   I'll never forget when the love of my life (at the time) told my mother there was a band named the Dead Kennedys.   That was worse than telling her to go **** herself.  Really, there was this utter look of shock on her face like I'd never seen! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Mom didn't like Jello Biafra Tongue out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

check out psyopus. awesome mathcore band. their name < their music < the name of the genre.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Greatest Metal Song:
    [QUOTE]So what songs would your list include. For me: Paranoid - Black Sabbath Peace Sells - Megadeth Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Paranoid. The song that defined metal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Metallica, Sanitarium

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Paranoid is a great song by Sabbath, but I think they did better stuff later on.  I think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Symptom of the Universe are more interesting songs and every bit as heavy. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Metal Health - Quiet Riot

Sections
Shortcuts