Greatest remake of a great song

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Greatest remake of a great song

I thought the 2 recordings of Hotel California by the Eagles are great.  The original, electric version is great but so is the acoustic remake done live.  The shame is that the live acoustic version could have been much, much better.  They end the song so abruptly at the end.  In my opinion, they could have played forever.  Which is closer to what they did live with the electric version of the song.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Greatest remake of a great song

Here is the thing, I probably got tired of this song faster than any other song in my listening history.

When I saw them on that speciic tour, the electric version was really good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

For a song that was literally beaten to death by the radio they did a great job with the acoustic version. Don't get me wrong, the original is probably their masterpiece as far as production. Five guitar parts (I have the sheet music) and it's not muddied up by the layering. Don Felder came up with the original charts for the song (not the lyrics) and does a very cool flamenco style intro, and a well crafted solo. The acoustic version is a refreshing change, and as far as the ending, the original is a fade...how is that supposed to come across live?

After writing this, perhaps the Eagles would be a good artist of the day topic. They've been around long enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree that the acoustic version of Hotel California is pretty good. My favorite version of the song is the live electric version that's on Eagles Live 80.

The version of Life's Been Good on that same album where Joe Walsh changes up some of the lyrics is very good too.

One thing to add about Hotel California. It's perhaps the one overplayed song that never has gotten old to me for some reason. I still crank it up any time I hear it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I put Hotel California on my list of the 10 best rock songs and I think it belongs there.  Felder's intro and the closing solos are brilliant.  Henley's allegorical lyrics are first-rate.  I love this song.  I know the Eagles get knocked because of their slickness and with some justification, but the musical talent can't be denied. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

While both the acoustic and electric versions the Eagles do of Hotel California are great songs,there's another version IMO that is pretty good too.The Gipsy Kings did a Spanish-Flamenco acoustic version(as heard in "The Big Lebowski").It's not as instrumentally intricate as the Eagles versions,but still enjoyable.
       As far as remaking of a great song,the Rolling Stones remake of H-onky Tonk Woman is very different from the original but still is a great song.It's called Country Honk off the Let it bleed album.It's a nice version of a song whose words fit in perfectly with a country music style.While I'm not a big fan of country music the Stones really do an excellent job with a Country style of music.Far Away Eyes and Love in Vain are 2 more examples.I would have to say Country Honk is my favorite remake of a great song. 

Just to add,H-onky has been deemed unaccceptable by the mods so that's why I had to spell it the way I did. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

"All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi (Dylan)
    "Pressing On" - John Doe (Dylan)
    "Goin to Acapulco" - Jim James w/ Calexico (Dylan)

So many Dylan covers, so little time....

Also interesting that someone would bring up "Lebowski" on an Eagles-themed thread....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Neil Young has many live versions of his greatest songs that are very good.

Deep Purple often extended their live versions well beyond they studio version, and the playing was awesome.

Blue Oyster Cult remade "Astronomy" on the 'Imaginos' LP and while it's not as good as the original from 'Secret Treaties' is is suffiently different and very good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This album is full of wonderful covers, particularly Where to Now St. Peter and War of Man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest remake of a great song:
    [QUOTE]"All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi (Dylan) "Pressing On" - John Doe (Dylan) "Goin to Acapulco" - Jim James w/ Calexico (Dylan) So many Dylan covers, so little time.... Also interesting that someone would bring up "Lebowski" on an Eagles-themed thread....
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

There you go! I was reading along from the top saying to myself, surely somebody will say it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The title of this thread leaves open some interpretation of the meaning.

Is it the best covers of another group's/performer's songs?

Is it songs that a group/performer rerecorded and reworked it entirely. For example, unplugged songs like what Clapton did with Layla? Songs in this category as opposed to the next are songs where the group/performer dramatically reworked the song to make nearly an entirely new song. I'm not sure how many songs would fit in this category.

Or is it songs that a group/performer does in concert that changes in various ways from the studio version? For example: 
    Hotel California where the Eagles do an acoustic version. This is sort of the same as above but we're talking about degrees. Many groups will do acoustic versions of songs in concert -- Heart (Alone, These Dreams) -- but they sound relatively the same. The Layla example would be songs that are dramatically reworked.

Thunder Road where the studio version and early live performances were more up-tempo, but later live versions were simpler and slowed down.

Southern Man by Neil Young sounds the same in concert as in the studio except in concert, he adds long solos like on CSN&Y Four-Way Street album. There are many songs like this where the major difference in concert is longer instrumental parts.

I'm sure this list can go on.