Greatest Rock Song Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Greatest Rock Song Ever

What's your choice for greatest rock song ever?

Mine is Stairway to Heaven

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever

Just to be different....."Do You Feel Like We Do" from Frampton Comes Alive

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One song?  That is brutally difficult.  Just for the heckuvit I will go with 'Highway Star' by Deep Purple.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever:
    One song?  That is brutally difficult.  Just for the heckuvit I will go with 'Highway Star' by Deep Purple.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I can live with "Stairway" being called the greatest rock song, but my favorite song is "Layla."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think earlier this summer , one of our experts in the field of great music (jesseyeric) started a thread titled something like "rock song for the ages." This thread gave us all a good idea of what different fans of rock music think.

The result, I believe, was that we are all unique and have varied opinions of what is great and what is "the best" or "most memorable" or "most popular" or whatever.

I could (but won't, because of time constraints) list well over 100 , maybe 200, songs that any number of people might call "the greatest ever."

If I had to name just one it would kill me, as I would be unfair to the hundreds of songs that deserve consideration.

'Stairway to Heaven' certainly is a fantastic song and many would have it high on their list (including me), but I would say another of the greatest rock songs ever would have be "Johnny B. Goode" or "Lucille" or even "Jailhouse Rock" as these are the songs that inspired a generation of musicians and singers to play and write the great classic rock of the 60's and 70's.

The Rockers and Blues artist of the 50's often get overlooked, but they were pivotal in inspiring the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, the Who, the Animals and so many others.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Posted by Hfxsoxnut

This is definitely the greatest hard rock or heavy metal song of all time. Love it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I agree with Roy. I'll go with "Layla". Stairway was just way too overplayed like "Freebird" The rest are "Whipping post", "Like A Rolling Stone" and "All along the Watchtower" by Jimi. Hon. mention: I like "I got a line on you" by Spirit and "Shapes of things" by the Yardbirds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I'll go with Kashmir by Led Zep.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by NumbaFouwer

This is hard as you have to try and really differentiate between whatever criteria you will personally use and of course whatever your favorite song is.

Kashmir is hard to choose against, and I would rate it sligtly above Stairway.

However, my choice would be between the following 5 songs:

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    A Day in a Life
    Satisfaction
    My Generation

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The only real argument against songs like Stairway to Heaven and Freebird is that they've simply been done to death, which, if you think about it, should be an argument in their favor. I don't really know how to seperate "greatest ever" from my own personal favorites, but I think you could pretty safely put songs like Won't Get Fooled Again or Jumping Jack Flash in the discussion. I don't necessarily think a song needs to be terribly intricate or overblown to be considered epic (Bohemian Rhapsody . . .   really?), which is why I would probably put High Heel Sneakers ahead of every song yet mentioned in this thread. But in the final analysis and all things considered, I'd probably say Thunder Road is the greatest rock song ever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Oh, come on! Just one?! Impossible! One leads to another and another and... All-right... I'll choose "I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After because nobody could play a guitar like Alvin Lee.
    I mean not even Roy Buchanan.

But this just ain't fair.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Oh, come on! Just one?! Impossible! One leads to another and another and... All-right... I'll choose "I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After because nobody could play a guitar like Alvin Lee. I mean not even Roy Buchanan. But this just ain't fair.
    Posted by antibody

D*mn good song

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The only real argument against songs like Stairway to Heaven and Freebird is that they've simply been done to death, which, if you think about it, should be an argument in their favor. I don't really know how to seperate "greatest ever" from my own personal favorites, but I think you could pretty safely put songs like Won't Get Fooled Again or Jumping Jack Flash in the discussion. I don't necessarily think a song needs to be terribly intricate or overblown to be considered epic (Bohemian Rhapsody . . .   really?), which is why I would probably put High Heel Sneakers ahead of every song yet mentioned in this thread. But in the final analysis and all things considered, I'd probably say Thunder Road is the greatest rock song ever.
    Posted by p-mike

I would agree with this statement.

Yeah really. Just because a song is epic doesn't mean it should be considered either. And Bohemian Rhapsody is one of those perfect songs.

High Heel Sneakers? Never heard of that song. Do you mean Low Spark of High Heeled Boys?

Bruce - come on?  He is one musician that I could live without.

There really is no answer to this question.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Don't mean to sound snobbish to you Mike. I just hate Bruce. Savior of RnR; my azz. I own only one of his albums and that was only because it was given to me.

The E-Street Band not being inducted into the Hall with him is the singular proof I need to show his lack of sincerity in everything.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I agree with Roy. I'll go with "Layla". Stairway was just way too overplayed like "Freebird" The rest are "Whipping post", "Like A Rolling Stone" and "All along the Watchtower" by Jimi. Hon. mention: I like "I got a line on you" by Spirit and "Shapes of things" by the Yardbirds.
    Posted by jaytf25

Not only did 'Freebird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd get played to death, but, it's not even their best song!!!

How can it be the "greatest song" when it's not even Skynyrd's greatest song?

'Gimme Three Steps', 'That Smell', 'Sweet Home Alabama', and 'The Needle and the Spoon' are all better songs than 'Freebird'...in my opinion.

Just like 'Light My Fire' by the Doors and 'Black Magic Woman' by Santana have been played alot , but so many songs by these two groups have been somewhat neglected.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Not only did 'Freebird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd get played to death, but, it's not even their best song!!! How can it be the "greatest song" when it's not even Skynyrd's greatest song? 'Gimme Three Steps', 'That Smell', 'Sweet Home Alabama', and 'The Needle and the Spoon' are all better songs than 'Freebird'...in my opinion. Just like 'Light My Fire' by the Doors and 'Black Magic Woman' by Santana have been played alot , but so many songs by these two groups have been somewhat neglected.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Skynards best song: The Ballad of Curtis Lowe.
    Just because a song gets alot of air time doesn't mean it's a bands best material.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Not only did 'Freebird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd get played to death, but, it's not even their best song!!! How can it be the "greatest song" when it's not even Skynyrd's greatest song? 'Gimme Three Steps', 'That Smell', 'Sweet Home Alabama', and 'The Needle and the Spoon' are all better songs than 'Freebird'...in my opinion. Just like 'Light My Fire' by the Doors and 'Black Magic Woman' by Santana have been played alot , but so many songs by these two groups have been somewhat neglected.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Tuesday's Gone was always my favorite L.S. song.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Really je, never heard of "High Heeled Sneakers"? It's an old standard that everyone and his brother recorded. From Carl Perkins to Elvis, from Jose Feliciano to The Dead.
    Springsteen? IDK. I saw him once with the E Street Band in '74 at Salem State College. Great show. Then "Born to Run" came out and all the hype. Still enjoy most of that album. But I understand what you mean about Springsteen himself. It really was the band that made him and for him to dis-respect them the way he did shows him for the classless twit he truly is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Really JE, never heard of "Hiigh Heeled Sneakers"? It's an old standard that everyone and his brather recorded. From Carl Perkins to Elvis, from Jose Feliciano to The Dead. Springsteen? IDK. I saw him once with the E Street Band in '74 at Salem State College. Great show. Then "Born to Run" came out and all the hype. Still enjoy most of that album. But I understand what you mean about Springsteen himself. It really was the band that made him and for him to dis-respect them the way he did shows him for the classless twit he truly is.
    Posted by antibody

I honestly cannot remember it. But now I am intrigued and will go searching for it. That is what I really enjoy about this forum. Rarely does a week go by here without someone either showing me or reminding me of something.  And for some reason, I moved onto Low Spark because that song always pops in my mind when thinking of the greatest songs.

As for Bruce, it really is a sore spot with me. I know all about the Working Class Man and all that sh*t. But I never was able to relate to it. Probably why I am not the biggest John Cougar fan either. Once I left my teens, I wanted my music to bring me to another place and not remind me of where I already was.

As for Bruce himself, I just was never able to connect with his music. I found it boring and pretentious. And after that Dave Marsh article, I really hated him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Low Spark is another great tune. That's the trouble with this thread. You can't pick just one song.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

"Freebird" might have been played to death, but I'm not going to take points away from the song because of that. It just goes to show you how great a song it was. And nowadays on Classic Rock stations, you rarely hear it -- at least in my area. I never realized how great a song it was until I heard years back after not hearing it for awhile. I think it deserves to be in the top five of great songs.

"Freebird" and "THat Smell" are my two favorite Skynyrd songs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : I honestly cannot remember it. But now I am intrigued and will go searching for it. That is what I really enjoy about this forum. Rarely does a week go by here without someone either showing me or reminding me of something.  And for some reason, I moved onto Low Spark because that song always pops in my mind when thinking of the greatest songs. As for Bruce, it really is a sore spot with me. I know all about the Working Class Man and all that sh*t. But I never was able to relate to it. Probably why I am not the biggest John Cougar fan either. Once I left my teens, I wanted my music to bring me to another place and not remind me of where I already was. As for Bruce himself, I just was never able to connect with his music. I found it boring and pretentious. And after that Dave Marsh article, I really hated him.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree with your take on Bruce to a point. When rock stars like him are making 10s of millions of dollars and more, there comes a point where the working class crp loses meaning. But if he feels he's giving voice to that demographic, and others connect on that level, well, so be it. The same with John Mellencamp, whom I don't like, and Bon Jovi, whom I do like.

With Bruce (and Bon Jovi), I take the image and what or whom he supposedly represents and simply listen to the music. Doing that, he has some great songs -- Thunder Road certainly ranks in my top 10 -- and puts on a great show. So from purely entertainment purposes, he deserves to be considered a great even if I think he's overrated.

I worked with a guy who is a Bruce fanatic and will travel out of state to go to his shows. That's fine. We all have our different tastes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by NumbaFouwer

Great song, but I'll put it behind Stairway for one reason. My favorite song on Physical Graffiti is Trampled Underfoot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lots of great songs mentioned,but many still missing that some might consider the greatest of all tiome.
    Dream on,Hotel California,Won't get fooled again,Nights in white satin and Sympathy for the Devil are a few that would be highly ranked as all time favorite songs.My choice would probably be L.A. Woman(Hence the name I choose to go by).If I was to answer again tomorrow,it might be something completely different.For me,it's impossible to pick just 1 song above all the others. 

Sections
Shortcuts