Greatest Rock Song Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever

Personally I don't get the greatness of 'Kashmir' at all.  The riff, if you could call it that, is a slow, monotonous drone.  To me that song is like watching paint dry. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever:
    [QUOTE]Personally I don't get the greatness of 'Kashmir' at all.  The riff, if you could call it that, is a slow, monotonous drone.  To me that song is like watching paint dry. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's why I like Trampled Underfoot better. I do like Kashmir, however. It's worth noting that both Page and Plant have called Kashmir the quintissential Led Zeppelin song.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Tuesday's Gone was always my favorite L.S. song.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

And mine's "Simple Kind of Man." Great band.

As for the best song in R&R history ... wow, that's even harder than ranking my top ten Beatle songs. Anyway, you might say this doesn't qualify as pure R&R, but my vote goes to "A Change Is Gonna Come."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Highway 61.
    The Weight.
    Runaway.
    Sweet Child o Mine.
    Train in Vain.

My top five.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Maybe that's why I like Trampled Underfoot better. I do like Kashmir, however. It's worth noting that both Page and Plant have called Kashmir the quintissential Led Zeppelin song.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I just don't get it.  The lyrics to Kashmir are cool, but musically I find it to be a dirge.  The synthesized strings going doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo over and over.  To me a song like The Ocean absolutely crushes Kashmir.  But as always with music, to each their own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Yup, Kashmir is Led Zeppelin's best song. If Page and Plant are saying Kashmir is their best song (like Royf is saying), and fans are saying Kashmir is their favorite Led Zeppelin song, logic dictates that Kashmir is Ledd Zeppelin's best song.

Check this site where Led Zeppelin fans voted for Kashmir as the song they wanted to hear the most for Led Zeppelin's reunion about 3 years ago.

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/33058

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Tuesday's Gone was always my favorite L.S. song.

Mine was "Gimme back my Bullets," just awesome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Not only did 'Freebird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd get played to death, but, it's not even their best song!!! How can it be the "greatest song" when it's not even Skynyrd's greatest song? 'Gimme Three Steps', 'That Smell', 'Sweet Home Alabama', and 'The Needle and the Spoon' are all better songs than 'Freebird'...in my opinion. Just like 'Light My Fire' by the Doors and 'Black Magic Woman' by Santana have been played alot , but so many songs by these two groups have been somewhat neglected.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I agree, "That smell" is their best song.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]Don't mean to sound snobbish to you Mike. I just hate Bruce. Savior of RnR; my azz. I own only one of his albums and that was only because it was given to me. The E-Street Band not being inducted into the Hall with him is the singular proof I need to show his lack of sincerity in everything.

Jess I know you and I are around the same age so when Bruce broke out in the70's we were in high school. I couldn't stand him either because all the "cool" people liked him. Plus the high school I went to was hardly "working class" so I never figured out how they related to him. As time went on when "Darkness on the edge of town" came out I started to like him a little more. And after I saw him in concert he was one of the best I had seen in concert. I changed with him but there are still some others I will never get like the Dead, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews and others. I would never put Bruce in the elite group of rockers. Good, not great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My favorite Skynyrd songs are 'Saturday Night Special' and 'Gimme Three Steps'.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

High Heel Sneakers? Never heard of that song. Do you mean Low Spark of High Heeled Boys?

Yo Jess, check out this link buddy! Whaddya mean ya never heard of that song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1mzVanQVeg&feature=related

Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I lean heavily toward "Sweet Jane" by The Velvet Underground.

For me, no single riff accomplishes so much with such bare simplicity yet real, streetwise gravity...a love song about death and a paean to the city.

My backup:

"Like a Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan...the snare shot that started a war between the folkies and the rockers, and proved that a song could still enthrall beyond the 3:10 of most radio hits. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I lean heavily toward "Sweet Jane" by The Velvet Underground. For me, no single riff accomplishes so much with such bare simplicity yet real, streetwise gravity...a love song about death and a paean to the city. My backup: "Like a Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan...the snare shot that started a war between the folkies and the rockers, and proved that a song could still enthrall beyond the 3:10 of most radio hits. 
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Which led to one of the better covers I've ever heard by the Cowboy Junkies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bekuzisedso. Show Bekuzisedso's posts

"Layla" isn't even the best song on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs; it is second to the musical question "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?, which maintains its desperate lost love edge as a guitar duel rather than going into healing piano therapy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]"Layla" isn't even the best song on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs ; it is second to the musical question "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad?, which maintains its desperate lost love edge as a guitar duel rather than going into healing piano therapy.      
    Posted by Bekuzisedso[/QUOTE]

I've always preferred "Bell Bottom Blues."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Gotta disagree bekuzisedso. Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad is a great song as is Bell Bottom Blues. And Clapton's version of Little Wing IMO is better than Hendrix's version.

That album has a lot of great songs -- Keys to the Highway, I Looked Away, It's Too Late, and Thorn Tree in the Garden, which is such a beautiful song.

But Layla is the best. It has it all -- the best opening guitar riff; soulful lyrics, a very underrated bass line during the first part of the song; multi guitar parts that gives the song depth; then in the coda, a very strong piano part to lead off, then brilliant slide-guitar work from Duane Allman, great drum work with perfect timing on the cymbals that sends chills up my spine every time I hear it. It's two great songs for the price of one.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

'You Light Up My Life',  Debbie Gibson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from baldhiker46. Show baldhiker46's posts

"Don't get Fooled Again" is my personal favorite. Although, I have to admit that Robin Trower's "Too Rolling Stoned" and the Allman Brother's live version of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" from the Fillmore East recordings still give me a tingle.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greatest Rock Song Ever : Which led to one of the better covers I've ever heard by the Cowboy Junkies.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I agree.  (They also do a killer "Me & The Devil Blues")

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta disagree bekuzisedso. Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad is a great song as is Bell Bottom Blues. And Clapton's version of Little Wing IMO is better than Hendrix's version. That album has a lot of great songs -- Keys to the Highway, I Looked Away, It's Too Late, and Thorn Tree in the Garden, which is such a beautiful song. But Layla is the best. It has it all -- the best opening guitar riff; soulful lyrics, a very underrated bass line during the first part of the song; multi guitar parts that gives the song depth; then in the coda, a very strong piano part to lead off, then brilliant slide-guitar work from Duane Allman, great drum work with perfect timing on the cymbals that sends chills up my spine every time I hear it. It's two great songs for the price of one.  
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Plus... "Keep On Growin'"...great bar-room song

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

This is why I think Stairway to Heaven is the greatest rock and roll song.

I finally got my stereo where I want it.  I've always wanted a good system and have been piecing it together for the past 20 years.  Upgrade the pre-amp, new HDCD CD players, new AMP, and, finally, a new set of spearkers.  Each time I upgraded, the weakest point of the system came to the forefront.  But when I got the speakers, I was done.

I had picked up a remastered greatest hits anthology of Led Zep a few years ago.  Played it a few times and put it away.  I put it on after I got the new speakers, waiting of course until after the speakers were burned in a little.

Stairway to Heaven just blew me away.  I hadn't listened to it in a long time and I was amazed at what I was hearing.  I never realized how layered the guitar was on that song.  Changing guitars, multiple guitars, etc.

Now mind you, Zep is not really my cup of tea.  I like The Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Alt Country, Tom Waits (I'm Big in Japan).  But when I heard Stairway to Heaven, I was blown away.  I was trying to imagine how kids reacted the first time they heard it when the song first came out.

Almost makes me want to go out and buy a turntable and get the vinyl.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Layla could be great, should be great, but it was recorded so poorly.  With the musicians they had for that song, they should have done everything possible  to make sure it was engineered correctly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bekuzisedso. Show Bekuzisedso's posts

Fellow Derek and the Dominophiles,

I've always loved "Tell the Truth" with that big slide whoosh, "Why does Love Have to Be So Sad?" sounds best right after it, and right before "Have You Ever Loved a Woman?" (another musical question), with those pithy sly leads.  The three songs together form a whole.  But side one also, 4 songs, all great, especially "Bell Bottom Blues".

But I think picking the GREATEST ROCK SONG EVER is beyond my powers, I can't definitely stick with one selection.   If I'm running, I think "Glorified G", "I Nearly Lost You", "The Song Remains the Same". "The Real Me" or "Synchronicity II"; but some days I like "Carpet Crawlers".

Fun to talk about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Fellow Derek and the Dominophiles, I've always loved "Tell the Truth" with that big slide whoosh, "Why does Love Have to Be So Sad?" sounds best right after it, and right before "Have You Ever Loved a Woman?" (another musical question), with those pithy sly leads.  The three songs together form a whole.  But side one also, 4 songs, all great, especially "Bell Bottom Blues". But I think picking the GREATEST ROCK SONG EVER is beyond my powers, I can't definitely stick with one selection.   If I'm running, I think "Glorified G", "I Nearly Lost You", "The Song Remains the Same". "The Real Me" or "Synchronicity II"; but some days I like "Carpet Crawlers". Fun to talk about.  
    Posted by Bekuzisedso[/QUOTE]

The Real Me is definitely one of the most powerful songs I've heard.  Did you see Pearl Jam do it in the VH1 tribute to The Who?