Groups that Disappeared

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Groups that Disappeared

I always thought that The Animals would make a resurgent comeback much like the Doors did. I felt that their music should be a staple on classic rock stations, but it never happened.  The went through a few stages where their music grew leaps and bounds.  House of the Rising Sun - We Got To Get Out Of This Place - Sky Pilot - White Houses.  If you follow their growth in just this thread it is amazing. (and these are but a few examples of what they were capable of) What I can't understand is why the fascination with the Doors (who i do enjoy quite a bit) and yet nothing for the Animals

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Re: Groups that Disappeared

It never ceases to amaze (or depress) me what they play on 'classic rock radio'.  They obviously work on some kind of idiotic corporate-approved, market-tested formula.  

My guess is because I've listened to other cities' classic rock radio, and it sounds pretty much the same all over the country - with slight differences based upon regional preferences (i.e., here we get more Cars, J. Geils, Boston, etc.).  California was better; Florida was not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Groups that Disappeared:
    [QUOTE]I always thought that The Animals would make a resurgent comeback much like the Doors did. I felt that their music should be a staple on classic rock stations, but it never happened.  The went through a few stages where their music grew leaps and bounds.  House of the Rising Sun - We Got To Get Out Of This Place - Sky Pilot - White Houses.  If you follow their growth in just this thread it is amazing. (and these are but a few examples of what they were capable of) What I can't understand is why the fascination with the Doors (who i do enjoy quite a bit) and yet nothing for the Animals
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

I agree. The Animals had some great stuff. They made a brief comeback, as I recall, in the early 1980s but faded. Maybe had Eric Burden died tragically at the end of the 1960s, they would be remembered more. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Good point i forgot the young tragic drug death mystic

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

But they were a great band.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I do understand the fascination with the Doors.

I also enjoyed the Animals.

I am not sure what "disappeared." The music of the Animals lives today as does the music of every other band that ever existed.

What is "disappearing" in our society is common sense, decency and really good music, T.V. and movies. 

I think the Animals sound is kind of a "60's sound" while I believe the Doors music was about 20 years ahead of it's time. If you listen to alot of the Alternative, Grunge and Gothic music from the late 80's-early 90's you can hear the influence of the Doors in a lot of it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I still think the Doors what nothing more than a pompous bunch of drunks.

Tongue out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Groups that Disappeared:
    [QUOTE]I still think the Doors what nothing more than a pompous bunch of drunks.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

To be fair: 1 pompous drunk + 3 talented, versatile musicians

If you can, listen to some of the Doors' instrumental/backing tracks.  The group dynamic was amazing, like a great jazz trio.  They could have carried on with another singer quite easily, IMO.

As for Jim Morrison, his lyrics were silly and pretentious, but his delivery was geniune because he really believed that s**t he was singing.  In rock music, sometimes it's all in the delivery, wouldn't you say?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I still think the Doors what nothing more than a pompous bunch of drunks.

Ray Manzarek would like a word with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Further proof that even Jets fans are not all bad.

Cool

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Groups that Disappeared : Further proof that even Jets fans are not all bad.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Just to get even with you, I am going to go home and listen to U2 and the Doors all night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

You should try to find the disc where U2 sings door covers for 2 hours