Guilty Pleasures...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Guilty Pleasures...

Lloyd I like all of those except "Come on Eileen"...this song, much like "Tainted Love" is like fingernails on a chalkboard and I hate it.

The other three are nothing to be ashamed of, they are good songs by successful, talented artists.

I never hate to admit I like a song. If I like it this is strictly my opinion.

My girlfriend does occasionally make odd faces when she enters the room when certain songs are playing. She doesn't understand what is the big deal with Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath or Judas Priest. She also laughed when I told her I liked a group called Wall of Voodoo.

Must be a guy thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't really hate to admit I like it (although people of a certain generation will look at you funny if you don't scoff at ABBA), but I really like There's Something Going On, by Frida.

I am less willing, however, to admit to the general public that I actually like several Air Supply songs. . . .

. . .   okay . . .   maybe not several.

Some.

A few.

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hey from Texas.

I don't know if "One Hit Wonder" bands truly qualify as guilty pleasures. They were hits for reasons.

When it comes to this category, I tend to give The Monkees the nod because so many dismiss them. That aside, I give you:

Tim Curry

"The Rock"

Although he had the lead vocals in "Sweet Transvestite" from Rocky Horror, not many followed his follow up recordings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

• There are songs that I think are very good melodies and/ or arrangements but because I have different values, now that I'm 59, compared to my crazy youth, I dislike certain lyrics in the songs.  I usually do not listen to these songs:
    • Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones
    • Cocaine - Eric Clapton
    • The Pusher - Steppenwolf

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The original Schoolhouse Rock - I know every song by heart...just great, catchy pop tunes...I have a strange mnemonic facility for 70's cartoon jingles and theme songs.  It must have been a combination of the sugar in the cereals I was eating at the time and the acid my parents took...thanks, mom & dad...!!

I have the same thing with certain barely-heard-since songs of the 70s and 80s with odd videos - examples: REO Speedwagon - "I Don't Wanna Know", Art Garfunkel - "Bright Eyes", Roger Hodgson - "Sleeping With The Enemy", and Art of Noise - "Close To The Edit".  I blame Mtv....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Journey. I like Journey.  There, I said it, I'm out of the Closet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson

It's got an absolutely killer (albeit lifted) bass line, simple catchy melody, tuff-talkin' illegitimate child storyline, slick but sparse production...but it's also dark, mysterious and primal - like some new wave songs but still funky enough to be called R&B.

I'm of the opinion that this song was his pinnacle and that everything after it was an attempt to improve on it, but nothing really came that close ("The Way You Make Me Feel", maybe...).

Like "Stayin' Alive", it's in a highly select class of immortal dance-pop recordings that virtually defines its decade no matter how overplayed or stereotypical it seems.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

"Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.  I don't really like to admit I like some of the Bubblegum genre.  I guess its that I like most of the best songs in any category of music.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Guilty Pleasures...:
    [QUOTE]Journey. I like Journey.  There, I said it, I'm out of the Closet.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Oh, goody.  Now I have something on you.
    Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I don't feel any guilt what-so-ever for the music that I like ... well, maybe a little.  Smile

Oh, Matty, I listen to "Bright Eyes" on youtube all the time.   It was part of the soundtrack for "Watership Down" and makes me nuts with emotion. 

Backstreet Boys'  "I want it that way" -- can listen to it 100 times in a row, with the sound turned all the way up -- (guilt factor is pretty high on this one)

Feel no guilt for my love of The Pet Shop Boys, I have told you that already.   Hot and clever.  Love them. 

Then there's the soundtrack to "West Side Story" ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE] Oh, Matty, I listen to "Bright Eyes" on youtube all the time.   It was part of the soundtrack for "Watership Down" and makes me nuts with emotion.  Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

conor oberst is a genius.

watership down is my 2nd favorite book, after catch 22. never saw the movie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I don't feel any guilt what-so-ever for the music that I like ... well, maybe a little.  Oh, Matty, I listen to "Bright Eyes" on youtube all the time.   It was part of the soundtrack for "Watership Down" and makes me nuts with emotion.  Backstreet Boys'  "I want it that way" -- can listen to it 100 times in a row, with the sound turned all the way up -- (guilt factor is pretty high on this one) Feel no guilt for my love of The Pet Shop Boys, I have told you that already.   Hot and clever.  Love them.  Then there's the soundtrack to "West Side Story" ...
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

LOVE Watership Down!!  (even the sequel anthology)  So much so that I even read the zoological-reference book Adams used, "The Private Life Of A Rabbit".  I now know far too much about rabbits'...er...'behaviors'. 

Back to guilty pleasures...I knew every word to the recent En Vogue 'flash mob' bit on Modern Family.  My wife just stared at me agape....

I've already mentioned my penchant for honey-voiced angels such as Alison Krauss and Nicolette Larson...and my current favorite: Zooey Deschanel, nee of She and Him.  <sighs achingly />

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Early B-52's, not not the Love Shack stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]I don't feel any guilt what-so-ever for the music that I like ... well, maybe a little.  Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

That's because you're a grrrl.  Us he-men have to maintain a certain level of macho cool , but at the same time we have to toss in just a tad of sensitivity.   Not too much either, or we're doomed.  You don't need to perform this delicate balancing act, trust me, it's harder than it looks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Slim, I'm sure you're also a fan of "I'm Tired of Being Admired" by Lilly Von Schtupp.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Oh yeah, Big Time!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

'Put Your Love in Me' by the Plasmatics. A song that has lyrics that are almost disgusting in it's overt sexuality.

But I think it's a great song.

'Breakin' the Law' by Judas Priest. A song that advocates criminal behaviour.

Also a great song.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it wasn't me - shaggy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

To be truly a "guilty" pleasure I think you have to be at least a bit embarrassed to admit to it!  That being said, today's ipod shuffle (yes it was really randomized out of about 2800 songs) while on the treadmill had an extended stretch that I would call "guilty/not guilty", or at least "real idols and impostors":

Adam Lambert/Ring of Fire
    Adam Lambert/Climb
    Beatles/Something
    Adam Lambert/Whataya Want From Me (remix)
    Beatles/Here Comes the Sun
    Lee Dewyze/Beatiful Like You

Not sure how some of that stuff got on there :-0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Lloyd,
    I like Billy Squires. Wouldn't call him a guilty pleasure. He was big when I was in high school on album-rock stations. Saw him in concert too.

Some of my guilty pleasures:
    Come on Eileen.
    Dreams -- The Cranberries
    The Winner Takes it All -- Abba
    Gloria -- Laura Branigan
    Sometimes When We Tough -- Dan Hill
    Yesterday When I Was Young -- Roy Clark
    Both Sides Now -- Judy Collins

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I realized most of the guilty pleasure stuff is easy listening 70s like America or Bread type material. Seals and Crofts, etc.

Or, 80's pop junk that only really holds a spot due to the association with being a kid and growing up around it.  And MTV.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] LOVE Watership Down!!  (even the sequel anthology).
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Sequel?  Did he write a sequel?  Or is this to the movie, which I was unaware of until now?

And to continue the trend of going off topic, T.V.  Specifically, Doctor Who.

Now, this was a marvelously cheesily made low-budget British Sci Fi series, which I loved to watch as a kid.  Compare it to Star Wars effects, and it looked like South Park does in comparison to Toy Story.  Of course I didn't notice that as a kid. 

Overall, it's a sci-fi adventure story regarding a time-traveler and the companions whom he picks up and regularly accidentally gets killed..  He spends a lot of time trying to save the world, the universe, etc. (who doesn't)....but often devolves into interesting issues - the absurdities that could result if time travel were possible.

Apparently they've been making it again since 2007.  Still pretty cheesy, but modern technology helped clear that up a little.  Thing is, it's become a bit of a guilty pleasure. 

Been watching an episode here and there.  Started somewhere around the 4th "new" season. Some of the episodes, not so much...but some are pretty good and/or deal with interesting questions.

I don't know though.  A lot of it might not make sense to someone who hadn't seen any of the old ones.  ("Wait...  who are these old familiar bad guys supposed to be...?").   I'm not sure if I would give it even half a chance if I hadn't liked it so much long long ago.

As for music?  I don't know.  I am the pickiest about music and books. 

I listen to what I love.  I only read what I love.  Life is short...

Sections
Shortcuts