Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty

First, are there any well-known musicians that you know of, that are capable guitarists as well as bass players?  They are entirely different instruments, and play a distinctively different role in a band, but I was wondering if there are any instances or examples.  

Are you more impressed, or is there a reason to be more awestruck at a guitarist or bass player who's playing lefty?   The two most famous names (even I know this!) are Paul McCartney and Jimi Hendirx, I suppose.   Reversing the guitar, and all that goes with adjusting it for a lefty -- is that just interesting to watch but not have much bearing on achievement or skill?  How about a known lefty who plays righty anyhow?  or both?

Comments about guitar or bass skills or famous players that have continued to WOW you due to the unusual setup of the guitar or bass?  And please feel free to adjust the discussion for acoustic and chime in with any experiences or points of interest.

Thoughts, anyone?  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty

It never really crosses my mind much when I am listening to music whether a musician is lefthanded or righthanded. In fact,if I have never seen the video , I probably wouldn't be able to tell you about many of the lesser known or more recent players.

Now, baseball is totally different. I could pretty much tell you whether a pitcher or batter was lefty or righty because baseball is visual and music is (mostly) not.

I do know that Hendrix sometimes played with his teeth. I do not know whether he used left side teeth or right side teeth, incisors or molars....just that it was really insane that anyone would even think to do this, must have been the drugs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A couple of more "Lefties" who play(ed) guitar are Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath).Albert King and Kurt Cobain(Nirvana)  Some Lefties who flipped and play(ed) righty are Robert Fripp (King Crimson),Duane Allman (Allman Brothers) and Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Kurt Cobain
    David Byrne
    Bob Geldof
    Elvis Costello
    Iggy Pop

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Hendrix played lefty with a flipped over righty guitar re-strung for lefties. One of my favorite lefty players is Dick Dale, the king of the surf guitar. He didn't re-string his guitar for lefties, and started off with a flipped righty guitar. But even when he started using lefty guitars, he stayed with right handed stringing. Dale claims that Hendrix's line about surf music in "Third Stone From the Sun" was in reference to him hearing that Dale was dying of rectal cancer.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Ever hear this dude play?

Image Detail

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I guess it should be worth mentioning that Hendrix did play the bass.  He played some bass on his last album (Electric Ladyland).  He also played bass on a bizarre Timothy Leary track called "Live and Let Live".  It also had Stephen Stills and John Sebastian on guitar with Buddy Miles on drums. 

Not a lefty, but Ron Woods use to play bass for Jeff Beck and continues to usually do one bass track on Stones albums as does Richard.

Of course McCartney is lefty and also plays good guitar.

I think any guitar player should at least be able to wing it a little on the bass. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

with guitarists playing bass, the notes arent the problem, it's realizing that you're in a rhythm section and matching with/complimenting the percussion that sets you apart

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty:
    [QUOTE]It never really crosses my mind much when I am listening to music whether a musician is lefthanded or righthanded. In fact,if I have never seen the video , I probably wouldn't be able to tell you about many of the lesser known or more recent players. Now, baseball is totally different. I could pretty much tell you whether a pitcher or batter was lefty or righty because baseball is visual and music is (mostly) not. I do know that Hendrix sometimes played with his teeth. I do not know whether he used left side teeth or right side teeth, incisors or molars....just that it was really insane that anyone would even think to do this, must have been the drugs.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]I can always count on you to enterain.  Thanks.

RE: the baseball reference.  I've been trying to draw up a post that ties baseball and musicians together, but I don't know how to mix my metaphors very well.  Maybe you can come up with something?  :D  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Hendrix played lefty with a flipped over righty guitar re-strung for lefties. One of my favorite lefty players is Dick Dale, the king of the surf guitar. He didn't re-string his guitar for lefties, and started off with a flipped righty guitar. But even when he started using lefty guitars, he stayed with right handed stringing. Dale claims that Hendrix's line about surf music in "Third Stone From the Sun" was in reference to him hearing that Dale was dying of rectal cancer.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]Yes, I think it's the flip over of the guitar, without restringing, that got me wondering and intrigued, because that does strike me as learning to play very differently than a righty.  

Same with Slim's reference  to Elizabeth Cotton-- just doing what is intuitive to learn to play (or self-teaching, as in her case).  I just looked her up and the first sentence describes her as a left-handed guitarist who turned her guitar upside down and taught herself to play that way.   So it is a big deal.   

The comments are very interesting (even seeing that Kermit is a lefty).  :D

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it's crazy when someone can flip a guitar over and play well upside down and reverse...strumming is completely different, but it all comes down to how well you know your modes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty : I can always count on you to enterain.  Thanks. RE: the baseball reference.  I've been trying to draw up a post that ties baseball and musicians together, but I don't know how to mix my metaphors very well.  Maybe you can come up with something?   :D  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

You could do a trivia thing with the national anthem and World Series games.

I know Linda Ronstadt and Rosanne Barr did some unique things with our nation's anthem....but nobody tops Jimi Hendrix ( just to bring us back to the 'lefty' reference in the O.P.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty : You could do a trivia thing with the national anthem and World Series games. I know Linda Ronstadt and Rosanne Barr did some unique things with our nation's anthem....but nobody tops Jimi Hendrix ( just to bring us back to the 'lefty' reference in the O.P.)
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Awesome idea.  I'll have to think about it, but I'm pretty sure I can deliver a little trivia madness with this lead.   Thanks.   :D

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

imagine talking to greg in real life

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive been a bass player for 20+ years and I recorded with Jon Oliva(Savatage, Trans-siberian Orchestra) throughout the early 90's. Hes a southpaw..Plays the guitar upside down better than most can play right side up..One of THEE best all around musicians Ive ever had the pleasure to work with and call my friend..Its crazy to watch this guy work and write a song..

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Guitarists / Bass Players: The Lefty : Wanna ask that of my wife of 24 years? :) Seriously though, teaching a lefty, when you're a righty, and they ain't playin' upside down, is WAY cool. If you're a lefty and wanna play upside down, I'm cool, I just can't help ya
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    I'll come clean.  I'm a lefty, but been forced to live an ambidextrous life, you know?  Real skill comes with my left hand.  Played righty when I took lessons.   But you make a good case for playing lefty, in terms of being taught.  Sounds like fun to be taught that way, esp. from someone who's as enthusiastic about it as you seem to be.   If I ever take lessons again, I'm going to switch.  :D

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Add Al McKay from Earth Wind and Fire to that list..what an amazing talent.

22. This post has been removed.