Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton

"Eric Clapton turns 67 today.   Born in 1945 in Ripley, Surry, England, few artists can truly live up to the title "legendary" but it's impossible not to attach that title to Clapton's name.  His time in the Yardbirds, John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers, Blind Faith, Cream, and Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Derek and The Dominios and his extensive solo career have had an influence that few have achieved.  He's also the only artist to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 3 times  ... as a solo artist, a member of the Yardbirds, and with Cream."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton

Slightly better article:

"Born March 30, 1945, Eric Clapton is considered by many critics and pundits to be the greatest living rock guitarist of all time. Living may be the key word here, given that Clapton held Jimi Hendrix in awe. Clapton recorded Hendrix's song "Little Wing" a mere week before his friend died, and he was reportedly devastated by Hendrix's passing. Likewise, rock may be the other major distinction, because by Clapton's own admission, his chief influences were blues guitarists like B.B. King, Freddie King, and Buddy Guy. 

Regardless, there are few musicians who achieved as much acclaim and drew as much reverence as Clapton. Little wonder that during his early tenure on the London music scene, he was referred to as "God" in the graffiti scrawled on building walls. (His other popular nickname was "Slow Hand," not because of his speed fingering the frets but rather because when he broke a string during an early set, he made the audience wait patiently while he restrung his guitar.) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

One of my favorites ever.  Funny enough, one of the LOUDEST shows I've been to as well.

My favorite solo era of his ('74-80):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiY3jH4yr6U

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's so hard to put into words so I'll use pictures:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Clapton's "Layla" is my favorite song of all time for a number of reasons.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm a Clapton fan. Layla is a brilliant song from a brilliant album. I think poor Eric had too much hype to live up to and that isn't good for anyone's career. I admire how he keeps plugging along and doing what he loves to do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton:
    [QUOTE]I'm a Clapton fan. Layla is a brilliant song from a brilliant album. I think poor Eric had too much hype to live up to and that isn't good for anyone's career. I admire how he keeps plugging along and doing what he loves to do.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I agree. That album is one of my favorite albums.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Layla is arguably my favorite album of all time and very well might be my desert island choice.

Everything from the album cover/artwork, to the songs, the vibe, the musicianship, etc.  It's a shame they never got that second album done and toured off it.  What a band. What an era.  My favorite band of his. 

http://coolalbumreview.com/?p=2853

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Beautiful album art.   Amazing song.   What a devil, too.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Clapton's still my favorite rock guitarist. Layla's a great album but if you really like Clapton's solos the best in my opinion are any of the live Cream recordings or the live Derek and the Dominos album.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Clapton's still my favorite rock guitarist. Layla's a great album but if you really like Clapton's solos the best in my opinion are any of the live Cream recordings or the live Derek and the Dominos album.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

True.

Overall, whether it's studio or live, my favorite Clapton era is the Cream through Derek and the Dominoes period.

And I love the Rainbow Concert Live Album. It's one of my favorite live albums and it has the best live version of Layla.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I agree . . . though I saw him live just a few years ago wth Derek Trucks and he's still one kick@ss guitarist. I love what he's done to bring younger guys to the forefront. He seems like one of the nicest and classiest rock musicians--he's aged really well, which is something that's maybe a bit rare in the rock world with its emphasis on youth.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy Birthday, Eric Clapton : True. Overall, whether it's studio or live, my favorite Clapton era is the Cream through Derek and the Dominoes period. And I love the Rainbow Concert Live Album. It's one of my favorite live albums and it has the best live version of Layla.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Almost impossible not to point to his '65'-'70 run as his best period.  That's his best and most creative period by far. He's afraid to go back to that kind of a thing because he knows he can't chase it down again.

Mayall/Bluesbreakers
    Cream
    Blind Faith
    Delaney and Bonnie
    Derek and the Dominos

The best move he ever made, IMO, was becoming fixated on the Americana sound that he was infatuated with here in the states with Dylan, CSN and especially The Band. He would have completely fallen off without it, at least from a creative standpoint. And, it set up his brilliant first solo album before he ended up putting out some solid records in the mid/late 70s. 

Good thing Steve Winwood and Delaney Bramlett convinced him he really could sing, otherwise, we never would have really known he could on his own.

About as good as it gets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55JRi3AJRs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYC1ZFwCtw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrcUPi0fWM&feature=related

I know people bag on his 1980s work and the classic versions, along with the Phil Collins 1985/1986 period, but I am sorry. This version of Layla is hot dung:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePGrbsLDQz8

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Also, another gret 80's live version of Layla is Tokyo '88 with Knopfler sitting in and some guy named Elton John on keys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57APflL-syw&feature=related

Sections
Shortcuts