Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick

Yesterday ... was Paul McCartney's birthday (b. 18 June 1942). 

Today ... is the anniversary of Nick Drake's birthday (19 June 1948 - 25 Nov. 1974).   RIP Nick. 

While it's sad that Drake's life was so brief, we're very lucky to still have Paul.

A couple of Paul's albums were re-mastered and released last week:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2011-06-15-paul-mccartney-solo-reissues_n.htm

http://www.beatlesnews.com/ (for all you Beatles FANatics -- a bit of fun here) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick

I really didn't know anything about Nick Drake.  Reading his biography, he seems to have had a sad life.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick:
    [QUOTE]Yesterday ... was Paul McCartney's birthday (b. 18 June 1942).  Today ... is the anniversary of Nick Drake's birthday (19 June 1948 - 25 Nov. 1974).   RIP Nick.  While it's sad that Drake's life was so brief, we're very lucky to still have Paul. A couple of Paul's albums were re-mastered and released last week: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2011-06-15-paul-mccartney-solo-reissues_n.htm http://www.beatlesnews.com/(for all you Beatles FANatics -- a bit of fun here) 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

"Riverman." by Nick Drake is one of my fall-time favorites. His music is very under-appreciated, glad you mentioned him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick : " Riverman." by Nick Drake is one of my fall-time favorites. His music is very under-appreciated, glad you mentioned him.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]
    I was introduced to Nick Drake by a teenage guy friend of mine, actually.  Across the generations, you never know who is going to give you a great musical recommendation.  My jaw dropped last week when I inadvertently happened upon the fact that these two had birthdays one day apart.  He's one of those artists that still has somewhat of a cult following, I believe, many of whom lament his untimely death. 

"Day is Done" is also a stunner. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

so weird, yesterday nick drake came on shuffle on my ipod and i was wondering when he died.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ah, Nick Drake...there are few so tragic, yet mythical stories in popular music.  Not to be overly glib, but he is the archetype for the tortured, sensitive singer-songwriter-poet-troubadour...a hippie Van Gogh, if you will.

LOVE Nick Drake...a true artist in the best sense.  I've heard just about everything he recorded, and there's not a bad song in the bunch.  My stepmother had 'Pink Moon' on vinyl - one of the first records I tried to play along with on an old spanish gut-string acoustic.

Sadly, some artists just aren't built for the long haul.  Ironically, he was a year younger than either Joplin, Morrison, Cobain, or Hendrix upon his death (though one more than T. Bolin and D. Allman).  One of the ultimate "what could have been" cautionary tales....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  I have to admit: at first I kind of resented hearing his music on something so crass as a tv commercial; I changed my mind after realizing how many more people were turned on to his genius and the fact that he finally got some of the recognition he deserved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I just threw Paul under the bus on jessie's thread.

Sorry Paul!!!, but I always liked John and George better anyway!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Happy Birthday, Paul and Nick:
    [QUOTE]P.S.  I have to admit: at first I kind of resented hearing his music on something so crass as a tv commercial; I changed my mind after realizing how many more people were turned on to his genius and the fact that he finally got some of the recognition he deserved.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE] The initial ad was created many years after Drake's death, and that's why it has to be seen as a gift to the people who got to discover him.   When the artist is still alive -- well, that's another story entirely.  I don't know if the VW ad was the first one, but after posting this, I read that following the ad, sales for Nick's music skyrocketed.  Hard to argue that was a bad thing (VW has always had a knack for decent ads, IMHO).

No problem, Zilla.  This thread is just a nod to Paul's birthday, no other commentary.  ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Good points, yoga.  Commercials aren't entirely bad after all.

Interestingly, they did the same with Alexi Murdoch's "Orange Sky"...clearly influenced by Drake....