Have We Discussed Power Ballads Yet?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Have We Discussed Power Ballads Yet?

Power ballads - some say they were the death of the 80's, but we all know that they have been around since day the 60's.

What do you think? And what are some of your favorites? And don't tell me you don't have one - because that would be a lie Tongue out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Have We Discussed Power Ballads Yet?

Jeez . . .

I dunno . . .

Ziggy Stardust comes to mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ziggy - interesting choice Mike. Are you sure you still aren't celebrating the Pats kicking Mannings Azz?

Tongue out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
    We Belong - Pat Benatar
    Alone - Heart
    I'll Stand By You - Pretenders
    Keep on Loving You - REO Speedwagon

Am I on track? 

(note edit: I removed Queen)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Certainly are, especially with Foreigner and REO Speedwagon. REO and Journey were Kings of the power ballads. One of Journey's greatest Power Ballads is Faithfully.

We Are The Champions? That one you lost me on. I know Wiki calls it a power Ballad, but personally, I am not hearing it.

Stairway to Heaven and Dream On are considered by many to be the heavyweight champions of the Power Ballad.

I will list my fav's later if anyone else shows any interest in this topic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Cheap Trick's 'The Flame' is up there.   Right at the top though, would be Elvin Bishop's 'Fooled Around and Fell in Love'

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Nice choices Slim

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Here's one that I don't feel to girly to actually like or admit I like:

Tesla - Love Song

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Not a terrific fan, but a few have suckered me in over the years....

Van Halen - "I'll Wait"
    Whitesnake - "Is This Love"
    Nazareth - "Love Hurts"
    AC/DC - "Ride On"
    Deep Purple - "Perfect Strangers"
    Styx - "Come Sail Away" (close to definitive, IMO)
    Meatloaf - "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"  (some of the worst lyrics ever)
    Zeppelin - "All My Love"
    Living Colour - "Open Letter (To A Landlord)" (stolen from zilla)

and the aforementioned "Love Song" by Tesla is a all-time great pick, BB....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bravo BB

Truly one of the great songs from probably one of the best of the 80's Hard Rock bands.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Would "Gimme Shelter" by the Stones count? Or perhaps "Tessie" by the Dropkick Murphys? (It's about love...kinda...sorta...yeah, I'm probably reaching with that one...)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Led Zep - Tangerine
    Aerosmith - Seasons of Wither
    Van Halen - Love Comes Walking In
    G & R - Don't Cry
    Journey - Open Arms
    Don Henley - The Last Worthless Evening (don't know if that one qualifies but it's a killer ballad)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  all a ballad really has to do is tell a story.

Reasonable minds may differ as to what constitutes "power."

I happen to think REO Speedwagon's Time for me to Fly is a powerful song, but I'm not sure that makes it a "power ballad." It's not particularly heavy. The power, if it's really there, comes from the message. So that's one definition, anyway. Conversely, I guess a song like Ziggy Stardust is more of a "heavy" ballad, or a narrative set to power chords.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Have We Discussed Power Ballads Yet?:
    [QUOTE]Well . . .  all a ballad really has to do is tell a story. Reasonable minds may differ as to what constitutes "power." I happen to think REO Speedwagon's Time for me to Fly is a powerful song, but I'm not sure that makes it a "power ballad." It's not particularly heavy. The power, if it's really there, comes from the message. So that's one definition, anyway. Conversely, I guess a song like Ziggy Stardust is more of a "heavy" ballad, or a narrative set to power chords. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

One thing for sure about Ziggy - it has one of those special RnR songs. Definitely a life changer for me when I was a teen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Sister Christian by Night Ranger always seemed to be the quintessential Power Ballad to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think Vanilla Fudge's version of "You Keep Me Hangin On" could be considered a power ballad - but that's just me.

I do think that Stairway and Dream On are the standard bearers.

Nights in White Satin has elements of a power ballad in it.

Definition of Power Ballad as I know it:

Starts soft and easy; usually with an accoustic guitar, begins to build in the middle verses, has a melodic but blistering guitar solo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Ballad implies a song addressed to someone, ie. usually a woman.  The "Power" part is subjective.

"Stairway" may be a power ballad, but songs like "Thank You" and "Tangerine" would also qualify, I think.  From Zep, "All My Love still is the best example, IMO.

I keep thinking of one of the cd collections advertised at night "Power Ballads" - but nearly all of those songs sukkk bad.  Except, maybe, "Fly High Michelle"....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I like a good rock song. It needs to start with a cool drum beat, wicked bass line, guitar licks and/or some nice keyboard. In the case of Jethro Tull, flute is expected. Any other instruments are extra. The vocals can be telling a story (The Last Days of May-B.O.C.), making a political point (Power to the People -John Lennon) or non existent (Surfing with the Alien -Joe Satriani).

The term "power ballad" has always been a mystery to me. What is a ballad?....a song that tells a story. What is power?...Paranoid by Black Sabbath is a "powerful" song....and it tells a story.

I tend to think of a song in terms of "does this sound great ...or what?"...rather than try to determine whether it is a "power ballad" or "hard rock" or "soft rock" or "folk rock" or any number of sub titles or genres.

I think we've travelled this ground on a few threads. What makes music "progressive" , what makes a group " Heavy Metal"...where's the line between Punk and New Wave? It can give you a headache.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Again, I thought this was fairly straightforward:

A ballad is - in most respects - a love song.  A "power ballad" is a love song with a heavier beat, more guitar, more bass, and perhaps more inflection from the vocalist.

As with "power pop", the "power" part of it is relative.  REO Speedwagon will nearly always be heavier than, say, 10cc, but both are pop bands.

Dammn Yankees' "High Enough" = power ballad

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I always go back a bit further than most so I will submit a classic that I think would qualify: "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" - The Righteous Brothers