Have we discussed Prog Rock yet in any length

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Have we discussed Prog Rock yet in any length

Some of the most misunderstood of the Rock genres is Prog Rock. Or maybe the word is disliked. Critics have hated it for years and I don;t know why when musically, it is probably the best.

For me, King Crimson is the key. Genesis, Floyd, The Nice and a few others soon followed. ELP took it to a new level and YES gave us some serious long plays. Rush took up the mantle in the 70's and Queensryche in the 80's.

I love this music. I think it is so important to the evolution of RnR.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Have we discussed Prog Rock yet in any length

ELP is one of my ten favorite bands and Brain Salad Surgery is one of my five favorite albums.  I would rate King Crimson right up there with ELP.  Also a big fan of Yes.  One thing I would say about all these bands is that their output was somewhat uneven over the years, but when they were at their best, it was among the greatest music of the rock era.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Pink Floyd is my favorite band by far. I like them because their songs are long, or if the songs are short, they blend into each other.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I think for most people prog rock is always very hit or miss, so they are often dismissive of it. But that is kind of the point because its about experimentation. Occassionally things fall flat when you do that. Personally my favorite prog rock band would be queen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There are many people who don't even know what it is. Progressive is a "gray area" type term. What is "progress" in music? What is "progress" in life? It can be a highly debated term.

Since we are here to "debate" stuff, late's have at it.

Classic rock is a title that lumped together all the styles from the post- Beatles era on into the MTV video era and even beyond into the "Grunge Era."

Which of these groups is NOT progressive? Which are?

Boston
    Jethro Tull
    The Cars
    Uriah Heep
    McCartney and Wings
    David Bowie
    Kraftwerk
    The Clash
    The Eagles

Seems easy, but even though we don't consider 'The Cars' as "progressive" why not?...was this not a group that "progressed" music to another level?...do they not employ the same instruments as Yes? ( guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals). Didn't David Bowie do a lot of "progressive music" with Eno in the mid 70's? Isn't 'Rock in the Casbah' sort of progressive?...they are known as a "punk" band but this song is not a "punk" song.

Is Foreigner "progressive?" Why not?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And then if it is progressive, doesn't that also make it an alternative to other forms of Rock.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Have we discussed Prog Rock yet in any length:
    [QUOTE]There are many people who don't even know what it is. Progressive is a "gray area" type term. What is "progress" in music? What is "progress" in life? It can be a highly debated term. Since we are here to "debate" stuff, late's have at it. Classic rock is a title that lumped together all the styles from the post- Beatles era on into the MTV video era and even beyond into the "Grunge Era." Which of these groups is NOT progressive? Which are? Boston NO Jethro Tull YES  The Cars NO Uriah Heep NO McCartney and Wings NO David Bowie SOMETIMES Kraftwerk YES The Clash NO The Eagles NO Seems easy, but even though we don't consider 'The Cars' as "progressive" why not?...was this not a group that "progressed" music to another level?...do they not employ the same instruments as Yes? ( guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals). Didn't David Bowie do a lot of "progressive music" with Eno in the mid 70's? Isn't 'Rock in the Casbah' sort of progressive?...they are known as a "punk" band but this song is not a "punk" song. Is Foreigner "progressive?" Why not?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

"Progressive" should refer to taking rock music beyond the customary trappings and conventions of rock music and incorporating other genres such as jazz, classical, avant garde, etc. 

Take the Moody Blues, for instance.  Their early music was fairly derivative British Invasion pop/rock.  However, "Days Of Future Passed" incorporated a full symphony and strained the concept of what a pop/rock song could be.

For me though, this category starts with Pink Floyd - though they were referred to as "acid rock" and "space rock".  They used classical arrangements, varying time signatures, electronic manipulation and avant garde recording methods to transcend rock and elevate it to an almost orchestral level.

A lot of classic rock bands weren't overtly progressive but sometimes had progressive tendencies.  The Grateful Dead played a lot of traditional blues and bluegrass music, but their improvisational performing style WAS progressive and showed clear leanings toward jazz and spacier arrangements.

Paul Simon started as a very talented typical folk-rock singer-songwriter and experimented with various styles (some more successfully than others).  He wasn't necessarily a progressive artist, however "Graceland" is a progressive album, IMO, with the way it overtly co-opted traditional south african music into a newer paradigm of pop music.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I think for most people prog rock is always very hit or miss, so they are often dismissive of it. But that is kind of the point because its about experimentation. Occassionally things fall flat when you do that. Personally my favorite prog rock band would be queen.
    Posted by ForumCleaner[/QUOTE]

I think you might enjoy this clip. It is one of my favorite Queen songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1qjMfDxZI

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I apologize in advance for this cheap shot. Cheap, and not very original.

Progressive rock is neither.

Sorry.

Tongue out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have we discussed Prog Rock yet in any length : I think you might enjoy this clip. It is one of my favorite Queen songs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1qjMfDxZI
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Queen II was an awesome album.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It was there best album.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Pink Floyd is my favorite band by far. I like them because their songs are long, or if the songs are short, they blend into each other.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

I always thought of DSOTM and Pink Floyd"s catalog as British acid rock and not prog Rock. Different yet related to it's San Francisco cousin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Of the bands that are generally thought of as progressive , I think most agree that ELP were at the top. King Crimson, Yes and Styx also would rate high. I offer you a few that I think were very good , some lasted forever, some dissolved quickly. Some involved former members of ELP.

Uriah Heep
    Jethro Tull
    U.K.
    Alan Parsons Project
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Kansas
    Asia
    Klaatu
    Flash and the Pan
    Adrian Belew ( solo King Crimson guitarist)
    FM

Sections
Shortcuts