Have we reached a point where there are so many styles and genres....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Have we reached a point where there are so many styles and genres....

....that we will never see extremely popular artists who have "crossover" appeal such as Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson,Eric Clapton, Diana Ross and the Supremes,etc?

While artists like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, have wide appeal to rock fans and I know Country, Rap, Dance, Easy Listening, Jazz , Blues and all the other styles have artists with huge followings , too, there aren't really artists that appeal to multiple audiences. It seems that groups today target a specific demographic and no longer look for universal acceptance. Okay, I know nothing is universal and there are people who don't like the Beatles or Elvis, but we are talking about a WIDE range of fandom. I just don't see any artist today or in the near future appealing to more than a target audience.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Have we reached a point where there are so many styles and genres....

Eminem seems to have achieved a level of crossover appeal....just an example.

Perhaps these days, it's not as much of a feat to transcend styles or genres...

...than it may be to transcend specific media, like television-to-music or music-to-movies.

So, I don't think it's the abundance of styles/genres as much as it is the huge abundance of various types of media all vying for our attention.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Have we reached a point where there are so many styles and genres....:
    [QUOTE]Eminem seems to have achieved a level of crossover appeal....just an example. Perhaps these days, it's not as much of a feat to transcend styles or genres... ...than it may be to transcend specific media, like television-to-music or music-to-movies. So, I don't think it's the abundance of styles/genres as much as it is the huge abundance of various types of media all vying for our attention.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I just don't see Eminem as having the wide appeal of the great artists of past generations. Maybe It's my own view of his type of music but I wouldn't put him up there with Bruce Springsteen, The Temptations, Madonna and various others from years back who got acceptance from more than just the rock , soul or dance fans. I mean Lady Gaga is big with a particular fanbase but no one who listens to classic rock, Metal or Punk is going to be into that stuff. I am a big fan of hard rock but I also enjoy the great Soul groups and Folk music along with a select few Michael Jackson  and Madonna songs. Not to say I would buy a Madonna CD , but I don't find all of her songs repulsive like the songs of Katy Perry and Rhianna...that stuff is just pure junk in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am not seeing that kind of talent out there right now.  History says they will emerge at some point.

It's tough, though to really break any new ground in music.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I think most of entertainment has been evolving toward younger audiences with each passing year. In the days when we relied on radio, or the movies, or major network TV, there were more adults who shared in the same entertainment as their children. In some ways, rock music is instrumental in this trend. Rock is a youth music for youth culture. We are part of the first generation of rock music fans to mature and still listen to youth music into old age. I think maturity ain't what it used to be. Who of the rock generation will listen to Lawrence Welk? I don't think our present culture is looking for that next big thing. The electronic media is so huge and invasive that nothing can surprise us anymore. We have instant access to entertainment and instant knowledge of everything behind the scenes. Everything we do can make us an instant celebrity on YouTube or some other electronic media. We IM and Tweet every passing thought and action, no matter how trivial. The audience, in some ways, has become the star. Maybe this is a good thing, maybe not. But it doen't lend itself to a culture that will create the next big universally accepted star.

Thanks for reading. Did anything I wrote make sense?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Have we reached a point where there are so many styles and genres....:
    [QUOTE]I think most of entertainment has been evolving toward younger audiences with each passing year. In the days when we relied on radio, or the movies, or major network TV, there were more adults who shared in the same entertainment as their children. In some ways, rock music is instrumental in this trend. Rock is a youth music for youth culture. We are part of the first generation of rock music fans to mature and still listen to youth music into old age. I think maturity ain't what it used to be. Who of the rock generation will listen to Lawrence Welk? I don't think our present culture is looking for that next big thing. The electronic media is so huge and invasive that nothing can surprise us anymore. We have instant access to entertainment and instant knowledge of everything behind the scenes. Everything we do can make us an instant celebrity on YouTube or some other electronic media. We IM and Tweet every passing thought and action, no matter how trivial. The audience, in some ways, has become the star. Maybe this is a good thing, maybe not. But it doen't lend itself to a culture that will create the next big universally accepted star. Thanks for reading. Did anything I wrote make sense?
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    What you said made lots of sense.  The electronic age you describe seems to hold the various parts of society together.  In addition, maybe the big universally accepted star wouldn't make the powers that be, in the music industry, as much money as they want.  Because it appears to me that we live in a fragmented society, there needs to be a lot of genres in order to generate enough sales.  Did anything I wrote make sense?  I'm not even sure what I said was right.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Just look at Top 40 in the 60s.  There was every genre imaginable from Sinatra to Cream.  Today's Top 40? Not so much.  The occasional rock act makes it but beyond Kings of Leon, it's pretty much trendy garbage.

The fragmentation of the audience was gradual from the 70s through the 90s but has been pretty much compartmentalized for the last decade or so.  Many people think ALL music today is crap.  Many of us know there is good new music out there, you just have to search a bit more for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I have to agree that despite the availability via the technology to learn about new music, it has actually gotten more and more difficult to find something that suits your own taste.   And when you hear someone young say they think all the "new" (as in mainstream) music is cr*p, then you know it's not just you b/c you're not a teenager or in your twenties any more!

Going on what devildavid said, I have to agree that what we're seeing is a "generational blur" of how we are growing older with our musical tastes.    But what the issue will be is, how much "new music" the older generations take in as they age, and if their musical tastes and habits just come to a stand still and they tend to keep listening to the music of their youth (for the mostpart). 

I do see Green Day as a cross over artist.  

I do see Norah Jones as a cross over artist.  (I don't care for her at all, but she's talented and has cross over appeal)

Jazz artists?  I don't know enough about jazz, but I have a feeling that there are some jazz artists out there that have cross over appeal. 

Alison Krauss has crossover appeal.

Leann Rimes.  Carrie Underwood.  Not saying I care for them, but they, and other female country singers seem to have it.  (Shania Twain, Faith Hill, etc.) 

But no matter how you look at it, the cross-over sitch is fragmented, and not what it used to be.   Agree.  Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I had started a couple of threads about a year or so ago that touched on this. One I believe was named "Where are the great songs of this generation" And the fragmentation, multiple genres and the internet is what was discussed the most. The internet to me is the one glaring difference from previous decades and a huge reason for this fragmentation of sound. The 90's was the last decade to hold the old school (if you will) way we remember things.

The other thread, I forget the title but it had to do with, could a radio station in 10/20 years (if they still exist) play an entire three day weekend on the music of the past decade. I started it because I heard a station one holiday weekend last year play nothing but the 90's for three days. And it was great! I just don't see them in the future playing an entire 3 day weekend from this past decade. The general audience would not know enough of the songs to draw large enough numbers, the music would have to be pulled from too many places and most people are not on theses multiple outlets to know the mix that would be played. There's no more consensus on greatness, everyone thinks there nitch is great and for the most part it's not. 
    Now it might be very, very good, but there is a huge leap from good to great. And the greatness is where the consencus come's in, the songs that most everyone knows.       

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i HATE the phrase "crossover appeal..." it has become so convaluted these days.  in recent years it has begun to mean (just one example)that, say, a country artist starts to sound more pop-ish while retaining trademark traits of their genre...rather than the audiences realizing a genre might have more than initially meets the ear.

i prefer artists that don't stick to a genre, therefore don't need to necessarily have "crossover appeal." screw the top 40, if you look in the right places, you'll find the best music out there.

radiohead has been transcending genres since the early nineties, and have had few hits on the radio...but singles don't mean anything when the album is a work of beauty as a whole. listening to whole albums is a lost art. oh, how i miss cassette tapes and the lack of a skip button.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

My 20-year-old nephew was awestruck that not only did I know who MGMT and TV On The Radio were, but that I owned their albums and liked them as expressively as the "old stuff" I normally listen to.

That said, the new music I'm drawn to is often more of an extended process then just catching on to the next big thing.  To me, a band usually isn't worth listening to until they have some mileage and maybe a couple of LPs under their belts - proof positive of their staying power and the audience they've built.

There are always exceptions, but as I explained to my nephew, having a larger musical vocabulary gives me a wider frame of reference to what I like and don't like.  When I hear something I like, I know it almost immediately.  As soon as I heard MGMT's "Electric Feel", I was all over it like purple on Prince.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]i HATE the phrase "crossover appeal..." it has become so convaluted these days.  in recent years it has begun to mean (just one example)that, say, a country artist starts to sound more pop-ish while retaining trademark traits of their genre...rather than the audiences realizing a genre might have more than initially meets the ear.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I agree with you up to a point, but the original post here by Zilla was defining cross-over as "universal appeal" and while there are some artists that start to water down their original genre style (think country / pop as you stated), they are still identified in their own genre.  

I have a friend who loves "country music" and fully admits she does not like the real twangy singers.   But she does love Garth Brooks, and Brad Paisley and some of the male singers that I find pretty twangy (and not "listenable to me!)

I happen to love Celtic music, but my version of "Celtic" is the more modern day, or dare I say it, new age, version (not Enya!).   I love Maura O'Connell and Mary Black for example.  But can't handle, let's say, The Chieftans or Cherish the Ladies.  So I think I like the music that has more "universal appeal" from the Celtic genre. 

They're just words.  Cross and over.   Smile
    Then there's my girl Sarah McLachlan.  For me, she's just an elegant songbird, never even thought about what genre she's from,  if that's what you're driving at.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE] Then there's my girl Sarah McLachlan.  For me, she's just an elegant songbird, never even thought about what genre she's from,  if that's what you're driving at. .
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

yes, perfect example

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I understand the dislike and distaste for a term such as "crossover appeal", but I really couldn't come up with anything better. What I was trying to say of course and , I think you all understand because you people are so smart, is that a group like the Beatles and an artist like Elvis Presley or Bob Dylan couldn't ever be as HUGE as they were just getting sales and popularity from a rock audience. They needed to transcend the traditional rock audience and get people who are not purely rock fans to appreciate them. Much like James Brown sort of was an artist who had a huge black following , yet never really became as big with white audiences although fellow soul artists like the Temptations and the Supremes found huge reward in getting white audiences to listen and love their music.

But it has to be tough today in music to find that formula to transcend your designated "genre" because there are no Ed Sullivan shows , there is no radio ( as it once was) , as one of you said the internet has it all, but you've got to search for it , there is no control knob to tune in to your favorite station , MTV has no music anymore. How do you get heard by the entire world?

Makes me wonder if the Beatles were starting out today, would they be no more than a cult band? If the majority of us hadn't seen them on Ed Sullivan could they have reached as many potential fans? If radio didnt play the Beatles singles and instead played all oldies from the 40's and 50's how would we have heard them?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Good point Zilla, I think those days are gone where a large chunk of the population will simotainously see or hear what is labled that next great thing, (i.e. Beatles).

No pun intended but it crosses over on TV as well. Some of you maybe younger here, but I'm sure those who remmember watching TV in the 70's can agree that everyone saw the same shows, and you would discuss them the next day.

Today way too many options, (cable, On Demand, DVD's) for the vast majority to be watching the same show. Even today you can quote lines from an old sitcom and most people (of a certain age) know what you're talking about. 
    Oh, my nose! I know alot of you got this, in 40 years could that be pulled off? 

Maybe I'm wrong , any thoughts? Without getting too far off topic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

zilla- i totally understand what you mean, and i think there's a good point there about the beatles.   however, if they started out today, i do not think they would be playing the type of music they did back then so it's hard to say...

a really good question that i often think about is whether or not another band would have followed a similarly groundbreaking progression that led to where we are now as the beatles did had mccartney and lennon not met and formed the band.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Good point Zilla, I think those days are gone where a large chunk of the population will simotainously see or hear what is labled that next great thing, (i.e. Beatles). No pun intended but it crosses over on TV as well. Some of you maybe younger here, but I'm sure those who remmember watching TV in the 70's can agree that everyone saw the same shows, and you would discuss them the next day. Today way too many options, (cable, On Demand, DVD's) for the vast majority to be watching the same show. Even today you can quote lines from an old sitcom and most people (of a certain age) know what you're talking about.  Oh, my nose!  I know alot of you got this, in 40 years could that be pulled off?  Maybe I'm wrong , any thoughts? Without getting too far off topic.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

I think the other great thing about those old sitcoms ( and dramas too)was that after they had a decent run on network T.V. they found a new audience in syndication and a whole new group of viewers became fans. When we used to talk about the old sitcom Taxi, we always mimicked Chris Lloyd( Rev. Jim ) and the episode where he goes for his driver's exam..."what does a yellow light mean?"..."SLOW DOWN"...."wh-at---does---a--- Yel---low--- light--- mean?"..."SLOW DOWN!!" and we all knew excatly what the other was talking about. The show had a very large audience and truly was a classic.

This was already starting to change in the '80's with the emergence of cable T.V. and now with the internet, satellite , well it is darn near impossible for network shows to ever reach the large audience percentagewise as in the past. This is why I doubt we'll ever see a musical group or artist that can create (something)mania amongst a wide group in our present day society.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Actually, I do think when all is said and done, Eminem will have that appeal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yes, agreed. he will never top the marshall mathers LP though.