Have you met anyone in music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Have you met anyone in music

since reading how some reacted to meeting Suzana Hoffs I was wondeirng if anyone has met any of thier Rock heros or non heros?  I am not really into star gazing or anything but there are a few I would love to meet. shake hands maybe get a picture with. I met David Bowie when I was real young. I got his autograph. Didn't realy know much about him but was visiting someone at a hotel in Boston and he was there..  But I was able to meet my music idol.. Joe Strummer. It was his last visit here in 2001 and he was playing in Worcester with the Mescallaros. I was with a friend and we were walking downtown about 3 in the afternoon looking for a place to eat and then for a few pops.. We are walking around and who do we see about 50 yards in front of us but Joe Strummer and a female companion. I wasn't going to say anything but my friend just yelled "Joe".. He stopped turned around and came right over to us. We chatted for a few minutes.. Shook his hand and then off he went. A super nice guy who took time to chat wiith us . Didn't have to do that.. So meeting my idol was not a dissapointment. RIP Joe.. Other than that I met Pete Shelly from Buzzcocks and thats is about it I guess.. As I said I would rather hear them play than chat wth them.. But meeting Joe was very cool for me

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Have you met anyone in music

I met Craig Northey of the Canadian band The Odds.  It started when I ordered a solo CD of his from his website.  He sent me back a personal e-mail which I thought was pretty cool and different.  I sent him an e-mail telling him much I loved The Odds etc.  We ended up as sort of electronic pen pals for awhile.  This is where the internet can be pretty cool.  Finally he was playing a gig in Halifax with Colin James and he invited me and my wife to meet him backstage and have a glass of wine.  Very nice guy, and very humble for a musician.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Some years ago,I was set up at an Antique/Collectibles show in Marlboro where they were having celebrities signing autographs for money in one of the  sections. I told my partner and his wife that I was going outside for a smoke (which I have since quit).I was standing outside looking over the area when I felt a tap on my shoulder.I turned around and Ray Manzarek,the keyboardist for the Doors,was standing there.He was one of the people who were there signing autographs for money.He asked me for a cigarette.Of course I fumbled around for a few seconds trying to get one out of my pack for him.We stood there together and talked while we smoked.Ok,so I was probably babbling like a 12 year old schoolgirl.Ray was really cool and it felt like a surreal moment for me because we were the only two out there smoking.He told me about some of his new projects he was working on.  
      After a while,he went back in to do more signings and I went
    back to my booth.A little later a guy affiliated with the event came over to my booth and asked me to follow him,so I did.We went to where the celebrities were signing autographs and he brought me to the front of the line for Ray's auto.So,Ray autographed a photo for me and personalized it which was really nice because I didn't ask him for it..
    A very cool experience. 
     I also met Quincy Jones at a French restaurant/Inn I worked at in Lennox,Ma. near Tanglewood.But that was more of a thing where I said Hi and he said Hello back to me and it ended there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

For lesser known artists, during the CBGB's hey day, I had the opportunity to sit at the bar and have a drink with Cheetah Chrome, Stiv Bator and a few others. I was a huge Dead Boys fan. There was a club in Mt. Vernon NY called the Left Bank where I had the chance to meet Joan Jett (just hello, nice to meet you), Wendy Williams of the Plasmatics (she scared the cr*p out of me) and a few other 2nd tier rockers. Also, my first wife was very good friends with everyone in the Robert Cray Band, so I used to hang out with them whenever they were in NYC.

It was through the Robert Cray Band that I met Keith Richards. It was back stage at the Bitter End and Richard Cousins who used to play bass introduced me. Words could not come out of my mouth until Keith reached into a cooler and pulled a cold beer out for me. What an awesome experience and Keith is absolutely the warmest person you could want to meet.

And again, through Robert Cray, when Strong Persuader hit big and he was opening for Clapton at MSG, my ex and I were invited to the after show party at the 20 w 20 club in Manhattan and met Clapton. He was nice enough, but no Keith. Funny thing that night, this curly headed dude hit on my ex as we were walking upstairs to the balcony area and as I was about to go off on him, my ex grabbed me and gently said that I was not allowed to beat up Peter Frampton. Got to meet Dr. John that night as well.  He was sitting at the piano playing all night. Nice guy.

20 West 20 club is now a Gentlemen's Club. Too funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

hahah je. I think I would be frightened to see Wndy O Williams myself up close.. Be afraid she would hack me up with a chainsaw or something. Saw a show of hers once. Pretty wild

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Glad I could inspire this thread! Alas, I'm the guy who melted into a puddle and couldn't come up with anything resembling an English word when I met Susanna Hoffs 30 years ago.

Though she is far more beautiful, my all-time favorite meeting was Warren Zeven -- if this counts as a meeting. He played at a tiny little place in Virginia Beach called The Peppermint Beach Club, and it was just him. No crew, no nothing. So afterward, as he was collecting his stuff, I went up to him just to say. He was exhausted and clealry didn't want anything to do with a long conversation with a fan, but he was very pleasant. For some reason, I aksked him when he last talked to Bill Lee.

I met Julianna Hatfield after a terrific show of hers in Chicago. My former roommate pretty much owned the city there and got me backstage to meet her, which was pretty neat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Have you met anyone in music:
    [QUOTE]Glad I could inspire this thread! Alas, I'm the guy who melted into a puddle and couldn't come up with anything resembling an English word when I met Susanna Hoffs 30 years ago. Though she is far more beautiful, my all-time favorite meeting was Warren Zeven -- if this counts as a meeting. He played at a tiny little place in Virginia Beach called The Peppermint Beach Club, and it was just him. No crew, no nothing. So afterward, as he was collecting his stuff, I went up to him just to say. He was exhausted and clealry didn't want anything to do with a long conversation with a fan, but he was very pleasant. For some reason, I aksked him when he last talked to Bill Lee. I met Julianna Hatfield after a terrific show of hers in Chicago. My former roommate pretty much owned the city there and got me backstage to meet her, which was pretty neat.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

It is interesting that your reaction to Hoffs is the same as mine was to Keith. Do you think you lost the ability to speak because of meeting a musician you were inspired by or because she is such a hottie? In my youth, I was probably taken by Joan Jett as a male could be by a female, yet when I did meet her, I did see only the musician and nothing else. And that was shocking because there she was in skin tight leather and that perfect face. I am so strange Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I've met one person in my life who qualifies as "famous."

I briefly spoke with Bruins winger Rick Middleton.

I used to know Beverly Schuch , who was a very nice newslady who worked at a Providence T.V. station and later was on CNN. Extremely nice lady
    I was literally 2 ft. away from Jonathan Harris who played Dr. Smith in 'Lost In Space' but I never spoke with him.

As far as music, the closest I ever got to someone famous was Pete Seeger's daughter who I used to know back about 14-16 years ago.

I am really not big into meeting famous people. I really would like to meet some famous people, but I am always afraid I might be disappointed. A friend of mine once met Carlton Fisk and he was very disappointed at how rude the man was to him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This wasn't actually a meeting, but I did get to shake hands with Buck Dharma of BOC after they played in Halifax in 1989.  Anybody who knows my musical tastes knows that was a highlight for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I went to school at Syracuse.  So after Christmas break one year I was suppose to fly back.  But there was a huge snow storm which shut down Logan.  I had tickets for a Grateful dead show (which was rescheduled from sometime in December; it snows a lot in upstate NY) the show was in Utica (the next "big" city down RT 90).  At the time the Grateful Dead was the largest thing in my life and had been since the 9th grade.  Well seeing that there was no way that any flights were getting out I kind of found a bunch of students and we rented a car and drove the 8hr drive back to SU.  The storm was hitting the east worse than the Syracuse area, but we managed to get back to school in one piece.  Seeing that the car was on my credit Card I had the responsibility of getting the rent - a - car back to the dealership, which was at the airport.  As I dropped the car off the clerks were very excited that we were bringing in a large vehicle because a "famous" Group of people were flying in and they need a bunch of large cars for the group.  So as I'm standing at the counter over walks a very short man who looked a lot like Jerry Garcia .... after a few moments I realized it was Jerry Garcia.  I completely was caught off guard and froze... couldn't say a word.... after a few seconds I managed to put my hand out to "shake the hand that shook the hand of PT Barnum and Charlie Chan" The rest of the band meandered their way up to the rental counter, where I managed to compose myself and tried to make small talk with Bob Weir (I'm pretty sure It was very similar to Flounder in Animal House asking the table of guys playing cards, if they were playing cards)  The band had flown into Syracuse and because Utica airport was closed they had to rent a fleet to get to the show.  I did end up going to the show and had a great time.... Interesting side note, the band was in a huge fight and after the show they canned the  Godchaux's.  I always wondered if the fact that I left no gas in the car had anything to do with it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Lots, because I own a record label.  Generally they've fallen into 2 categories:  really pleasant and fun, or complete idiots.  And it's usually been the less-well known and successful that are arrogant idiots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you met anyone in music : It is interesting that your reaction to Hoffs is the same as mine was to Keith. Do you think you lost the ability to speak because of meeting a musician you were inspired by or because she is such a hottie? In my youth, I was probably taken by Joan Jett as a male could be by a female, yet when I did meet her, I did see only the musician and nothing else. And that was shocking because there she was in skin tight leather and that perfect face. I am so strange
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    In all honesty, it was because I was meeting an absolutely stunning looking woman. Which is not to say I didn't recognize her marvelous talent. It's just, well, I was 20 years old at the time. And, chances are, drunk.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you met anyone in music : In all honesty, it was because I was meeting an absolutely stunning looking woman. Which is not to say I didn't recognize her marvelous talent. It's just, well, I was 20 years old at the time. And, chances are, drunk.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I recently met and talked to Butch Patrick who played Eddie Munster on the old TV show: "The Munsters".  In the past he had two music recordings.  The one I can think of was:  "Whatever happened to Eddie".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I recently met and talked to Butch Patrick who played Eddie Munster on the old TV show: " The Munsters ".  In the past he had two music recordings.  The one I can think of was:  " Whatever happened to Eddie ".
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]
    Did you ask him if he ever got to pet Spot?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]I went to school at Syracuse.  So after Christmas break one year I was suppose to fly back.  But there was a huge snow storm which shut down Logan.  I had tickets for a Grateful dead show (which was rescheduled from sometime in December; it snows a lot in upstate NY) the show was in Utica (the next "big" city down RT 90).  At the time the Grateful Dead was the largest thing in my life and had been since the 9th grade.  Well seeing that there was no way that any flights were getting out I kind of found a bunch of students and we rented a car and drove the 8hr drive back to SU.  The storm was hitting the east worse than the Syracuse area, but we managed to get back to school in one piece.  Seeing that the car was on my credit Card I had the responsibility of getting the rent - a - car back to the dealership, which was at the airport.  As I dropped the car off the clerks were very excited that we were bringing in a large vehicle because a "famous" Group of people were flying in and they need a bunch of large cars for the group.  So as I'm standing at the counter over walks a very short man who looked a lot like Jerry Garcia .... after a few moments I realized it was Jerry Garcia.  I completely was caught off guard and froze... couldn't say a word.... after a few seconds I managed to put my hand out to "shake the hand that shook the hand of PT Barnum and Charlie Chan" The rest of the band meandered their way up to the rental counter, where I managed to compose myself and tried to make small talk with Bob Weir (I'm pretty sure It was very similar to Flounder in Animal House asking the table of guys playing cards, if they were playing cards)  The band had flown into Syracuse and because Utica airport was closed they had to rent a fleet to get to the show.  I did end up going to the show and had a great time.... Interesting side note, the band was in a huge fight and after the show they canned the  Godchaux's.  I always wondered if the fact that I left no gas in the car had anything to do with it.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

So, this would have been Feb 1979, then. 

I don't think Mydland came on board until early 1979.  Liked Mydland, but Keith was by far my favorite keyboardist they had. Always knew when to play, when not to and his use of the Fender Rhodes, Hammond B3 or piano really was tasteful.  Keith would be killed in the car accident a year later and the curse of the Dead keyboard players would continue.

The Allmans had the curse of string instrument players and the Dead, the keyboard guy.

Great story, though.  I think it's funny you thought he looked like Garcia, but it didn't click right away.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Met the band Squeeze with Paul Carrack  back stage after their concert in Boston they are a great bunch of guys...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you met anyone in music : When you talked to Butch Patrick, did you talk about 'The Munsters'?
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]
    LloydDobler and Bellhorn, I told Butch Patrick that my wife and I have said during our lifetime we would like to meet 50's-60's TV celebrities like B. Patrick (Eddie Munster), also the actor who portrayed Eddie Haskell (Leave It To Beaver) and Paul Peterson from The Donna Reed Show.  He said thanks for putting him in with such good company. He also said 'that he is good friends with both and they get together from time to time'. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Nice stories, and fun to read.  :)

Mine are really "drive-by" meetings, moreso than up close and personal, but here are a few:

Saw Pete Townshend (no longer in his prime) the one and only time I was in Italy (to be clear -- this is not my life style by any measure).   He was signing autographs casually, with a crowd around him -- still very recognizable.   I took his pic, of course.   

Saw Paul Simon in a museum.  Gave him a knowing look, but no one in their right mind (or me) would have made more of a gesture.  

Al Cooper -- saw him walking through Macy's at the Burlington Mall -- I ran after him and got his autograph.  He was very happy to oblige.  He is not cute (heh heh) but it was amazing to run into him. 

Mark Sandman  --- after a show, late nineties.  
    Aimee Mann -- after a show.  Very quickly. 
    And Elizabeth Hurley -- does she count?   :P

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Actually quite a few, but I actually worked with Al Kooper for a year at Berklee.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    Ah yes, Al Kooper, the first lead singer of Blood Sweat and Tears.  I assume we're talking about the same person?  So what was working with Al Kooper like?

Sections
Shortcuts