Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards

Feel free to disagree with the subject header, if you see fit; Richards might be an elite guitarist in your estimation.  

I saw an entertaining little interview with Keith Richards recently, and all he had to do was sit in that chair, answer a few light-hearted questions, and despite his astonishingly worn and wasted face (he was wearing the requisite shades, of course), he is one cool dude.  Clever, witty, smart, and very soft-spoken.  

What do you think of Keith as:

A songwriter (Jagger/Richards) -- overall?  Is he given the credit he is due (he's had a long career) 

Singer -- never heard of him rated as a great singer, so he doesn't have much to live up to.  

Guitarist -- original or a recycler who gets the job done?  He's never been mentioned as one of the elites.   

Personality / Stage persona -- Image over-rated?  Or spot on?  

Do you like him?  Any particular era when you thought of him at his best?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards

I've come to appreciate Keith more over the years.  His book was as enlightening as it was kind of self-serving...as such it's a little hard to cleave the boasting from the toasting (so to speak).

One thing for sure: his legendary constitution is freakish.  He should be dead a few times over by my count.

His biggest influence was Chuck Berry, of course, and informed his playing a great deal.  But what makes him great, IMO, is also knowing when NOT to play...when to take a creative pause and let the rhythm and vocals drive the song or let another guitarist lead.

I consider, also, that he worked with some of the best vocal pipes ever in Mick Jagger, a killer rhythm section, and assorted other standouts (Taylor, Hopkins, Stewart, etc.)  Charlie Watts is so good, his drums are like a lead instrument.  With that group and the type of music, a technician would be pointless.

To me, he's a great example of a guitar stylist, contented that less is more but also devoted to his roots and with the mileage to back it up.  If a riff works, he'll stick with it.  As he might say, it's not bl**dy rocket science, it's rock n' roll.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards

The Rolling Stones are truly a group where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts.

But, on reflection, this may be the main reason why they were able to stay "relevant" when many other bands became "footnotes" ....Laughing...sorry yoga, couldn't resist!

Does Jagger have the greatest voice?
    Is Keith a great guitarist?
    Bill Wyman , great bass player?
    Charlie, not considered a great drummer? ( in the sense of flamboyancy).
    Ron Wood, Mick Taylor, Brian Jones ...excellent lead guitar , but not in the Hendrix/ Clapton/ Beck/ Page/Blackmore /Trower class.

As a group they all seem to mesh together and understand their role. Jagger was the frontman, Charlie and Bill kept the rhythm, Keith and whoever provided the chords. There was very little Blackmore-style guitar solo, no Ginger Baker 20 minute long drum solo, no Ian Anderson flute solo. This was just a band that played great songs and kept churning them out longer than just about anyone else.

You will probably never hear of Keith Richards in someone's 20 best list ( not that I love lists , mind you)...but ask for the best 20 Rock Musicians of all time...and you might find him near the top of many lists. He'd be on mine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards:
    [QUOTE]To crystallize Matty's post: Rather like a Hemmingway of guitar. (I should also add that like Matty, I started paying a lot closer attention to his guitarwork after reading his autobiography. So much lies in the notes he leaves going and the notes he chooses not to play. It's not complex, but it is elegant and forceful).
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Well put.  Like Richards, Hemingway never used a three-syllable word when a single syllable would work just fine.  That didn't make him any less of a writer or storyteller, just a succinct one.

Take a song like "Tumbling Dice", a mellow, chugging rhythm with those little Berry-isms stuck in between Mick's lyrics and the backup singers' "OOooos", along with Ian Stewart's piano boogie.  It's understated, yet still has swagger...almost like a reggae song...it rolls, but doesn't really rock.  Textbook swing from Charlie.  And sounds much easier than it is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I've always liked Keith Richards. It always seemed like he could play Chuck Berry almost better than the man himself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards:
    [QUOTE]The Rolling Stones are truly a group where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. But, on reflection, this may be the main reason why they were able to stay "relevant" when many other bands became "footnotes" .... ...sorry yoga, couldn't resist! Does Jagger have the greatest voice? Is Keith a great guitarist? Bill Wyman , great bass player? Charlie, not considered a great drummer? ( in the sense of flamboyancy). Ron Wood, Mick Taylor, Brian Jones ...excellent lead guitar , but not in the Hendrix/ Clapton/ Beck/ Page/Blackmore /Trower class. As a group they all seem to mesh together and understand their role. Jagger was the frontman, Charlie and Bill kept the rhythm, Keith and whoever provided the chords. There was very little Blackmore-style guitar solo, no Ginger Baker 20 minute long drum solo, no Ian Anderson flute solo. This was just a band that played great songs and kept churning them out longer than just about anyone else. You will probably never hear of Keith Richards in someone's 20 best list ( not that I love lists , mind you)...but ask for the best 20 Rock Musicians of all time...and you might find him near the top of many lists. He'd be on mine.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it any better ZILLA - I agree 100%

"the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts"

Take a look at most "solo" efforts....Most fail by comparison to the bands sales (Mick?) it's about the band not the individuals that perpetuate their "legacy" in music - IMHO

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Oh my.  Where to begin?  Yogagal certainly doesn't hold back in her boredom, looking to stir the pot. lol This is like saying Page isn't a good  lead player, which I agree with, but I will take Keith over Page any day of the week as a songwriter and lead player based on feel alone, v.s. coming off slightly rehearsed.   But, neither are overrated in any way whatsoever. "Don't Think. Feel." - Keith Richards Nuff said.
    Posted by CliffordWasHere[/QUOTE]

Can't help but have a good laugh -- not bored, not at all, but certainly made my post deliberately blase --  heh, so you got my number one way or another.   Been told I stir the pot quite often, too.   Then again, it takes one to know one, doesn't it?  ;)

But, hey, is this a great set of comments or what?  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heart and soul of the Rolling Stones, but not an elite guitarist: Keith Richards : I couldn't have said it any better ZILLA - I agree 100% "the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts" Take a look at most "solo" efforts....Most fail by comparison to the bands sales (Mick?) it's about the band not the individuals that perpetuate their "legacy" in music - IMHO
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

This is not the only band of which this is true.

I always felt the Doors needed all 4 members to succeed. While each has his own talent, none could have made it as a solo act.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Is he Jeff Beck - no. But he is, like many here have stated a genius in what he doesn't do with his guitar. he phrases his playing, not feeling the need to fill every void in a song.

I have had the pleasure of sharing drinking and talking to the man and he always remains a RnR idol to me.

Sections
Shortcuts