How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

Here's another subject that is bound to get varied opinions.

5 greatest bands that people ( yes, us too!), don't mention often enough.

I think considering their longevity in the business, and the creativity of the music they made put Jethro Tull near the top of this list.

I love Jethro Tull and am amazed at how many discussions don't include them.

Among groups  ( or artists) that get slighted when people talk about the best are these :

Traffic

Robin Trower

Judas Priest

Ten Years After ( and solo albums by Alvin Lee ....who is a big time favorite of mine).

and , of course Jethro Tull.

Now, I am not suggesting that any of these groups belongs in HF's "Greatest bands", but just that they should be considered as prolific bands that produced years of quality music....without getting as much attention as some of the bigger names. They all had success, just that they were somewhat overshadowed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

Cool topic. At least we won't have to debate much here.

Two bands I mention at times but don't seem to get much recognition are The Move and The Easybeats.

The Move was kind of a precursor to ELO which became very popular. Jeff Lynne got his start in The Move but I think it was Roy Wood who really added a touch of the bizarre to that band with titles like "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" and "Disturbance".

The Easybeats were a great Australian pop rock band who are best known for the song "Friday On My Mind." Band members Harry Vanda and George Young went on to produce AC/DC's first six albums which featured George's younger brothers Angus and Malcolm.

That's all I've got now. Have to think of 3 more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

They're not on my fave list, but:

How about AC/DC...?

Scourge of critics, but almost universally beloved by hard rock fans of all stripes.  You can't go to any real bar (not a club) in America without hearing AC/DC at least once or twice.  True, they're not subtle or especially groundbreaking, but they are everywhere.  They even have toddler t-shirts, and that should count for something. lol

Otherwise, I'll nominate, iao:

Creedence

The Replacements

J. Geils Band

Talking Heads

Velvets

Zappa

Newer:

Wilco

Gomez

MMJ

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Already mentioned picks that I would strongly agree with: Jethro Tull, Robin Trower, Creedence.

Others I would add: Kinks, Mott the Hoople, King Crimson, Blue Oyster Cult, 10CC.  The last two are 'deep personal favorites' so I can't not mention them.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think my five at one time got their due respect, but as time has passed, I think/fear their talents and accomplishments are getting lost to history.

The Moody Blues

The Kinks

Jethro Tull

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Deep Purple

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not sure they are the "greatest" but these are great bands that come to mind, in no particular order:

Roxy Music

The Pretenders

The Magnetic Fields

Garbage

Scritti Politti

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Kinks

Frank Zappa and the Mothers

Steeley Dan

The Yardbirds

The Rascals

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Don't do drugs, kids.

These are the BLACK Crowes you're talking about, right...?  lol

Good call, though.  I've seen the Crowes live more than any other band (including Horde '95 ...the day afer JG died and the first show with my wife).  They took the best of the Stones, Faces and Allmans into the next century.

They might indeed be the most accomplished band of the 90s on, and definitely one of the best live acts...

NOTE: They're touring again starting this spring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yeah, I'm  bit slow, but here is one more.

NRBQ - A very low-key band with an off-beat sense of humour. Gotta love a band that sings an ode to "Captain" Lou Albano and sings the praises of an RC Cola and a Moon Pie. Their album At Yankee Stadium is a great example of their kind music and their sense of humor (it is not a live album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFsPnr-FjA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Good call on the Kinks. Many other good choices, too.

I was thinking after I posted this, that I should mention the Kinks. They always seem to get thrown to the back of the bus, behind the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, among a few others.

You folks mention a lot of my favorites, Talking Heads, CCR, Steely Dan, Yardbirds, Moody Blues, BOC....which proves how smart you guys are.

Here's a few longstanding artists that don't get as much mention as many of the big names. Check out their discogs if you think maybe I'm kinding:

Uriah Heep

Nazareth

Stan Ridgway

Morrissey

Iggy Pop

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Anything with the Finn Brothers in them.  (Crowded House, Split Enz, and of course The Finn Brothers)

Also, I just got an album by Driveblind which is SO AWESOME, but they got such carpy non-support from their label that they broke up shortly after the first album and tour.  (Which is almost another topic!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

While admitting that I'm not entirely certain what either "great" or "recogintion" mean as regards this thread . . .   it's always amazed me that the ultimately insipid Bruce Springstead went on to untold fame and fortune while Southside Johnny Lyons -- and not really him, but the style of music the Jukes tried to give us -- simply disappeared.

Again, I guess it's a matter of taste and not really anything to do with "greatness" (whatever that is), but it's funny . . .    you know?

Warren Zevon had all the help in the world and managed only a modicum of fame (until, of course, he manages to die slowly . . .  then everybody loved him), while Steve Krikorkian struggled in obscurity.

Weird.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

While admitting that I'm not entirely certain what either "great" or "recogintion" mean as regards this thread . . .   it's always amazed me that the ultimately insipid Bruce Springstead went on to untold fame and fortune while Southside Johnny Lyons -- and not really him, but the style of music the Jukes tried to give us -- simply disappeared.

Again, I guess it's a matter of taste and not really anything to do with "greatness" (whatever that is), but it's funny . . .    you know?

Warren Zevon had all the help in the world and managed only a modicum of fame (until, of course, he manages to die slowly . . .  then everybody loved him), while Steve Krikorkian struggled in obscurity.

Weird.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes is a nice choice. I think it is pretty obvious why Springsteen surpassed them in fame and glory. Springsteen's songrwiting aspired to rock artistry, while Southside Johnny was more modest in his songwriting aspirations. They come from the same roots, but their music is not really the same.

I saw Graham Parker in a small dive during his "Greatest Hits Tour" and his backing band was billed as La Bamba and the Hubcaps. I think he worked with them becasue of their great horn section as horns were featured more in Graham's early career. Later on I learned that this band was more or less the Jukes. They did a great job. I think the Jukes are more horn oriented, soul R&B band than the E Street Band.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I always thought of Southside Johnny & the Jukes as a great garage band.  Great at what they do, but perhaps not distinctive enough in terms of songs released to get a foothold on the radio.

Which makes me think of a thought that occurs to me when I watch a show like The Voice, where the contestants generally have voices as good as those of successful artists, but what they are missing is the unique sound and/or distinctive songwriting.  You need that to get heard and then you need do churn out interesting music consistently to stay on people's radar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

How about Mountain with Leslie West? Great guitar player.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

My fourth choice is Funkadelic. I really like their combination of soul, R&B and Hendrix influenced guitar playing by the often overlooked guitar great, Eddie Hazel. Here is one of their songs that asks a pertinent music question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2nqZCSnN1U

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm adding some new(er) blood that should really get more attention...convinced many would appeal to the board regulars if given the chance:

Guster

Built To Spill

Buffalo Tom

Wolf Parade

Spoon

Cold War Kids

Sam Roberts Band

Superchunk

Deer Tick

Mother Hips

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Feelies

X

The Jam

Midnight Oil

The Kinks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I think my five at one time got their due respect, but as time has passed, I think/fear their talents and accomplishments are getting lost to history.

The Moody Blues

@Roy. I could not agree more on the Moody Blues, my five:

Emerson Lake and Palmer

The Marshall Tucker Band

Yes

Alice in Chains

Squeeze

Bonus: Joe Jackson

Also @Leafs- good call on Midnight Oil

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

From the 60's-70's soul era, I have to go with the Intruders.  You know: Cowboys to Girls,  we got A Love Thats Real and other hits. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts