How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

Already mentioned were several bands that I certainly feel deserves more recognition.My 6 would be,in no paticular order:

Steve Miller

NRBQ (Good call DD)

Robin Trower (Agree with Zilla here)

Johnny Winter

Santana

Alice Cooper

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: How about the 5 greatest bands that don't get as much, or enough recognition?

In response to cavaliersfan's comment:

From the 60's-70's soul era, I have to go with the Intruders.  You know: Cowboys to Girls,  we got A Love Thats Real and other hits. 

Nice to see some love for a 60's-70's soul group. I absolutely love the soul music of that time. It was the sweet spot in time for great soul music that we will never see the like of again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Soundgarden

The Cars

Marilyn Manson

Iron Maiden

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Cheap Trick

Foreigner

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Three Dog Night
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Chicago
    Dire Straits
    R.E.M.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Three Dog Night
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Chicago
    Dire Straits
    R.E.M.

Good call on Dire Straits.

Their Money for Nothing song seems to overshadow all the other stuff, which was greater, that they did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Minutemen (by a mile)

X

Husker Du

Fleshtones

Sonics

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I can't understand how multi-million selling bands can be considered to be under-recognised!  I think many of the bands listed got far too much recognition at the expense of better, less-supported, or unluckier bands.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I can't understand how multi-million selling bands can be considered to be under-recognised!  I think many of the bands listed got far too much recognition at the expense of better, less-supported, or unluckier bands.

Well, since you said so, I am emboldened to agree. I'm not sure how successful my choices were as far as sales figures, but I tried to pick some that don't seem to have the notoriety of other bands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Because when the thread is "who is underrated", we're bound to be giving more subjective and less criteria-bound impressions.

How can I really separate the degree I like I band from my feeling that other people should like them more?

Not a bad thing...just....one of those threads

It's different than asking, say, who is most influential. Well there you can tease out the sound along a chain of bands, and more often, musicians up and tell you who influenced them.

I sort of see your view, but then you'd have to accept it if someone said the Beatles don't get enough recognition because they thought the band should have sold 500m records rather than 250m records (or whatever the numbers are).  And that would seem silly to me. I'm not picking on anyone or any band, but REM?  They were one of the most famous, biggest selling bands for many years.

X probably sold about 100,000 records.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Because when the thread is "who is underrated", we're bound to be giving more subjective and less criteria-bound impressions.

How can I really separate the degree I like I band from my feeling that other people should like them more?

Not a bad thing...just....one of those threads

It's different than asking, say, who is most influential. Well there you can tease out the sound along a chain of bands, and more often, musicians up and tell you who influenced them.

I sort of see your view, but then you'd have to accept it if someone said the Beatles don't get enough recognition because they thought the band should have sold 500m records rather than 250m records (or whatever the numbers are).  And that would seem silly to me. I'm not picking on anyone or any band, but REM?  They were one of the most famous, biggest selling bands for many years.

Just to let you know I'm not just a contrarian, I agree with your take here. I think some of the bands chosen are really "ringers" that had plenty of notoriety, sales or no no sales. Jethro Tull even won a Grammy one year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Just to let you know I'm not just a contrarian, I agree with your take here. I think some of the bands chosen are really "ringers" that had plenty of notoriety, sales or no no sales. Jethro Tull even won a Grammy one year. 

Don't worry, no offense taken and I hope none given.  We seem to agree on some things, and not on others.  That's perfect!

I'm not criticising any of these bands or the posters for their choices or their interpretation of the OP.  But my head, heart and ears is with indie bands - again, proper indie bands not major label "Indie" bands.  If a band gets a major label deal, lots of promotion, exposure, and sells millions of records....I reckon they had a pretty damn good chance, expoited it pretty well, and cannot see them as not having had recognition.