How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth?

Is this a valid continuation of the hard rock / metal discussion?   

How would you class these bands in the overall assemblage of hard rock bands of their era?    Do they boast the same musical credentials as other bands?   Is Nazareth up there with DP?   

How rare a talent was Phil Lynott?   Must have been rare to see a multi-racial band back in their day.   Thin Lizzy must be much more than, "The Boys are Back in Town" or "Whiskey in a Jar" , but long live those hits in terms of classic rock.   

And please, when I say "rank" them, this is just meant anecdotally.   Where / how do they fit?   And if you had to make a choice, do you prefer the music / albums of one over the other, if in fact, you're a fan of either.   How is this music aging?  

Any thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth?

Musically I would rate Thin Lizzy quite a bit higher than Nazareth.  Thin Lizzy's material was diverse and usually interesting.  Some of it bordered on the brilliant.  They had changes in the lineup over the years but they always had very serious lead guitarists, including Gary Moore and John Sykes.  My favorite albums by them are 'Black Rose' which featured Moore, and 'Thunder and Lightning' which featured Sykes and was probably their heaviest album.  Lynott had one of the great rock voices in my opinion. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I happen to be very biased in my opinion of these two groups and I have owned the entire Thin Lizzy and Nazareth catalogues (up to 1998's 'Boogaloo')for over ten years. These are two bands that generally do not entice most people to buy their entire catalogues, but I am the Aytollah of Rock'N Rolla, so of course I have complete catalogues of groups that many casual listeners do not even know about , examples: Riot,Oingo Boingo, New England and Triumph. 

Now, I know most of you do not care about that, but, I think it's important that you understand that I am not your "average" Rock fan.

Thin Lizzy was a fantastic band. They merged Blues (often they employed exceptional Blues guitarist Gary Moore to augment the group), Metal and Hard Rock into a sound that was made even more unique by the singing of Phil Lynott. The twin lead guitar sound can be traced back to Thin Lizzy and the Prog sounding group, Wishbome Ash. Later the Scorpions and Judas Priest would use the twin lead guitars. Some of their best known songs are from the 'Jailbreak' LP , but they made so many great songs, 'Whiskey In The Jar' is among my favorite Rock songs of that era...and this is one of my favorite eras.

Nazareth is known mainly for two songs, 'Love Hurts' and 'Hair Of The Dog' , the latter was covered by a number of groups but no one can match Dan McCafferey's raspy growl and Naz' live LP 'Snaz contains an awesome version with a great solo by Manny Charlton complete with talk box. Nazareth has so many great albums , but seldom cracked the FM playlists of many stations ( except for the two songs mentioned) , 'Malice In Wonderland' , 'Expect No Mercy' and 'No Mean City' are among the best.

Where would I rank them is a tough one. Surely not in the top 10 bands of all time, not because they aren't great, but because there are just so many great ones.

I think I can say , without any doubts, that I would certainly rank them higher than most people not related to or associated with the band members. How is that for an ambigious answer? I could run for president with answers like this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thin Lizzy was and is a far more influential band. Nazareth's "Love Hurts" is one of the most beautiful songs in the RnR catalogue of great songs.

I think Thin Lizzy should be considered for the RnR HoF; Nazareth, not so much.
    Guns and Roses version of Hair of the Dog is outstanding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thin Lizzy seems to make the grade around here.  Zilla owns the complete catalogues (through '98) of both bands -- I wrote the shell of this thread, he filled it in.   Not much more to add from the looks of it.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth?:
    [QUOTE]Thin Lizzy seems to make the grade around here.  Zilla owns the complete catalogues (through '98) of both bands -- I wrote the shell of this thread, he filled it in.   Not much more to add from the looks of it.   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I hope I didn't steal your thunder. These are bands I really enjoy....just like your threads. I sometimes can't hold back , as there is very little in life I enjoy talking about more than Rock music ( maybe science fiction)....this is why I spend so much quality time with this group.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth? : I hope I didn't steal your thunder. These are bands I really enjoy....just like your threads. I sometimes can't hold back , as there is very little in life I enjoy talking about more than Rock music ( maybe science fiction)....this is why I spend so much quality time with this group.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Oh, heck no, are you kidding?  No worries at all.  Your input was fab.  :)   I had no idea (and never do) what to expect, and that's half the fun.  I'm happy when I pick a band that results in interesting and full-bodied feedback.    

I probably should have said your input was very comprehensive and a nice surprise.   I like the hits that I know of Thin Lizzy (and I love the band name to boot), and the rest of the feedback was very consistent from you and the rest of the group.   You don't hold back, isn't that a given?  :D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Speaking of Riot, Swords and Tequilla

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Nazareth is defintely the band I prefer of the two.Although Thin Lizzy is a damn fine band,Nazareth is my sentimental favorite.My first concert I ever went to(tickets were $5.50) was Nazareth,Deep Purple and The James Montgomery Blues band in the Springfield (Mass) Civic Center.
    So my opinion is pretty biased.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Nazareth is defintely the band I prefer of the two.Although Thin Lizzy is a damn fine band,Nazareth is my sentimental favorite.My first concert I ever went to(tickets were $5.50) was Nazareth,Deep Purple and The James Montgomery Blues band in the Springfield (Mass) Civic Center. So my opinion is pretty biased.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Biased or not, sounds very memorable, and an honest testimonial.

Talk about affordable, too.   You can't even park your car (by a long shot) for that kind if money now.   :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Unfortunately Nazareth was one of the worst live shows I've ever seen.  It wasn't all their fault though.  It was one of the first shows in the Halifax Metro Centre and the acoustics were godawful.  The sound was so bad it was funny, really.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth? : Nazareth did some good stuff, but up there with DP?  No. Thin Lizzy too, but a few two many double guitars a 6th apart, and they own perhaps the worst line in all of Rock: "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town" My guess is it will be "somewhere", near the jail.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I love that line.

Funny & true story about "The Boys are Back in Town".

My friends and I actually used to hang out at a small bar and grill called Dino's back in the 70's in the Bronx. We were all around 16 and had fake ID's, but it was owned by one of the neighborhood associates, so we never had issues and the police never came in, and once a month our band played a couple of sets on a friday night. They had a room in the back with a pool and poker table. Strangers never walked in.

The drummer of our band was named Johnny who used to get slapped often by girlfriends, but more often, ex-gf's. So when the song came out, it was like it was written for us. It was great and we were completely stupid with that tune.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth? : Nazareth did some good stuff, but up there with DP?  No. Thin Lizzy too, but a few two many double guitars a 6th apart, and they own perhaps the worst line in all of Rock: "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town" My guess is it will be "somewhere", near the jail.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

That's very funny, Greg.

I never really put that much thought to it. But, yes a jailbreak would have to happen near a jail....wouldn't it?

This gives me an idea for a new and crazy thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth? : I love that line. Funny & true story about "The Boys are Back in Town". My friends and I actually used to hang out at a small bar and grill called Dino's back in the 70's in the Bronx. We were all around 16 and had fake ID's, but it was owned by one of the neighborhood associates, so we never had issues and the police never came in, and once a month our band played a couple of sets on a friday night. They had a room in the back with a pool and poker table. Strangers never walked in. The drummer of our band was named Johnny who used to get slapped often by girlfriends, but more often, ex-gf's. So when the song came out, it was like it was written for us. It was great and we were completely stupid with that tune.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Glad you weren't the one getting slapped.  :P

Cute story, JE.   Your life of crime was more exciting than mine.  

Greg -- >>  Yeah, no brainer.  :P

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth? : I love that line. Funny & true story about "The Boys are Back in Town". My friends and I actually used to hang out at a small bar and grill called Dino's back in the 70's in the Bronx. We were all around 16 and had fake ID's, but it was owned by one of the neighborhood associates, so we never had issues and the police never came in, and once a month our band played a couple of sets on a friday night. They had a room in the back with a pool and poker table. Strangers never walked in. The drummer of our band was named Johnny who used to get slapped often by girlfriends, but more often, ex-gf's. So when the song came out, it was like it was written for us. It was great and we were completely stupid with that tune.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I wonder if some of the devotees from the Red Sox forum would slap you if given the chance. I'm thinking of a couple in particular, one is no longer around and used to start anti-Yankee threads daily....you know who I mean.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would you rank Thin Lizzy and Nazareth? : I wonder if some of the devotees from the Red Sox forum would slap you if given the chance. I'm thinking of a couple in particular, one is no longer around and used to start anti-Yankee threads daily....you know who I mean.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I always relish the thought of someone trying to slap me.

Sections
Shortcuts