I-POD Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I-POD Question

My son went off to college and left his I-pod at home.  He came home for Christmas and left it at home again when he went back.  I called him and asked what was up, he informed me that his computer and phone is all he needs for his music.  Fine, so my question is can I clean out his I-pod and put new stuff on it (that I like) and if I can what do I have to do with I-tunes to have it differentiate between the two separate I-Pods, if possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: I-POD Question

At Christmas, my niece was here with her i-pod, and I, in my ignorance, suggested that she just hook it up to our computer and download whatever 10 songs she wanted (being the good aunt I am!).  She thanked me but said it would be impossible to trick i-tunes into that. 

Now, I obviously don't know the first thing about it, but she seemed to be knowledgeable.  I hope she was wrong, and I'm also interested in the definitive answer!

GL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No clue - the I-Pod for me was a huge waste of money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to I-POD Question:
    [QUOTE] My son went off to college and left his I-pod at home.  He came home for Christmas and left it at home again when he went back.  I called him and asked what was up, he informed me that his computer and phone is all he needs for his music.  Fine, so my question is can I clean out his I-pod and put new stuff on it (that I like) and if I can what do I have to do with I-tunes to have it differentiate between the two separate I-Pods, if possible.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Actually pretty simple.  First, take all of the selections currently in your son's iTunes library and copy them into a playlist (named after your son, say).  Then, put the music you want into the iTunes library, thus creating one combined library.  Third, copy the music you just added (easiest to copy out of the "Recently Added" bucket) into a separate playlist (named jkj or something like that).  Finally, re-sync the iPod to include both new playlists.  Then when you use the iPod you will choose from within your playlist, and when your son uses it he will choose from within his playlist.  You could also each have sub-playlists but that's an optional added layer of effort.

The only potential complication is the iPod's capacity.  If that's an issue, just re-sync with your playlist for now.  Then if your son wants to use the iPod at some point in the future, he can re-sync with his playlist.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Re: I-POD Question:
    [QUOTE]At Christmas, my niece was here with her i-pod, and I, in my ignorance, suggested that she just hook it up to our computer and download whatever 10 songs she wanted (being the good aunt I am!).  She thanked me but said it would be impossible to trick i-tunes into that.  Now, I obviously don't know the first thing about it, but she seemed to be knowledgeable.  I hope she was wrong, and I'm also interested in the definitive answer! GL!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Probably not a definitive answer, but I've found three things: you can put a song from iTunes on your iPod, and you can put a song from a CD on your iPod...but you can't put an MP3 from the web on your iPod...even if it is one you purchased (through Amazon.com, for example).  Also, any tunes you have on your iPod cannot be pulled from your iPod and used in an MP3 file.  I found this out when I was looking for songs to put on my website: I thought, hey, I've gota lot of neat tunes I bought at iTunes, I'll just use those...but the file extension on iPod is not .mp3...and basically, the songs only work with an iPod. 
    When I was making our "Another one bites the Dust" video I purchased the song as an mp3 from Amazon.com but YouTube muted the sound.  Yet when I made the "Tik Tok" video (just want the world to know I'm not a Kesha fan - it was a funny thing, not a fan thing) I pulled the song from my daughter's friend's CD and YouTube uploaded it just fine. 

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that mp3s that are downloaded from the web - even ones you legally purchase - have some kind of coding in them that songs from CDs don't have. Sites like YouTube and things like an iPod are set up to detect that coding.  While YouTube doesn't seem to have a problem with every web mp3, it seems with iPod only songs you download from iTunes (and upload from CDs) will work. 

Probably not much of an answer, but it's what I've guessed.  If anyone knows any different, feel free to correct me. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had her try it from i-tunes so I'm not sure what went wrong...

I've never used the Sync feature so I'll have to work through gerb's answer and see what I can figure out.