I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

Sorry, but I don't buy the 80s-bashing in the least.

Every decade had its fair share of flat-out drek, and it's not the fault of the 80s that their successes and failures were more widely broadcast, and/or their fates were inextricably linked to that of the remarkable, game-changing cultural phenomenon called MTV.

If looking solely at the pop charts, then one's focus is narrow to a fault.  Likewise, if looking at the business of music, then that too is only one side of the story.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Disagree. There is clear change in approach in the mid/late 1970s with the industry and how artists and bands could be used to sell. MTV aired in August 1981. This further fueled the opportunity for junk and watered down new wave on the heels of the end of disco (good riddance) and punk.

Couple that with the 60s artists out of their element, losing their edge, etc, and it was the most pathetic decade by a long shot.  Everything was centered around how a label could sell an band or artist, especially using MTV. As mentioned, with deregulation of radio in the late 1980s and the industry in general in 1996, this manipulation and watering down of music in general clearly hurt the general public's access to quality music.

I would put the 00s in 2nd place with an awful transformation of a late 90s pop music movement that featuted bands like Blink 182, etc, and about a dozen others, alongside a metal/punk type contingent that spawned a bunch of garbage as well.

Add in the pop country junk that Shania Twain helped build and that counts too. No offense, but come on. At some point, crap is crap.

Last decade and now, is very much a decade where the best music was never on the radio, and needed to be "found" more than ever (god bless the internet), with the dissolution of record labels and its financial backing.

Some of the best music, both older and new was found on the internet, trading live music (as always) and in clubs (not in arenas and sadly theaters anymore) for $15-$25 dollars a show.

Also, a lot of independent festivals have cropped up in the last 15 years which as helped.

But, the 1960s and early/mid 70s clearly had more going than the 1980s.  That's not even close, in my book.

I enjoy some random '80s listening for fun, but don't take it seriously unless we're talking REM, U2, Petty, The Replacements, maybe The Cult, Billy Joel, etc. Beasties were a cool mish mash of rock/rap/funk, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Again, I think you're focusing too intently upon the change of the business of music in the 80s - which naturally included the way it was conceived, packaged and delivered.  On these points I agree, but they're only tangential to the quality of the music itself.

And rather than the exceptions to the rules, the best bands of the 80s turned out to be highly influential, very original, and functioned very well in opposition to the bubblegum gracing the top of the charts. 

It's not as though the corporate world suddenly woke up in the 80s to the pop marketing machine.  Whenever there has been a popular musical artist or style, there's been a business shark to exploit it.  But this was because of the consolidation of various entertainment companies through de-regulation, not because the music made it so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were:
    [QUOTE] I enjoy some random '80s listening for fun, but don't take it seriously unless we're talking REM, U2, Petty, The Replacements, maybe The Cult, Billy Joel, etc. Beasties were a cool mish mash of rock/rap/funk, etc.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

In a decade so full of "crap" and "garbage", you have just quickly found 7 reasons why it wasn't such a "throw away" decade.

I am not going to spend much more time on this, but this is strictly your opinion. I was born more than 2 decades before you, I lived through the entire decade of the 60's. Yes, the music was generally good. But remember, 40-50 years later you are hearing the "best" of the decade. What survives and what lasts is the best of anything. The sh*tty movies fade away and only the real good ones get replayed. Sh*tty music has a tendency to fade away while the good stuff sticks around. Most of the really good music from the 60's happened in the latter part of the decade, the earlier part was loaded with awful stuff....the Beatles and Stones saved us from all that. Without them a 60's collection of hits might include Paul Anka, Fabian, Pat Boone, Jan & Dean, Lulu, Steve Lawrence, Lesley Gore, the Four Seasons, Dean Martin, Bobby Vinton, Petula Clark, Nancy Sinatra , Sonny & Cher, the 5th Dimension, and a whole assortment of uncool, unhip, phony , flashy junk pop.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Those 80s' bands and artists I listed, some of them started in the 1970s, though.

Petty, Billy Joel, etc. I could have listed Springsteen, too.  Heck, even U2 was a new wave band from the 1970s, debuting in the US in March of 1981 at the Paradise.

Slim pickens. I literally know no one who is a serious music fan that points to the 80s for a whole load of artists and bands who were influential and worth their salt. Like I said, there's always exceptions, and I am probably missing some, but come on.  Raving about the 1980s as an era of deep and rich history/tradition?  Really?

In 1972, you could literally see a legendary artist or band every Friday or Saturday night for crying out loud. "I saw The Band on Friday night and Traffic on Saturday night". That stuff just isn't happening in the 1980s or today.  Far cry from today's landscape and especially the 1980s.  The 1980s were basically a transition era before the grunge/indie thing came along in full force.

Obviously, you disagree and that's fine. I just don't know anyone who points to the 1980s as an era of good and great music across the board.  Today isn't much better. It's hip hop, rap, bubble gum pop and bubble gum Nashville country on the radio.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Again, I think you're focusing too intently upon the change of the business of music in the 80s - which naturally included the way it was conceived, packaged and delivered.  On these points I agree, but they're only tangential to the quality of the music itself. And rather than the exceptions to the rules, the best bands of the 80s turned out to be highly influential, very original, and functioned very well in opposition to the bubblegum gracing the top of the charts.  It's not as though the corporate world suddenly woke up in the 80s to the pop marketing machine.  Whenever there has been a popular musical artist or style, there's been a business shark to exploit it.  But this was because of the consolidation of various entertainment companies through de-regulation, not because the music made it so.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Right, but that goes hand in hand. If the bulk of what is being produced is canned to make money off of it, that's what the era was or is.  So, it has no bearing on where the root is.  They're completely connected.

If something was so genuinely good or great like U2, Petty, Springsteen, Billy Joel, as examples in the 1980s, it always got through to the masses alongside Milli Vanilli, et al, regardlesss of the general agenda of the music industry.

Also, the consolidation of the different aspects of the industry didn't occur until the mid/late 1990s.

Are we comparing for example hair metal and grunge? One is clearly a gimmick/entertainment style channeling glam rock via Kiss and all that, but the other is a natural evolution of music.

One is processed, the other isn't. One originated in the 1980s, the other the early 1990s.

See the difference? Put it this way, if hair metal wasn't so over-saturated, grunge may have remained a more underground music movement to the point bands like Nirvana and PJ may have been buried longer. It was just their luck that hair metal was over-exposed allowing for those grunge bands to be sold via MTV, on the radio, etc. MTV was cooler to me by 1992 than it was in 1987, for example and that's because the music landscape across the board was more diversified.

Also, another genre that evolved in the 1990s was the "jamband" genre.  Not all like it, but it still came to the forefront in the 1990s, where it didn't have a chance to catch fire in the 1980s.  Now, you see it as something that has been exposed more so the masses, due the evolution of it, not because it could be marketed (which it couldn't be anyway).

Again, I still dig some 80s stuff for sure, but I don't consider it part of my serious listening.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

all I know is the 80's gave us the Smiths and that's good enough for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Right, but that goes hand in hand. If the bulk of what is being produced is canned to make money off of it, that's what the era was or is.  So, it has no bearing on where the root is.  They're completely connected. If something was so genuinely good or great like U2, Petty, Springsteen, Billy Joel, as examples in the 1980s, it always got through to the masses alongside Milli Vanilli, et al, regardlesss of the general agenda of the music industry. Also, the consolidation of the different aspects of the industry didn't occur until the mid/late 1990s. Are we comparing for example hair metal and grunge? One is clearly a gimmick/entertainment style channeling glam rock via Kiss and all that, but the other is a natural evolution of music. One is processed, the other isn't. One originated in the 1980s, the other the early 1990s. See the difference? Put it this way, if hair metal wasn't so over-saturated, grunge may have remained a more underground music movement to the point bands like Nirvana and PJ may have been buried longer. It was just their luck that hair metal was over-exposed allowing for those grunge bands to be sold via MTV, on the radio, etc. MTV was cooler to me by 1992 than it was in 1987, for example and that's because the music landscape across the board was more diversified. Also, another genre that evolved in the 1990s was the "jamband" genre.  Not all like it, but it still came to the forefront in the 1990s, where it didn't have a chance to catch fire in the 1980s.  Now, you see it as something that has been exposed more so the masses, due the evolution of it, not because it could be marketed (which it couldn't be anyway). Again, I still dig some 80s stuff for sure, but I don't consider it part of my serious listening.

But again, the bulk of what's being produced is and has always been commercial stuff.  Sometimes, quality matches up with quantity evenly, but most of the time, it's lopsided.  The quality usually flies under the radar but ends up being more important to the music that succeeds it.

Take a band like New Order, which may have origins in the late 70s, but is very much a product of the 80s.  Very influential, very important to the development of electronic music, AND very successful (at least in the UK).  Also, The Smiths, The Cure.

Take Stevie Ray Vaughan, darn near a virtuoso blues-rock guitarist who absolutely scorched during the 80s, starting with a solo on a David Bowie record in 1981.

And again, I'll mention the Pixies, who were a direct influence on Nirvana and grunge in general and now recognized as one of the most important post-punk bands along with The Replacements.

Call it what you will: new wave, post-punk, art punk, heavy metal, college rock, underground, indie, ...there was lots of great music in the 80s...just as there is now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Music = the world of opinions. I love the 80's because it didn't take itself so seriously. And I loved that. Music does not always have to be about once in a lifetime art. Music is still at the front and center of entertainment. And if the 80's weren't entertaining, then I don't know what was.

Today, the retro secene is all about the 80's.

I was born in 1958 and had the pleasure of learning about the 50's from my sisters and cousins, living through the 60's and really becoming aware in the late 60's. Was a teen in the 70's & busted loose in the 80's. It is now 30 + years since 1980 hit and I can tell you that I listen to more 80's music right now than any other decade. And I consider myself a RnR junkie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]Those 80s' bands and artists I listed, some of them started in the 1970s, though. Petty, Billy Joel, etc. I could have listed Springsteen, too.  Heck, even U2 was a new wave band from the 1970s, debuting in the US in March of 1981 at the Paradise. Slim pickens. I literally know no one who is a serious music fan that points to the 80s for a whole load of artists and bands who were influential and worth their salt. Like I said, there's always exceptions, and I am probably missing some, but come on.  Raving about the 1980s as an era of deep and rich history/tradition?  Really? In 1972, you could literally see a legendary artist or band every Friday or Saturday night for crying out loud. "I saw The Band on Friday night and Traffic on Saturday night". That stuff just isn't happening in the 1980s or today.  Far cry from today's landscape and especially the 1980s.  The 1980s were basically a transition era before the grunge/indie thing came along in full force. Obviously, you disagree and that's fine. I just don't know anyone who points to the 1980s as an era of good and great music across the board.  Today isn't much better. It's hip hop, rap, bubble gum pop and bubble gum Nashville country on the radio.

Getting a bit technical with the dates...I don't know anyone who concideres U2 to be a 70's band. Let's face it a lot of bands may have begun their careers in the late 70's, but the majority of their music and hits as we know from them, came from the 80's. Your complete and utter distain for the entire decade and anything that came out of it is baffling to me. But, to each is own 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

[QUOTE]all I know is the 80's gave us the Smiths and that's good enough for me.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Boom. exactly.. Plus  the already mentioned Pixies, the Replacements, the Godfathers, Hunters and Collectors, The Pogues, Husker Du, REM , Sonic Youth, They Might Be Giants, Scruffy the Cat, The Throwing Muses, Violent Femmes, TV Smith, as well as great bands like Clash, Cure Buzzcocks, X etc hitting strides so many bands I loved .. Probably the best for me.. Other than mid to late 70's

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Look, I'm far from the biggest disco fan, but I can appreciate the rhythms and beats it borrowed from early-70s funk plus some R&B and soul for good measure.  Most of it was easily forgettable, but then there were a few great tracks, too, that transcended the fluff.

This is to say that the 70s had its disco; 80s had its programmed pop; 90s had its boy bands, and so on...

...even the 60s had a lot of questionable stuff, especially on the pop charts.

And while it might be tempting to try and rank the decades, the truth is that music doesn't always follow a schedule, and trends come and go constantly.  We may be raised to think our era was the best, but that's our own bias talking, even as the next great guitarist is praising Robert Johnson records from the 30s.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It's a bit harsh to put an entire decade of music down; there was so much great music that came out of the 1980s, even if "great" music is defined very subjectively.    And who ever said that the music of any particular decade belonged exclusively to the bands that actually emerged and formed in that decade?  That's absurd.  You'd never be able to draw that fine line, and it doesn't have any meaning anyhow.  Has the world forgotten that it used to take YEARS, not months or days (heh heh -- pre-youtube) to reach a level of prominence in the music industry decades ago?

Here's a few more randomly selected artists to throw into the mix:
    The Bangles, The Go-Gos, Aimee Mann, 10,000 Maniacs, (AHEM) The Pretenders and one of my recent 'old' discoveries, The Stone Roses  :)  

I'd be nothing without the Pet Shop Boys and New Order.  Did I ever want techno-synthpop music exclusively?   No, of course not.  Dammit, it's fun, truly excellent music.  

Who cares if it's 'serious' listening?  Maybe that's why much of this music is so beloved by some of us.  It's *not necessarily* serious listening -- it's from a decade that didn't take itself very seriously in the first place.  :P

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I can see that there is pretty well established clique here.

Good day, all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yes, yogafriend, you have once again put into words what many of us have only been thinking.

The 80's possibly did not produce as much "serious" music as the 60's and 70's , alot of music from the 80's is kind of fun and not really what many of us would refer to as "serious listening."

I think alot of that comes from MTV and the novelty of creating videos. So many of the videos we remember best are the funny or fun ones. Weird Al (Eat It), Devo (Whip It),Talking Heads ( Once In A Lifetime), Thomas Dolby ( Blinded Me With Science). Also there was no war to protest, no real anger among the people, a nice decade to have fun in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I can see that there is pretty well established clique here. Good day, all.

Many of us may be disagreeing with you, but it doesn't mean we don't value your opinion.

Obviously Greg , who started the thread is in agreement with you.

I consider these people to be extremely passionate music fans, and most are real smart , I hate to single out anyone, but Matty is just amazing. yoga is our resident thread starter , she has so many great ideas!

I have had many disagreements with my friend jessey...he is after all a stinkin' Yankee fan! , but we respect the fact that although we are alike in our love for baseball, music ( and women ....but that's a topic we should not get too involved in here!), we do have many different opinions about what is good and bad in music.

Please, believe me when I say that I am not disagreeing with you on the fact that there is lots and lots of awful music from the 80's , just that I cannot shut out the whole decade because alot of it was junk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I can see that there is pretty well established clique here. Good day, all.

Don't take it personally.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Have  you ever been on a message board where there weren't?

But seriously, I don't know how fair it is to bash an entire decade for a handful of ego trips. Without reading the entire thread I'll assume there has been plenty of defense for what was good in the '80s and I'll throw in my two cents with Del Fuegos and the single most awesome in existence:

Der Kommisar

That is all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Doesn't mean that you and your opinions are not welcome here. In fact, we are extremely open to new community members and the thoughts they bring here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, nothing personal *at* *all* -- ya hear me?  

We discuss music here -- and the reason I've stuck around (heh, now they can't get rid of me) is because we have great discussions, stay on point for the most part, and believe it or not, we know how to disagree with eachother and not take offense.  I would not be an active member of this forum if people were rude or mean-spirited, I can assure you.  Yep, a bunch of us disagreed with the contention that an entire decade of music was complete crap, but you (and Greg) didn't leave us much choice but to defend some of the less crappy music -- and even the good music -- that we've loved over the years.  See, given a choice between all or nothing, what did you expect us to do? 

(You Gotta) Fight for your right to Parrrr-ty  :D

Frankly, your points were well taken.   The main thing that was missing (for me) was putting the music into a cultural context, and that's kind of my thing anyhow.  Hey, you'd add an interesting slant to any discussion, IMO, so please consider sticking around.   Take care.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Every one of us was new to a message board at one time.

I remember coming here when it was a wasteland and putting my two cents in. I often didn't get support , but I was bored and continued to post my opinions, some popular , many not. This happens on sports and political forums, where views can be polarized. ( One guy hates the manager...ten guys or girls love him), two people love the president , sixteen hate him.

I don't know that I would say this group is a "clique" , frankly I do not like cliques, I am more of a loner. I comment on threads by new and old alike depending on whether I have an opinion. Some of my favorite posters will post and I do not always join in if I have nothing to add. If a new poster starts an interesting thread , I am in with both feet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Every one of us was new to a message board at one time. I remember coming here when it was a wasteland and putting my two cents in. I often didn't get support , but I was bored and continued to post my opinions, some popular , many not. This happens on sports and political forums, where views can be polarized. ( One guy hates the manager...ten guys or girls love him), two people love the president , sixteen hate him. I don't know that I would say this group is a "clique" , frankly I do not like cliques, I am more of a loner. I comment on threads by new and old alike depending on whether I have an opinion. Some of my favorite posters will post and I do not always join in if I have nothing to add. If a new poster starts an interesting thread , I am in with both feet.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

And his lizard feet are webbed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Don't go BassFishing!

Opinion's are like noses everybody has one!

You will find good, bad & terrible opinions here.....including mine!

Relax and enjoy an opinion you don't agree with....but don't walk away!

Your thought's and opinion's matter too!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I agree, come back ... but toughen up a little.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

My comments were used in quotes TWICE in a condescending way, so please don't tell me to "toughen" up.  Probably not a good idea to mock someone who knows a whole lot about a topic or topics. If this was a forum on rocket science, yeah, I'd be out of my element.

Apparently, some felt insulted that my take on the 1980s music scene wasn't on par with theirs.  That's fine that you don't see a huge drop in creativity, quality and a unique music scene as compared to the 1960s, 70s and then into the 1990s.  It's just not remotely close, in my opinion. Honestly, I am sort of chuckling some are vehemently defending the 1980s.  Even people I know who love the 1980s, concede it was generally a weak era.

The 1980s were dominated by MTV, its power and its ability to reach more of the masses as that technological conduit.    I agree there were some great arists and bands to come out of the 1980s, many of whom were buried because they wouldn't sell out, but that's the whole point of this. It was easier to sell out, make money, be used to sell than ever before, which is why, generally speaking, the 1980s were weak.

Is this really a hard concept to accept?  The OP's comments were funny and accurate to me, but it doesn't mean someone like a Lucinda Williams wasn't great in the 1980s, as she was buried, simply because she didn't look like Madonna.

Sections
Shortcuts