I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were:
    [QUOTE]My comments were used in quotes TWICE in a condescending way, so please don't tell me to "toughen" up.  Probably not a good idea to mock someone who knows a whole lot about a topic or topics. If this was a forum on rocket science, yeah, I'd be out of my element. Apparently, some felt insulted that my take on the 1980s music scene wasn't on par with theirs.  That's fine that you don't see a huge drop in creativity, quality and a unique music scene as compared to the 1960s, 70s and then into the 1990s.  It's just not remotely close, in my opinion. Honestly, I am sort of chuckling some are vehemently defending the 1980s.  Even people I know who love the 1980s, concede it was generally a weak era. The 1980s were dominated by MTV, its power and its ability to reach more of the masses as that technological conduit.    I agree there were some great arists and bands to come out of the 1980s, many of whom were buried because they wouldn't sell out, but that's the whole point of this. It was easier to sell out, make money, be used to sell than ever before, which is why, generally speaking, the 1980s were weak. Is this really a hard concept to accept?  The OP's comments were funny and accurate to me, but it doesn't mean someone like a Lucinda Williams wasn't great in the 1980s, as she was buried, simply because she didn't look like Madonna.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Speaking for myself, I appreciate your point-of-view on the matter, and I think we were in the midst of a genuine discussion.

And for what it's worth, I think there is more common ground than might be evident, however, we are approaching the issue from different angles.  (Everyone here knows I tend to overanalyze anyway, so I'll put my neck up for ransom.)

What I'm seeing is a distinction between the "80s music-as-art" and "80s music-as-product".

I agree with you 100% that the cultural shifts of the late 70s/early 80s served to dilute the overall pool of popular music to the point where, like you say, there was just so much dreck drowning out the good stuff.  Also, MTV had the effect of showing it to us over and over and over which, at the time, made it ubiquitous.

Nevertheless, despite these caveats, lots of terrific music was being made, listened to and appreciated.  The problem was: a) not enough people knew about it at the time, and/or b) people found out about it after-the-fact.  Again, I'll use the example of Pixies, who were almost ignored in their time but elevated to deity status in the 90s when it was too late (for them and us).

Sorry if I read too much into your comments or misinterpreted them, but I do like getting into the weeds on topics like this, because I think it's important to recognize whether our preconceptions are true or whether they are based upon a unified collective memory of things that happened 20-30 years ago.

We all have our opinions.  Some are more closely held than others and require extra convincing.  Some opinions can't be changed.  But I HOPE that even if we disagree at the end that we disagree a little less...out of a mutual respect for the hand played, if nothing else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]My comments were used in quotes TWICE in a condescending way, so please don't tell me to "toughen" up.  Probably not a good idea to mock someone who knows a whole lot about a topic or topics. If this was a forum on rocket science, yeah, I'd be out of my element. Apparently, some felt insulted that my take on the 1980s music scene wasn't on par with theirs.  That's fine that you don't see a huge drop in creativity, quality and a unique music scene as compared to the 1960s, 70s and then into the 1990s.  It's just not remotely close, in my opinion. Honestly, I am sort of chuckling some are vehemently defending the 1980s.  Even people I know who love the 1980s, concede it was generally a weak era. The 1980s were dominated by MTV, its power and its ability to reach more of the masses as that technological conduit.    I agree there were some great arists and bands to come out of the 1980s, many of whom were buried because they wouldn't sell out, but that's the whole point of this. It was easier to sell out, make money, be used to sell than ever before, which is why, generally speaking, the 1980s were weak. Is this really a hard concept to accept?  The OP's comments were funny and accurate to me, but it doesn't mean someone like a Lucinda Williams wasn't great in the 1980s, as she was buried, simply because she didn't look like Madonna.

I just reread every comment on this thread and no one mocked what you said or spoke to you in a condescending manner. And I certainly don't think any of us were insulted. Personally, I thought you used way too wide of a paint brush on the decade, but that is my opinion and I believe I expressed that respectfully.

In rereading, the only thing I found was that you became somewhat irritated that the majority of us did not agree with you. In fact, you were the one with the arrogant statements as to what was sh*t and how this and that sold out and where MTV was used as a mass marketing tool so bands only had to fill an album with one or two good songs and then the rest was junk filler and so on and so on. Personally I disagree with your statement as a way to describe the whole of the decade. Yes, bands like Bon Jovi and the pablum that followed was weak. But the decade was filled with so many bands that released 45 minutes of pure joy in one CD.

I can say so much more on this subject, but I will not. Clearly nothing touches the 60's and early to mid 70's. RnR was just hitting puberty then and unleashed so much on us. And by the time the 80's came, RnR was no longer being influenced by the Blues, psy drugs, war and Hippie cultures. The music was being influenced by those bands that came to us in the 60's and 70's. it was also being influenced by a time of great hope in the USA in the mid 80's. As Poison said, "Nothing But A Good Time, how can I resist". The Cold War was over, terrorism had yet to hit our shores the economy had bounced back from the rags that Jimmy Carter had left it in.

Def Leppard's main influences were Mott, Queen and Zep
    Motley Crue's influences were The Ramones and NY Dolls
    The Thrash scene was influenced by Sabbath, Purple and Motorhead
    Guns and Roses were influenced by Aerosmith and the Stones.
    NWA and Public Enemy were influenced by James Brown, Grandmaster Flash & life in the streets. It may not be my cup of tea, but having been born in the Bronx where Rap first originated, I will not dismiss it as some corporate piece of junk or dismiss it as an artform.

These are just some simple examples for the hundreds of bands that came out in the 80's and provided excellent entertainment and music.

Remember, everyone is an individual and we look for different things from the music we listen to. Some people just want to dance and have little concern for the depth of the music or the notes and musicality that created the sound.

I highlighted in Red one of your comments - I would say that arrogance is not so well received here when the rest of us also know a lot about a specific topic and trust me, most of us here know an awful lot about music. SOme of us are musicians who tried hard to break into the scene in the 70's and lived through the disappointment of not maiking it.

Again - this is not an attempt to push you away. I hope you stay and become part of our community. I like to think we all learn a little from each other.

Regards
    Jessey

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

So, JesseyEric, me being mocked originally (yoga gal put two of my comments into quotes) and explaining that I have pretty good music knowledge to feel comortable to speak accurately from a historical angle, is now me being arrogant? 

Isn't that interesting.  So, only the people that are veterans here can mock, but when I say I actually know a lot about music and the history of music, this is "arrogance"?  Laughable. You pointing that out is what is arrogant. I am just trying to defend myself from the original mocking of my own comments on the topic.

Like I said, you seem to have a litle clique here, so enjoy that.

For everyone else, I think it's pretty clear this discussion was very obviously speaking in generalties, so thank you for not being uptight and noting that and moving on.    I'll just make a mental note of who is into discussing and who isn't and tread lightly from now on here.

This isn't a place to write a 25 page dissertation about music history and it's not some pissing contest either. Again, OF COURSE there are notable exceptions. Of course. However,  the 80s are generally known to any music fan out there to be an awkward era that yielded the least amoung of quality music in preceding or decades that followed. I don't know how much more clearly that can be stated or known.

For every 1 great artist originating in the 1980s, anyone could literally name 10 from the 1960s, 70s or even in the 1990s that are on the same level or even better.

Is U2 really better than the Beatles? Of course not. 

Bonnie Raitt disappeared for example because of artists like Madonna. I think, that, in a nutshell sums up the 1980s by comparison, very well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Getting a bit technical with the dates...I don't know anyone who concideres U2 to be a 70's band. Let's face it a lot of bands may have begun their careers in the late 70's, but the majority of their music and hits as we know from them, came from the 80's. Your complete and utter distain for the entire decade and anything that came out of it is baffling to me. But, to each is own 
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Here's one retort that was pretty reckless.  "utter disdain"?

Really?  A little sensitive with the reaction, aren't we? Just because there is a clear shift in the music history with disco-punk-new wave and into the pop/rap/hip hop based 1980s, doesn't mean I have complete and "utter disdain" for it.

I clearly noted there were some good points in the 1980s, from a historical perspective, but I did say that the 1980s pales by comparison.  Just look at the legendary bands alone that started in the 1960s for crying out loud. How is this even a debate?

Someone just mentioned the Pixies and the Smiths. Ok, but are you really going to sell fans on their songwriting, musicianship, etc, with the legends from the 1960s?  THese bands are on par with The Who, Zeppelin, The Stones, The Band, Traffic, The Allmans, The Dead, Cream, Hendrix/Experience, Velvet Undergorund, The Beatles, The Doors, The Byrds, and on and on and on..Really?  They're on par with these bands? 

We're talking absolute iconic, unique and legendary bands here to the nth degree.

Good lord. Clapton was so good he was in Mayall's band, Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos all within a 5 year span. lmao

Good grief. Some bands in the 1960s and 1970s were so good, they got bored and created different bands for crying out loud, some of which were as good as projects peripheral to their own.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Agree!!

I said above the late 90s started this awful era od what we see now. I mentioned Blink 182, but even the pop metal bands like a Nickelback, etc, basically came out of tha awful poseir late 90s Creed mold. Just awful.  They write the same song over and over. Maroon 5. Matchbox 20. Ugh. Just awful.

Then, you throw in the bubble gum cheese pop and the awful hip hop stuff of the last 10 years.  My god.  

I would sayy 1997ish through 2010/present. There is no real music movement going on right now.  All the best stuff is buried, but more available than in say, 2000 or even 2005, because of the way music is spread on the internet now. At least it's there and able to be found easier, while in 2000, it was harder.

You know when you can see a band for $15 in a club blow away a band who plays 20,000 seat arenas, the music world is going in reverse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 80's were certainly not my favorite time period for music.  Most of my alltime favorite stuff comes from the mid-Sixties to mid-Seventies.

The way I looked at the 80's at the time, it was like my type of music was sort of struggling to hold on against the onslaught of New Wave and MTV.

But a lot of good hard rock/heavy metal bands either emerged or kept going...Scorpions, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, BOC. 

In the more mainstream scene I was clinging to bands like the Police and Dire Straits as being the torch carriers. 

At the end of the decade Guns N Roses came along.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I agree about Nickelback and Creed and bands of that ilk.  No time for them at all.  I do see rock music still being a strong force out there though.  Where I live we just got a radio station that plays, of all things, only new rock music.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] me being mocked originally (yoga gal put two of my comments into quotes) and explaining that I have pretty good music knowledge to feel comortable to speak accurately from a historical angle, is now me being arrogant?  I don't know how much more clearly that can be stated or known. For every 1 great artist originating in the 1980s, anyone could literally name 10 from the 1960s, 70s or even in the 1990s that are on the same level or even better. Is U2 really better than the Beatles?  Of course not.  
    Bass,
    You don't know me, so all I can say is my reputation precedes me here (or elsewhere) and the last thing I was doing was mocking you.  If anything, I'm so freaking sincere, I don't know sarcasm (online) when I see it.  If you read something into my wording, all I can say is that's the number one problem with the written word  -- too much room to misinterpret, especially with people you don't know.  If I offended you, I heartily and readily apologize.  

Really, man, isn't it innocent until proven guilty?  Not the other way around?  

All you had to do was come back and give me a hard time for what I said -- give me some hell, so I could at least clear it up with you, instead of making an assumption about my intent.  

I'm the last person that is going to debate you on your knowledge of music. I come here to learn, I'm one of those oddballs who spends her time online judiciously, so I try to make it worthwhile, and spend it among people from whom I can learn.  That's why I am here.  I love to discuss music, and I love to learn.  Very straight forward.  

If I said something offensive or came across like a jerkface, I'll be the first one to say, my bad.  I mean that.  If you want to shake hands, I'm all for it.  Your choice.    Peace / out.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

PS  You need to stick around for more discussions.  Honestly, this forum is really a blast.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

And again, and I say this with all sincerity... toughen up a little.
    I often get shot down because I really dig U2. I was called a "bootlicker" on the Red Sox board because I was a Francona guy. It's no big deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Well if you hear any good new bands please let me know. Because the only new rock I overhear on the radio is absolute garbage. It's like hard rock/grunge without balls and without, well, the loudness. Teenagers whining along to stale, bland tunes. Every song the same. Even the distortion sounds like it was castrated. Can hardly tell the difference between it and emo, another genre that doesn't do much for me. Still, at least Slash got his sh*t together in the 00s and is going strong. We need some current young people to get angry and drunk, and then buy guitars instead of "guitar hero".
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm just trying to familiarize myself with some of these new bands.  I think some of the other people here like Matty know them a lot better than I do.

The Black Keys are great of course, though I guess they're not that new anymore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I happen to think the 50's had the best music. But most opinion based debates are not really debates at all. How do you prove what is best or what is worst? I don't have any proof that the 50's rule, that's just my emotional reaction to the music. No one can convince me otherwise. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Here's one retort that was pretty reckless.  "utter disdain"? Really?  A little sensitive with the reaction, aren't we? Just because there is a clear shift in the music history with disco-punk-new wave and into the pop/rap/hip hop based 1980s, doesn't mean I have complete and "utter disdain" for it. I clearly noted there were some good points in the 1980s, from a historical perspective, but I did say that the 1980s pales by comparison.  Just look at the legendary bands alone that started in the 1960s for crying out loud. How is this even a debate? Someone just mentioned the Pixies and the Smiths. Ok, but are you really going to sell fans on their songwriting, musicianship, etc, with the legends from the 1960s?  THese bands are on par with The Who, Zeppelin, The Stones, The Band, Traffic, The Allmans, The Dead, Cream, Hendrix/Experience, Velvet Undergorund, The Beatles, The Doors, The Byrds, and on and on and on..Really?  They're on par with these bands?  We're talking absolute iconic, unique and legendary bands here to the nth degree. Good lord. Clapton was so good he was in Mayall's band, Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos all within a 5 year span. lmao Good grief. Some bands in the 1960s and 1970s were so good, they got bored and created different bands for crying out loud, some of which were as good as projects peripheral to their own.

Oh, I don'y know about that. Both the Pixies and the Smiths were damn good songwriters and musicians in their own right and very influential. I'm not going to debate you on weather they stand up to the Allmans, etc, that's just foolish, and makes no sense given the difference in styles and era's. But for the decade in question the 80's, both bands  stood on their heads and were far better than most of the drek being played. IMO their music has held up as well today as many of the great bands you listed from the 60's and 70's. Don't discount the impact that Marr and Morissey have had on music and as songwriters. Marr is a great guitar player, and extremely influential among many of today's musicians, just as Clapton, and Allman continue to be. To me the Smiths and Pixies are pretty iconic as well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]So, JesseyEric, me being mocked originally (yoga gal put two of my comments into quotes) and explaining that I have pretty good music knowledge to feel comortable to speak accurately from a historical angle, is now me being arrogant?  Isn't that interesting.  So, only the people that are veterans here can mock, but when I say I actually know a lot about music and the history of music, this is "arrogance"?  Laughable. You pointing that out is what is arrogant. I am just trying to defend myself from the original mocking of my own comments on the topic. Like I said, you seem to have a litle clique here, so enjoy that. For everyone else, I think it's pretty clear this discussion was very obviously speaking in generalties, so thank you for not being uptight and noting that and moving on.    I'll just make a mental note of who is into discussing and who isn't and tread lightly from now on here. This isn't a place to write a 25 page dissertation about music history and it's not some pissing contest either. Again, OF COURSE there are notable exceptions. Of course. However,  the 80s are generally known to any music fan out there to be an awkward era that yielded the least amoung of quality music in preceding or decades that followed. I don't know how much more clearly that can be stated or known. For every 1 great artist originating in the 1980s, anyone could literally name 10 from the 1960s, 70s or even in the 1990s that are on the same level or even better. Is U2 really better than the Beatles? Of course not.  Bonnie Raitt disappeared for example because of artists like Madonna. I think, that, in a nutshell sums up the 1980s by comparison, very well.

But you see, Bonnie didn't disappear because of Madonna. She has her niche and can never be stalled in that niche. Mott the Hoople has been retired to the $2.99 scrap heap and there is no one in this world who can tell me that anything put out these last 20 years can touch Mott.

Pop music will always be front and center because it is specifically created to cross-over on a consistent basis. And no one did this better than Madonna and MJ. This is just the nature of the music business. It is why they have top 40 radio stations. Personally, I very much dislike her music and what she influenced. But I will give her the required props. Also, the demographics for the listening public has changed from the 30's all the way through to today. Even though "Disco" died, the dance scene didn't and never will. There is too much money to be made in the club scene. If you are a club owner, what is the better business plan. Hire a band and bring in business that will only be geared for that specific music or bring in a DJ at a much smaller cost and where your club will do well because of people's need to dance. Young women in general like to dance and young men like to go to these same clubs in hopes of meeting these pretty girls who like to dance. House music in the 80's was designed specifically for this sole purpose. To get a crowd excited! The more excited the crowd is, the more dancing there is; then more drinking takes place. The more drinking taks place, the more hook-ups happen. And it goes on and on. And that club can expect to have a good 3 -4 year run. It is not about the music anymore, it is about the Thursday, Friday and Saturday night party.

As to the music itself, in my eyes, no one will ever touch or bring more happiness to me than the sounds of The Beatles, Who, Zep, Queen, 70's Aerosmith, Mott, NY Dolls, King Crimson, Dylan, T-Rex, David Bowie, Monkees, Beach Boys, Cream, Jeff Beck, Clash and so on and so forth. But that was a different time and different place. The 80's came aand I was surprisingly pleased with the sounds of Def Lep, The Cure, The Crue, the Smiths, Dokken, Ratt, Megadeth, Trixter, Enuff z' Nuff, LA Guns, GnR, Kix and many others whom you originally wrote off because if I understood you correctly, the Hair Band scene & Post New Wave scene brought us nothing. (I could be wrong in this assumption & if I am, I apologize). And it also gave us Husker Du, the Pixies and so many more which led to the early 90's. Now I am not as smitten with Grunge - Nirvana and Pearl Jam did some good things, but IMO, they don't touch Alice in Chains and Soundgarden (Not grunge and I don't care that they came from Seattle). The last band to emerge from the 90's and to this day which I still follow are the Foo Fighters. I have resigned myself to what is already in my collection as I do not have the time to search out for new music. I now count on Matty and a few others to point out artists that I should take note of.

And interesting tidbit for all who bounce Nickelback. This is one of Jerry Cantrell's favorite bands and he has gone onstage with them a number of times. When asked why some one of his stature would do this, Jerry answered simply; "Have you ever seen them perform live?". If you judge a band by the two songs that get played, then you cannot make a true value judgment of the band. I repsect Jerry's opinion on music. See them live and then make a decision. I am too old to go to concerts now - I tend to punch out annoying 18 y.o.'s who disrupt my evening.

As a side bar - the chance of Yogafriend mocking anyone here is as great as me not twisting my head when a pair of legs walks by in tight jeans or a mini-skirt. Just saying, maybe you looked for someone to attack you and found it in words that really weren't. No one has tried harder to learn and pick up more from what is said here than her. Remember, your first statement did not come across as an opinion. It came off as a definitive statement of the times and anyone who disagreed had no clue. That is how it read, at least by me and perhaps others. Also, your comment which I highlighted in red is something which I completely disagree with. Who are all these people who make this claim? Certainly no one that I know of. If you are talkking about music critics, well, I pay no heed to what they have to say. But I look at tours like Rocklahoma and see that 25 yeas later, that decade seems to have held up fairly well. Usually, the higher grossing summer tours tend to be these 80's highlight gigs which feature bands like Cinderella, Poison, Motley Crue, etc.  Obviously there is something there. Even now, Depeche Mode can tour and sell out 3 straight nights at MSG in less than an hour, so can the Cure. Not too shabby if you ask me.

You seem like a true fan and someone who wants to be part of our little community. Again, being one of the old-timers here, I welcome you and hope you stay. I am sure you will bring a lot to the table. But just so we are on the same page - there is no mocking ever of Freddie Mercury Tongue out

My comment here is only to try and smooth over the rough edges and hopefully we can move forward from here. Welcome.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]The 80's was the worst decade for music -- the entire civilized world would agree with that -- end of story.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

D'oh!

Things were going so swimmingly after the last few posts, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : But you see, Bonnie didn't disappear because of Madonna. She has her niche and can never be stalled in that niche. Mott the Hoople has been retired to the $2.99 scrap heap and there is no one in this world who can tell me that anything put out these last 20 years can touch Mott. Pop music will always be front and center because it is specifically created to cross-over on a consistent basis. And no one did this better than Madonna and MJ. This is just the nature of the music business. It is why they have top 40 radio stations. Personally, I very much dislike her music and what she influenced. But I will give her the required props. Also, the demographics for the listening public has changed from the 30's all the way through to today. Even though "Disco" died, the dance scene didn't and never will. There is too much money to be made in the club scene. If you are a club owner, what is the better business plan. Hire a band and bring in business that will only be geared for that specific music or bring in a DJ at a much smaller cost and where your club will do well because of people's need to dance. Young women in general like to dance and young men like to go to these same clubs in hopes of meeting these pretty girls who like to dance. House music in the 80's was designed specifically for this sole purpose. To get a crowd excited! The more excited the crowd is, the more dancing there is; then more drinking takes place. The more drinking taks place, the more hook-ups happen. And it goes on and on. And that club can expect to have a good 3 -4 year run. It is not about the music anymore, it is about the Thursday, Friday and Saturday night party. As to the music itself, in my eyes, no one will ever touch or bring more happiness to me than the sounds of The Beatles, Who, Zep, Queen, 70's Aerosmith, Mott, NY Dolls, King Crimson, Dylan, T-Rex, David Bowie, Monkees, Beach Boys, Cream, Jeff Beck, Clash and so on and so forth. But that was a different time and different place. The 80's came aand I was surprisingly pleased with the sounds of Def Lep, The Cure, The Crue, the Smiths, Dokken, Ratt, Megadeth, Trixter, Enuff z' Nuff, LA Guns, GnR, Kix and many others whom you originally wrote off because if I understood you correctly, the Hair Band scene & Post New Wave scene brought us nothing. ( I could be wrong in this assumption & if I am, I apologize ). And it also gave us Husker Du, the Pixies and so many more which led to the early 90's. Now I am not as smitten with Grunge - Nirvana and Pearl Jam did some good things, but IMO, they don't touch Alice in Chains and Soundgarden (Not grunge and I don't care that they came from Seattle). The last band to emerge from the 90's and to this day which I still follow are the Foo Fighters. I have resigned myself to what is already in my collection as I do not have the time to search out for new music. I now count on Matty and a few others to point out artists that I should take note of. And interesting tidbit for all who bounce Nickelback. This is one of Jerry Cantrell's favorite bands and he has gone onstage with them a number of times. When asked why some one of his stature would do this, Jerry answered simply; "Have you ever seen them perform live?". If you judge a band by the two songs that get played, then you cannot make a true value judgment of the band. I repsect Jerry's opinion on music. See them live and then make a decision. I am too old to go to concerts now - I tend to punch out annoying 18 y.o.'s who disrupt my evening. As a side bar - the chance of Yogafriend mocking anyone here is as great as me not twisting my head when a pair of legs walks by in tight jeans or a mini-skirt. Just saying, maybe you looked for someone to attack you and found it in words that really weren't. No one has tried harder to learn and pick up more from what is said here than her. Remember, your first statement did not come across as an opinion. It came off as a definitive statement of the times and anyone who disagreed had no clue. That is how it read, at least by me and perhaps others. Also, your comment which I highlighted in red is something which I completely disagree with. Who are all these people who make this claim? Certainly no one that I know of. If you are talkking about music critics, well, I pay no heed to what they have to say. But I look at tours like Rocklahoma and see that 25 yeas later, that decade seems to have held up fairly well. Usually, the higher grossing summer tours tend to be these 80's highlight gigs which feature bands like Cinderella, Poison, Motley Crue, etc.  Obviously there is something there. Even now, Depeche Mode can tour and sell out 3 straight nights at MSG in less than an hour, so can the Cure. Not too shabby if you ask me. You seem like a true fan and someone who wants to be part of our little community. Again, being one of the old-timers here, I welcome you and hope you stay. I am sure you will bring a lot to the table. But just so we are on the same page - there is no mocking ever of Freddie Mercury My comment here is only to try and smooth over the rough edges and hopefully we can move forward from here. Welcome.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I don't know why my opinon would come across as fact, but peace anyway.  I am not going to the let the 80s be the thing that brings me down. hehe

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Bass, You don't know me, so all I can say is my reputation precedes me here (or elsewhere) and the last thing I was doing was mocking you.  If anything, I'm so freaking sincere, I don't know sarcasm (online) when I see it.  If you read something into my wording, all I can say is that's the number one problem with the written word  -- too much room to misinterpret, especially with people you don't know.  If I offended you, I heartily and readily apologize.   Really, man, isn't it innocent until proven guilty?  Not the other way around?   All you had to do was come back and give me a hard time for what I said -- give me some hell, so I could at least clear it up with you, instead of making an assumption about my intent.   I'm the last person that is going to debate you on your knowledge of music. I come here to learn, I'm one of those oddballs who spends her time online judiciously, so I try to make it worthwhile, and spend it among people from whom I can learn.  That's why I am here.  I love to discuss music, and I love to learn.  Very straight forward.   If I said something offensive or came across like a jerkface, I'll be the first one to say, my bad.  I mean that.  If you want to shake hands, I'm all for it.  Your choice.    Peace / out.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Clean slate, yogstress.  No worries. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll certainly agree some god-awful crap came out in the '80s. No question about that. Madonna, Duran Duran, Millie Vanilli (not sure of the spelling, but honestly it's not worth my time looking it up), and some of the truly boring glam metal. Wait ... what's my point again? Oh yeah, that it wasn't all bad.

The Clash, U2, REM, Pixies, Replacements, Prince, Living Colour, Stone Roses (thanks, Yoga), 10,000 Maniacs, Husker Du, Dire Straits, Buffalo Tom (a personal favorite), Concrete Blonde, Fishbone, the Pretenders, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I'm sure several others I'm forgetting ... excellent bands, all.

Every decade has its share of crap. I mean, jeeze, look at the '70s.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Not to get picky but Dire Straits was a 70s band. Their first record, I believe, dropped in 1978.  Definite 70s band, with roots tracing back to the early 1970s. Also, they were sort of JJ Cale meets Elvis or something.  Very unique band who didn't hit it big until MTV, ironically.

I think even the Pretenders were well underway in the 1970s, too.  The Cars are another.  10,000 Maniacs to this day are arguably the best band to come out of the 1980s.  U2 and REM as well.

I said it above, over and over.  Of course, there are exceptions.  But, in no way, are the bands I just listed junk or in the same vein of the garbage that was processed out of the 1980s.  

Go back to my first post and I clearly introduce my opinion as to WHY things went into overdrive in say, 1976. Disco is one reason, but also the industry was changing in that arenas were now used for shows, stadiums and the festival idea came into play, which meant more bands on a bill, etc.   It made it easier for bands to get notoriety and sell even if they weren't that good. You could catch fire with one single and that was all you needed.

A Day on the Green, for example in Oakland CA in 1976, is a perfect example.  The festival is a way to make a lot of money in one shot.  It's almost foolproof for promoters and the people/bands involved if it's priced well and marketed well. This, in a nutshell, started to water down music. 

Some might argue, the 1950s were all about rado and singles, which is true, but radio was also new, at least in terms of using it as a way to market onself. So, it's not fair to compare. Once the 1960s hit, making albums were clear artforms and the men were separated from the boys, no doubt. This is why the late 70s and a regression sort of sets up the weak 1980s.

Prior to this era, the only way for bands and artists to communicate with fans was to make a record pretty much EVERY YEAR.  Their tours on those albums were the platform to generate the revenue needed.  Even the big bands and artists had to have it. That's why some records had 8 tracks on them. Today, that doesn't even make some artist's final tracklistings. They'd release a record per year, around 8 or 9 tracks, some of it not ebven that good, but sometimes half of it was filler.  When did the big artists or bands start to stumble? IMO, it was the mid 1970s.   Almost every band that started in the 1960s, started to put out filler albums.  This is mostly due to their peak eras as artists fading (lasts generally about 6-8 years), but it's also because the record companies knew they could market an album with filler, a cover and 2 makeshift singles as well.

Just look at Led Zeppelin for example: 

1. 1975 Physical Grafitti: Double album. True piece of art, arguably their best record.

2. Pressure to follow that up, record company wanted another immediately, 1976's Presence.  Not a real good album, most of it filler, but 2 solid singles or radio friendly type songs to sell the record.

My cut off point is 1975, basically.  The transition away from the art standing on its own and it becoming more manufactured started in the late 1970s, which set up the 1980s. MTV only put this concept into overdrive.

Again, IMO, it was a combo of gimmick genres like disco and punk, sort of merging with this thing that everyone called "new wave" at the dawn of the MTV era, which in turn buried the good stuff.

This is not to say all punk or new wave was bad, just that it was a fad sort of thing. Disco was just horrendous, IMO, but I can totlly dig why some wanted it to dance to, party with, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In the end, we come to the conclusion that it is okay to agree to disagre

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Funny thing about the bountiful ocean we call music...

...there's always another wave coming, and there's usually an undertow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Clean slate, yogstress.  No worries. 

Got it, and ditto.

BTW, you should have seen the reaction I got when I said that "Strawberry Fields Forever" was one of my LEAST liked Beatles songs  (and I started the thread myself) -- no one agreed with me on that, and I did not see it coming.   Everyone was pretty funny about it, but all I heard was "NO NO NO NO NO, you can't mean that, no no no!!"  I was laughing pretty hard on this side of the computer screen.  I had no idea that admission on my part was going to be so slanderous.   :)   

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.