I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were

I love Lita Ford and Joan Jett. Just thought I would add this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

You guys crack me up!   I mean that in a good way, though some of you probably think I'm cracked in that whole other way.  :)

Matty, I appreciate what you're saying -- your wife probably -- strike that -- definitely knows more about DMB and could give a more expert opinion than me -- and you could too for that matter, as you have been to so many shows.

My feeling on DMB -- and I am a statistically insignificant sample of *1*! -- I think his first album was great.  It had a fresh sound at the time, a fusion of rock, jazz and world music, maybe a bit of New Orleans thrown in.  I don't find his songs to be particularly easy to sing -- I mean when I run those songs through my memory, I hear Dave's somewhat nasally sound eliding all the words and I can't really pick out the lyrics at all, so compared to 100's of other groups -- The Beatles at the top of that list -- his stuff is not all that soft and easy to sing along to.  (My point being, he may appeal to women, but I don't think that's the reason.)  I also don't find him or his songs to be all that sexy, but that's a personal kind of thing (and a great topic for another thread!  :::wheels turning in head already -- why do I think Jessey would be a great moderator for that thread???:::::)

After DMB's first album, the rest up until his latest I thought were disappointing -- maybe they were as good as the first, but there wasn't anything to distinguish them.  Or perhaps I didn't listen to them enough times to "get" them.  His most recent album, though, I think is quite good.  So, maybe I just needed that break from his stuff to appreciate him again, I dunno.

One thing I can think of about him that might appeal to women more than men is his backstory.  If I'm remembering correctly, he'd had a wife or SO who died (Matty, your resident fan would know this one!) and that is a romantic theme that might engage women more than men.  I think that kind of story can lead people to dwell on his lyrics trying to find personal clues, and some people find that kind of heartbreak lends a certain sexy/soulful vibe. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

And guys, don't make me take out the ruler next time:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were:
    [QUOTE]You guys crack me up!   I mean that in a good way, though some of you probably think I'm cracked in that whole other way.  :) Matty, I appreciate what you're saying -- your wife probably -- strike that -- definitely knows more about DMB and could give a more expert opinion than me -- and you could too for that matter, as you have been to so many shows. My feeling on DMB -- and I am a statistically insignificant sample of *1*! -- I think his first album was great.  It had a fresh sound at the time, a fusion of rock, jazz and world music, maybe a bit of New Orleans thrown in.  I don't find his songs to be particularly easy to sing -- I mean when I run those songs through my memory, I hear Dave's somewhat nasally sound eliding all the words and I can't really pick out the lyrics at all, so compared to 100's of other groups -- The Beatles at the top of that list -- his stuff is not all that soft and easy to sing along to.  (My point being, he may appeal to women, but I don't think that's the reason.)  I also don't find him or his songs to be all that sexy, but that's a personal kind of thing (and a great topic for another thread!  :::wheels turning in head already -- why do I think Jessey would be a great moderator for that thread???:::::) After DMB's first album, the rest up until his latest I thought were disappointing -- maybe they were as good as the first, but there wasn't anything to distinguish them.  Or perhaps I didn't listen to them enough times to "get" them.  His most recent album, though, I think is quite good.  So, maybe I just needed that break from his stuff to appreciate him again, I dunno. One thing I can think of about him that might appeal to women more than men is his backstory.  If I'm remembering correctly, he'd had a wife or SO who died (Matty, your resident fan would know this one!) and that is a romantic theme that might engage women more than men.  I think that kind of story can lead people to dwell on his lyrics trying to find personal clues, and some people find that kind of heartbreak lends a certain sexy/soulful vibe.   
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

All very good points...and taken well in stride.  ;))

I certainly have my criticisms, and I like some songs better than others.  They tend to be scattered throughout their career and not focused on any one album (or show).  And it's true that the albums are generally weak as a whole (agreed the 2010 LP might be one of the best...the semi-permanent addition of Tim Reynolds makes a big difference.), especially vs. the livetrax discs.

I would also note that I view them more as a band given that I have no untoward attraction to Dave himself...who, again, can be just plain goofy.  My critical approach is like with any other band - the songs, the performances, the flourishes, the good and bad...

...but there's a vibe at their shows that is somehow familiar yet still unique...a full live music experience that I've seldom seen duplicated.  So, I encourage casual fans to see at least one show before committing to their bias.  All I can say is that my own spouse's fandom began when I brought home the Central Park Concert on DVD (killer version of "Cortez The Killer" with Warren Haynes, btw) about 12 years ago.  The rest is history....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Matty -- that's another great topic (or has it already been done):  bands that really sell you with a killer live show.

I'm glad you said that about DMB, because it's a band I wouldn't have considered going to see in concert.  Not that I would mind, but there's only so much time and money -- and babysitters! -- available, so they weren't anywhere near the top of my list.

Thanks so much for your perspective!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] I also don't find him or his songs to be all that sexy, but that's a personal kind of thing (and a great topic for another thread!  :::wheels turning in head already -- why do I think Jessey would be a great moderator for that thread?
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

I'd be glad to make a thread re: Sexy songs --- as it stands, JE isn't all that good at moderating threads like that --- he gets carried away looking at all the hot chicks -- way too distracting.  :)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Since it seems this turned into discussiong about DMB... who are they again? Just kidding.. I have never really been a fan.. I know he has the huge following.. Almost cult like.. My daughter liked him for awhile. A couple of years back he was playing at Fenway park and my daughter wanted me to take her..(She was about 15 at the time).. Tickets were like 85.00 face value. No way was I shelling that kind of money out.. But I told her the night of the show we can go outisde the venue to see if we can get in cheaper.. Well that we did. I ended up buying two tickets off a "vendor" outside for 25.00 a piece. So ended up paying 50.00 for two tickets valued at 170.00.. For the show itself first it was fenway park which I find a dump not only for baseball but especially for a concert. the DMB show was just okay for me. To me it seemed almost like 1 2 hour song.. But agian thats just me.. I would never ever see a show at Fenway again (or any stadium) and wouldn't go see DMB again either.. My daughter now is no longer into them as well..But as I always say round here to each his / her won

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : I'd be glad to make a thread re: Sexy songs --- as it stands, JE isn't all that good at moderating threads like that --- he gets carried away looking at all the hot chicks -- way too distracting.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I promise to behave myself. For example, the way this band looked & dressed had nothing to do with my appreciation for them as a musical entity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Dude, none taken... ...but I do have some insight into this - which I consider a bona fide cultural phenomenon like any other - having been to over a dozen Dave shows dating back to almost 20 years.  (My dear wife is also a huge fan and very active in the DMB sphere.) First, like many live-focused, jam-type bands, their radio hits don't represent their body of work very well.  Most live versions are extended instrumentals, jazz workouts, and various improvs. The culture around the band is also jam-oriented, but neither as older/folky as The Dead, nor as edgy/idiosyncratic as Phish.  It's tempting, but not threatening; laid-back, but not complacent; kind of hip, but not hipster... And the sexual references in Dave's lyrics - endlessly goofy though they may be - are not a one-off...they are literally everywhere in almost everything he writes.  Even "Crash Into Me", a well-known hit, is rather blatant...no innuendo needed.  A quick glance affirms this, and anecdotally, so do many of my friends (male and female) who are fans. I'm just noting what I've seen and heard in person and comparing to what I know about popular music.  And as a casual fan in a world of die-hards, it's quite remarkable to watch.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but I still don't think his lyrics are notoriously about sex like AC/DC songs or something.   I still have no idea what you or your wife are talking about. Sure, some songs add in the innuendo, but his lyrics are really not known for that either.  I just don't see it. 

I think she might think that based upon her love of looking at DM and fantasizing the way I would with someone like Sheryl Crow or Susannah Hoffs. The latter is even better.    Ahh, Susannah Hoffs. 

All of a sudden "Don't Drink the Water" is about sex.  lol

Also, and this will likely get me some heat here, females generally look for two things in music first:

1. Singing along/lyrics important.
    2. Is it dancebale?

Now, this is for MOST girls.  Not saying all, but most. They want to sing along and dance. Nothing wrong with that at all. At all. But, Dave Matthews's writing style allows for that.  It just does. The tempos are similar, and when he switch up tempos in a song, they're catchy ways of doing it (Ants Marching). 

My issue is the songs never had enough bite to them. It's just one long flat sound with some infusion of jazz into it with the horns and tempos, etc.  Actually, I think he's incredibly overrated as a songwriter.

I completely agree with how you described DMBs footprint on the decade. It's unique and accesible ay the same time, so it created this curiosity, across all demographics.  And even though it's jazz based pop with a a good mix during a show, it really became the classic frat party band.  One of the more annoying live shows I've attended.

Chicks would like it in large numbers and then you'd have to fend off the annoying frat tools. I went to one show and that was it for me. My gf at the time loved it and I sucked it up and was actually curious if it was that good anyway.  Nope, it wasn't that good, but I sacrificed!  I sacrificed! haha

I never really got what the fuss was about whatsoever, but I do see why many would find it attractive.  They had their unique sound and it crossed over well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]As a regular girl on this forum, I find nothing about the discussion (of DMB) condescending at all.   Don't feel the need to be "defended" in an obligatory way, but thanks anyway.   Discussed it loads of times here.   Not much new.   Been here two years, if I want to speak up, I do, and feel free to do so if anything offends or bothers me.  I've never been treated with anything but respect for my opinions, and have been told that my perspective is interesting and valued many times.  However,  if I were going to take offense at a few generalizations about the female persuasion now and again in the context of RnR, I would have left by now.  :D    (note, this in reference to a music discussion only -- in other arenas, that might be a diff story) This is a music forum, so I *do* take it in context.  I find it more eye opening that condescending.  They are stating opinions.   Not facts.   Why is it condescending to say that there's an aura about a band that draws women?   If the shoe fits ... Is it condescending to infer or opine that the reason a band draws men is due to it having a hot, chick lead singer, if women were the ones making the judgment call?   Gah.   I find it fascinating that it's widely known that DMB are like bees to honey to women, as described by men.  I find it amusing.  Just my take, and you can take it or leave it.  I won't take offense.   :)   Peace.   but then the whole "women like Dave Matthews for such-and-such shallow reasons" discussion is really condescending.   I mean, fellas, there are a few of us here, you could just ask an actual female.  

Exactly. Thank you for speaking up.  You have to speak in generalities on topics like this since we don't have all day to break down everything. It's not meant to be sexist.

Generally speaking, gals like certain things, guys like certain things.

If I go to an AC/DC show, there will be no hot girls there. I know this going in, and that's fine. Most dudes dig fast, hard or heavy riff based rock and roll.  That's just the way it is. I don't take it personally that most girls don't dig AC/DC. Now, of course, not all or every male likes AC/DC, but you get the point.

I might listen to Gordon Lighfoot and be considered girly or whatever because it's 60s and 70s folk, but I don't really care and it's a complete 180 from AC/DC.

All the rite of passage rock stuff is listened to by males.  My sister wasn't listening to the AC/DC catalog. She may have, but it's not the norm.

This isn't meant to be sexist, it's the way it is, generally speaking. 

I don't feel Dave Matthews captures a big female audience due to them thinking he 's good loooking or whatnot, but it clearly doesn't hurt.  I think the DMB thing is accessible and I also think this came out of the college era in the early mid 90s, too. If you were in college in that era, this is what was "new" at the time, so it was exposed in dorm rooms all over, and then it built from there out of the masses.

It was less heavy than Nirvana, PJ, Alice in Chains, The Crowes, etc, so it carried into the female demographic well. That's just what happened. 

You could say the same thing about the second generation fanbase of the Dead in the 1980s and then they got some momentum on radio with Touch of Grey in 1987, even though that thing was written years earlier.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]As a regular girl on this forum, I find nothing about the discussion (of DMB) condescending at all.   Don't feel the need to be "defended" in an obligatory way, but thanks anyway.   Discussed it loads of times here.   Not much new.   Been here two years, if I want to speak up, I do, and feel free to do so if anything offends or bothers me.  I've never been treated with anything but respect for my opinions, and have been told that my perspective is interesting and valued many times.  However,  if I were going to take offense at a few generalizations about the female persuasion now and again in the context of RnR, I would have left by now.  :D    (note, this in reference to a music discussion only -- in other arenas, that might be a diff story) This is a music forum, so I *do* take it in context.  I find it more eye opening that condescending.  They are stating opinions.   Not facts.   Why is it condescending to say that there's an aura about a band that draws women?   If the shoe fits ... Is it condescending to infer or opine that the reason a band draws men is due to it having a hot, chick lead singer, if women were the ones making the judgment call?   Gah.   I find it fascinating that it's widely known that DMB are like bees to honey to women, as described by men.  I find it amusing.  Just my take, and you can take it or leave it.  I won't take offense.   :)   Peace.   but then the whole "women like Dave Matthews for such-and-such shallow reasons" discussion is really condescending.   I mean, fellas, there are a few of us here, you could just ask an actual female.  

Here's an example (or two) from a guy's point of view:

Grace Potter is hot, but she also writes good songs.  In the 1970s/early 1980s, I would have loved to have been hanging around Stevie Nicks.  Hot. But, she was incredible with the vocals, songwriting and stage presence. 

Natalie Merchant. Not really hot, but there is something about her that is hot in her younger years.  Throw in the great lyrics, singing/delivery and hippie stage presence and it's just right up my alley. The looks is just a bonus to me when visually seeing the performer, but I don't go towards their music for the looks.

I think we can agree on that kind of thing.

I already mentioned Sheryl Crow and Susannah Hoffs.  Hoffs could sing Mary Had a Little Lamb and it wouldn't matter. hehe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : I agree with you, but I still don't think his lyrics are notoriously about sex like AC/DC songs or something.   I still have no idea what you or your wife are talking about. Sure, some songs add in the innuendo, but his lyrics are really not known for that either.  I just don't see it.  I think she might think that based upon her love of looking at DM and fantasizing the way I would with someone like Sheryl Crow or Susannah Hoffs. The latter is even better.    Ahh, Susannah Hoffs.  All of a sudden "Don't Drink the Water" is about sex.   Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Good points, all.

Understand I wasn't speaking in the strictest terms.  I'm speaking of sex in the artistic sense, where sexual tension is created as a device to extend the narrative or style of the song.  It's used in many different ways musically...and perhaps the ONLY thing that DMB and AC/DC songs have in common.  Not simplistic idol worship.

But I'm also talking about romance, and Dave at core is a crooner (albeit one of a more hippie-ish sensibility).  He sings in serenades and lullabies, plaintively and passionately; not the blues, per se...more like the purples.  He also has a more soulful voice than he's given credit for, and the live performances bear that out.

I kind of agree with the songwriting part; not all that great, and yet it's effective at creating a mood and (intentionally or not) fomenting a reaction - good or bad - from the audience.  And I see this also, incidentally, in the form of Dave's male fans, and the intense "bro-mancers" among them.

I'm not trying to change your mind, as you seem already convinced.  However, in trying to think about the music critically, there are definite patterns at work that have sustained the band through 20 years of tours and the many millions of tickets sold.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Ok, so he's the hippie jazz/pop jamband version of Barry White. hehe

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Here's an example (or two) from a guy's point of view: Grace Potter is hot, but she also writes good songs.  In the 1970s/early 1980s, I would have loved to have been hanging around Stevie Nicks.  Hot. But, she was incredible with the vocals, songwriting and stage presence.  Natalie Merchant. Not really hot, but there is something about her that is hot in her younger years.  Throw in the great lyrics, singing/delivery and hippie stage presence and it's just right up my alley. The looks is just a bonus to me when visually seeing the performer, but I don't go towards their music for the looks. I think we can agree on that kind of thing. I already mentioned Sheryl Crow and Susannah Hoffs.  Hoffs could sing Mary Had a Little Lamb and it wouldn't matter. hehe
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Susannah Hoffs is a forum favorite, love it.  HA.  A poster once mentioned meeting her after a show in a small venue and he got so flustered he found himself saying something unintelligible to her -- it was damn funny.  

You seem like an old soul in some ways, and have a very broad range not only of knowledge, but of likes and dislikes.  I'm a bit surprised about Stevie Nicks --as I am pro-Christine McVie all the way -- but bohemian chic does have a lasting quality.  :)   I posted on Grace Potter (and agree she's hot and a good singer-singwriter) but there wasn't a huge outpouring of love for her.   

As for guys, girls, chicks, ladies, gals, babe, baby  -- none of that bothers me.  Not sexist at all, even though I realize some females have issues with some terms of endearment.   I don't subscribe to "boys will be boys" as it pertains to being crass, rude, or disrespectful, but am down with it insofar as a discussion of hotness, sexiness, attraction, etc.  Females certainly get down when they discuss men (and some are vicious), so, all's fair on the other side of the coin.

Funny thing for me is that I could never be accused of liking any of the music that I like because the band is comprised of hot-looking men.  I'm pretty stuck in the nineties at times -- and have grown to like Pearl Jam and Wilco, for two.  I do like AC/DC -- I have to log a few of their songs in the sexy song thread -- and I also am a recent fan of the Scorpions, that hard rock band that has a span of over 35 years to their credit, and I just kicked open the door to their greatness.  One of the ways I have really "used" this forum and listened to the people here is to expand my knowledge of hard rock and even metal.   So, yeah, if I weren't listening, I wouldn't be learning.   My ex ex was a musician; my laissez faire attitude about some of the above may have become more cemented because of that, I mean, it's possible.  :)

PS  Chris Cornell is hot.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Here's an example (or two) from a guy's point of view: Grace Potter is hot, but she also writes good songs.  In the 1970s/early 1980s, I would have loved to have been hanging around Stevie Nicks.  Hot. But, she was incredible with the vocals, songwriting and stage presence.  Natalie Merchant. Not really hot, but there is something about her that is hot in her younger years.  Throw in the great lyrics, singing/delivery and hippie stage presence and it's just right up my alley. The looks is just a bonus to me when visually seeing the performer, but I don't go towards their music for the looks. I think we can agree on that kind of thing. I already mentioned Sheryl Crow and Susannah Hoffs.  Hoffs could sing Mary Had a Little Lamb and it wouldn't matter. hehe
    Had a MASSIVE thing for Natalie, truly a beautiful woman with an incredible voice. Saw the Maniacs twice and her solo twice ... a terrific stage presence without being dominant.

I met Susanna Hoffs once ... She shook my hand and I think I said something like "HADAMFANFHMUPH..." You seen her lately? She has aged extremely well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Wow - this has become a very serious thread and I should not be so lazy with it. Sorry!!!

I will come back later when I have time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, so he's the hippie jazz/pop jamband version of Barry White. hehe

Heh.

Was thinking more like Luther Vandross, but you get the idea...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Had a MASSIVE thing for Natalie, truly a beautiful woman with an incredible voice. Saw the Maniacs twice and her solo twice ... a terrific stage presence without being dominant. I met Susanna Hoffs once ... She shook my hand and I think I said something like "HADAMFANFHMUPH..." You seen her lately? She has aged extremely well.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Oh, I just referred to you/this in my response to BassFi -- I remembered that someone on the board relayed this anecdote a while back, not only because it was funny, but it expressed first-hand how a man could turn to mush because of her.  Still VERY funny.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Oh, I just referred to you/this in my response to BassFi -- I remembered that someone on the board relayed this anecdote a while back, not only because it was funny, but it expressed first-hand how a man could turn to mush because of her.  Still VERY funny.   
    How the heck did I miss that? It was  the one right before my post! Yep, that was me ... and "mush" was indeed the description. Did I mention I didn't wash my hand until the entire semester?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Susannah Hoffs is a forum favorite, love it.  HA.  A poster once mentioned meeting her after a show in a small venue and he got so flustered he found himself saying something unintelligible to her -- it was damn funny.   You seem like an old soul in some ways, and have a very broad range not only of knowledge, but of likes and dislikes.  I'm a bit surprised about Stevie Nicks --as I am pro-Christine McVie all the way -- but bohemian chic does have a lasting quality.  :)   I posted on Grace Potter (and agree she's hot and a good singer-singwriter) but there wasn't a huge outpouring of love for her.    As for guys, girls, chicks, ladies, gals, babe, baby  -- none of that bothers me.  Not sexist at all, even though I realize some females have issues with some terms of endearment.   I don't subscribe to "boys will be boys" as it pertains to being crass, rude, or disrespectful, but am down with it insofar as a discussion of hotness, sexiness, attraction, etc.  Females certainly get down when they discuss men (and some are vicious), so, all's fair on the other side of the coin. Funny thing for me is that I could never be accused of liking any of the music that I like because the band is comprised of hot-looking men.  I'm pretty stuck in the nineties at times -- and have grown to like Pearl Jam and Wilco, for two.  I do like AC/DC -- I have to log a few of their songs in the sexy song thread -- and I also am a recent fan of the Scorpions, that hard rock band that has a span of over 35 years to their credit, and I just kicked open the door to their greatness.  One of the ways I have really "used" this forum and listened to the people here is to expand my knowledge of hard rock and even metal.   So, yeah, if I weren't listening, I wouldn't be learning.   My ex ex was a musician; my laissez faire attitude about some of the above may have become more cemented because of that, I mean, it's possible.  :) PS  Chris Cornell is hot.  

I never base my love of music on looks, but the wonder from Canada is so strikingly beautiful in person, when I first saw her live I could not take my eyes off her.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : I never base my love of music on looks, but the wonder from Canada is so strikingly beautiful in person, when I first saw her live I could not take my eyes off her.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised, I'm sure she was amazing.  I would name her, too, were I a guy.    Nice call.  

RE: Hoffs.   She and Elizabeth Hurley bear a resemblance to one another.  
    I was cutting through Bloomingdales one afternoon a couple/three years ago and the place was in a frenzy, so I asked what was up.   Elizabeth Hurley was appearing  as a spokesperson for a breast cancer event (might have been associated with a makeup company, I don't remember) -- so I decided to stick around since I was there anyhow.  It was crowded, and we awaited her arrival at the foot of the escalator.  :)

My jaw dropped when I saw how elegant and gorgeous she was, she was truly radiant, well-spoken and poised.  Still smokin' hot -- she's not skinny -- but she rocked the dress she was wearing and the spike heels, too.  Yeesh.   Funny, but after I met her that day (I did buy something at the event) ever so briefly, I have liked her since, in a distant way.  She made a lasting impression on me.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : I'm not surprised, I'm sure she was amazing.  I would name her, too, were I a guy.    Nice call.   RE: Hoffs.   She and Elizabeth Hurley bear a resemblance to one another.   I was cutting through Bloomingdales one afternoon a couple/three years ago and the place was in a frenzy, so I asked what was up.   Elizabeth Hurley was appearing  as a spokesperson for a breast cancer event (might have been associated with a makeup company, I don't remember) -- so I decided to stick around since I was there anyhow.  It was crowded, and we awaited her arrival at the foot of the escalator.  :) My jaw dropped when I saw how elegant and gorgeous she was, she was truly radiant, well-spoken and poised.  Still smokin' hot -- she's not skinny -- but she rocked the dress she was wearing and the spike heels, too.  Yeesh.   Funny, but after I met her that day (I did buy something at the event) ever so briefly, I have liked her since, in a distant way.  She made a lasting impression on me.   

Now you are killing me here.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I was recently reminded of how bad the 80's were : Had a MASSIVE thing for Natalie, truly a beautiful woman with an incredible voice. Saw the Maniacs twice and her solo twice ... a terrific stage presence without being dominant. I met Susanna Hoffs once ... She shook my hand and I think I said something like "HADAMFANFHMUPH..." You seen her lately? She has aged extremely well.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Watch her shake it at 4:10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqP6bNRxFdk