Idiotic Censorship of Dire Straits

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Idiotic Censorship of Dire Straits

there are 2 songs with similar lyrics that get treated differently By radio sations.  They mute Alanis Morrisett signing, "going down on you" but don't mute Lou Reed singing, "even when she was giving head".  Seems kind of sexist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's important to consider the word's intent in this case. It was  not used to insult gay people. Knopfler's "character" in the song is an "ignornamus" (his word) who is jealous about rock and stars getting "money for nothing and chicks for free."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

There is an inherent danger in labeling words -- any words -- unacceptable.

I think it's clear enough from the context that the term is being used not as a slur against homosexuals but in the way young people of recent vintage might use the term deuschebag, but you'll never convince all those people who know better than we do what's best for us that language is flexible (even if a certain type of person is not).

In any case -- and in short -- censoring ostensible works of art because someone has decided that such-and-thus is to be "protected" is a slippery slope.

I still get annoyed whenever I hear "Funky kicks going down in the city" in Steve Miller's Jet Airliner.

Hey!

Teacher!

Leave them kids alone!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Censorship is like the volume control on your radio or T.V.

Turn it all the way to the right and it ruins your eardrums.

Turn it all the way to the left and you hear nothing.

It's all those lines in between that everyone can't agree on.

BDC allows the word here....your radio station doesn't tolerate it.

I used a word that starts with a bast*** in a thread the other day, not sure if it would be allowed ( it was)....I won't use it here, in case it offends someone. The way I used it on the other thread was to describe a person born to two parents who are not married. A perfectly proper use of the word.

If you go to a website known as urban dictionary, you will find many terms and phrases you have heard...but to some the meaning is quite different. People will always find a way around censorship by inventing new terms for things that are considered wrong , illegal or dirty. Whether male or female we all have body parts that are known by virtually dozens, maybe hundreds of names. If your last name is Johnson, you may not be able to use your name if the censorship meter is turned to far to the left or right!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Censorship is like the volume control on your radio or T.V.

Turn it all the way to the right and it ruins your eardrums.

Turn it all the way to the left and you hear nothing.

It's all those lines in between that everyone can't agree on.

BDC allows the word here....your radio station doesn't tolerate it.

I used a word that starts with a bast*** in a thread the other day, not sure if it would be allowed ( it was)....I won't use it here, in case it offends someone. The way I used it on the other thread was to describe a person born to two parents who are not married. A perfectly proper use of the word.

If you go to a website known as urban dictionary, you will find many terms and phrases you have heard...but to some the meaning is quite different. People will always find a way around censorship by inventing new terms for things that are considered wrong , illegal or dirty. Whether male or female we all have body parts that are known by virtually dozens, maybe hundreds of names. If your last name is Johnson, you may not be able to use your name if the censorship meter is turned to far to the left or right!

A senior member of the (ruling, rightist but not crazy) Conservative Party in Britain has recently been outspoken about his opposition to Gay Marriage.  I personally disagree with his view, but I don't think he's a Softy-like evil person....just a decent guy (I think) that I disagree with.  He's entitled to, and to espouse, his view.

He has recently been badly (verbally) abused in the streets by some that disagree with his view.  Not right and not fair, IMO.  Much worse, his children have been abused in school about his position.....totally wrong by anyone's standards, right?

The wonderful, hopeful, twist in the tale is that his poor little kids being abused at school about their father's view are being abused by other kids saying "your Dad's a homophobe".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

It's not relegated to Florida, it happens here in Mass too.

Pink has a new song "Blow Me One Last Kiss"

The lyric sounds something like "....a sheet day" (BDC wont allow the actual word)

Welcome to the world of political correctness - where your music is edited for you and it's illegal to buy a 28oz SODA in New York city!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

It's not relegated to Florida, it happens here in Mass too.

Pink has a new song "Blow Me One Last Kiss"

The lyric sounds something like "....a sheet day" (BDC wont allow the actual word)

Welcome to the world of political correctness - where your music is edited for you and it's illegal to buy a 28oz SODA in New York city!

That's when I really knew that all is lost -- that we all should just take our ball and go home.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

ZLX plays the unedited version of the Dire Straits song.I remember a song on The Final Cut by Pink Floyd" Not Now John" the song was littered with fbombs.WBCN would always play the unedited version.When I was down south florida for buisiness the classic rock station would edit god damned thing out of Life in the Fast Lane.9/11 had a lot to do with radio censorship.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I remember it in 1973 and it continues today with Punk Floyd's Money. The sh*t in word bullsh*t is still muted at times.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I find it interesting that in Pearl Jam's "Jeremy," the line "seemed a harmless  little f---" is often left uncensored on the radio. Reason being, I assume,  is the word doesn't refer to the actual act?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Who uses the word p o o p anyhow?   Just say crap.   It's allowed.   

Funny how there's the side of the "Disneyfied" world where all that's visual and verbal must be nice and happy, even when there was nothing wrong with the original.   I mean, did any of you have nightmares over Humpty Dumpty?  How much analysis does Humpty Dumpty need??  

" ...on CBeebies, the BBC's television service for small children, it altered the ending of Humpty Dumpty to make it a bit more upbeat."

You can't make this up.   The USA, the UK ... it's everywhere.   We can't handle the truth.  :)

("Decent Story-telling is being squeezed out by Mass Censorship")   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

All the more reason, it seems, to support indie, sat or hd radio to get unaltered, unedited music as it was more-or-less designed.  As it is, traditional radio is in enough 'dire straits' (groan) of its own not to attract ire and/or fines and decide to play it safe.

Much of radio now is the equivalent of muzak...robot-controlled and dumbed down for the masses with no appreciation for art or nuance in a real sense.  (that said, orlando is still a very strange place)

The whole thing drives me crazy with movies...to the point where I simply cannot watch a decent movie on basic cable without layers of context and language being slaughtered.  The ads make it even worse by extending the run time and ruining the pace and momentum.  

Can anyone else here watch 'Goodfellas' on regular TV...?  I simply can't do it because I love the film as it was intended.  (Give IFC beau coup credit for not cutting their films.)

Even odder still is the language prevalent on some tv shows (Archer...hello?) and thereby begging the question nobody thought to ask:

If the 'naughty words' are OK on 'South Park', then why not on 'Beerfest'...?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Bottom line is, if you want uncensored entertainment, you got to pay. Brings to mind the great NRBQ song, ""Ain't No Free", which is about a certain act of pleasure that is often censored in "free" entertainment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

All the more reason, it seems, to support indie, sat or hd radio to get unaltered, unedited music as it was more-or-less designed.  As it is, traditional radio is in enough 'dire straits' (groan) of its own not to attract ire and/or fines and decide to play it safe.

Much of radio now is the equivalent of muzak...robot-controlled and dumbed down for the masses with no appreciation for art or nuance in a real sense.  (that said, orlando is still a very strange place)

The whole thing drives me crazy with movies...to the point where I simply cannot watch a decent movie on basic cable without layers of context and language being slaughtered.  The ads make it even worse by extending the run time and ruining the pace and momentum.  

Can anyone else here watch 'Goodfellas' on regular TV...?  I simply can't do it because I love the film as it was intended.  (Give IFC beau coup credit for not cutting their films.)

Even odder still is the language prevalent on some tv shows (Archer...hello?) and thereby begging the question nobody thought to ask:

And yet the innuendo on free TV is worse than basic curse words. Watch shows like Two Broke Girls or Two and a Half Men, I am laughing hysterical at what I am seeing and hearing. And I won't start with the animated shows like Family Guy. Personally I think the time for censorship, at least as far as the English language is concerned should come to an end. There is no place for it.

I only recently found out that The Catholic Church somehow managed to kill any chance for a sequel to the movie, The Golden Compass. And as it is, the movie was watered down from the book.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

And yet the innuendo on free TV is worse than basic curse words. Watch shows like Two Broke Girls or Two and a Half Men, I am laughing hysterical at what I am seeing and hearing. And I won't start with the animated shows like Family Guy. Personally I think the time for censorship, at least as far as the English language is concerned should come to an end. There is no place for it.

I only recently found out that The Catholic Church somehow managed to kill any chance for a sequel to the movie, The Golden Compass. And as it is, the movie was watered down from the book.

But you see, for some people, it's a question of "morality" when bad words are used.  Thus the reason why half of our laws exist, for better or worse (mostly worse).

Oh, how I WISH the film version of The Golden Compass had been censored..!  What a freakin' travesty that POS movie was compared to the vision and imagination of the book(s).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

If the 'naughty words' are OK on 'South Park'

The "the night of a million sh!ts" eposide is apropo.....

Right?!  But somehow, if it's the equally brilliant South Park Movie, the words get cut?!  How does that make any sense...?!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Sometimes it's pretty funny when the bad word doesn't get bleeped out.  Like on the song 'Who Are You', when Roger says 'Who the f*** are you?', that usually seems to make it through.  Maybe because he says it fast and it's low in the mix, I don't know.  Yesterday I heard G n R's 'Mr. Brownstone' on the radio, and much to my surprise, the word motherf***** came through loud and clear.  Axl's delivery of the word is just slightly garbled so maybe that did the trick.