Idiotic Censorship of Dire Straits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Idiotic Censorship of Dire Straits

It's probably another discussion for another time, but this thread got me worked up all over again about how it's okay for the homosesxuals to usurp the term "gay" for their own purposes, but when teenagers further usurp the same term to mean "lame" (which has itself been usurped), I have to listen to Wanda Sykes telling me what horrible people they all are.

And 'round and 'round it goes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

It's probably another discussion for another time, but this thread got me worked up all over again about how it's okay for the homosesxuals to usurp the term "gay" for their own purposes, but when teenagers further usurp the same term to mean "lame" (which has itself been usurped), I have to listen to Wanda Sykes telling me what horrible people they all are.

And 'round and 'round it goes.

I read this twice.  Not sure what you're getting at or why.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Years ago Lenny Bruce and later George Carlin proved that words are just words.

i don't think they really proved this at all. This is a reductionist theory of language that in the end renders all words meaningless. Words do have meaning and even though context is important, words express the full gamut of human emotion from love to hate. Saying that words are just words does not do justice to the power of words and the harm or good that they can cause.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Years ago Lenny Bruce and later George Carlin proved that words are just words.

i don't think they really proved this at all. This is a reductionist theory of language that in the end renders all words meaningless. Words do have meaning and even though context is important, words express the full gamut of human emotion from love to hate. Saying that words are just words does not do justice to the power of words and the harm or good that they can cause.

I always saw it as more of a philosophical struggle between words/language and the various, often absurd euphemisms we manufacture to help distill our ideas and emotions into a context that people can digest easier.

Carlin's riff on the (de)evolution of "shell shock" to "post-traumatic stress disorder" is a classic example.

Sections
Shortcuts