If there was a musician or singer who didn't die prematurely....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: If there was a musician or singer who didn't die prematurely....

Stevie Ray, and Tommy Bolin 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Franz Schubert (1797-1828), who died at an even younger age than Mozart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Jeff Healey. I was lucky enough to see him live once and he blew me away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Elvis Presley and Jim Morrison.  Elvis was one of music's ultimate singers and entertainers.  Morrison was an extremely creative songwriter and was a very good baritone 2 lead singer as well.  Who knows what we may have missed by their lives passing too soon? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: If there was a musician or singer who didn't die prematurely....:
    Jeff Healey. I was lucky enough to see him live once and he blew me away.
    Posted by devildavid

Yes, good call.  I also saw him play live early in his career and he was fantastic.  Jeff was a huge talent and a great guy.  The hand that fate dealt him was very cruel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

It would have been cool to see what Zeppelin would have done through the 80's had Bonham not died.

Buddy Holly

Kurt Cobain

John Lennon

Janis Joplin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

jeff buckley

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Eva Cassidy

Warren Zevon

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Elliott Smith

Mark Sandman

Nick Drake (at 26...!!)

Brian Jones

And the ultimate loss (after Jimi): Bob Marley

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Duane Allman
    Terry Kath
    Harry Chapin
    Jim Croce
    Marvin Gaye

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon are the obvious ones to me. The more research I do, the more I am convinced that Jimi would have collaborated with the members of ELP. The same for Lennon. In interviews with those behind the scene, it seems apparent that Lennon and McCartney would have reunited, at least to write.

Although I am not a Cobain fanatic, I think he had more to say. The same with Layce Stanley of Alice in Chains.

Buddy Holly, Healey, Lynryrd Skynryd boys, Duane Allman, SRV, Bon Scott, Dimebag Darrell of Pantera, Cliff Burnett of Metallicaand many others listed.

Then there is Ian Curtis of Joy Division, Ritchie Valens.

I want to add Selena - she may not have been a rocker but she had some serious talent.

But I want to add a few others that are not really known as songwriters but impacted the writers they played with:

Paul Kossoff - Free
    Keith Moon - The Who
    John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
    Steve Clark - Def Leppard

OK - there it is - so many.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Robert Johnson.  Sold his soul at the crossroads then died after recording only 29 songs.

Now Buddy Holly is another one he was I think only 23 when he died.

For what its worth the only one that died and made me actually mad that he died was SRV.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I know that if Tommy Bolin was alive today he would be one of the reigning guitar gods.  If not a commercial superstar he would at least have the cult status of a Jeff Beck.   At his death at 25 he had been good enough to be invited to play on albums with Billy Cobham, the James Gang and Deep Purple.  His solo albums Private Eyes and Teaser were first-rate.  Not only a brilliant guitar player but a pretty sophisticated songwriter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: If there was a musician or singer who didn't die prematurely....:
    Robert Johnson.  Sold his soul at the crossroads then died after recording only 29 songs. Now Buddy Holly is another one he was I think only 23 when he died. For what its worth the only one that died and made me actually mad that he died was SRV.
    Posted by shumirules
    Very good mentioning blues guys Johnson and rocker, Vaughn.  Holly was great at rockabilly and love songs .  If possible, I would like to read a little more on this forum about Blues and Jazz.  I mean, we can only post about what we know.  But I have to believe there is a little more knowledge out there about these two genres.  My two musicians for "died prematurely" are: Otis Redding (Blues) and Clifford Brown (Jazz).  The latter was absolutely fabulous on the trumpet.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: If there was a musician or singer who didn't die prematurely.... : Very good mentioning blues guy s Johnson and rocker, Vaughn.  Holly was great at rockabilly and love songs .  If possible, I would like to read a little more on this forum about Blues and Jazz.  I mean, we can only post about what we know.  But I have to believe there is a little more knowledge out there about these two genres.  My two musicians for "died prematurely" are: Otis Redding (Blues) and Clifford Brown (Jazz).  The latter was absolutely fabulous on the trumpet.  
    Posted by cavaliersfan

Good choice Cavs. Otis had a serious voice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As an add-on; do due their own demons, we lost David Ruffin, Paul Smith and Eddie Kendricks too soon. This band was amazing.

Temptations rule

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Any votes for Sid Viscious?

I didn't think so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Any votes for Sid Viscious? I didn't think so.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zilla I think there are some artists who died prematurely who you look at a little differently, or at least I do.  I think it's unfortunate that they died so young, but it somehow doesn't seem tragic.  It's like they set a deliberate course of self-destruction for themselves, so the early death was inevitable.  For me this would include names like Jim Morrison, Phil Lynott, Sid Vicious, Kurt Cobain and others.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Did I forget to mention Freddie Mercury?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Eva Cassidy Warren Zevon
    Posted by yogafriend

A-freakin'-men!!! It's a crime that Eva didn't get the attention she deserves until her death. Her version of "Somewhere Under the Rainbow" is incredible. And "Fields of Gold," which I believe Michelle Kwan skated to in the Olympics. And everything, really. (BTW, rumor has it they're making a move of her life).

And Zevon ... where do I begin?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So many great answers, but the one I always think of is Buddy Holly. Nobody wrote, produced, and performed his own songs in those days. He used overdubbing, which was practically unheard of back then.

He influenced Dylan, the Beatles, Springsteen, and countless others. And the truly amazing thing is, his career lasted only 18 months and he was 22 when he died.

I honestly believe that had Holly not died so early, the Beatles and the "British Invasion" would have been far less dramatic. And this comes from a die-hard Beatlemaniac.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Mama Cass Elliot was a very good singer for the Mamas And Papas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My list. Many have already been mentioned. (No particular order)

Robert Johnson
    Buddy Holly
    Jim Morrison
    Ronnie Van Zandt (sp?) and the others from Skynyrd
    Elvis
    John Lennon
    Freddy Mercury
    Jim Croce
    Harry Chapin
    John Bonham because it broke up Zeppelin
    Duane Allman
    Randy Rhodes
    Cass Elliott

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

So many great answers, but the one I always think of is Buddy Holly. Nobody wrote, produced, and performed his own songs in those days. He used overdubbing, which was practically unheard of back then. He influenced Dylan, the Beatles, Springsteen, and countless others. And the truly amazing thing is, his career lasted only 18 months and he was 22 when he died. I honestly believe that had Holly not died so early, the Beatles and the "British Invasion" would have been far less dramatic. And this comes from a die-hard Beatlemaniac.
    Posted by LloydDobler

I second this. Holly was a genius. It amazes me how much he accomplished in so short a time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Ronald "Pigpen" McKernan lived 28 years.  1945–1973.  

The Grateful Dead's best versions of "Turn on your Lovelight" and "Hard to Handle" were sung by Pigpen. 

Too bad he couldn't stop drinking that Thunderbird wine

Sections
Shortcuts