If/when you have a daughter, and she's into music....who would you like her to aspire to be / emulate / "equal"? Why? And who not?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Proud?  Incomplete list, in no order, but would be so proud of:

• Chrissie Hynde
    • Poison Ivy Rorchach
    • Kim Deal
    • Kristen Hersh
    • Texas Terri Laird

Might not be totally ashamed of, but far from proud of:

• Maradona
    • The spreadeagled song buyer in leather pants during the Super Bowl Half time show

• To me, there are three types of people in the world:
    • Feminists (People that think women should have the same opportunities socially, economically, politically and in every other way to men)
    • People that don't understand the meaning of the word "Feminist".
    • Misogynists (people that hate women)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: If/when you have a daughter, and she's into music....who would you like her to aspire to be / emulate /

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) for me I will never have a daughter. My feelings about this are a strange mixture of regret and relief.

But...if I have to choose....Alison Krauss seems like a good one. I don't know anything about her personal life, but as a performer she exhibits grace, modesty, and artistry. I think she genuinely loves music and performs because of that love.

I wouldn't want her to emulate Wendy O. Williams of The Plasmatics, just because.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: If/when you have a daughter, and she's into music....who would you like her to aspire to be / emulate /

Pat Benatar might be a good choice. Great voice, sexy w/o being lude or prancing around half naked, and even though she had a failed first marriage when she was young, she ended up in a long and apparently successful marriage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

As an artist, I would hope she has the artistic wherewithal and creative freedom of:

Joni Mitchell

Laurie Anderson

(I'm cheating here. My daughter is/was always very artistic, although, like her dad, she now works in IT.  Our musical tastes overlap quite a bit, but she likes more of the avant garde/electronic stuff...hence Anderson.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There are much more than 3 types of people in the world.

I am at least 4 all by myself.

Cynic, Couch potato ( during baseball season for about 4 hours a night) , tireless worker okay, so I am somewhat of a fibber , too) and Left Lane Vigilante. I am certainly not a feminist...I feel that term refers more less only to women, although I believe women should have a chance at MOST things, playing pro football and working construction should be men's jobs and working the Lingerie dept. at J.C. Penney and selling ladies perfume should undoubtedly be a women's occupation) although, I know opinions will vary on this one). I do understand the meaning of Feminist, but really don't want to be called one, somehow, it just doesn't sound right to call a man a "feminist." I am not the last one 'cause I certainly do not hate women....there are some I hate though....but there are guys I hate too. Mostly I reserve my hate for bad music, Boy Band crapolla and modern pop garbage, Disco, Captain and Tenille, and Tony Orlando and Dawn.

I will never have a daughter, but if she existed and didn't like music, I would have to get her into some kind of institution, because people who do not like music are possessed by the devil or just plum crazy. I would want her to listen to whatever she likes, and if she chose to perform music, I would want her to be herself and don't be trendy and copy someone else, as in Lady Gaga aping the Madonna routine on steroids.

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Proud?  Incomplete list, in no order, but would be so proud of:

• Chrissie Hynde
    • Poison Ivy Rorchach
    • Kim Deal
    • Kristen Hersh
    • Texas Terri Laird

My daughter is a fan of these folks which is great. She is pretty much anti Taylor Swift which for me is also great

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have a 17-year old daughter who is very into music-singing, playing keyboards & writing.  I posed the question to her as to who she thought of as someone she would like to emulate.

She said Skylar Gray. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I have a 17-year old daughter who is very into music-singing, playing keyboards & writing.  I posed the question to her as to who she thought of as someone she would like to emulate.

She said Skylar Gray. 

Nut',  Skylar Grey kicks a$$...she's on Eminem's label...she's talented...co-wrote the Eminem/Rihanna song "Love The Way You Lie"... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

She said Skylar Gray. 

"Coming Home" was one of my favorite songs for a while.  I love sampling, and it was done to full effect in the song.  

I also connect the song to a contemporary dance that I saw performed to it,  which was so breathtaking, most of the audience was in tears.   The choreography and execution by the dancers were jaw dropping. 

Anyhow, no offense to anyone else who responded here, it's all good, but you (as always, the voice of reason) responded without putting your own ego into the equation.   Nice going.  =)

Sections
Shortcuts