If you give a Cr@p, and you probably don't, but just in case.....the top Rock'n'roll bands in London are generally considered to include:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

If encouraged I'll mention some more, if not, I'll STFU.  :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Why?

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry to say it, but the "probably don't" part hits the nail squarely on tha head.

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry to say it, but the "probably don't" part hits the nail squarely on tha head.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Zilla....please send me a postcard from 1970s rock.....with a suggestion of....anything.  :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Zilla....please send me a postcard from 1970s rock.....with a suggestion of....anything.  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Why?

Thanks for asking.  Why, are they all considered, IMO, to be the top here, which is all I wrote?:

• The Jim Jones Review should be obvious, IMO.  He/they now are among the tiny minority of fully professional bands....they tour constantly, they've been on American TV like Letterman and other such things.  Virtually every person on this board would love the JJR.  Jim's 90's band, Thee Hypnotics, on Sub Pop, was a huge favourite of mine...but it's a bit scene-y so it's not surprising they didn't crack it.  The JJR, is a pure 50s, screaming, Little Richard riot...one of the best live bands in the world.
    • Thee Spivs: I've written before, IMO the Clash were the voice of 1970s London, the Spivs are the voice of contemporary London.
    • Love Triangle?:  Have had their debut 7" for ages, it's great.  Saw them for the first in ages this time a week ago (git player lives in Berlin so they can't gig here much)...brilliant.  New album out, we wanted to do it but there are limits in our little world.
    • MFC Chicken?:  Simply brilliant.  4/5 piece (genius keyboard player Parsley can't always join them) playing early 60s Pacific Northwest Frat Rock.  You say "that's typical micro-rock bs"!  I say it's the brilliant, forgotten missing like of rock'n'roll....I only know of 2 bands that do it:  The Orangutones and MFC Chicken.  Here's a simple, amateur video of MFC Chicken at a festival in Spain a few months ago:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGn_-aSb48U

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Why?

Thanks for asking.  Why, are they all considered, IMO, to be the top here, which is all I wrote?:

• The Jim Jones Review should be obvious, IMO.  He/they now are among the tiny minority of fully professional bands....they tour constantly, they've been on American TV like Letterman and other such things.  Virtually every person on this board would love the JJR.  Jim's 90's band, Thee Hypnotics, on Sub Pop, was a huge favourite of mine...but it's a bit scene-y so it's not surprising they didn't crack it.  The JJR, is a pure 50s, screaming, Little Richard riot...one of the best live bands in the world.
    • Thee Spivs: I've written before, IMO the Clash were the voice of 1970s London, the Spivs are the voice of contemporary London.
    • Love Triangle?:  Have had their debut 7" for ages, it's great.  Saw them for the first in ages this time a week ago (git player lives in Berlin so they can't gig here much)...brilliant.  New album out, we wanted to do it but there are limits in our little world.
    • MFC Chicken?:  Simply brilliant.  4/5 piece (genius keyboard player Parsley can't always join them) playing early 60s Pacific Northwest Frat Rock.  You say "that's typical micro-rock bs"!  I say it's the brilliant, forgotten missing like of rock'n'roll....I only know of 2 bands that do it:  The Orangutones and MFC Chicken.  Here's a simple, amateur video of MFC Chicken at a festival in Spain a few months ago:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGn_-aSb48U

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Why?

Jim Jones Review is not obvious to me. Never heard of them. I do love 50's rock but it really doesn't mean I will enjoy JJR. Sometimes something gets lost in the translation. I tend to find that certain musical genres had certain limited times in history when they were at their peak and were never again duplicated. There is nothing wrong with today's performers using elements from past times but it doesn't usually follow that I will enjoy their music. Now granted, I'm saying this without listening to one JJR song. I will have to give them a listen and get back to you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Hiccup

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Smile....we have so much fun here, don't we?

It's all in fun, you baited the trap with the title of the thread and I couldn't resist.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Progress report: Did a quick check on YouTube of the Jim Jones Revue. They definitely capture some of the great 50's rock sounds that I enjoy. I'd probably enjoy seeing them live. The singing is not so great for me, but the band can really heat things up. I'll have to explore further to see what I think of their original songs.

-Elvis Presley

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If encouraged I'll mention some more.  :-)

Ready for my review?    =)   

They're *all* mighty good.   I wouldn't give a thumbs down to any of them, by any measure, but my absolute fave is MFC Chicken -- I *love* the horns.    Timeless fun, great musicianship; LIVE they must set the house on fire.   

BTW, you posted MFC Chicken twice, and no Spivs, but I saw a Spivs song on the margin, so I listened to it, and they're my second runner-up.   They're all that you say in your description.  This is the Thee Spivs song I checked out:

Taped Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6RtiAmyoT8   

Jim Jones and the Love Triangle are both hot, too (and I can see why our friend "dee dee" liked Jim Jones).   

If this is what's trending in London for "new" music, I can see why you get pumped up about it.    THANKS.   

PS If you want to post a few more, go right ahead.    Zilla's post card will arrive to you soon by special delivery ... Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

...  it's Friday the 13th.  That must have been the reason ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

From no posts to three?   Sorry.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Smile....we have so much fun here, don't we?

It's all in fun, you baited the trap with the title of the thread and I couldn't resist.

Phew....just back tonight.....glad and unsurprised you were no more offended than I was about our goofy jousting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Progress report: Did a quick check on YouTube of the Jim Jones Revue. They definitely capture some of the great 50's rock sounds that I enjoy. I'd probably enjoy seeing them live. The singing is not so great for me, but the band can really heat things up. I'll have to explore further to see what I think of their original songs.

-Elvis Presley

That's almost exactly my view.  Jim's voice is not brilliant, IMO, but it's good enough and very powerful.  I like them on records...but live they are incredibly exciting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

If encouraged I'll mention some more.  :-)

Ready for my review?    =)   

They're *all* mighty good.   I wouldn't give a thumbs down to any of them, by any measure, but my absolute fave is MFC Chicken -- I *love* the horns.    Timeless fun, great musicianship; LIVE they must set the house on fire.   

BTW, you posted MFC Chicken twice, and no Spivs, but I saw a Spivs song on the margin, so I listened to it, and they're my second runner-up.   They're all that you say in your description.  This is the Thee Spivs song I checked out:

Taped Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6RtiAmyoT8   

Jim Jones and the Love Triangle are both hot, too (and I can see why our friend "dee dee" liked Jim Jones).   

If this is what's trending in London for "new" music, I can see why you get pumped up about it.    THANKS.   

PS If you want to post a few more, go right ahead.    Zilla's post card will arrive to you soon by special delivery ... Cool

MFC Chicken are my favourite of the bunch too.  "Timeless" is exactly right.....fun, party music.  I see them play a lot and it's no exaggeration to say there are people from age 16 to 70+ at all their gigs.....Hipsters, Punks, Mods, every tribe....even old guys like me in jeans and t-shirts.  Everyone dances and laughs.  And they are songwriting machines at the moment. "Pocahontas" is their latest and greatest.  This is a vid from last Sunday night:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sRRzba4IY

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

BTW.....since my last appearance here I saw Love Triangle play again.  De Poota Madre, it blew me away.

Sections
Shortcuts