In celebration of Doomsday, before we go ...a final band ID

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In celebration of Doomsday, before we go ...a final band ID

Haven't done a band ID in a while, and am itchin' to discuss this band, so here goes nothin'.  

Clues:

American

Lineup changes started almost immediately,  but the focus has always been on three key members.   

Debut album was not a hit, but over the years, it has sold a million copies.

Their second album was a huge commercial success, and while you will rarely, if ever, hear of them in a conversation about Grammy awards, they won two; best rock performance by a group, and best rock song, both awards for the same song.   They also won best video on VH1, that clocked in during the same timeframe, the late nineties.

The lead singer has also had a solo career.   His success is 100 percent his own ... but it would have been easier to get it another way.    He didn't.    :)    He's earned it.  

They have gone on hiatus a couple of times.   Each member of this band has an impressive resume.  The keyboard player has played / done projects with Foo Fighters, Pete Yorn, Soul Asylum and Pearl Jam; the bass player is a steadfast member of the band; the current drummer is a founding member of RHCP, a former drummer with Pearl Jam and Eleven, and has worked with Joe Strummer.  

They released a their 6th studio album in 2012, 7-years since their last studio release.   It's a stunner.   Two of the songs on that album have become instant hits.   

There is a clue that would give this away in an instant.   But someone will probably get it without that clue.    

ID the band.     They are at the intersection of classic and modern, BTW; maybe that's a clue right there.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: In celebration of Doomsday, before we go ...a final band ID

Okay, since tomorrow is 12-21-12, I will divulge the big clue for this band:

Band founded in 1989 / 1990.

There was a British band by the same name, denoted by (UK) following the name.   

The lead singer's father is a living legend in music, inestimable in stature, and yet, this band has a wide enough fan base that it's been said, and is likely,  that many of his fans don't know who his father is.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Hmmm... must be The Wallflowers - I definitely didn't realize they'd been around quite that long!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

Hmmm... must be The Wallflowers - I definitely didn't realize they'd been around quite that long!

Nice, gerbs.    They have been on hiatus for periods of time that make the timeframe deceiving.    Their latest 2012 release is their first in a long while, so it was met with great enthusiasm by long-standing fans.

Wondering if anyone has any opinion about the band or Jakob Dylan?   I find his voice intriguing and unique, and like it quite a bit.   

In creating this thread, I saw that the Wallflowers will be touring with Eric Clapton in 2013, and as a matter of coincidental timing, they are appearing in western MA at the end of December.   

Here's one of their most well-known songsm "One Headlight";  I'd be surprised if you didn't recognize it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIasfqlO1k

Here's one of the hits from their new album (album name is "Glad All Over") -- entitled "Love is A Country")  -- isn't it nice?   It's getting lots of airplay, so some of you may have heard it in the recent 2 months or so.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QurwXR_Qq5g

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I had no idea the answer to this.  The only clue I got was Jack Irons because of the Pearl Jam and RHCP connection. I like the Wallflowers, One Headlight was a good song. Their first three albums, especially Breach were good.  I think a lot of folks tuned in to them initially because of the Dylan connection, hoping to hear some similarities, and that probably led to higher expectations. I lost track of them after Red Letter Days and I found alot of their later stuff to be boring. The new tracks sound good though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

I had no idea the answer to this.  The only clue I got was Jack Irons because of the Pearl Jam and RHCP connection. I like the Wallflowers, One Headlight was a good song. Their first three albums, especially Breach were good.  I think a lot of folks tuned in to them initially because of the Dylan connection, hoping to hear some similarities, and that probably led to higher expectations. I lost track of them after Red Letter Days and I found alot of their later stuff to be boring. The new tracks sound good though. 

I'm never sure who's around (sorry to dash any notions that I am psychic :) ) , but I thought this would have been a gimme for you.   Then gerbs got it last night.   

I have no idea how far under the radar Dylan has really managed to stay, but it seems on the surface, he's done a pretty good job of it, considering how hard it has to have been to conceal who his famous father is ... yeesh.  Can you imagine?   But the younger Dylan can really sing -- so that sets him apart right there.  :)

Red Letter Days has a beautiful song on it, "Closer to You" -- but it's on the collected hits, which might be the way to go for someone like me.    I also liked their cover version of "Heroes" but understand that most (or many) people prefer Bowie's original.   I'm happy if the Wallflowers have a surge of success off of their new album.   Man, I love the song I posted; it's so good.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I'm still here!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

I'm still here!

Good to know, buddy.  I think you have the wrong thread, but either way ... and as long as you're here, you should check out this band.  I was thinking of you, in fact, because of the lead singer.   HA HA.   Check him out and see if he sounds or looks familiar to you.   

There are a couple of links to songs in one of my above posts.   Listen and report back.   :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I hadn't realized there is another Clash link - apart from the drummer that "jammed with the mighty Joe Strummer", Mick Jones played on a couple of tracks on the new album.  And it might be just me, but the sound of "Reboot the Mission" reminds me of "The Magnificent Seven".

Merry Christmas to all!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks, gerbs. 

I was just about to update this thread.  :)  

In a "Missed Hits: 2012's best overlooked albums" list I read this morning, I was very happy to see the Wallflowers' new album is on the list.

See, what did I tell you all?  :)   Just a friendly PSA to learn about an album that you might not have heard about elsewhere.    Here's the writeup, (and another plug):

Glad All Over

"After a seven-year recording hiatus, during which Jakob Dylan pursued a solo career and many of the band members fanned out to work with others, the gang reconvened. With help from producer Jay Joyce (Eric Church, Emmylou Harris) and Mick Jones of the Clash, and former Red Hot Chili Pepper Jack Irons on drums, “Glad” offers the band doing what it does best, straight-up rock ’n’ roll with rootsy flourishes."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Why would we "celebrate" Doomsday?

I've been away for awhile consulting and negotiiating with various important people about some very important matters. I mentioned to the descendents of Mayans ( and they are tough to find, their are so few!) that the world simply cannot come to an end just yet, I have lots of important stuff on my schedule that just has to be done ( none of it has anyhting to do with the holidays). Well, you can thank me for getting us an extension. The Mayans have agreed to stop using their calendar and start using ours. They agreed to this at about 4:14 on Dec. 20. You won't hear or read about it as it was very hush-hush and no media was allowed.

I am hoping to meet with Obama and John Boehner, but it seems they have all gone off for the Holiday. The Mayans have given me some advice as to how we can fix this "fiscal cliff"mess in our country...hey, believe it or not, they don't want the world to end either....they've got Rolling Stones tickets and have never seen them live!

Sections
Shortcuts