In Defense Of The 2000s...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Defense Of The 2000s...

Sorry, folks, but the music snob in me just couldn't let it slide.  Among mostly excellent choices in the 'album of the decade' thread was a slight undercurrent of resentment for our recently expired decade, the aughts (2000-2009).  I understand if some might view it as more of a generational thing, and while I have deep respect for experience and an undying weakness for the classics, there was a lot of great, genre-busting music produced in that decade that deserves both mention and listen.

After all, last decade was a transitive one for both the music industry and music in general.  With the huge popularity of downloadable, high quality digital music, mp3 players, iTunes, Napster, Limewire and social networking, more music than ever has been available with only a mouse click.  Some might say it's when indie went mainstream.  I'm more of the opinion that "mainstream" has been shattered beyond repair (and thank goodness for that...!). 

Ironically, there was also an upsurge in popularity for classic rock as a result of re-releases, re-masterings, and exposure through video games like guitar hero and rock band.  Even long out-of-print records and obscure artists are getting their due, finally, while special recordingas and concerts are more available than ever. 

So, here is my not-nearly-complete kick-off list of great rock/pop artists who emerged and/or created some brilliant, exciting, original music in the last decade.  Feel free to add or edit as you see fit:

The Flaming Lips, The White Stripes, My Morning Jacket, Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens, The Black Keys, The Shins, Death Cab For Cutie, Kings Of Leon, The Strokes, Gov't Mule, Franz Ferdinand, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Ben Harper, Modest Mouse, Wilco, Queens Of The Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Outkast, Eminem, The Roots, Jurassic 5, Audioslave, Jack Johnson, Fleet Foxes, Sleater-Kinney, TV On The Radio, MGMT, Interpol, Muse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Silversun Pickups, Deer Tick, Velvet Revolver, Norah Jones, Devendra Banheart, Robert Randolph, Regina Spektor, Bright Eyes, Guster, Gomez, The National, Grizzly Bear, Band Of Horses, Monsters Of Folk, Mike Doughty, Ray Lamontagne, Rilo Kiley, Cat Power, Scissor Sisters, Doves, The Bravery, Arcade Fire, Frightened Rabbit, The Head And The Heart, LCD Soundsystem, Of Montreal, Super Furry Animals, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, At The Drive-In, The Mars Volta, Secret Machines, Broken Social Scene, Fall Out Boy, Sparklehorse, Wolf Parade, Bon Iver, System Of A Down, etc, etc....(whew!)

(Note: I didn't mention the many specific outstanding 00s-era releases from previous legends and assorted stars, (Neil Young's "Prairie Wind", Beck's "Sea Change", et al) but by all means, go for it...!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: In Defense Of The 2000s...

Well Said, and great selections. (for the most part.... I really dislike Robert Randolph though) (and there are some I have not heard)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to In Defense Of The 2000s...:
    Sorry, folks, but the music snob in me just couldn't let it slide.  Among mostly excellent choices in the 'album of the decade' thread was a slight undercurrent of resentment for our recently expired decade, the aughts (2000-2009).  I understand if some might view it as more of a generational thing, and while I have deep respect for experience and an undying weakness for the classics, there was a lot of great, genre-busting music produced in that decade that deserves both mention and listen. After all, last decade was a transitive one for both the music industry and music in general.  With the huge popularity of downloadable, high quality digital music, mp3 players, iTunes, Napster, Limewire and social networking, more music than ever has been available with only a mouse click.  Some might say it's when indie went mainstream.  I'm more of the opinion that "mainstream" has been shattered beyond repair (and thank goodness for that...!).  Ironically, there was also an upsurge in popularity for classic rock as a result of re-releases, re-masterings, and exposure through video games like guitar hero and rock band.  Even long out-of-print records and obscure artists are getting their due, finally, while special recordingas and concerts are more available than ever.  So, here is my not-nearly-complete kick-off list of great rock/pop artists who emerged and/or created some brilliant, exciting, original music in the last decade.  Feel free to add or edit as you see fit: The Flaming Lips, The White Stripes, My Morning Jacket, Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens, The Black Keys, The Shins, Death Cab For Cutie, Kings Of Leon, The Strokes, Gov't Mule, Franz Ferdinand, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Ben Harper, Modest Mouse, Wilco, Queens Of The Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Outkast, Eminem, The Roots, Jurassic 5, Audioslave, Jack Johnson, Fleet Foxes, Sleater-Kinney, TV On The Radio, MGMT, Interpol, Muse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Silversun Pickups, Deer Tick, Velvet Revolver, Norah Jones, Devendra Banheart, Robert Randolph, Regina Spektor, Bright Eyes, Guster, Gomez, The National, Grizzly Bear, Band Of Horses, Monsters Of Folk, Mike Doughty, Ray Lamontagne, Rilo Kiley, Cat Power, Scissor Sisters, Doves, The Bravery, Arcade Fire, Frightened Rabbit, The Head And The Heart, LCD Soundsystem, Of Montreal, Super Furry Animals, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, At The Drive-In, The Mars Volta, Secret Machines, Broken Social Scene, Fall Out Boy, Sparklehorse, Wolf Parade, Bon Iver, System Of A Down, etc, etc....(whew!) (Note: I didn't mention the many specific outstanding 00s-era releases from previous legends and assorted stars, (Neil Young's "Prairie Wind", Beck's "Sea Change", et al) but by all means, go for it...!)
    Posted by MattyScornD

Music does go on...but it still is the weakest of the last five by far. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I love Jack White and the White Stripes.  Here is a guy who is totally steeped in great musical influences and who pays respect to those influences but also tries to create stuff that's original...and he pulls it off.  Anyone who hasn't seen it should check out 'It Might Get Loud' with White, Jimmy Page and The Edge...great stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s...:
    In Response to In Defense Of The 2000s... : Music does go on...but it still is the weakest of the last five by far. 
    Posted by newman09

Of the 60s and 70s, no contest. 

Of the 80s and 90s...it may be closer than we think, especially due to the decline of radio.

Forum..??  What do you think...??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to In Defense Of The 2000s... : Music does go on...but it still is the weakest of the last five by far. 
    Posted by newman09

i feel like you have a lot of catching up to do, my friend. a LOT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

There is a lot of really good music being produced.  It's just not getting to the masses. (I have said this before). Corporate radio has limited what you will hear and it's a shame

PS. Add Sigur Ros & The Strokes please

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : i feel like you have a lot of catching up to do, my friend. a LOT.
    Posted by phsmith8

Iv'e mentiond this before, I have been in the marketing side of the business for over a decade now, and music history and evaluation gets talked about a lot at work. Trust me I have no catching up to do!   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i was waiting for this rebuttal thread.
    it truly saddens me that multiple people on the forum consider american idiot to be the best of the aughts (great vocab, matty. i haven't heard that word since i watched the music man when i was about 8).

radiohead - kid A (holy conceptual innovation, batman!)
                  - In Rainbows

Sufjan Stevens - (Come On, Feel the) Illinois(e) 
                         - Seven Swans

Muse - Origin of Symmetry ( actually think its late 90's but spectacular)
            - Absolution

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News (perfect album)

Sigur Ros - Aegytis Bryn (i know i butchered that spelling...NY Batteri <3)

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

The Mars Volta - Francis the Mute

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (beats are great, lyricism will forever be unmatched...regardless of the subject matter)

Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below (great double disc, one for each member)

Band of Horses - Infinite Arms

Kanye West - College Dropout (pre-egomaniac, great beats and phenomenal production, playful verses)

american idiot is a painful recycling of their older material with new lyrics to appeal to the angst of the younger generation. it's crass, and from someone whos first purhcased cassette was dookie (their amazing debut), it really made me upset. also, not into men over 40 wearing makeup and dressing like (american) idiots.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : Iv'e mentiond this before, I have been in the marketing side of the business for over a decade now, and music history and evaluation gets talked about a lot at work. Trust me I have no catching up to do!   
    Posted by newman09

my apologies, but the 00's isn't really music history yet...and there is a lot of really good stuff in there that one normally wouldn't come across without a bit of searching.

i guess we just have different taste. but worse than the 80's? dunno about that

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Please no apologies...Taste is everything! IMO the 80's has it over the 00's. The 80's get bashed for it's eccentric pop, but still lots of good bands/acts and albums came out of the 80's. I feel the 00's is more niche, lot's of talented musicians ad song writers with great songs. Album wise I feel it's behind the previous decades. Maybe adding "by far" was a bit over sated. Again just my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

10-4 buddy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Thanks so much for letting me know how out of touch I have become lately!

I do like Gov't Mule a whole lot, but sadly I am just not familiar with many of the others.

I am becoming old and stubborn. I look at my CD collection and I have come to the unsettling conclusion that I will not live long enough to listen to all of the great artists of which I have collected music as much I would like to.  I do not have the time or the spare change anymore to keep accumulating more music , but really I would rather spend more quality time with old friends like Robin Trower, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Ozzie, Paul Rodgers, John, Paul, George and Ringo, Ray Davies , Jeff Beck, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Lydon, Morrissey, Elvis Costello, etc. etc. etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I am becoming old and stubborn. I look at my CD collection and I have come to the unsettling conclusion that I will not live long enough to listen to all of the great artists of which I have collected music as much I would like to.  I do not have the time or the spare change anymore to keep accumulating more music , but really I would rather spend more quality time with old friends like Robin Trower, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Ozzie, Paul Rodgers, John, Paul, George and Ringo, Ray Davies , Jeff Beck, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Lydon, Morrissey, Elvis Costello, etc. etc. etc.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I'm somewhat in the same boat.  For me the word I keep coming back to is 'saturated'.  My brain has been saturated over the years with music and it feels like there's very little room left for more water in the sponge.

I still listen to a lot of new music, but the lists of artists popping up here that I've never heard of is overwhelming.  I just can't get to them.

On a more philosophical note, I wonder sometimes if it's possible for me to hear anything I haven't already heard.  Is music a finite resource?  Do we reach a point where every possible combination of notes and rhythms and textures has been used?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : Of the 60s and 70s, no contest.  Of the 80s and 90s...it may be closer than we think, especially due to the decline of radio. Forum..??  What do you think...??
    Posted by MattyScornD

Ok, just my take.  We've discussed this before, but it keeps coming back to the discussion: searching mechanisms for new music.  The radio is dead for the mostpart.  But IMHO, it's been in decline for well over 10-15 years, so that's not news.  Music stores are in decline, the place you used to go, similar to a bookstore, just to browse.  We've been doing that online now since before the decline of the radio, but has it ever been the same?  Yes and no, depends on who you ask!

So what's the reason for the lack of interest, enthusiasm, and energy behind the new music of the past 10 plus years?  Does the generation you're in play a part in that?  It does up to a point.  Is it partly that the music doesn't "speak" to you the way it used to?  Is it all derivative?   Or can you just say you don't like it, and that's all you need to say?!  No argument from me on that, as long as you've at least tried to find some new music and can say that none of it has appealed to you. 

With all due respect, Matty,  a bunch of the bands in your list were not bands formed in the aughts  (Radiohead, Wilco, Sleater Kinney, Muse, Guster,etc., and yes you did say emerged OR created) but have made killer releases in the aughts, so I am wondering if perhaps it's also a matter of staying power, I mean, not feeling you can scream too loud about a new artist because for all you know, they'll just go bust after their first release?  I think I know of more "new" music that I think I do, but I've waited to get praiseworthy about it, and certainly to purchase it.  I bought my first Wilco CD a long time ago, but didn't really think they were that great until a long time later, if you see what I mean.  Seems crazy to me now, but who knew?

In my own snobby head, and I've said this before, I haven't followed true mainstream music for a very long time, and the only reason I even know any Lady Gaga songs is because of the music used in cardio/fitness classes that I take.  But I also got to know the Kings of Leon that way.

Full disclosure: I've had lots and LOTS of friends (significant and other-wise) who have given me so much in the way of exposure to (new) music.  I've hung out with people who are obsessed with music and some who make their living at it.  I know I would not even own some of the music I own (and love) if it were not for them.

And finally, yeah, I like some of that ethereal "yoga" type music (not enya) so I have spent some of my time discovering that, too.  
    Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : I'm somewhat in the same boat.  For me the word I keep coming back to is 'saturated'.  My brain has been saturated over the years with music and it feels like there's very little room left for more water in the sponge. I still listen to a lot of new music, but the lists of artists popping up here that I've never heard of is overwhelming.  I just can't get to them. On a more philosophical note, I wonder sometimes if it's possible for me to hear anything I haven't already heard.  Is music a finite resource?  Do we reach a point where every possible combination of notes and rhythms and textures has been used?
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Hfx,
    Don't you ask your teenage daughter for suggestions? 

But seriously, what you said about the saturation point and the difficulty to feel like you are hearing something for the first time -- it does get more and more difficult, because if you combine that with your general taste in music, knowing or feeling your likes and dislikes, you might dismiss something that is just outside your "general taste zone" and not know what you're missing. 

I have not reached that saturation point just yet, but I do know this: listening to music, and learning about it is one thing, but having it mean something is quite another.   And I do think that as we go through life, the ability for (new) music to take on meaning does feel different, and is perhaps, more difficult to define.  

We are listening to it because we enjoy it and like it, but not because it's ripping our guts out with emotion. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : Ok, just my take.  We've discussed this before, but it keeps coming back to the discussion: searching mechanisms for new music.  The radio is dead for the mostpart.  But IMHO, it's been in decline for well over 10-15 years, so that's not news.  Music stores are in decline, the place you used to go, similar to a bookstore, just to browse.  We've been doing that online now since before the decline of the radio, but has it ever been the same?  Yes and no, depends on who you ask! So what's the reason for the lack of interest, enthusiasm, and energy behind the new music of the past 10 plus years?  Does the generation you're in play a part in that?  It does up to a point.  Is it partly that the music doesn't "speak" to you the way it used to?  Is it all derivative?   Or can you just say you don't like it, and that's all you need to say?!  No argument from me on that, as long as you've at least tried to find some new music and can say that none of it has appealed to you.  With all due respect, Matty,  a bunch of the bands in your list were not bands formed in the aughts  (Radiohead, Wilco, Sleater Kinney, Muse, Guster,etc., and yes you did say emerged OR created) but have made killer releases in the aughts, so I am wondering if perhaps it's also a matter of staying power, I mean, not feeling you can scream too loud about a new artist because for all you know, they'll just go bust after their first release?  I think I know of more "new" music that I think I do, but I've waited to get praiseworthy about it, and certainly to purchase it.  I bought my first Wilco CD a long time ago, but didn't really think they were that great until a long time later, if you see what I mean.  Seems crazy to me now, but who knew? In my own snobby head, and I've said this before, I haven't followed true mainstream music for a very long time, and the only reason I even know any Lady Gaga songs is because of the music used in cardio/fitness classes that I take.  But I also got to know the Kings of Leon that way. Full disclosure: I've had lots and LOTS of friends (significant and other-wise) who have given me so much in the way of exposure to (new) music.  I've hung out with people who are obsessed with music and some who make their living at it.  I know I would not even own some of the music I own (and love) if it were not for them. And finally, yeah, I like some of that ethereal "yoga" type music (not enya) so I have spent some of my time discovering that, too.  
    Posted by yogafriend

All good points, yoga...as usual, you give me a new perspective.  Disclosure: I'm no spring chicken myself.  One of my high school jobs was in a Record Town at the local mall when we still sold concert tickets on site.  My wife was a manager at a similar store, so our experiences are similar even if our tastes vary.  Newbury Comics is still one of my favorite stores - some habits never go away.  :)

My main point is that my experience with 25+ years of music fandom gives me a quicker reference mechanism so that I tend to know what I like when I hear it and what I don't.  For some people, it's a more organic and natural response, while mine is more of a process.  That same body of knowledge serves to recognize a name I've heard before or a tune I've stored away somewhere. 

I think part of it comes from having a background in art where you're trained in the "art" of recall - to simultaneously absorb influences and yet not outright copy them.  As such, you learn to make connections between amorphous styles and movements. There's also no doubt that surrounding myself with creatively similar minds opens up worlds I might not have found myself.

The 90s spillover was kind of inevitable. I saw Flaming Lips at one of the first lollapalooza festivals and Wilco at one of the original horde tours.  ("The Soft Bulletin" would make my 90s shortlist and Radiohead's "Pablo Honey" came out in 1993.) The more I think of it, the more bands I would include (Spoon, Built To Spill, Supergrass,  etc.).  If anything, perhaps more can be gleaned about my tastes from the bands I didn't mention (Train, anyone? :P).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

you're so smart!

i know a few of the bands matty mentioned (and i mentioned as well) have origins dating in the 90s, but the albums that i listed (and many, many more) were pretty defining moments (at least for me) of the aughts.

but your second post makes me say "you're so smart!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I saw Flaming Lips at one of the first lollapalooza festivals and Wilco at one of the original horde tours.  ("The Soft Bulletin" would make my 90s shortlist and Radiohead's "Pablo Honey" came out in 1993.) The more I think of it, the more bands I would include (Spoon, Built To Spill, Supergrass,  etc.).  If anything, perhaps more can be gleaned about my tastes from the bands I didn't mention (Train, anyone? :P).
    Posted by MattyScornD

transmissions from the satellite(sp?) heart is my favorite 90s era lips album. it holds a place very close to my soul...

still haven't completely listened to zaireeka yet. i dont have four separate cd players in my apartment. i will get to it one day though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

When history starts speaking, I am sure this past decade will have its place. Please forgive me if I don't know any of it besides the few songs that do get some radio time: Kings of Leon, etc.

Matty has become a source for me to learn about the bands of the last 10 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : All good points, yoga...as usual, you give me a new perspective.  Disclosure: I'm no spring chicken myself.  One of my high school jobs was in a Record Town at the local mall when we still sold concert tickets on site.  My wife was a manager at a similar store, so our experiences are similar even if our tastes vary.  Newbury Comics is still one of my favorite stores - some habits never go away.  :) My main point is that my experience with 25+ years of music fandom gives me a quicker reference mechanism so that I tend to know what I like when I hear it and what I don't.  For some people, it's a more organic and natural response, while mine is more of a process.  That same body of knowledge serves to recognize a name I've heard before or a tune I've stored away somewhere.  I think part of it comes from having a background in art where you're trained in the "art" of recall - to simultaneously absorb influences and yet not outright copy them.  As such, you learn to make connections between amorphous styles and movements. There's also no doubt that surrounding myself with creatively similar minds opens up worlds I might not have found myself. The 90s spillover was kind of inevitable. I saw Flaming Lips at one of the first lollapalooza festivals and Wilco at one of the original horde tours.  ("The Soft Bulletin" would make my 90s shortlist and Radiohead's "Pablo Honey" came out in 1993.) The more I think of it, the more bands I would include (Spoon, Built To Spill, Supergrass,  etc.).  If anything, perhaps more can be gleaned about my tastes from the bands I didn't mention (Train, anyone? :P).
    Posted by MattyScornD

Train to me is either they knock it out of the park, or it irritates me to death.
    Hey, Soul Sister being on the irritates me list! Not because it's over played, because his vocals sound so high and whinny, I can't get all the way through it. They should have filtered/soften his vocals for my taste on that track. Overall good band though, well rehearst live.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have not reached that saturation point just yet, but I do know this: listening to music, and learning about it is one thing, but having it mean something is quite another.   And I do think that as we go through life, the ability for (new) music to take on meaning does feel different, and is perhaps, more difficult to define.   We are listening to it because we enjoy it and like it, but not because it's ripping our guts out with emotion. 
    Posted by yogafriend

So true.  Sometimes I try to figure out why I'm still so stuck on music of a certain time period.  It's like I took ownership of it, or it took ownership of me.  There's a bond there.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : Train to me is either they knock it out of the park, or it irritates me to death. Hey, Soul Sister being on the irritates me list! Not because it's over played, because his vocals sound so high and whinny, I can't get all the way through it. They should have filtered/soften his vocals for my taste on that track. Overall good band though, well rehearst live.   
    Posted by newman09

that chord progression is so catchy and so overused. it's the same thing as jason mraz's i'm yours, with only very minute differences to make it okay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That 'Hey Soul Sister' song irritates the heck out of me.  The lyrics are so smarmy.  It comes off as contrived commercial ear candy.  But it's probably making them a bundle.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

That 'Hey Soul Sister' song irritates the heck out of me.  The lyrics are so smarmy.  It comes off as contrived commercial ear candy.  But it's probably making them a bundle.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Not that the Grammy Awards mean anything, but yes, they are probably quite fine financially:

"Best Pop Performance by a Group or Duo with Vocals - 'Hey, Soul Sister (Live),' Train"

Not wild about them, they're not a terrible band, but this song  ... yes, it's terrible.  

Sections
Shortcuts