In Defense Of The 2000s...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: In Defense Of The 2000s...

In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : Of the 60s and 70s, no contest.  Of the 80s and 90s...it may be closer than we think, especially due to the decline of radio. Forum..??  What do you think...??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I think 2000s are the worst, period.  But part of that may be I almost gave up on trying to find new music, relying more on what other people happen to be playing when I'm in their car/visiting them.  Perhaps i ought to listen to some of the stuff you've listed. 

I certainly know some of it.

I mean the 80s were pretty awful for me too, since I despise the synth sound.  But so many great serious rock bands started in the second half of that decade that I can't say it was a bad one. 

Basically, I say the worst periods were:  1975-1985, 2000-2011.

I say the best periods were:  1963-1974; 1985-1996.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In Defense Of The 2000s... : I think 2000s are the worst, period.  But part of that may be I almost gave up on trying to find new music, relying more on what other people happen to be playing when I'm in their car/visiting them.  Perhaps i ought to listen to some of the stuff you've listed.  I certainly know some of it. I mean the 80s were pretty awful for me too, since I despise the synth sound.  But so many great serious rock bands started in the second half of that decade that I can't say it was a bad one.  Basically, I say the worst periods were:  1975-1985, 2000-2011. I say the best periods were:  1963-1974; 1985-1996.
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your outspokenness.

One thing that I liked about the early 80's was you had that resurgence of good metal with bands like Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Iron Maiden really in their glory, Sabbath with Ronnie Dio, BOC's Fire of Unknown Origin, the Heavy Metal movie and soundtrack... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Your skipping a whole group that probably financially dominated the decade, this I know because they got a lot of my money.  The Tweeners.  These Kids got talent.

Demi Lovato
    Miley Cyrus
    Taylor Swift
    Jonas Brothers
    Selena Gomez
    Miranda Cosgrove

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Perhaps i ought to listen to some of the stuff you've listed.  I certainly know some of it. Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

check out my post on the first page, i narrowed it down to the ones that (IMHO) matter the most, or sum up the period.

some seriously good stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

bump

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Radio, shmadio. 

With the advent of smart phones, the sources for music is endless.  Virtually every radio station in the world is available, not to mention Pandora.  I've been introduced to a ton of new bands via Pandora.

I have HD radio in my car - nearly every local radio station has HD1 and HD2 versions with some having an HD3.  If I had satellite radio, I'd have even more sources of music at my finger tips. 

I think the issue is that budding musicians have more directions that they can go towards.  50 years ago, if you wanted to play new music and rebel, it was rock.  Now. it's more likely to be Rap or metal, or whatever.

Could Rock be going the way of Jazz?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]bump
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    bump back.  Thank you for the dance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Radio, shmadio.  With the advent of smart phones, the sources for music is endless.  Virtually every radio station in the world is available, not to mention Pandora.  I've been introduced to a ton of new bands via Pandora. I have HD radio in my car - nearly every local radio station has HD1 and HD2 versions with some having an HD3.  If I had satellite radio, I'd have even more sources of music at my finger tips.  I think the issue is that budding musicians have more directions that they can go towards.  50 years ago, if you wanted to play new music and rebel, it was rock.  Now. it's more likely to be Rap or metal, or whatever. Could Rock be going the way of Jazz?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    Interesting points.  Only time will tell what can happen.

In sporting competition be happy for your opponent when they win but be very joyous when you win.  Hating to lose is kissing cousin to choke.